Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,293 members, 7,887,871 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:32 PM

Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar (7278 Views)

Nigerians Experience Relief As Prices Of Sugar, Indomie, Others Drop / Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar / Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by treesun: 11:29am On Jul 10
It is a tale of woes as an acute scarcity of one of Nigerians’ most popular staple foods, bread, has hit Kaduna, Katsina, and Kano States.

Checks by the News Agency of Nigeria correspondents revealed that the most-favoured staple was now as scarce as petrol or the highly-prized precious metal, Gold.

It was observed that whereas the commodity was very hard to come by, its prices have hit the roof.

Many of the residents could no longer afford the staple and, as such had turned to other not-too-cheap alternatives like noodles, millet porridge, and bean cake, as well as bread and beans, among others.

The prices of the commodity have also been increased by between 20 to 40 per cent.

Many shop owners and consumers have vehemently lamented the obnoxious development, appealing for urgent action to redress the ugly trend.

One of the bakers, who craves anonymity, told NAN in Kaduna, ”It is not that we are on strike, but we have had to stop production since 1st July 2024.

“This unfortunate development was necessitated by the scarcity of wheat flour and its high cost, as well as sugar, oil, and other additives.

“For instance, in June, we were buying a 50kg bag of flour for between N53,000 to N55,000, has regrettably skyrocketed to between N67,000 to N70,000.

“How can we produce bread and also break even under this precarious situation?“

Some bread sellers and consumers in Kaduna State decried the scarcity of bread around the state metropolis, saying that it had affected their businesses and daily lives.

A tea and bread seller, Haidar Basiru, said he usually buys 100 loaves of bread but due to the ongoing paucity, he was able to get only 30 loaves, which had finished already.

”The bakeries are saying they are on strike due to a hike in flour and sugar. This development has seriously affected our businesses as we usually operate in the mornings and evenings.

“But, from the look of things, we may not come out in the evening due to bread shortage. In fact, most of my colleagues operating around this axis in Kasuwan barci have not opened today, “
he said.

Similarly, Mrs Kafayat Sadiq, a provisions seller, stated that she couldn’t get bread to stock in her shop since Tuesday, saying that her supplier had complained of the high cost of flour.

A resident, Abdullahi Muhammad, said, “I went to the shop in the morning to buy bread, which would be eaten as breakfast in my house but unfortunately, I couldn’t get it.

”I had to buy spaghetti for the children to eat and go to school since there is no bread; I hope the issue will be alleviated soon.”

A resident of Funtua, Funtua Local Government Area of Katsina State, Aliyu Idris, told NAN that the prices of bread have also gone up in the state.

He said, ”For instance, a loaf of bread that was selling for between N 200 before now goes for N 400. This has affected all the sizes of the bread.”

Idris also stated that tea sellers and shop owners were now finding it very hard to get the commodity for sale to their customers.

In Kano State, a resident also corroborated the scenarios in Kaduna and Katsina States, saying, “A loaf of bread formerly selling for N600 before now goes for N 800.

https://punchng.com/bread-scarcity-hits-kaduna-katsina-kano/

1 Like

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by EreluRoz: 11:31am On Jul 10
Bread too is affected hmmm honestly I expected more than this

7 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by CyrusVI: 11:43am On Jul 10
Lets keep pushing
Nigerians should persevere a little more. We are almost there

These reforms were necessary and it can only get better from here on

Also, they can stop eating bread for now. I dont even eat that shii. I stopped eating it like 13years ago when i also stopped taking tea

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Thundafireseun: 11:46am On Jul 10
Artificial scarcity just to inflate price….

Here in Delta state the prices of bread has significantly increased and we are not complaining about it…..

That’s why we have bread in abundance

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by helinues: 11:46am On Jul 10
Toh

Just because I am educated, I can't work at bakery

Why should educated me be working as a block molder

God forbids for me as an educated person to work as a car wash man.

Some of those minor jobs are even profitable than the office work the so called educated ones are waiting for .

Hunger and hardship go definitely make the brain to reset

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by DSimple33: 11:47am On Jul 10
Too bad
Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Forumites: 11:49am On Jul 10
Is this not the same KKK states that removed Jonathan? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 This is just the beginning.

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Beremx(f): 11:49am On Jul 10
CyrusV.I:
Lets keep pushing

Also, they can stop eating bread for now. I dont even eat that shii. I stopped eating it like 13years ago when i also stopped taking tea
🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Racoon(m): 11:54am On Jul 10
Chai! All the famed KKK states are being hit hard by the famed Tinubu’s Muslim Muslim ticket Tinubulation

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by iwaeda: 11:54am On Jul 10
treesun:

https://punchng.com/bread-scarcity-hits-kaduna-katsina-kano/

Buredii ti scarce too.
Ebi pawon. We warned Tinubu doesn't have capacity to safe Nigeria, but they see us as enemy. The beginning of woes. Like the Holy Book, the first woe has not passed
grin grin grin grin grin cry cry cry cry

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Emeskhalifa(m): 11:58am On Jul 10
Didn't they vote for the hardship we are currently facing in this country? They should enjoy it na

What's annoying me is the fact that these same people will still vote rubbish come 2027 cry

Slaves that are in love with the chains on their necks

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by 99thEnemy(m): 11:58am On Jul 10
Man must not live by bread alone. grin

3 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Houseofglam7(f): 11:58am On Jul 10
😫😫😫😫

1 Like

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Curious345: 11:59am On Jul 10
Lord please oooo.

Senator Ndume said bulaba has locked himself Inn and is not receiving anyone,even his ministers .
Seem like Naija problems have overwhelmed him.. eyahh😭😭🥲🥲😮‍💨😮‍💨

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by sweetkev(m): 12:00pm On Jul 10
Is bread you people are complaining of now abi ?

By this time next year, you will hardly see ordinary pure water sachets on the table of the poor.

The era of ice water in nylon is back. Courtesy baba Seyi grin

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by 99thEnemy(m): 12:00pm On Jul 10
Racoon:
Chai! All the famed KKK states are being hit hard by the famed Tinubu’s Muslim Muslim ticket Tinubulation
Where is Kebbi ? 🙃

2 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Brendaniel: 12:00pm On Jul 10
EreluRoz:
Bread too is affected hmmm honestly I expected more than this

CyrusVI:
Lets keep pushing

helinues:
Toh

Some of those minor jobs are even profitable than the office work the so called educated ones are waiting for .

Look at the people sane Nigerians are sharing country with, these are the type of people supporting Tinubu, I have asked myself many times if these people are really human beings...

The bad part is they try to gaslight the sane people in Nigeria to believe that they are the normal people, but reality keeps exposing them, just read their comments and see for yourself.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by BABANGBALI: 12:00pm On Jul 10
Na who dey follow una eat bread, where yam, beans and rice dey
Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Anguldi(m): 12:00pm On Jul 10
Agbado founder of Lagos is a disaster tongue

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by ruggedboych: 12:00pm On Jul 10
Beremx:
🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

madam stop being disrespectful, most of us here have wife way older than you. angry angry sad sad

2 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:00pm On Jul 10
Proverbs 29;2 When the righteous thrive, the people rejoice; when the wicked rule, the people groan.

The wicked rule because the people voted for them.
The people groan because they place their trust and hope on the wicked.

6 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 12:02pm On Jul 10
CyrusVI:
Lets keep pushing

You want break Manna's record?
Because he did his thing for eight years o.
Are you ready?

Buhari was Darling Daddy.
You mà, you never even get pet name for ThuvB.

You Sha no serious.

21 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by mind1225: 12:02pm On Jul 10
CyrusVI:
Lets keep pushing

get out

11 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by mrvitalis(m): 12:03pm On Jul 10
To think I remember buying 50kg of poor for 10k under Jonathan is crazy

7 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Beremx(f): 12:03pm On Jul 10
ruggedboych:

madam stop being disrespectful, most of us here have wife way older than you. angry angry sad sad
your mentions are becoming nauseating. What is the colour of your problem?

12 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by TheRealestGuy(m): 12:03pm On Jul 10
helinues:
Toh

The bakery owner in this report cited the increasing cost of raw materials as the reason many of their colleagues are packing up.

Of course you saw that but in your WhatsApp group, you have been told to apply deflectionary tactics on every thread that indicts Tinubu your pay master.

Or to say toh.

But trust me, it's no longer working wink

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by janedonez(m): 12:05pm On Jul 10
Can a seah of fine flour ever sell for a shekel in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by 6ixT8: 12:05pm On Jul 10
It's getting messier out there. A slice loaf of bread goas as high as 1.7k a #200 increase with a week!

2 Likes

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by Atuero(m): 12:05pm On Jul 10
helinues:
Toh

You are ignorantly heartless
Making mockery of people misery because of your support for a clueless incompetent election bandit?

Haba mallam

Be reasonable for once na

If the educated take over those jobs you enumerated what will the uneducated be doing ?

Besides, what is the expected daily income and daily family expenditures?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by RepoMan007: 12:05pm On Jul 10
We have used forex meant to import flour to build phone rails in advance. Let them chill.
Re: Inflation: Scarcity of bread Hits Kaduna, Katsina, Kano as prices soar by salem1996: 12:05pm On Jul 10
iwaeda:

Buredii ti scarce too.
Ebi pawon. We warned Tinubu doesn't have capacity to safe Nigeria, but they see us as enemy. The beginning of woes. Like the Holy Book, the first woe has not passed
grin grin grin grin grin cry cry cry cry

You're not serious... See as E use the Bible term well grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

18 Health Benefits Of Ofada/brown Rice. / NAFDAC Workers Suspend Strike / Bags Of Irish Potatoes Available At Cheap Prices!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.