Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:35 AM

Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. (10828 Views)

My Parents Divorce Left My Life In Shambles / The Ordeal Of Staying With Your Uncle's Or Brother's Wife / Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Exponental(m): 7:39pm On Dec 02, 2011
Let's assume ur parents-inlaws move 2 ur marital house due an unavoidable/pitiful reason.
If it will take them like 5yrs @ least 2 stay n they behave like ur parents.
Will u ask ur husband to send them out?
Will u leave d house?
Will u live 2geda as cat n dog?

Age is likely telling on them n there live experiences are scarring them.
Try avoid arguments, give them calls, check on them, show them love in ur own little way, be friendly. Take it up as an assignment 2 live peaceful (@ least if u av a peaceful assignment @ ur place of work, u wont cos of dat resign).
Dont 4get, they love u dearly, cos they arent called "the barren" cos u exist n dats a pride 2 every parent.

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by godman01(m): 10:11pm On Dec 02, 2011
If you're matured enough and responsible for yourself and demand to leave the house, i believe they won't decline.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Outstrip(f): 10:37pm On Dec 02, 2011
26 year old only child that is female and Nigerian to boot grin grin grin Finish your studies and get a job far far away somewhere like Alaska where they have to take 7 planes and 2 boats to get to you

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 02, 2011
if u want so bad to leave, then leave!
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by babseg(m): 2:23am On Dec 03, 2011
Hey taitan, come and live wif me for free. I don't even live in 9ja I live in UK. A good way to run far from ur parents grin
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by iice(f): 2:21pm On Dec 03, 2011
Outstrip:

26 year old only child that is female and Nigerian to boot grin grin grin Finish your studies and get a job far far away somewhere like Alaska where they[b] have to take 7 planes and 2 boats to get to you[/b]

Lmao!
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by prince3342(m): 3:30pm On Dec 03, 2011
a
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by twinkle87(f): 6:03pm On Dec 03, 2011
andyanders:

I think you must have over stayed yourself at the age of 26. For you to live like cat and dog with your parents goes to show that there is that character of yours that must have been the course of the problem with them. We Africans tend to tolerate their children more than their foreign counterpart, no mater their age. Unless you say your mother and father were brought up in the United States or their likes whereby at the age of eighteen, you should be talking of trying to be independent.

At 26, age is not by your side. You must at this point in your live be with a man and planning towards settling down no mater your education. If your parents has seen you with serious relationship, they will still not be a problem to you, rather to encourage you to stand and by advising you.

Cat and dog issue with your parents at that age, goes to show that you have a funny character which you never stated. Expose your other side of life because as an African, we tolerate and your parents can tolerate you. I wait for you to come up so that you can get a positive response.

Why MUST she be with a man at 26? some people make this relartionship issue a do or die affair. Na wa oh!

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by obowunmi(m): 6:31pm On Dec 03, 2011
DO you want her to become a old hag before she gets married ?
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Galaxy7: 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2011
Cat/Dog as in?? Re u strong headed??
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by mimi234: 11:11pm On Dec 03, 2011
prince3342:

I think, there should be some reasons beyond what you said that your parents might not want to tell you because they might feel, you will find a way to falsely defend yourself. But, I believe they want the best for you.

This is my present situation,  I am residing in the States. I have this lady I want to marry, shes 27 but we always fought because she wants to be by herself of which I opposed,  I have been to her parents, and I have let them know I dont want her to be alone. Up till now, we are still fighting over the issue, shes presently staying with her Mum. Everybody is telling her that you dont need it but she wouldnt listen and thats is a red flag to me,  So, am still taking my time to see if she is the right person I can bring here or not before I proceed with the marriage.

But the truth is that, allowing her to secure a personal place will triggered many unfaithful attitudes but I never told her that because I know she will find a way to falsely defend herself. When, the pressure was too much I sent her to London for 2 weeks visit after like 5 months she started again with this issue of personal place,  I finally agreed and I secured her a place @ Maryland in Lagos BUT AT THIS POINT IF SHES NOT CAREFUL SHE WILL LOSE ME because I am watching her seriously to the extend that all her cell phones, laptop are tapped,  If I discover any small unpleasant attitude, Trust me THATS GAME OVER. I made her understand that I feel more secured with her parents than her living alone but you wouldnt listen.  Right now, as I am talking to you guys here,  Am ready to lose with any small mistake.

ah ha what kind rubbish, you taped her cell and laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTFFFFFFFFF, you are acting like you own her, your a very very strange guy. I will admit most women would be thrilled to move in with their hubby however everyone is different. She probably just wants to gain some independence which is understandable. Imagine living with your parents your whole life and then you move straight into marriage shocked (especially with someone like you , most probably be controlling her like a maid).

In my opinion let her move in an apartment just make sure its not too far from her parents so at least their is some watchful eyes around simple!

, tbh I don't even understand why people do this long distance relationship for longgg, what relationship is that where your living in the states and shes in Nigeria undecided, #complications things like this i run away from looool, anyway sha its your calling. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by prince3342(m): 11:37pm On Dec 03, 2011
mimi234:

ah ha what kind rubbish, you taped her cell and laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTFFFFFFFFF, you are acting like you own her, your a very very strange guy. I will admit most women would be thrilled to move in with their hubby however everyone is different. She probably just wants to gain some independence which is understandable. Imagine living with your parents your whole life and then you move straight into marriage shocked (especially with someone like you , most probably be controlling her like a maid).

In my opinion let her move in an apartment just make sure its not too far from her parents so at least their is some watchful eyes around simple!

, tbh I don't even understand why people do this long distance relationship for longgg, what relationship is that where your living in the states and shes in Nigeria undecided, #complications things like this i run away from looool, anyway sha its your calling. Good luck

If you call it rubbish thats your own perception, but for me to act like that,  just believe that its because I love her if not we would have gone different ways and I believe she knows it,  I am not a controlling guy and of course she does have her privacy,  But let me ask you a question,  How will you feel if a lady called or sent you a message on Facebook and that person happened to be ur partner ex gf,  telling you the affairs they have been having to the extend of aborting despite the fact you have already shown up to your in-laws and the wedding is on the way? will you still continue the relationship or will you ever trust ur partner again? I was in Nigeria, I told her that I want her do some tests I could see in her eyes that she was uncomfortable and to make it more understandable I said I am gonna do some tests too. Mimi234!!! I know why I did all these, You need to know alot about the person you gonna be for life with. To me, all these are necessary and I dont have to react any secret leaked to me. I will never advise anyone in my life to go for long distance relationship, I learnt alot and am still learning,
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by cynthiafred67(f): 12:11am On Dec 04, 2011
i think u should wait until u are through wit school, and get a job. Trust me u don't want leave ur parents house without a job, unless u want to go and get married. Which may not be a bad idea.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Tatian(f): 1:23am On Dec 04, 2011
I Thank every one of you for contributing to this topic. To the question of why we live like cat n dog , if I must be sincere I think its because I do not have a job now . But I pray to secure one soonest to the glory of God
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by janiebravo(f): 10:06am On Dec 05, 2011
@poster i feel u, i am actually in the same predicament. I am 26 and i have a 5 yr old kid, with the way things are in 9ja, i really need the free accommodation plus i need d family setting for my kid, there are other loads of bills to take care of, school fees, clothing, etc and with an almost absentee baby daddy its all on my head, but i am just sick and tired of staying with them, everyday is a fight, i never do anything right, i"m home from work as early as 6pm, they complain, i stay out a bit late and when i say late i mean like 8 or 9pm, they complain, i stay indoors on weekends, its fight, i go out, its a war. I really want to leave but it would be really hard coping. So i guess i have to keep enduring, hopefully soon i'l save up enough money to move out or some rich dude comes marry me off grin

Meanwhile i have to like 2shuz said, keep my mouth shut when they start talking, i admit to having a hot head and shouting back sometimes.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by 2shuz: 10:56am On Dec 05, 2011
Tatian:

I Thank every one of you for contributing to this topic. To the question of why we live like cat n dog , if I must be sincere I think its because I do not have a job now . But I pray to secure one soonest to the glory of God

embarassed My dear. i realy feel for you especially the "not having a job part". Parents can be the strangest people on earth sometimes. they act in funny/frustrating ways thinking its a way to push you and make you push harder so as to get the job or get married. Believe me, they really want you to get that job, meet a nice young man and leave the house  grin dont mind all this people talking about a boyfriend or a husband, if you move in with him , you will become a liability o shocked: at 26years you are not any old hag. in the world today 40years and unmariied are not old hags, i dont pray you get there sha. dont let frustration get you to settle for anything less, be it a husband or a job or even loose your relationship with your parents. You are all they have and they are all you have. All those uncles and aunts will do worse than them o!

You need them now and believe me they need you too even when they act the way they do. Pray withhout season for favor. You will get a job, but you must search for the job. Since you are in part time studies try to get a job no matter how small it pays, it gives one a sence of self worth. 26years is not old. i got married in my 30's and at that time i had learnt to live with my parents by keeping my mouth shut and being calm, sweetheart this helped me a lot in my marriage.

Manage them very well, keep your lips shut 90% of the time, the only time you can open it is when you have energy to explain anything in calm. Face your studies, graduate with a good degree cos if not you wont get a good job and you will be back to square one, pray to meet a nice man to be a husband( not all this born-troway undecided angry. then you can leave the house.

never stop praying and believing GOD for a good job and dont stop loving them.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by mutter(f): 2:04pm On Dec 06, 2011
Concentrate on finishing school and then your National Service will give you a break.
Remember that in Nigeria men seem to prefer marrying girls that are still living at home with their parent.
I know it must be hard at your age but try to endure just some more.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by roughneck: 6:18pm On Dec 14, 2011
U really can't do anything as long as you dont have d means to live on your own. I wanted to leave home so bad buh there was nothing I could do, I tried staying with a friend at a point but d experience was not a good one cos I overstayed my welcome. Your parents house is the only place you cant over stay ur welcome cos its ur home. This is my fifth month of working and I'm making final arrangements to move out before d month runs out, issues like this, Patience is key, pls dont run away frm home cos of sum

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Obelomo: 8:47am On Dec 15, 2011
Well pray hard and finish ur studies kai kai! Although, I don't know de situation in Naija O! Naija young men here like someone who is educated, they do not want liability that much! (These men are not all that themself)!
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Tatian(f): 6:35pm On May 05, 2012
Outstrip: 26 year old only child that is female and Nigerian to boot grin grin grin Finish your studies and get a job far far away somewhere like Alaska where they have to take 7 planes and 2 boats to get to you

Outstrip: 26 year old only child that is female and Nigerian to boot grin grin grin Finish your studies and get a job far far away somewhere like Alaska where they have to take 7 planes and 2 boats to get to you

​L̳̿Ö̤̣̇☺ː̗̀(=)))ː̖́☺Ö̤̣̇L̳̿.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Tatian(f): 6:55pm On May 05, 2012
james1: @tatian.
They want the very best for you but at 26,you are a fully grown woman.
Don't you have a b/f?

Now am 27 still don't have serious relationship . Its not that I don't wanna have undecided
james1: @tatian.
They want the very best for you but at 26,you are a fully grown woman.
Don't you have a b/f?

Now am 27 still don't have serious relationship . Its not that I don't wanna have but just taking my time.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by prince3342(m): 7:11pm On May 05, 2012
@Titan... taking your time at 27... uuhhmmm!!! I wish you all the best ooooo but me as a man I prefer to marry someone that stays with her parents... Thats to say.. from her parents house to my house.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by omosexy1: 11:16pm On May 05, 2012
You have to endure, till you are financially independent.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Saraha1(f): 6:52pm On May 07, 2012
You better valve what u have
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by no1madman(m): 9:55am On May 08, 2012
Cut their tongues with Razor!
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by greall1: 11:48am On May 12, 2012
May close to god & be prayerful because with god all things are possible
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Mustay(m): 10:36am On May 15, 2012
By now, I'd imagine that you'd know how to LIVE WITH THEM. People are different and for the fact that for over 2 decades they've been with you, you ought to be matured enough to handle them by now - their likes and dislikes in summary.

Perhaps you should stop seeing yourself as the 'kid' but a woman. Whilst your parents might have dogmas that you don't share but still try to make peace with them 'cos you know when you 'get your freedom', you'd eventually live by your household rules.

Am emphasizing 'manage' 'cos when you get married too, you'd still face another individual with different '-ishes'. So, stop running away from 'problems' and find solutions or reduce the 'damages'.
Don't forget you'd still need them (i.e your parents) anyway even when you're outta their house.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by EmmaTay(m): 5:00pm On Oct 31, 2012
[size=25pt]you did not write full details and you expect people to advise you. Those who gave you advice...Let me just keep that to myself coz you know what I have in mind.[/size]
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Jennydoris(f): 1:31pm On Jun 26, 2013
u are tired of staying with your mum and u want to pack out from the house.. well thats ur decision and no one else.. but let me ask u.. have u ever thought of how your mum has carried and cared for u from your tender age till dis very stage in your life.. and u are her only child.. u are suppose to keep and be in good terms with her no matter what.. if u leave ur parents house mind u that ur own daughter or son will one day leave u wen u will need him or her most because i believe that whatever that goes around come around... if i wia u i will find out the cause of our misunderstanding and settle with her.. u won't no the value or the worth of ur mum until u loose her or maybe wen u become a mother. den u will no wat it means for the one u carried for nine months to hurt and finally leave u.. no matter what she might have done. a mother is a mother and can't be replaced.. u can replace anything in dis life but definitely not ur parents.. thats y we all have one biological parents.. u better have a rethink.. retrace ur steps now.. its never too late for a change...
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Hassan11: 2:58pm On Jun 26, 2013
2shuz:

hehehehehe!!! im blushing. everybody is failing to address the reason 4 d cat & dog relationship. but wetin i talk na true. I lived wit my parents till I got married. Except if the ppl advising her are not Nigerians or not living in Nigeria. This is small o! Marriage is worse that this o! Ur huz go make u vex finish & u will still service him @ night, lol, as Cja sexy said, u will b longing to see them later in future o! U won't bliv how much I spend wen so as to visit my parents @ least 3x a year as we don't liv in the same state. Kai!!!! Last time I visited I was completely useless, @ d blink of an eye, food is on tthe table, my kids are all clean and playing, clothes washed, kai!!! I was THE QUEEN. See hw me & my sisters compete to visit dem.

nice one! @ poster the problem u have i guess is impatience. Though it is not easy but try to be patient wt them. When u finally live at d right time, they wil double their respect 4u.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Hassan11: 3:00pm On Jun 26, 2013
2shuz:

hehehehehe!!! im blushing. everybody is failing to address the reason 4 d cat & dog relationship. but wetin i talk na true. I lived wit my parents till I got married. Except if the ppl advising her are not Nigerians or not living in Nigeria. This is small o! Marriage is worse that this o! Ur huz go make u vex finish & u will still service him @ night, lol, as Cja sexy said, u will b longing to see them later in future o! U won't bliv how much I spend wen so as to visit my parents @ least 3x a year as we don't liv in the same state. Kai!!!! Last time I visited I was completely useless, @ d blink of an eye, food is on tthe table, my kids are all clean and playing, clothes washed, kai!!! I was THE QUEEN. See hw me & my sisters compete to visit dem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place / Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. / Marriage : Define A Wrong Person?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.