Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,521 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? (1293 Views)

£100 To Any Christian Who Can Prove The Hindu God Doesn't Exist / Atheist Give Me Any Evidence That God Doesn't Exist And I Will Prove You Wrong / 10 Reasons Why God Doesn't Exist Today, Tomorrow And 4ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by emofine(f): 10:27am On Dec 03, 2011
I saw this statement on a fellow poster's signature and it made me to pause and think for quite sometime. Perhaps the way I have been evaluting God in a close minded way.

So I contrasted two statements to detect a difference in meaning:-

"God exists"

"God lives"

What do such sentences connote with each term adopted?

How important is it to differentiate between these two terms "exist" and "live". . . what is the difference?
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by gotizsata: 11:34am On Dec 03, 2011
none
God is dead
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by Daiquiri: 11:55am On Dec 03, 2011
emofine:

I saw this statement on a fellow poster's signature and it made me to pause and think for quite sometime.

Perhaps the way I have been evaluting God in a close minded way.

"God exists"

"God lives"

How important is it to differentiate between these two terms "exist" and "live". . . what is the difference?

@emofine

They mean God exists, and not as an imagination or fathom

but that, God is real and animate, as it were

Exist = Real; Live = Animate
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by gotizsata: 12:14pm On Dec 03, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-816831.0.html
God died in the bible, see the post above

plus, God is just an idea in your head, so if you want it to live or exist, it is up to you.
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by Daiquiri: 12:23pm On Dec 03, 2011
gotizsata:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-816831.0.html
God died in the bible, see the post above

plus,  God is just an idea in your head, so if you want it to live or exist, it is up to you.

@emofine

Dont mind the stirrer . . .

Trust you're familiar with the phrase ". . . felt like a part of me died . . ."

Hmm? Kind of, a part of you died, but you didnt die/havent died? That part of you did?
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by gotizsata: 1:48pm On Dec 03, 2011
@Daiquiri
stir or not, god is just you, that's the thing. that's why you are taking it so personally,
when you pray you talk to yourself. so it very satisfying, especially for the highly narcissistic
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by emofine(f): 3:19pm On Dec 03, 2011
@ Daiquiri

They mean God exists, and not as an imagination or fathom

but that, God is real and animate, as it were

Exist = Real; Live = Animate

hmm well I did ponder on that statement for quite a while and weighed each word against the other. I did initially see the difference in the terms and fairly understood what that particular poster was trying to communicate.

I also can accept the definitions you offered for each term and I quite agree. . . "exist" appears rather static to me but "lives" renders the subject being discussed some movement.

However I actually prefer your connotations.
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by Daiquiri: 4:26pm On Dec 03, 2011
emofine:

@ Daiquiri

hmm well I did ponder on that statement for quite a while and weighed each word against the other.

I did initially see the difference in the terms and fairly understood what that particular poster was trying to communicate.

I also can accept the definitions you offered for each term

and I quite agree. . . "exist" appears rather static to me but "lives" renders the subject being discussed some movement.

However I actually prefer your connotations.

@emofine

Not mentioning earlier that lives and what exists may have more than one meaning was deliberate,

an idea could exist and be alive in the mind or thought but not alive on ground, if you know what I mean

The idea when now alive on the ground, doesnt necessarily means it lives or is animate

Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives?

The statement on the fellow poster's signature was a tongue-in-cheek and rhetorical question

asked merely for sport or an effect without expecting a reply

God The chair doesnt exist

- as in, doesnt exist physically or doesnt exist in terms of form or matter,

God it lives? 

- as in, lives in a thought or an imagination and not being actual or real?
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by emofine(f): 7:55pm On Dec 03, 2011
@ Daiquiri

The statement on the fellow poster's signature was a tongue-in-cheek and rhetorical question

The poster never posed the question, it was I.
I just converted the person's statement into a question because it wasn't my declaration and I wanted to hear other people's thought on the matter.
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by Daiquiri: 8:52pm On Dec 03, 2011
emofine:

@ Daiquiri

The poster never posed the question, it was I.

I just converted the person's statement into a question because it wasn't my declaration and I wanted to hear other people's thought on the matter.

@emofine

Cerebral drama?
Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by gotizsata: 9:33am On Dec 04, 2011
I saw this statement on a fellow poster's signature and it made me to pause and think for quite sometime. Perhaps the way I have been evaluating Santa Claus in a close minded way.

"Santa Claus exists"

"Santa Claus lives"

Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by claremont(m): 9:42am On Dec 04, 2011
I saw this statement on a fellow poster's signature and it made me to pause and think for quite sometime. Perhaps the way I have been evaluating Santa Claus in a close minded way.

"Golden Unicorns exists"

"Golden Unicorns lives"

Re: God Doesn't Exist, He Lives? by emofine(f): 10:10am On Dec 04, 2011
Daiquiri:

@emofine

Cerebral drama?

erm no, not exactly. . . not on purpose.

gotizsata:

"Santa Claus exists"

"Santa Claus lives"

Okay that did make me laugh grin

(1) (Reply)

Why Not Let Your God/god Do His Damn Work Himself? / Understanding And Interpreting Dreams. / ANSWER TO Thehomer Question, In What Way Is God Good?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.