Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,881 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:13 AM

V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) (24954 Views)

7 Myths About Fuel Economy / Advice On Long Distance Journey / Impact Of Cbn's Cashless Economy On Auto Transactions in Nigeria. Postive Or Negative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Ikenna351(m): 5:35pm On Nov 29, 2011
Last Saturday night, 27/11/2011, I filed my car's fuel tank, Peugeot 605 V6. The tank takes 80 liters, which cost me N5,200 (five thousand, two hundred naira only). The next day, 28/11/2011, i drove off and headed Abuja. Before I got to Akure, i was expecting the fuel guage to be indicating low fuel level, but it was still indicating above half tank. I fired on and arrived Lokoja, after about 8 or 9 hrs high speed drive. The fuel guage was indicating 31 liters remaining in the tank. Hm! I was amazed! I fired on to Abuja from Lokoja, after mins of stopping at Lokoja. I arrived my house in Abuja about 2 hrs or so i drove off from Lokoja and the fuel guage was indicating 14 liters remaining in the fuel tank. I couldnt believe it! One full tank, in V6 car, on high speed, brought me from Lagos to Abuja. In fact, the car used only 68 or so liters from the 800km or so on the journey. It was unbelievable! cool

Whats the complain then about V6 running very thirsty? Am sure not all I4's can run from Lagos to Abuja with N4500 fuel (70 liters). Am very sure that Lagos to Abuja is more than 800 km. Though, i know V6s can be thirsty when driven in the cities, but have better fuel economy than most I4's i know off, on long distance.

It was a wonderful experience.

Ikenna.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by chelseabmw(m): 5:47pm On Nov 29, 2011
Nice Observation
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by CLASSMAN: 7:29pm On Nov 29, 2011
v6 consumes less fuel on highway speed
cheers
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Emperoh(m): 7:33pm On Nov 29, 2011
Poster

Your observation is not new to me this is given my experience driving most V6 vehicles from Lagos to
the East. On full tank, my next refuelling will be at Asaba just to be sure i will get to where i am going without
hitting reserve. This has been my experience with the following cars; 2003 Nissan Murano 2ice, 2003 Honda Accord V6, 2007 Honda Odyssey, 2002 Toyota Avalon, 2002 Mazda 626 ES V6, 2006 Honda Accord V6 to mention a few.
As of getting to Asaba as most of my trips end in Either Awka or Enugu, it's normally at 1/4 tank.

On two occassions i did a 4 cylinder to the East, the full tank got me to my destination with with quarter tank left. Infact the second one was after a grueling 7 hours in Ore traffic (2001 Toyota Camry). The former being 206 Toyota Camry.

But the thing is this, like you said, V6s are not for city driving. Much less Lagos with its traffic. But try them on highways and you will ask yourself why 4 cylinders were ever made. I hate the 4 cylinders on a highway with a passion. The drag and sluggishness is just annoying.

But my best moment on a highway was with 2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Sport Edition.
The car is a MONSTER! But be ready to pay for fuel.

I also think European V6 are better at conservation than the rest.
No basis for this conclusion other than my little experience.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Ikenna351(m): 8:59pm On Nov 29, 2011
What really impressed me was, if a 1990 605 V6 5-speed manual, an old technology, could be that conservative with fuel on highway/long distance, how then would the improved modern V6 behave with the on highway?

There could be some I4s with the same or better fuel economy on highways. But you stand to gain more with V6. Why? With the good fuel economy of V6 on highways, you enjoy powerful performance or quickness of the car, most I4s wont give you. How do i mean? On my way to Abuja, i would meet a queue of vehicles following queue of 3 or 4 trucks behind, waiting for oncoming vehicles, still very far, to pass before they overtake, which takes eternity waiting. But whenever i reached such queues, I would bring the gear stick to gear 3, plant my foot little on the throttle pedal, off I went. It would zoom off or shoot like rocket. I would pass the queue in seconds & continued on my journey, while others behind would be waiting to get to straight road, without oncoming vehicle, before they could overtake the trucks. By then, i must have entered another state. I mean, it can be very fun, with the way V6 performs on highways. The speedometer, when accelerated, would behave or rises like the tachometer/rpm does. Damn! I love V6!

Most people hate long distance driving. But i have come to realise that the vehicle you drive for long distance determines if the journey will be boring or fun. If you take a boring car for a long distance driving, you will hate long distance driving. But if you take a fun, powerful & quick car for for that purpose, the hunger to travel everytime will become your new headache.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by sultaan(m): 11:33pm On Nov 29, 2011
~28mpg 18gals, 500miles you car doing good.

Wait till you get your hands on a V8, then you'll know why Americans are addicted to oil.

One of the joy on a hard day is to drive on the highway, no city traffic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by GWslim(f): 10:37am On Nov 30, 2011
You car must be new.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by sandee575(f): 10:41am On Nov 30, 2011
Technology and the rising cost of fuel have matched in delivering fuel economy. However, i believe fuel
consumption becomes a secondary consideration to a buyer of a performance car. Eat your cake and have it?
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by sugardaddy1(m): 10:52am On Nov 30, 2011
GWslim:

You car must be new.
Right on point.

From personal experience, the older a vehicle gets, the more fuel it consumes.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 10:58am On Nov 30, 2011
Nice observation @OP
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by cmon(m): 11:01am On Nov 30, 2011
Same happened to me. Used my V6 Tokunbo New 2003 Camry (Big Yansh) from Lagos to Owerri with AC all the way. The fuel gauge just hit reserve the moment I got home. cool
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by go4gold107(m): 11:04am On Nov 30, 2011
I did a 571km (Lagos to Enugu) on a Mitsubishi Endeavor 3.6L V6 Engine and the machine consumed only 71 litres.  The journey took me 10 hours due to numerous police checkpoints and traffic along the way.

V6 is way to go on highway.  In the city? Am afraid not so suitable. angry >:

on the same road, I used a 2004 Honda Civic I4 and consumed around 60 litres

Just 11 litres difference; but the power difference between the two engines cannot be measured  wink smiley

NB: AC never switched off

(
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Gluckdude(m): 11:23am On Nov 30, 2011
posters with observations, please be precise with your auto discoveries, so we are not lost. did you guys use ac while travelling? so naija folks are not mislead.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 30, 2011
Guys drive safe o!!!
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 30, 2011
GWslim:

You car must be new.

Bro, you're obviously not reading. It's a 1990 Peugeot 605, so how can it be new?  The majority of Nigerians just don't grasp the concept that fuel consumption is not directly proportional to engine size. Quite a lot is related to driving style, how well the engine is looked after, fuel quality and state of tune.

My Audi S8 4,2L V8 till date, has managed a best of 508 miles (823 kilometres) to a full tank, with mixed driving. Tank size is 90 litres, engine output is 360 bhp. I'm looking forward to summer, when I'll most likely be driving on the Continent, through France, Spain and Germany. It'll be interesting to see what my consumption will be like.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by nissparts(m): 12:10pm On Nov 30, 2011
The use or absence of AC in most modern cars is negligible on fuel economy except of course your AC was fully installed in Nigeria. smiley
Depending on the direction of the wind though, traveling on a highway with your windows rolled down will result in some drag which will impact on your fuel economy negatively.

1 Like

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by nissparts(m): 12:12pm On Nov 30, 2011
Siena,

Trust me, you cannot compare your Audi's fuel economy performance with that of a car used in Nigeria.

I can assure you that your Audi if shipped to Nigeria will be lucky to do 200miles to a tank.

Know why?

The quality of fuel sold in Nigeria.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Mex: 12:28pm On Nov 30, 2011
AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, THE DIFFERENCE IN FUEL CONSUMPTION B/W A V6 & I-4 IS INSIGNIFICANT SO YOU SHOULDN'T BE SURPRISED. TRY THAT IN TRAFFIC THOUGH AND IT'LL BE AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT STORY.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 30, 2011
nissparts:

Siena,

Trust me, you cannot compare your Audi's fuel economy performance with that of a car used in Nigeria.

I can assure you that your Audi if shipped to Nigeria will be lucky to do 200miles to a tank.

Know why?

The quality of fuel sold in Nigeria.

The main issue with regards the quality of fuel in Nigeria is the Octane rating. If I lived in Nigeria, I would use an appropriate Octane booster. Running a high-compression engine on low Octane fuel, even here in the UK results in higher fuel consumption.

My car has done a best of 429 miles (695 kilometres) to a tankful of 95 Octane gas, and 508 miles (823 kilometres) on 98 Octane. A massive difference - 79 miles (128 kilometres).

I'm also aware of the effects of head winds, aerodynamics, weight etc on fuel consumption.

1 Like

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by sexlog(m): 1:27pm On Nov 30, 2011
OP, u no like v6 reach me! My v6 honda legend na jet. When i leave abuja around 6a.m, i do arive lagos around 1pm.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by pannyman(m): 1:53pm On Nov 30, 2011
The fuel quality issue is quite serious. I read reviews of car owners in the US who report mixed driving mpg ratings of about 22 mpg for a V6 car and I just shake my head because I know rom experience that it's not possible in Nigeria.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by fm7070: 2:36pm On Nov 30, 2011
Are you all saying that 4 cylinder consume more fuel on long journey than v6 engines??

I have used my Carina E to do 1,200KM with 80litres. I can't see much difference with that and another v6 engine used for same distance
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by gentlegg(m): 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2011
sexlog:

OP, u no like v6 reach me! My v6 honda legend na jet. When i leave abuja around 6a.m, i do arive lagos around 1pm.
I dey feel you bros, Honda legend na highway jet. My leg is always on the break pedal while driving mine cos the car too run

nissparts:

The use or absence of AC in most modern cars is negligible on fuel economy except of course your AC was fully installed in Nigeria. smiley
Depending on the direction of the wind though, traveling on a highway with your windows rolled down will result in some drag which will impact on your fuel economy negatively.
You're 101% right. I installed AC here in Nigeria in my former Mitshubishi Gallant (4cylinder) and the fuel consumption difference while on AC is almost  X 2 to no AC. But my Honda Legend came with factory AC and i've noticed long time ago that with or without AC it's almost(if not exactly same) fuel consumption.

@OP
You're very right with your observation. V6 tends to consume almost same as or even lesser than 14 engine while on high-speed/highway. If at all there is a difference in fuel consumption, the difference in both car's performance outweighs it. In fact I will never buy a 4 cylinder engine car again in my life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by scholes23(m): 2:54pm On Nov 30, 2011
@ poster ur right in ur observations, 9ce one there. @ emperoh, ur view abt european cars beta dan japanese cars is wrong cos japanese v6 cars hav beta fuel economy dan european v6 cars. Take 4 instance benz is an european made vehicle. Wud u tell me dat wen it comes 2 fuel economy its beta dan japanese cars lyk toyota, honda or even nissan. If those observations u made was abt benz, i'll understand bt as 4 those cars u talked abt, i'ld say a big NO 2 dat cos i disagree wit u or may b those cars u used were d china spec. So i'ld conclude, @poster 10 ova 10, @emperor, go and do more homework.
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by scholes23(m): 2:57pm On Nov 30, 2011
@poster ur head is der
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2011
scholes23:

@ poster your right in your observations, 9ce one there. @ emperoh, your view abt european cars beta dan japanese cars is wrong cos japanese v6 cars hav beta fuel economy dan european v6 cars. Take 4 instance benz is an european made vehicle. Wud u tell me dat wen it comes 2 fuel economy its beta dan japanese cars lyk toyota, honda or even nissan. If those observations u made was abt benz, i'll understand bt as 4 those cars u talked abt, i'ld say a big NO 2 dat cos i disagree wit u or may b those cars u used were d china spec. So i'ld conclude, @poster 10 ova 10, @emperor, go and do more homework.

You're basing your opinion on emotion, you're a Japmobile fan, so understandable. I have driven Japmobiles, Euro and American cars, and compare accordingly. I work on automobile on a daily basis. As for telling posters to do their homework, what exactly do you want them to do?

There's nothing scientific, or remotely technical in your conclusion. You'll need to drive different cars back to back to conclude. And Chinese-spec cars, where do you get that from? A Toyota Camry assembled in China will be built with Japanese CKD kits, same as US models. The fact it was assembled in China will have little, or no bearing on fuel consumption.

1 Like

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by sexlog(m): 3:57pm On Nov 30, 2011
@Gentleleg, same to my honda legend. With or without A/C, d fuel consumption is same.
I also was just telling someone yesterday that i will never use a 4cylinder car again.
@sienna, wow! That would be lots of fun, driving through germany, france & spain!
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Wallie(m): 4:05pm On Nov 30, 2011
Siena already pointed out some of the reasons why you cannot just generalize that 4 cylinders consume more fuel that 6 cylinders.

To get the best fuel mileage for your vehicle, there are certain things within your control and others without.

Here are things within your control:

1. Speeding affects your fuel/gas mileage but not as much as you think. How fast you get up to speed (accelerate to get to your cursing speed) affects your gas mileage more. The secret is to be light on the gas pedal. But driving over 100 mph will burn more fuel because you need more power to overcome air resistance. Take a look at your RPM gauge that shows how much the engine is revved, you burn more fuel the higher the needle moves. Try to keep it below 2000 rpm when cruising.

2. Starting and stopping burns more fuel, which means that you burn more fuel by using your brakes. Highway driving burns less fuel because you only need fuel to keep the momentum going. A body in motion will tend to stay in motion.

3. Heavy load burns more fuel.

4. Underinflated tire burns more fuel because it creates more resistance rolling the tires. For the same reason, bald tires will actually use less fuel but good luck when trying to stop.

Here are things out of your control:

1. The weight of the actual car.

2. The efficiency of the engine. Some cars just have a bad design.

3. High performance cars will usually use more fuel because of the design to get more horsepower out of the engine. There is no secret formula to generate power (air + fuel = fire/combustion) but the secret/knowledge becomes how well you can manage the exact time the combustion takes place (this is called “timing” and when you don’t get it right, your engine “knocks”) and what air-to-fuel ratio are you using which affect how “rich” or “lean” your car runs.

However, there’s a trade off in how you control all the parameters above and what the designer will do will depend on their goal. I left out compression of the engine, which relates to how much the engine is designed to compress (pressurize) fuel before it ignites. This is why some cars are designed to use higher rated octane than others. Higher rated octane will take a lot of pressure before it ignites but NOT cheaper fuel. When you use cheaper or bad fuel, the computers in the car will detect the knock and retard timing (run less efficiently) to stop the engine from knocking which will make you consume more fuel.

4. Gearing. A Z06 Corvette gets 24 miles per gallon (9.8 L/100km) on the highway even though it has a 7.0L V8 that generates 505hp and 470ft-lbs because the last gear is designed for highway cruising, which means that at highway speeds, the RPM is very low (less than 2000).

In summary, you cannot just say a 6 cylinder consume less fuel than a 4 cylinder. Actually, with everything else being equal, a 4 cylinder will consume less fuel because the weight of the engine will be lower and you have two fewer cylinders to move.

1 Like

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by Wallie(m): 4:20pm On Nov 30, 2011
scholes23:

@ poster your right in your observations, 9ce one there. @ emperoh, your view abt european cars beta dan japanese cars is wrong cos japanese v6 cars hav beta fuel economy dan european v6 cars. Take 4 instance benz is an european made vehicle. Wud u tell me dat wen it comes 2 fuel economy its beta dan japanese cars lyk toyota, honda or even nissan. If those observations u made was abt benz, i'll understand bt as 4 those cars u talked abt, i'ld say a big NO 2 dat cos i disagree wit u or may b those cars u used were d china spec. So i'ld conclude, @poster 10 ova 10, @emperor, go and do more homework.

You have to compare apples to apples. Asian cars are usually not designed to extract every single ounce of horsepower out of the engine, which is why they are more efficient on average and also uninspiring to drive.

Here's an apple to apple comparison:

Nissan GTR is designed to extract horsepower out of the engine. It has a twin turbo 3.8L V6 engine with 530 hp and it gets 23 mpg highway (10.23 L/100km) / 16mpg city (14.7 L/100km).

Nissan GTR competes with Porsche Turbo. The Turbo also have a twin turbo 3.8 L V6 engine with 500 hp and gets 24 mpg highway/16mpg city.

The Porsche Turbo (German car) gets better gas mileage than the Nissan.

Generally speaking, it is hard comparing Asian cars with German cars because Germans focus on luxury and driving pleasure (engineering), and Asians focus on reliability and luxury.

1 Like

Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by babyboy3(m): 4:47pm On Nov 30, 2011
Bro, you're obviously not reading. It's a 1990 Peugeot 605, so how can it be new? The majority of Nigerians just don't grasp the concept that fuel consumption is not directly proportional to engine size. Quite a lot is related to driving style, how well the engine is looked after, fuel quality and state of tune.

My Audi S8 4,2L V8 till date, has managed a best of 508 miles (823 kilometres) to a full tank, with mixed driving. Tank size is 90 litres, engine output is 360 bhp. I'm looking forward to summer, when I'll most likely be driving on the Continent, through France, Spain and Germany. It'll be interesting to see what my consumption will be like.

I was going to say the same its the driving style, did you watch an episode of Top Gear when the host to took an Audi to Scotland and back using one full tank
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by guht: 4:58pm On Nov 30, 2011
It's not new. V6 tends to have fuel efficiency when on highways. But a 4 cylinder that is well tuned would do better. I drove my honda Accord 1998 model from Lagos to the east with 3/4 tank because of police stops and then from east back to Lagos with 1/2 with no police stops; and the ac on all through both journeys.

Cheers.

TL
Re: V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) by dshiznitplata(m): 5:51pm On Nov 30, 2011
@Siena, wats ur intake on the 1998 model of the suzuki vitara, do you tink it has a good fuel economy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Everything You Need To Know About Your Tyres (In Pictures) / Volvo Promises Deathproof Cars By 2020 Using These Features / Vehicle History-Safety & Recalls Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.