Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,965 members, 7,799,278 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? (2541 Views)

Saraki Buys New N330million Cars / Nigeria Buys Beryl Carbine For Nigerian Army / Nigeria Buys Helicopters From Russia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by skima(m): 2:08pm On Sep 27, 2007
i was in Abuja yesterday, in a bus from lokoja. When i got to abaji, I started seeing this New Armour Tanks, i was wondering what was happening or about to happen. almost ten of these 'giant killing machine' with soldiers. In a broad day light i think this is "undemocratic" enough. Immediately we got to gwagwalada, the villagers started trooping out, they'd thought war was about to start.

As suggested by a colleague in the ride, i think they should have moved this "new babies" at night.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by thirdeye(m): 12:46am On Sep 29, 2007
Don't be afraid, they are bought to chase ladies on trousers . That is there preoccupation for now, they will soon hand them over to policemen in Abuja. Just like it was in Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by babasin(m): 8:34am On Oct 01, 2007
instead of fix roads, reduce poverty, yaradua want to kill more poeople:

the less people, the less problem

grin cheesy grin
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 01, 2007
@babasin
who told you that.
talk facts.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by babasin(m): 4:33pm On Oct 01, 2007
@mdsocks,
who told you that.

last time I checked, amoured-tanks are not used for road construction or for farming!

cool grin

they are simply used to KILL

instead of buying tractors, harvester etc yaradua is buying amoured-tanks. sad.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by texazzpete(m): 11:10am On Oct 02, 2007
1. I'm willing to bet that those were APCs (Armoured Personnel Carriers) and not Tanks as reported by the original poster. sadly, many Nigerians do not kno the difference

2. The original poster should make substantial efforts to improve his english grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by thirdeye(m): 11:42pm On Oct 02, 2007
@texazzpete
We can see you are very sound in English, but the original poster passed a message across, which is more important.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by Jakumo(m): 6:02am On Oct 03, 2007
thirdeye:

Don't be afraid, they are bought to chase ladies on trousers . That is there preoccupation for now, they will soon hand them over to policemen in Abuja. Just like it was in Lagos.

Ha ha yeah, buddy. Those dastardly trouser-wearing women are in deep chit now that our gallant conquering troops have been properly equipped with a mechanised infantry division that will pound the ground and show them conclusively that those trousers will be met with overwhelming force and firepower anywhere they re-surface within Nigerian territory.

If the original poster had looked carefully at that convoy of military hardware, he would have noticed that the lead APC's flag-pole bore a pair of captured trousers fluttering in the wind in place of the regimental flag. That battle-front souvenir clearly indicates that the war on women in Nigeria is slowly being won, and that NO prisoners are being taken.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by denex: 8:31am On Oct 03, 2007
What kind of alarmist talk is this mr poster?

For the proper security and defence in Nigeria today, we need not less than a thousand armoured personnel carriers. Not to start killing citizens but for peace-keeping mostly outside the country.

There's hardly any part of the world where APCs have been used to assault even violent protesters with the intent to kill. They are for the protection of the peace-keeping forces from sticks, stones, molotov cocktails and the likes during civil unrest. In fact to stop any of these vehicles during peaceful protests, all you have to do is lay in front of them and they will not move any further (though in naija, I won't fully subscribe to this because brakes fit no dey work well. Plus, the kain beating wey you go chop that day, e no get part 2).

But in war zones, they are more secure than jeeps and trucks.

The broad daylight parade may have just been a publicity stunt so that people will monger rumours and MEND will hear. In fact, dear poster, I think you're just helping the government do what they aim to achieve.

As per our need for tractors, abeg, make we leave that story. Hundreds of tractors have been bought over the years and they are still looking brand new because nobody uses them due to the fact that most Nigerian farmers have small holdings which would make the employment of a tractor become equivalent to using a sledge hammer to kill a fly. The farmers who have large holdings can afford their own tractors. So please leave agric out of it.

We need more defence equipment. Helicopters, HMMWVs, Radar, Fighter Jets and at least a Submarine. From my estimation, apart from the cost of acquiring a submarine and providing radar coverage, Nigeria needs to spend at least $2 billion for the acquisition of brand new equipment for the army.

If the army is ill-equipped to do its job of defence, it may start thinking of new career moves like taking over the government (though e go hard them this time).
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 03, 2007
babasin:

@mdsocks,
last time I checked, amoured-tanks are not used for road construction or for farming!

cool grin

they are simply used to KILL

instead of buying tractors, harvester etc yaradua is buying amoured-tanks. sad.

and who told you they are armoured tanks for killing!

texazzpete:

1. I'm willing to bet that those were APCs (Armoured Personnel Carriers) and not Tanks as reported by the original poster. sadly, many Nigerians do not kno the difference

2. The original poster should make substantial efforts to improve his english grin

yeah,Banks are buying new APCs for the police force nationwide
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by denex: 9:08am On Oct 03, 2007
Banks are not buying APCs for anybody. Banks are buying better Armoured Bullion Vans as applied for by the police.

No bank in this world will be sold an APC.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 03, 2007
denex:

Banks are not buying APCs for anybody. Banks are buying better Armoured Bullion Vans as applied for by the police.

No bank in this world will be sold an APC.
@denex wink
thanks really the kill english section am frequenting is affecting me really grin grin
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=81618.msg1551929#msg1551929
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by Jakumo(m): 10:35am On Oct 03, 2007
denex:

We need more defence equipment. Helicopters, HMMWVs, Radar, Fighter Jets and at least a Submarine. From my estimation, apart from the cost of acquiring a submarine and providing radar coverage, Nigeria needs to spend at least $2 billion for the acquisition of brand new equipment for the army.

If the army is ill-equipped to do its job of defence, it may start thinking of new career moves like taking over the government (though e go hard them this time). ?

I disagree with your emphasis on Western technology as being requisite for the maintenance of peace in Nigeria. Our precious petroleum dollar would be far better spent spent "Looking Inwards" in search of traditional African stealth technologies that are obtainable from the Juju man's hut as oppposed to from American defence contractors General Dynamics, Hughes Aircraft or Northrop.

American military technology achieved its global benchmark status due to decades of R&grin Research and Development by generations of the best academic and scientific minds that country has to offer. It therefore stands to reason that similarly generous R&grin funding for Juju Warfare Systems research in Nigeria will also produce results that will match and outperform even the most aerobatic UFO to visit planet earth's airspace, talk less of any US front-line military hardware existing today.

Nigerians have long been steeped in rumours of Juju Teleportation Systems in which a "traditionally equipped" person can instantly transport themselves to any point on the planet in a split second and with no ill effects on the traveller. Stories also abound of Juju amulets that render the wearers impervious to direct impacts from all known man-made projectiles, making bullet-proof Kevlar vests and armored vehicles obsolete. In mastering and harnessing the above two technologies alone, Nigeria can move from being an unknown third-world backwater to the exalted status of Conquering Nation over the Known Universe literally overnight.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by texazzpete(m): 11:02am On Oct 03, 2007
thirdeye:

@texazzpete
We can see you are very sound in English, but the original poster passed a message across, which is more important.
So proper English should be sacrificed on the altar of 'passing a message across' abi? I hope when you start going to Job interviews you remain true to your words and start passing the message across in pidgin english grin

@denex
for once we agree on something; Nigeria's millitary needs to upgrade itself to remain relevant. We need hi-tech equipment ASAP, we won't be fighting rag-tag militias in war-torn african countries for ever. But before we start talking about submarines we need to upgrade those glorified gunboats that serve as our 'capital' Naval ships. The NNS Aradu, Nigeria's flagship and largest ship is a mere frigate grin
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by denex: 11:41am On Oct 03, 2007
@texaspete

okay, I was astounded that we were agreeing on that. My own issue is that during the Bakassi matter, the way there European countries were supporting Cameroun, there's something they know that we don't. Besides that even a blind man can tell that all our military infrastructure is in a state of pafuka.

@Jakumo

Gun powder entered Europe from Africa and Asia. They didn't reject it in order to develope their own witchcraft. They accepted it, used it and developed it. So also shall we now accept their own technology and perhaps improve on them in the next couple of decades.

Is it the "babalawo" that "korofo" can arrest with "shakabula" that you are suggesting should protect our troops against depleted uranium and cluster bombs?
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by mrpataki(m): 2:25pm On Oct 03, 2007
denex:

@texaspete

okay, I was astounded that we were agreeing on that. My own issue is that during the Bakassi matter, the way there European countries were supporting Cameroun, there's something they know that we don't. Besides that even a blind man can tell that all our military infrastructure is in a state of pafuka.

@Jakumo

Gun powder entered Europe from Africa and Asia. They didn't reject it in order to develope their own witchcraft. They accepted it, used it and developed it. So also shall we now accept their own technology and perhaps improve on them in the next couple of decades.

Is it the "babalawo" that "korofo" can arrest with "shakabula" that you are suggesting should protect our troops against depleted uranium and cluster bombs? ?

You are a total disgrace to knowledge. It is like two different personalities are using that id to post on this forum. One minute you make sense, next minute you are absolutely senseless with your posts.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by Mariory(m): 2:39pm On Oct 03, 2007
Welcome to the internet. grin
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by mrpataki(m): 2:43pm On Oct 03, 2007
Mariory:

Welcome to the internet. grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

It is crazy most times to read from people without consistencies in their postings. He can be so annoying with his idiotic posts that I begin to realise that calling yourself a Nigerian graduate is a shame most times.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by Iman3(m): 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2007
Our military and the Police are substantially under-equiped.We need more equipment.Not neccesarily high-tech equiment which we can't maintain,but the basics-bullet proof vests,transport vehicles,bullets,helicopters.e.t.c

The country is less safe without a strong security service.

@denex
You see,no be only me dey talk am grin
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by denex: 4:07pm On Oct 03, 2007
@I-man

it has been proven that you use multiple IDs.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by Iman3(m): 4:11pm On Oct 03, 2007
denex:

@I-man
it has been proven that you use multiple IDs.

Are you suggesting that I and Mr Pataki are the same? grin grin grin What a bonehead grin grin
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by denex: 4:21pm On Oct 03, 2007
There's no limit to the mischief you can do.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by endodianuddy: 3:46am On Feb 11, 2011
Money truly does not grow on trees, It's not easy to get the money you need but with help and some loans you'll definitely be on your way of getting more money than you ever imagined.
Re: Nigeria Buys New Armour Tanks? by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:23am On Feb 11, 2011
lol@ Jakumo

(1) (Reply)

Civil Service Reforms: What Happened To The Oronsaye Committee Report? / . / Vote For The Maddest Monikers On Political Section.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.