Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,413 members, 7,808,470 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Help:Possibility Of Replacing 5s with 4s Toyota Camry 2.2 Engine - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Help:Possibility Of Replacing 5s with 4s Toyota Camry 2.2 Engine (2850 Views)

SOLD! SOLD!! Black 2004 Toyota Camry 2.4L VVT-i In Abuja @ N800K / Tokunbo Toyota Camry 2.4(big Daddy) For N1.4m / The New Honda Atf Dw-1 (p/n 08200-9008) Replacing Honda Atf Z-1 Now Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help:Possibility Of Replacing 5s with 4s Toyota Camry 2.2 Engine by Ladipodeal: 9:53am On Dec 07, 2011
I have a 1998 Toyota Camry and have decided to replace the engine due to smoking problem which persisted despite two attempt to fix it.

My mechanic suggest I replace with a 4S engine (Japanese model) to replace the 5S (America model) due to availability and cheaper price.According to him there is no difference between the two engine aside a weight added to the 5S model.

Will like to know if it possible to replace 5S with the 4S model.
Re: Help:Possibility Of Replacing 5s with 4s Toyota Camry 2.2 Engine by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 07, 2011
^^^ First of all, you need to establish where the smoke is coming from, and what colour it is.

Black smoke - over fuelling. Commonly caused by leaking injectors, dead oxygen sensor, faulty coolant temperature sensor, faulty MAF.
Blue smoke - burning oil. Commonly caused by incorrect grade of oil, worn valve stem seals, worn piston rings, worn cylinder bores, blocked crankcase breather.
Grey smoke (steam) - coolant in combustion chambers. Commonly caused by blown head gasket, cracked cylinder head, cracked cylinder bore.

If the smoke is blue, then it's an internal fault. Valve stem seals are easy and cheap to replace, without changing the engine! A blocked crankcase breather will cause the block to pressurise, and smoke.

Black smoke from over fuelling will not be cured by a new engine, especially if it's not the same as your original. If replacing with a different engine, your old injectors, coolant temperature sensor, oxygen sensors and manifolds will have to be changed over to the replacement engine, as the values will most certainly not match your ECU. So if there's a faulty component (assuming your smoke is black) it'll be transferred over too.

A headgasket check should be carried out. This is done by a compression test, or a coolant sniffer test, to detect the presence of hydrocarbons (exhaust fumes) in the cooling system.

No engine is terminal, unless the crank threw a rod, smashing a hole in the block, the cylinder bores are excessively worn, the block is cracked etc.

Your mechanic really needs to find the source of the smoke, before condemning the engine outright. And if it does need replacing, please replace the engine with the same type. There's nothing wrong with the US-spec block, it's just as reliable as the Japanese version. The American-spec cars still have blocks shipped in from Japan, so I don't understand what your mechanic's on about. The only differences will be the emission control system. The US has stricter laws with regards to emissions, and their engines are likely have better fuel consumption figures.

(1) (Reply)

SElling Toyota Corolla ~DX~ / Very Clean Nigeria Used KIA Sorento 2007 Model @ N1.250m Bought Brand New / Sparkling 2004 Mercedes -benz Clk 430 Amg Convertible..price: N4.5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.