Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,747 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi (2948 Views)

Sorry, Biafra Died Over 40 Years Ago — Igwe Alex Nwokedi / How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi / In London, Ojukwu Was Lonely, Dumb – Igwe Nwokedi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by 9javoice1(m): 6:09pm On Dec 08, 2011
How fear of Japan diminished Biafra – Nwokedi
Politics    Wednesday, December 7, 2011

By Bashir Adefaka

Justice Paul Nwokedi, pioneer Chairman, National Human RightsCommission (NHRC), former Chief Judge of Anambra State and retired
Judge of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, played a major role in the defunct Republic of Biafra as Administrator, Awka Province. Working
with a protective army rank of lieutenant colonel at that time, he joined late Dim Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu in most of the struggles before
it all ended in 1970.

Justice Nwokedi

advertisement

The retired jurist, who had a stop over in Lagos on his return from a medical break in the United States, spoke to Vanguard. Excerpts:

You were Administrator of Awka Province in Biafra. What is your own
account of that era?

Ojukwu, as against what many say, was a man with kind heart. The CivilWar was just an unfortunate development because nobody liked the war.
But in a situation where the Ibos were being attacked and killed allover Nigeria, in most indescribable manner, you don't expect more or
less than attempt by people to defend themselves and that was what happened.

Ojukwu went into that war to defend himself and liberate the Ibos from the outrageous attacks and killings. That was what happened. The Civil
War fought by the late hero was a fight to defend, he didn't start the war.

What exactly was this issue of one Japan too much for Europe when
talking about Biafra?

I can't remember that much but I can only remember that we were sent on a mission abroad and when we got to Bulgaria or somewhere in
Europe, we had a meeting to solicit support for Biafra. At the meeting they said if they support Biafra, it would mean the emergence of
another Japan and that one Japan was already too much for Europe and so, that they could not afford to support Biafra and that they would
rather support Nigeria.

By that they were equating Biafra to Japan because they already saw the potentials for Biafra to emerge as big as Japan if they succeeded
in seceding out of Nigeria and they said it would be too much for Europe if it happened. That was it.

What was the nature of your relationship with late Odumegwu Ojukwu's Biafran regime and how did you become a lieutenant colonel in the now
defunct republic?

As an administrator, governing Awka Province, I was meant to play an army role and so I was given the protective rank of lieutenant
colonel. It was a political office quite alright but it was also meant to play army role and so they felt the best way to support that office
like others was to give the administrator the protective rank, which I was given.

How did you start out together with Ojukwu?

We all started out in Lagos. Ojukwu attended King's College and I went to St. Gregory's College. We were all friends but he was best of
friend to my brother, the late Igwe Charles Nwokedi and that was the relationship.

How would you describe human rights under Abacha, Obasanjo and now?

I have not participated in national activities for quite sometimes now and so I leave comment on that to those in the system.

As Chairman, National Human Rights Commissioner that you pioneered,you were alleged to have turned your eyes to the other side while the
Head of State, General Sani Abacha was busy abusing the rights of many. What is your take on that?

Do you have one example to show? Just produce one example of one person, whose rights was being abused by the Head of State and I
turned my eyes away from it. Then I will be able to give my comment. As far I am concerned, I am hearing this from you for the first time
and so I am not aware of that during my time.

Just for the record, I happened to be the first chairman to steer the affairs of the National Human Rights Commission under the Abacha
regime. When I was there, a human rights delegation visited me and they told me that I was appointed by Abacha and that their fear was
that I was going to be pro-Abacha.

I then asked them if the Chief Judge of Britain was not appointed by the Prime Minister of the country that did that mean the chief judge
would not support the Prime Minister? They answered no. I said, "Well,I am here for the truth and nothing but the truth and that no matter
who you are, what I would do I must do." And the delegation went back to meet Abacha and told him that he had got the right person to head
the National Human Rights Commission.

On his own side, General Abacha invited me and asked what I needed and I said nothing. Abacha wanted to give me oil well but for what reason
should I sell my conscience for the good of this world which was going to be temporary?

Rejection of oil well offer

I rejected the oil well offer by Abacha. As a matter of fact, I never enriched myself by virtue of the many positions I had served in this
country, not even as Judge of East Central State or Chief Judge of Anambra State or Judge of the Supreme Court. I went in there not a
rich man and I came out of the place exactly the way I was when I went in.

How did you become a Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria?

I had practiced Law for about 17 years or so and I was appointed a Judge of East Central State when they were trying to reorganize
Nigeria. Then when the East Central State was split into Anambra,Enugu, Ebonyi and Imo, I was made Chief Judge of Anambra. According to
them, in Enugu, they had their independence (laughs). It was later I was nominated and accepted as Supreme Court Justice.

You went straight to the Supreme Court, skipping the Court of Appeal?

I didn't have to got to the Court of Appeal because my judgments were thee to bear witness,  Particularly, your records as a Judge were
very important at that time and so, from Chief Judge of Anambra State I became a Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

As a matter of fact, when I was told to go to the Supreme Court, I protested but they said; look, man, we have left you here because
Anambra area was very notorious for justice but now we want to show the world; we have seen the appeals and we have seen the sort of work
you have done and so we are satisfied that you should be there. That was how I went to Supreme Court.

What was your attitude to justice delivery as a judge in your days at
the bench?

It didn't matter to me who you were,. Even whether you were my mother or my father, I would deliver my judgment. Whether you were related to
me or you were a friend or enemy, it didn't mean anything to me. I delivered my judgments, straight and clear.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/dec/7/317.html
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by 9javoice1(m): 6:13pm On Dec 08, 2011
Good to know this and i already book marked it.
i also here a simila thing from my dad but i blv Pa nwokedi males it more understandable since he is there live
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by 9javoice1(m): 6:19pm On Dec 08, 2011
This folks blv that biafra and japan has the same ideology
and ability.
anyway lets wait and see who laughs last
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by Afam4eva(m): 6:23pm On Dec 08, 2011
This Nigeria thingy is just pulling us backwards. let's just go back to regionalism where every region controls everything on their domain from police to oil to coal to cocoa etc. Nigeria is pulling us back with federal character.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by ektbear: 7:36pm On Dec 08, 2011

I can't remember that much but I can only remember that we were sent on a mission abroad and when we got to Bulgaria or somewhere in
Europe, we had a meeting to solicit support for Biafra. At the meeting they said if they support Biafra, it would mean the emergence of
another Japan and that one Japan was already too much for Europe and so, that they could not afford to support Biafra and that they would
rather support Nigeria.

By that they were equating Biafra to Japan because they already saw the potentials for Biafra to emerge as big as Japan if they succeeded
in seceding out of Nigeria and they said it would be too much for Europe if it happened. That was it.
lmao grin grin grin

see delusion

1 Like

Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by sheyguy: 8:35pm On Dec 08, 2011
U will always know when mean pple speak out.
Hw can any sane person compare japan to bia-fa-ra, when bia-fa-rans are known to attach themselves and their produce to china which in my opinion does not compare to japan.
Keep deceiving urselves.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by HighChief4(m): 12:05am On Dec 09, 2011
I also read somewhere in Time magazine where they also claimed that the shortlived Biafra was the best country in Africa. This entity Nigeria is really setting so many things back. Technology wise, I know Biafra would have been the best.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by Rossikk(m): 12:16am On Dec 09, 2011
What a load of bullshiit.

The fools that declared ''Biafra'' with no weapons to fight and no food to feed their people, leading to the death of 2 million + are the real iddiots in all this. New Japan my asssss.

Assholes like Nwokedi and co were all very well fed during the war owing to their 'connections'. The vast majority of Igbos, far from thinking of ''Japan'', were left staring at dry, empty pots, and the hungry, starving eyes of their children.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by ezeagu(m): 12:49am On Dec 09, 2011
Rossikk:

The fools that declared ''Biafra'' with no weapons to fight and no food to feed their people, leading to the death of 2 million + are the real iddiots in all this. New Japan my asssss.

Assholes like Nwokedi and co were all very well fed during the war owing to their 'connections'. The vast majority of Igbos, far from thinking of ''Japan'', were left staring at dry, empty pots, and the hungry, starving eyes of their children.

Googoo, gaga, are you done with vomiting others' ideas?

At the time, though, Biafra still seemed to offer the prospect of a country better run than most others in Africa, and the fears of genocide were certainly well founded.

I knew this quote would come in handy.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by Onlytruth(m): 12:56am On Dec 09, 2011
Rossikk:

Rossikke,

What happened to you my brother? I used to count you as one of the most intelligent posters on this forum.
Please don't take offense, but you sound so banal and pedestrian these days.  shocked shocked

Are you Igbo? If you are, I have some questions to ask you.

How many riots and mass murders had happened in the North before 1966?
How many Easterners were killed in 1966? (mind you there was no war then). Please try guessing.
Do you know how many Eastern army officers that were killed in 1966, and do you believe at all that Ojukwu and others would have been spared in 1966? What was the crimes of Eastern army officers killed in their HUNDREDS?
If they weren't safe, how do you know that YOU would be safe after the Eastern army officers must have been killed?
When was the first and last time anyone led Ndigbo to a war?
Do you know how HARD it must have been for Ndigbo to decide to fight back after Gowon launched his "police action" at Gakem, instead of running away (as you would prefer).  undecided

I once asked you whether you've read any books chronicling the events that led to the war; you never answered me back, yet you continue this your line of blind accusations.  undecided undecided

Let me say this now.

The war WAS INEVITABLE because Ndigbo say that "Osisi nuru na a ga egbu ya wee kwuru ofu ebe" (only a tree stands on the same spot when told in clear terms that it would be cut down).
So, please stop this you blind punches against Ndigbo.
The decision to secede from Nigeria was taken by a MAJORITY of our people.
There is no way you would get a 100% support for such a reaction. Nevertheless, it was a decision taken by a MAJORITY of our people.
Please stop mocking your people (if you are Igbo  undecided)  for things they never caused!  undecided
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by ak47mann(m): 1:00am On Dec 09, 2011
Even babangida call us japan of Africa cool talking about igbos were not prepared b4 they declare BIAFRA is not true, how can you attack a whole tribe that don't want to belong to the union anymore,cos we were getting killed all over Nigeria ojukwu let other groups to go back to their place without holding them as POW.That will tell you that biafran actualization was always a peacefull struggle Nigerians came to our territory and fight us after they acquired ammunition from Britain and Russia and Egypt and still Nigeria soldiers lost 200 000 1st infantry cool
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by Onlytruth(m): 1:05am On Dec 09, 2011
It is very unfortunate that instead of Christian European countries to support Biafra, they were busy fearing a possible "Japan" in Africa.
Japan is about 90% Non-Christian, while Biafra was 90% Christian. So how are they similar?
Whatever happened to Christian brotherhood.  cry cry

1 Like

Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:36am On Dec 09, 2011
Onlytruth:

It is very unfortunate that instead of Christian European countries to support Biafra, they were busy fearing a possible "Japan" in Africa.
Japan is about 90% Non-Christian, while Biafra was 90% Christian. So how are they similar?

^^^On the bolded, if the same situation were to crop up today, i suspect Europe and other western nations (now they've matured a bit) will act much differently and 'pitch their tent' on the side of fairness and justice as against their stand in the 60's which was driven mainly by economic considerations, and a desire to protect their colonial creations to maintain spheres of cultural/political influence.

Don't forget at the time, they saw we Africans as pawns to be used mainly for their amusement and benefit.The fact that the eastern region at the time was under attack must have featured very low on their list of priorities.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by ak47mann(m): 4:02am On Dec 09, 2011
The thing is that if i was in ikemba shoes, i will delayed The Declaration of Independence Tuesday, May 30, 1967 use UN to delay the process by that way i will use my power as eastern region military governor to secretly build up my own military special guards,and invite a hand full of scientist from eastern Europe,then i will secretly build a big ammunition factories in places like agulu,ABA,PH.

This will take me 3months max to build, those foreign scientist will sign an agreement with eastern region that  will always kept secret no matter what, and couple with igbo scientist from USA and Canada will work hand in hand with them the foreigners will secretly send  them back in six months after training our technicians basic things.
A)Is to teach them how to manufacture artillery's that can reach 300miles.
B)they will also learn on how to make our own biiafran guns from machine gun to rifle guns and pistols.
C)And with our own technicians that produce ogbunigbe bombs will work closely with them to get better and efficiency, there by they can produce anti air guns and tanks.
Nigerian soldiers without help from Britain&Russia they are inadequately equip that will not be a big problem for biafrans cool

After that i will announced for secession of biafra from Nigeria,it will be a different war.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by Onlytruth(m): 4:49am On Dec 09, 2011
ak47mann:

[b]The thing is that if i was in ikemba shoes, i will delayed The Declaration of Independence Tuesday, May 30, 1967 use UN to delay the process [/b]by that way i will use my power as eastern region military governor to secretly build up my own military special guards,and invite a hand full of scientist from eastern Europe,then i will secretly build a big ammunition factories in places like agulu,ABA,PH.

This will take me 3months max to build those foreign scientist will sign an agreement with eastern region that  will always kept secret no matter what, and couple with igbo scientist from USA and Canada will work hand in hand with them the foreigners will secretly send  them back in six months after training our technicians basic things.
A)is to teach them how to manufacture artillery's that can reach 300miles.
B)they will also learn on how to make our own biiafran guns from machine gun to rifle guns and pistols.
C)And with our own technicians that produce ogbunigbe bombs will work closely with them to get better and efficiency, there by they can produce anti air guns and tanks.

After that i will announced for secession of biafra from Nigeria,it will be a different war.

My brother, the evolving situation never made room for such delays. You would not understand why Ojukwu declared Biafra until you understand the events of the July 1966 counter coup. To some extent, the civil war was just a continuation of that counter coup. That Gowon did not march on Enugu sooner is part of why I have a lot of respect for Ojukwu despite his flaws. With good hindsight, nothing really stopped Gowon from marching on Enugu, if there was no strong Eastern governor in the person of Ojukwu.

Now, if you say that Ojukwu should have sought and obtained the military alliance or support of a world power before accepting the Eastern agitation for secession, you may have a point, but always remember that Gowon did not march on Enugu because there was Ojukwu who skillfully navigated a period of a peace process -constitutional conference (late 1966) and Aburi (Early 1967).
When you factor in British role, Europe became a no-go area for Biafra, though the French managed to eke out LITTLE support to Biafra in the late stages of the crisis.

I would speculate that Ojukwu did not expect the British to support Nigeria against Biafra.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by 9javoice1(m): 6:25am On Dec 09, 2011
Indeed biafra is something the europeans dont want africa to be.

but i always trust a westerner to tell you his mind openly.

all our southern brothers pls let it not look to you as if igbo's are boosting whenever we talk about the progress of the igbo's
instead see it as a motivational force to you.
again we can never stop any of us talking about their own success. we less espect southerners interupting our success discusions.

if there will be anypple angry of our success its should be hausa/fulani and kanuri,nothing more.
we also will be happy for any progress other nigeria tribesmake exept hausa/fulanis who are enemy of us all.

biafra still lives in us.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by ebere1712: 8:11am On Dec 09, 2011
If Massob by now, have not brought together scientist from igboland to build specialized weapons by now, then I am deeply disappointed in them. Those that think Europe would help them now must be dreaming. Seriously? What has changed? they are even worse now. The war can only be won if we block outside interference. Simply seize all the seaports in and around Biafra and protect it with all your might. There are more than enough igbo sons and daughter around the world that can achieve this tasks.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by asorocker: 9:44am On Dec 09, 2011
[img][/img]
Posted by: ak47mann

Insert Quote

The thing is that if i was in ikemba shoes, i will delayed The Declaration of Independence Tuesday, May 30, 1967 use UN to delay the process by that way i will use my power as eastern region military governor to secretly build up my own military special guards,and invite a hand full of scientist from eastern Europe,then i will secretly build a big ammunition factories in places like agulu,ABA,PH.

This will take me 3months max to build, those foreign scientist will sign an agreement with eastern region that will always kept secret no matter what, and couple with igbo scientist from USA and Canada will work hand in hand with them the foreigners will secretly send them back in six months after training our technicians basic things.
Nigerian soldiers without help from Britain&Russia they are inadequately equip that will not be a big problem for biafrans

After that i will announced for secession of biafra from Nigeria,it will be a different war

The Above postulations are at best very funny, even if you delayed Biafran Declaration by a year and buil the most formidable arsenal and amoury factory in Aba , PH an Awka would you still have been able to withstand the Air superiority of Soviet Union and the Military logistics of Great Britain, infact within a few seconds The soviet built MIGs would have bombed out all the military arsenal buil over the past year and Biafra would be back to square 1 .

Before the Declaration of Biafra , Nzeogwu advised ojukwu not to seccede but to organise a counter coup to the northern coup which would have involved getting the best and formidable shooters in the east planning for a bloody massacre of northen soldiers in Lagos , this would have toppled to apple cart and equalised the equation.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by Onlytruth(m): 10:05am On Dec 09, 2011
asorocker:

The Above postulations are at best very funny, even if you delayed Biafran Declaration by a year and buil the most formidable arsenal and amoury factory in Aba , PH an Awka would you still have been able to withstand the Air superiority of Soviet Union and the Military logistics of Great Britain, infact within a few seconds The soviet built MIGs would have bombed out all the military arsenal buil over the past year and Biafra would be back to square 1 .

Before the Declaration of Biafra , Nzeogwu advised ojukwu not to seccede but to organise a counter coup to the northern coup which would have involved getting the best and formidable shooters in the east planning for a bloody massacre of northen soldiers in Lagos , this would have toppled to apple cart and equalised the equation.

I really believe that was what the Biafran expeditionary force was aiming to achieve when they marched towards Lagos and got as far as Ore before Banjo sold out/developed a cold feet. That expedition was the last attempt to prevent an all out war, unfortunately it failed.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by ezeagu(m): 10:37am On Dec 09, 2011
Onlytruth:

No such thing as Christian brotherhood, just like there's no such thing as English speaking brotherhood.

PROUD-IGBO:

^^^On the bolded, if the same situation were to crop up today, i suspect Europe and other western nations (now they've matured a bit) will act much differently and 'pitch their tent' on the side of fairness and justice as against their stand in the 60's which was driven mainly by economic considerations, and a desire to protect their colonial creations to maintain spheres of cultural/political influence.

Don't forget at the time, they saw we Africans as pawns to be used mainly for their amusement and benefit.The fact that the eastern region at the time was under attack must have featured very low on their list of priorities.

I think they'll go with whichever side best suits their interest, like always. Africans are still pawns.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by pazienza(m): 10:57am On Dec 09, 2011
ak47mann:

This will take me 3months max to build, those foreign scientist will sign an agreement with eastern region that  will always kept secret no matter what, and couple with igbo scientist from USA and Canada will work hand in hand with them the foreigners will secretly send  them back in six months after training our technicians basic things.
Nigerian soldiers without help from Britain&Russia they are inadequately equip that will not be a big problem for biafrans cool

I think the war was inevitable,Ojukwu tried to prolong it,but i think Gowon saw through it,his division of the east into rivers,cross river and east central,without making Ojukwu the administrator of any of these states left Ojukwu with only one option.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by pazienza(m): 11:04am On Dec 09, 2011
Onlytruth:

I really believe that was what the Biafran expeditionary force was aiming to achieve when they marched towards Lagos and got as far as Ore before Banjo sold out/developed a cold feet. That expedition was the last attempt to prevent an all out war, unfortunately it failed.

Yeah,i think the war was lost when he trusted that lagos mission to banjo. Ojukwu trusted the yoruba a lot,from aluko to awo and banjo.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by pazienza(m): 11:09am On Dec 09, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

I don't think so,in 1966,they were not as broke as they are now,yet they backed Nigeria,i don't see them not doing worst now.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by jason123: 11:11am On Dec 09, 2011
pazienza:

I think the war was inevitable,Ojukwu tried to prolong it,but i think Gowon saw through it,his division of the east into rivers,cross river and east central,without making Ojukwu the administrator of any of these states left Ojukwu with only one option.

But the West was divided into West and MW yet there was no war.

pazienza:

Yeah,i think the war was lost when he trusted that lagos mission to banjo. Ojukwu trusted the yoruba a lot,from aluko to awo and banjo.
Banjo was a basta.rd for attaking the MW. You do not attack your ancestors.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by asorocker: 11:39am On Dec 09, 2011
[sup][/sup]

Victor Banjo Liberated the MW and did not attack it ,we are supposed to know the difference between attack, invade and liberate , but unfortunately the same MW chose to remain in the bondage called Nigeria , i am yet to get Ejoor view on this .

There were 3 main reasons why Biafra lost .
1. The decision of Biafra to seccede against doing a counter coup
2. The delay of Victor Banjo in proceeding to Lagos to liberate the SW
3.The Inaction of Biafra to protect the coast

Of these 3 reasons British military/intelligence pundits have it that But for Victor Banjo's delay the war would have be concluded swiftly .
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by jason123: 11:48am On Dec 09, 2011
asorocker:

[sup][/sup]

Victor Banjo Liberated the MW and did not attack it ,we are supposed to know the difference between attack, invade and liberate , but unfortunately the same MW chose to remain in the bondage called Nigeria , i am yet to get Ejoor view on this .

There were 3 main reasons why Biafra lost .
1. The decision of Biafra to seccede against doing a counter coup
2. The delay of Victor Banjo in proceeding to Lagos to liberate the SW
3.The Inaction of Biafra to protect the coast

Of these 3 reasons British military/intelligence pundits have it that But for Victor Banjo's delay the war would have be concluded swiftly .

Liberation from what or who?? The MW were neutrals. He came in WITHOUT OUR consent so he (Banjo along with his troops) invaded.
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by asorocker: 1:25pm On Dec 09, 2011
If Really the MW was neutral how come the Chief Coupist Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu was from the MW
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by isalegan2: 3:20pm On Dec 09, 2011
What a terribly disingenuous and duplicitous individual this Nwokedi is!

I read the article with an open mind, interested only in what the title promised, a comparison between Japan and Biafra.  But, instead came away with firm and conclusive evidence about the negative character of the subject, former Justice Nwokedi.

The interviewer did a superior job of drawing him out so he could convict himself with his own words.  Of course, he was very careful, being a lawyer and a accomplished jurist.  But, for those who pay attention and read his words carefully, it is right there to see.  A thoroughly unscrupulous individual.

INTERVIEWER asks, "How would you describe human rights under Abacha, Obasanjo and now?"

NWOKEDI plays coy, "I have not participated in national activities for quite sometimes now and so I leave comment on that to those in the system."

Was that the question?  Is it only people who were in government or participating in politics who knew how repressive and violative Abacha's regime was?  Was he in a coma at the time?  Very dishonest and slick guy.

INTERVIEWER persists, "As Chairman, National Human Rights Commissioner that you pioneered,you were alleged to have turned your eyes to the other side while the Head of State, General Sani Abacha was busy abusing the rights of many. What is your take on that?"

A big justice like Nwokedi probably never expected a mere reporter would have the balls to call him a corrupt soulless bastard to his face?  What kind of a "Human Rights Pioneer" would turn his eyes to the abuse of the populace?  Exactly!

The slick lawyer demurs, utilizing the easiest delaying tactic (while he thinks up a suitable LIE, oops, I mean, lawyerly response: "Do you have one example to show? Just produce one example of one person, whose rights was being abused by the Head of State and I turned my eyes away from it. Then I will be able to give my comment. As far I am concerned, I am hearing this from you for the first time and so I am not aware of that during my time."

Does anyone really believe he just heard that for the first time?  Maybe no one had the nerve to confront him while he was serving Abacha ("during my time"wink, but he would have been confronted, heard and read about it numerous times since then.  I can just imagine the interviewer struggling to hide the contempt from registering on his face.  What a shameless Supreme Court "Justice."

Lawyers are very good at parsing, playing word games.  So, "On his own side, General Abacha invited me and asked what I needed and I said nothing. Abacha wanted to give me oil well but for what reason should I sell my conscience for the good of this world which was going to be temporary?"

Shouldn't the fact that a "Head of State" is ready to gift you oil wells and probably more tell you this is not someone with whom you should work?  He refused oil wells, huh?  What did he settle for?  This man stinks to high heaven.  People can make charges against you, but it is your own words that will convict you.  The man is dirty.

More eye-opening remarks:

INTERVIEWER: "You went straight to the Supreme Court, skipping the Court of Appeal?

NWOKEDI: "As a matter of fact, when I was told to go to the Supreme Court,[b] I protested but they said; 'look, man, we have left you here because Anambra area was very notorious for justice but now we want to show the world; we have seen the appeals and we have seen the sort of work you have done and so we are satisfied that you should be there.' That was how I went to Supreme Court."

"It didn't matter to me who you were,. Even whether you were my mother or my father, I would deliver my judgment. Whether you were related to me or you were a friend or enemy, it didn't mean anything to me. I delivered my judgments, straight and clear."

Another incredible statement.  Even the most honest and most conscientious jurists know you cannot be impartial when your family or friends are in trouble.  That is why you are obliged to RECUSE yourself from the case!

The man protests too much, with smoke coming out of his ears.  And where there is smoke there is fire. 

Onlytruth link=topic=820885.msg9725820#msg9725820 date=1323389140:

Whatever happened to Christian brotherhood. 
cry cry

I quite like your passion and convictions, whether or not we share viewpoints.

But, the above tearful comment is shockingly naive on your part.

Your Christian beliefs don't make you or anyone else any different from any other "NIGGER" in the eyes of "Europeans."  You can be more catholic than the pope, more pious than Paul, you are still a "nigger" trying to kill another worthless "nigger" in oyinbo man's eyes.  The only deciding factor to them on whom to support when you all start killing and maiming each other is which one of those ignorant coons can we control better?  which ones have the oil, the gold, the diamond, the slaves.  After 200 years of enslavement of African in America, who also had converted to their oppressors' religious beliefs, did that earn them their freedom?  From generation to generation they were human chattel.  Or did you think you being a Christian and accepting the "Europeans" beliefs automatically earns you compassion and mercy?  Do you know that the Portuguese slavers "baptised" kidnapped Africans before they put them on slave ships and subjected them to the trauma of the middle passage? 

This is not an attack against your dream to see the day when Biafra can be actualised.   As for me, I'd prefer it if all Africans think continentally and not regionally, but that is your prerogative.   I have nothing against your goals, just study history well and plan accordingly.

This is a very good video I pulled from GenBuhari's thread, https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.0.html.  I think it is appropo.  It is in many parts, but I have watched only this so far.  Everyone - Nigerians, Biafrans and all the other battle-ready Africans - should watch and learn.

[flash=480,320]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZTpuVlKJ_Q[/flash]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rZTpuVlKJ_Q
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 09, 2011
isale_gan2:

What a terribly disingenuous and duplicitous individual this Nwokedi is!

I read the article with an open mind, interested only in what the title promised, a comparison between Japan and Biafra.  But, instead came away with firm and conclusive evidence about the negative character of the subject, former Justice Nwokedi.

The interviewer did a superior job of drawing him out so he could convict himself with his own words.  Of course, he was very careful, being a lawyer and a accomplished jurist.  But, for those who pay attention and read his words carefully, it is right there to see.  A thoroughly unscrupulous individual.

INTERVIEWER asks, "How would you describe human rights under Abacha, Obasanjo and now?"

NWOKEDI plays coy, "I have not participated in national activities for quite sometimes now and so I leave comment on that to those in the system."

Was that the question?  Is it only people who were in government or participating in politics who knew how repressive and violative Abacha's regime was?  Was he in a coma at the time?  Very dishonest and slick guy.

INTERVIEWER persists, "As Chairman, National Human Rights Commissioner that you pioneered,you were alleged to have turned your eyes to the other side while the Head of State, General Sani Abacha was busy abusing the rights of many. What is your take on that?"

A big justice like Nwokedi probably never expected a mere reporter would have the balls to call him a corrupt soulless bastard to his face?  What kind of a "Human Rights Pioneer" would turn his eyes to the abuse of the populace?  Exactly!

The slick lawyer demurs, utilizing the easiest delaying tactic (while he thinks up a suitable LIE, oops, I mean, lawyerly response: "Do you have one example to show? Just produce one example of one person, whose rights was being abused by the Head of State and I turned my eyes away from it. Then I will be able to give my comment. As far I am concerned, I am hearing this from you for the first time and so I am not aware of that during my time."

Does anyone really believe he just heard that for the first time?  Maybe no one had the nerve to confront him while he was serving Abacha ("during my time"wink, but he would have been confronted, heard and read about it numerous times since then.  I can just imagine the interviewer struggling to hide the contempt from registering on his face.  What a shameless Supreme Court "Justice."

Lawyers are very good at parsing, playing word games.  So, "On his own side, General Abacha invited me and asked what I needed and I said nothing. Abacha wanted to give me oil well but for what reason should I sell my conscience for the good of this world which was going to be temporary?"

Shouldn't the fact that a "Head of State" is ready to gift you oil wells and probably more tell you this is not someone with whom you should work?  He refused oil wells, huh?  What did he settle for?  This man stinks to high heaven.  People can make charges against you, but it is your own words that will convict you.  The man is dirty.

More eye-opening remarks:

INTERVIEWER: "You went straight to the Supreme Court, skipping the Court of Appeal?

NWOKEDI: "As a matter of fact, when I was told to go to the Supreme Court,[b] I protested but they said; 'look, man, we have left you here because Anambra area was very notorious for justice but now we want to show the world; we have seen the appeals and we have seen the sort of work you have done and so we are satisfied that you should be there.' That was how I went to Supreme Court."

"It didn't matter to me who you were,. Even whether you were my mother or my father, I would deliver my judgment. Whether you were related to me or you were a friend or enemy, it didn't mean anything to me. I delivered my judgments, straight and clear."

Another incredible statement.  Even the most honest and most conscientious jurists know you cannot be impartial when your family or friends are in trouble.  That is why you are obliged to RECUSE yourself from the case!

The man protests too much, with smoke coming out of his ears.  And where there is smoke there is fire. 

I quite like your passion and convictions, whether or not we share viewpoints.

But, the above tearful comment is shockingly naive on your part.

Your Christian beliefs don't make you or anyone else any different from any other "NIGGER" in the eyes of "Europeans."  You can be more catholic than the pope, more pious than Paul, you are still a "nigger" trying to kill another worthless "nigger" in oyinbo man's eyes.  The only deciding factor to them on whom to support when you all start killing and maiming each other is which one of those ignorant coons can we control better?  which ones have the oil, the gold, the diamond, the slaves.  After 200 years of enslavement of African in America, who also had converted to their oppressors' religious beliefs, did that earn them their freedom?  From generation to generation they were human chattel.  Or did you think you being a Christian and accepting the "Europeans" beliefs automatically earns you compassion and mercy?  Do you know that the Portuguese slavers "baptised" kidnapped Africans before they put them on slave ships and subjected them to the trauma of the middle passage? 

This is not an attack against your dream to see the day when Biafra can be actualised.   As for me, I'd prefer it if all Africans think continentally and not regionally, but that is your prerogative.   I have nothing against your goals, just study history well and plan accordingly.

This is a very good video I pulled from GenBuhari's thread, https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.0.html.  I think it is appropo.  It is in many parts, but I have watched only this so far.  Everyone - Nigerians, Biafrans and all the other battle-ready Africans - should watch and learn.

[flash=480,320]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZTpuVlKJ_Q[/flash]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rZTpuVlKJ_Q

I thought I was the only one that deciphered that this individual was one whose words cannot be trusted from the same, exact, points you've given us. I read it, and read the praises people were giving to this obvious charlatan and all I could do was shake my head. Imagine defending Abacha?! Lmao

Anyway, thank God there are still Nigerians that can see "fake" from a thousand miles away
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 09, 2011
Made in Baifra:

I have a dream that one day, that I will lift a good shoe stamped "Made In Biafra"
Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by Uchek(m): 9:56am On Nov 20, 2022
Why do you call it load of sheet?

Rossikk:

Re: How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi by kettykin: 10:34am On Nov 20, 2022
If an unprepared Bịafra caused this level of irreparable damage to Nigeria military backed by Soviet union, Britain, Egyptian military, Chad, Niger, Cameroon etc what would a prepared Biafra do?

The Europeans were afraid of the emergence of another Japan in Africa, thereby suppressing Biafra and allowing the emergence of the biggest shit hole in the world that is spiralling out of control and out of reality

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nigerian Politician's Son Sitting On 1 Million Naira / Us Govt Speaks On Al-qa’ida’s In Nigeria:‘boko Haram,ansaru 're Terrorists' / Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.