Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. (12393 Views)

Advice On Travelling To Obudu And Calabar / Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: / Query re: endorsement of new ePassport with details of an old expired passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by Princessjo: 3:49pm On Dec 01, 2011
pls my nigerian passport expired april of this year, i didn't think i was gonna need to travel to nigeria, but my mom passed away this november and i need to go for her burial i already bought my ticket, pls i need suggestion on what to do. i applied for renewal of my passport. they have already given me an interview date at atlanta office but the problem is that i was reliably informed that I can't pick up the passport same day, but that the passport will be mailed to me a week later.I can't wait for the passport to be mailed to me, if i do, then i will have to cancel my flight which will cost me a huge chunk of money, and i may not even make it for the burial.

Some one pls advice me on what to do. Can i travel to Nigeria with the expired passport and then renew the passport in Nigeria before returning to USA. Do u think they will let me enter nigeria with an expired passport?
Re: I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by Vicjustice: 8:14pm On Dec 01, 2011
Princessjo:

pls my nigerian passport expired april of this year, i didn't think i was gonna need to travel to nigeria, but my mom passed away this november and i need to go for her burial i already bought my ticket, pls i need suggestion on what to do. i applied for renewal of my passport. they have already given me an interview date at atlanta office but the problem is that i was reliably informed that I can't pick up the passport same day, but that the passport will be mailed to me a week later.I can't wait for the passport to be mailed to me, if i do, then i will have to cancel my flight which will cost me a huge chunk of money, and i may not even make it for the burial.

Some one pls advice me on what to do. Can i travel to Nigeria with the expired passport and then renew the passport in Nigeria before returning to USA. Do u think they will let me enter nigeria with an expired passport?
You definitely would not experience any problem leaving the United States with your expired Nigerian Passport provided you have a valid residence permit.
And, you are not supposed to have any problem entering Nigeria with your expired passport, (no normal country would object to her citizen returning home even without a passport provided the citizenship can be proven), but due to the corrupt and criminal minds of the Nigerian Immigration, you are likely going to have to pay your way into the country, but you should be fine: you passport might even be lucky to avoid being noticed.

1 Like

Re: I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 01, 2011
Re: I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by JeSoul(f): 10:20pm On Dec 01, 2011
Princessjo,

where in the US are you?I found out at the Nigerian embassy in NY few weeks ago by sheer chance about the "Emergency Travel Certificate". Its specifically for people in your situation that have expired passports and can't wait for a new one but need to travel asap. I almost got one if I hadn't gotten my passport on the same day.

I'm going to assume the ATL embassy does this too? At the NY office you don't need an appointment for this. You show up and ask to apply for the certificate. I did have to wait a bit to talk to the 'oga' to approve it. And it seemed like a pretty straightforward deal if I had decided to get it. You'll need:

-Your old passport
-Confirmed flight ticket/information/itinerary
-$50 money order payable to the "Nigerian Consulate"

^I'll check the sheet when I get home to make sure I didn't forget any requirements. My mum was once prevented from flying because her Naija passport had expired (Logan airport in boston) so you may not want to take that chance. Naija may let you in, but no guarantee the US side/airline will let you out. Good luck and my condolences on the passing of your mum. It is well dear.

As a side note, I'm thinking a thread on Nigerian Embassies in the US will be beneficial, I learnt a whole lot of good information in the short time I spent there that would save so many people so much headache.
Re: I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by Princessjo: 5:43am On Dec 02, 2011
pls can u find out more information for me on this, thanks
Re: I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by JeSoul(f): 4:09pm On Dec 02, 2011
^that's all the info I have about the ETC from my last visit there. Unfortunately their phones don't work when you call so its hard to get any information directly from them.
Re: I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by llbhuds: 7:00pm On Dec 02, 2011
JeSoul:

^that's all the info I have about the ETC from my last visit there. Unfortunately their phones don't work when you call so its hard to get any information directly from them.

can you imagine an embassy's telephone number not working
well im not surprised sha
Re: I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by JeSoul(f): 4:21pm On Dec 03, 2011
llbhuds:

can you imagine an embassy's telephone number not working
well im not surprised sha
MY brother na so we see am oh. During a quick Q&A session at the embassy a very angry man brought it up and everyone agreed with fury . . . her reply? Sometimes she herself answers the phone, and some ppl/nigerians calling stress you out with questions asking over and over again  In short they had no good response. Its really unfortunate something as simple and basic as a phone line does not work at the Naija embassy in NY.
Re: I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by knelson(m): 11:20pm On Mar 13, 2012
0. Princessjo:

were you able to get a new passport on time?
Re: I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. by henrychubayo: 2:07pm On Mar 16, 2012
Ok i have some things to say here. The nigerian immigration laws state that on no account should you refuse a nigerian entry even if he had no passport. So i believe that the problem you will have is from u s immigration there in atlanta but if you arrive 9ja, no problems cause you must be admitted.

(1) (Reply)

FRSC Zaria Return N295,000 Recovered From Accident Scene To Victim (pictured) / Which Area In Lagos Is The Best To Reside? / How To Have A Good Night Rest While Travelling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.