Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! (758 Views)

Senate Approves Reps’ Takeover Of Kogi Assembly / Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill / Why the "Anti-Gäy Marriage Bill" is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by muami(m): 2:56pm On Nov 29, 2011
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — Nigeria's Senate voted Tuesday to criminalize gay marriage, instituting prison terms of more than a decade for violations in a nation where gays and lesbians already face discrimination and abuse.

The bill heads to Nigeria's House of Representatives, who have to approve the bill and send it to President Goodluck Jonathan for his signature before it becomes a law. However, public opinion — and lawmakers' calls for even harsher penalties for being gay — shows wide support for the measure in the deeply religious nation.

"Such elements in society should be killed," Sen. Baba Dati said during the debate.

Under the measure, couples who marry could face up to 14 years in jail, and witnesses or anyone who helps couples marry could be sentenced to 10 years behind bars. That's an increase over the bill's initial penalties.

Homosexuality is already technically illegal in Nigeria, a country evenly divided between Christians and Muslims that is nearly universally opposed to homosexuality. In the areas in Nigeria's north where Islamic Shariah law has been enforced for about a decade, gays and lesbians can face death by stoning.

Across the African continent, many countries have made homosexuality punishable by jail sentences. Ugandan legislators introduced a bill that would impose the death penalty for some gays and lesbians, though it has not been passed into law two years later. Even in South Africa, the one country where gays can marry, lesbians have been brutally attacked and murdered.

The proposed law also has drawn the interest of European Union countries, some of which already offer Nigeria's sexual minorities asylum based on gender identity. The British government also recently threatened to cut aid to African countries that violate the rights of gay and lesbian citizens. However, British aid remains quite small in oil-rich Nigeria, one of the top crude suppliers to the U.S.

International opinion also didn't seem to trouble lawmakers. During the debate, televised live from National Assembly in Nigeria's capital Abuja, Senate President David Mark said Nigeria would not bow to international pressure on any legislation.

"Anybody can write to us, but our values are our values," Mark said. "No country has a right to interfere in the way we make our laws."
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 29, 2011
[size=14pt]+100
Let them keep their nonsensical faggotry bullshit, to the confines of their private rooms!. . . Nonsense[/size]
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 29, 2011
thank god oooooooooooo!!!! cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
so no more of those man-lovers trying to rape me when i visit lagos cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 29, 2011
If the USA and Britain threaten to cut off all aid to nigeria i wont be surprised if the Govt retrieves the anti man-lover marriage bill cheesy
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by muami(m): 3:18pm On Nov 29, 2011
tom28:

If the USA and Britain threaten to cut off all aid to nigeria i wont be surprised if the Govt retrieves the anti man-lover marriage bill cheesy

They already threathened and the speed in the enactment of the bill is in responve to that threath. in other words, we don't need their aid. They should give it to countries like Greece, Italy, Ireland etc
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 29, 2011
They already threathened and the speed in the enactment of the bill is in responve to that threath. in other words, we don't need their aid. They should give it to countries like Greece, Italy, Ireland etc
[size=14pt]+100
In other words, they should roll up the aid and shove it up their arses, or better still, roll it up, light it, smoke it and choke on it! cool
[/size]
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by Hardunnii(f): 3:43pm On Nov 29, 2011
This is lovely, a good step in dealing with such ugly, UNGODLY n immoral act
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by Honeycity(f): 3:51pm On Nov 29, 2011
dont really know how true this is, but sometimes ago i was made to believe that some of those senators are man lovers lipsrsealed
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 29, 2011
Useless country
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by bekay911(f): 4:20pm On Nov 29, 2011
Finally we stand, atleast beta dan dat legalisation of prostitution by ekweremmuo.
@ d same tym opportunity to get visa, just go embassy tell em say u wan go do gay marriage abroad dat our country ban am i fnk dey will giv u
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by lindabon: 4:25pm On Nov 29, 2011
REALITY101:

Useless country

Seconded!!
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by Hardunnii(f): 4:27pm On Nov 29, 2011
REALITY101:

Useless country
Cos we dont want you Why dont u go where u will be accepted
Re: Senate Approves Anti-gay Marriage Bill! by OAM4J: 4:50pm On Nov 29, 2011

(1)

Deltan's Of Nairalanders / Oil Subsidy Removal: I’ll Lead Sng To Protest If – Tunde Bakare / I Will Cease To Be A Nigerian In 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.