Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,697 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 (980177 Views)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 3 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (426) (Go Down)

Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Piyke: 12:09am On Dec 30, 2011
@Justwise,

need ur opinion, I'm a british citizen based in naija but actually but in UK currently for my masters after which i'll definitely return to naija (its a years programme). My Dad has been based in UK for long and i intend him to be my sponsor to invite my wife for a holiday (3weeks). Now people are telling me that the embassy wont honour a visiting visa application for my wife because i'm a citizen that i should go for a spousal visa. Is this true? Secondly if true, how do i go about that knowing that i dont want to stay in the uk beyond october when my masters ends, i therefor see no need of applying for a settlement visa for now.

what kind of visa application do u advice we go for? Many thanks in advance
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 12:43am On Dec 30, 2011
Piyke:

@Justwise,

need your opinion, I'm a british citizen based in naija but actually but in UK currently for my masters after which i'll definitely return to naija (its a years programme). My Dad has been based in UK for long and i intend him to be my sponsor to invite my wife for a holiday (3weeks). Now people are telling me that the embassy wont honour a visiting visa application for my wife because i'm a citizen that i should go for a spousal visa. Is this true? Secondly if true, how do i go about that knowing that i dont want to stay in the uk beyond october when my masters ends, i therefor see no need of applying for a settlement visa for now.

what kind of visa application do u advice we go for? Many thanks in advance

There is nothing wrong with applying for visiting visa, go for it if you want.

1 Like

Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Piyke: 12:51am On Dec 30, 2011
justwise:

There is nothing wrong with applying for visiting visa, go for it if you want.

Thanks very much mate. you rock!!!
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 12:59am On Dec 30, 2011
Piyke:

Thanks very much mate. you rock!!!

No worries, just get all the materials needed and apply especially accommodation and the cost of her visit.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Bwoodlt: 12:05pm On Dec 30, 2011
@Justwise

Please kindly offer an opinion regarding what I posted few days ago.

Thanks for your help.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 12:18pm On Dec 30, 2011
Bwoodlt:

My brother stayed 3 months when he came visiting, even though he stated 3 weeks when he made his application,  My question is,

1) Is this a factor that could hinder his visa extension/renewal? His visa expires early January and he's looking at applying for a renewal/extension first week in February?

2) He's still a student, hope it wouldnt matter getting another letter from his Uni to support his application,  I'm thinking the ECO officer might be abit skeptical about it,  Just my thought

Please people in the house, kindly advise.

Thanks

Staying 3months instead of stated 2wks shouldn't necessarily be a problem as long as he did not over-stayed his visa and wasn't questioned when leaving the UK but he should be ready to explain to immigration why he stayed that long IF asked at POE.

As a student he needs a letter from his school and progress report as well
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Bwoodlt: 1:29pm On Dec 30, 2011
Thanks Justwise. Will let him know. I believe he can use the same letter he got from his school when he made his initial application? Please correct me if I'm wrong or will you recommend he gets a new letter for the extension/renewal?

Much appreciated
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Piyke: 1:32pm On Dec 30, 2011
This site is a treasure chest of info and people like justwise are a blessing!

2 Likes

Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2011
Bwoodlt:

Thanks Justwise. Will let him know. I believe he can use the same letter he got from his school when he made his initial application? Please correct me if I'm wrong or will you recommend he gets a new letter for the extension/renewal?

Much appreciated

He needs to get another letter, with current date, reflecting his current situation, signed and stamped by his head of depart or course tutor.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 1:51pm On Dec 30, 2011
Piyke:

This site is a treasure chest of info and people like justwise are a blessing!

Its all good, we are all trying to help as much as we can.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Bwoodlt: 1:55pm On Dec 30, 2011
^^

God Bless! Happy New Year in advance  smiley
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 2:05pm On Dec 30, 2011
Bwoodlt:

^^

God Bless! Happy New Year in advance  smiley

The same from me here, wishing you the very best.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by 2unde4sure: 8:56pm On Dec 31, 2011
Pls house, what are the sponsorship requirements for student visa to UK.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 9:19pm On Dec 31, 2011
2unde4sure:

Pls house, what are the sponsorship requirements for student visa to UK.

Only your father , mother or legal guidance can sponsor you.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by AOAC: 12:33pm On Jan 02, 2012
/
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Vicjustice: 1:35pm On Jan 02, 2012
AOAC:

I'm 22 years old, currently in the UK, i have a very complicated immigration situation and some genuine advice from you guys would be much appreciated. i dont know where to start this, but any questions please feel free to ask.

I came to the UK when i was 16 on a 2-year tourist visa which expired during the process of an Indefinite Leave to Remain (IDR) application. Some of my direct family members like my dad, step-mum, sisters and brother live here permanently as british citizens by birth, by Naturalisation, or have IDRs. They all got this when they were young through my dad while he was working here. But my mum and my other siblings live in Nigeria. My dad has now retired and he's on pensions and benefits from the government. I couldn't apply for IDR through him because we read in the UK border force website that he has to prove that he can sponsor me without recourse to public funds. So we decided to do it through one of my older sisters that works (which all do), when i turned 17. The application was refused on the grounds that my sister cannot take the sole responsibility for my upbringing if my parents were still alive. And they suggested i returned back to Nigeria to live with my mother instead since it was her i just departed from. As at the waiting period of my application, i started on my A-levels and before i completed them, i got the refusal letter.

So instead of dropping out of school, i completed my A-levels and got admission into university as a home-fee paying student. I took the offer, and 3 years later i graduated. I got a part-fee scholarship to do my masters of which i'm now undertaking, but i'm so scared of what to do next. My family have been very supportive including my step-mum and they really contribute a lot (both financially and affectionately) to my upbringing. They also do not want me to go back because they really like having me around. I also have a girlfriend who is british and she too doesn't want me to leave. I also hear i could get a 10-year ban if go back. I complete my masters degree later this year and i don't know what to do after. I hear routes of this EEA family thing or by marriage, but i don't know what to do. I've been here 6 years now also.  undecided

Indeed, your situation is a little bit critical, and giving you a straight advice would be complicated as well, so, in order to have a head way in this, let's start by discoursing the whole thing.
   I understand that your family, friends and other loved ones "want you to stay around them", but then, their desires can not affect the laws of the land. And like you rightly pointed out, you've already violated the Immigration rules by overstaying your visa, and that offence attracts the 10 years ban, so, going to Nigeria might spell the end of your UK dream; you might never been allowed to return to the country.
   These few things said, i'd like to suggest that you first of all contact a solicitor and see if there is any legal way out, and if there is none, then come back, some people may be willing to suggest some desperate measures
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by AOAC: 3:00pm On Jan 02, 2012
Vicjustice:

Indeed, your situation is a little bit critical, and giving you a straight advice would be complicated as well, so, in order to have a head way in this, let's start by discoursing the whole thing.
   I understand that your family, friends and other loved ones "want you to stay around them", but then, their desires can not affect the laws of the land. And like you rightly pointed out, you've already violated the Immigration rules by overstaying your visa, and that offence attracts the 10 years ban, so, going to Nigeria might spell the end of your UK dream; you might never been allowed to return to the country.
   These few things said, i'd like to suggest that you first of all contact a solicitor and see if there is any legal way out, and if there is none, then come back, some people may be willing to suggest some desperate measures

Thats why i'm mega-confused. Also, when i first applied for the ILR (not IDR as previously written), i wasn't given a right to appeal. I don't know if that was even legally possible for the home office to do. They quoted some law explaning that i have no appeal because my visa was still valid upon the date of them responding to my application. But i recieved my documents back only about a week before it was to expire.

I also hear that if i return voluntarily, i could face one year ban instead of 10. But i don't know how true this is.

Apart from Vicjustice, can any other person help please?

1 Like

Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Vicjustice: 5:25pm On Jan 02, 2012
AOAC:

Thats why i'm mega-confused. Also, when i first applied for the ILR (not IDR as previously written), i wasn't given a right to appeal. I don't know if that was even legally possible for the home office to do. They quoted some law explaning that i have no appeal because my visa was still valid upon the date of them responding to my application. But i recieved my documents back only about a week before it was to expire.

I also hear that if i return voluntarily, i could face one year ban instead of 10. But i don't know how true this is.

Apart from Vicjustice, can any other person help please?
Oh yes, i remember there was this talk on mercy to those who returned home voluntarily, but i can't confirm that now. But where are those UK based guys, una still dey crunch the Newyear chicken bones? Ha, your brother is here needing your support, help.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 10:21am On Jan 03, 2012
AOAC:

I'm 22 years old, currently in the UK, i have a very complicated immigration situation and some genuine advice from you guys would be much appreciated. i dont know where to start this, but any questions please feel free to ask.

I came to the UK when i was 16 on a 2-year tourist visa which expired during the process of an Indefinite Leave to Remain (IDR) application. Some of my direct family members like my dad, step-mum, sisters and brother live here permanently as british citizens by birth, by Naturalisation, or have IDRs. They all got this when they were young through my dad while he was working here. But my mum and my other siblings live in Nigeria. My dad has now retired and he's on pensions and benefits from the government. I couldn't apply for IDR through him because we read in the UK border force website that he has to prove that he can sponsor me without recourse to public funds. So we decided to do it through one of my older sisters that works (which all do), when i turned 17. The application was refused on the grounds that my sister cannot take the sole responsibility for my upbringing if my parents were still alive. And they suggested i returned back to Nigeria to live with my mother instead since it was her i just departed from. As at the waiting period of my application, i started on my A-levels and before i completed them, i got the refusal letter.

So instead of dropping out of school, i completed my A-levels and got admission into university as a home-fee paying student. I took the offer, and 3 years later i graduated. I got a part-fee scholarship to do my masters of which i'm now undertaking, but i'm so scared of what to do next. My family have been very supportive including my step-mum and they really contribute a lot (both financially and affectionately) to my upbringing. They also do not want me to go back because they really like having me around. I also have a girlfriend who is british and she too doesn't want me to leave. I also hear i could get a 10-year ban if go back. I complete my masters degree later this year and i don't know what to do after. I hear routes of this EEA family thing or by marriage, but i don't know what to do. I've been here 6 years now also.  undecided

Boy!! you really dig deep into the system and come out with some really complicated issues for yourself.

How did you convince them that you qualified to study as home student? What document did you present to the university?

There could be a way out but its not going to be an easy one.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by AOAC: 1:11pm On Jan 03, 2012
justwise:

Boy!! you really dig deep into the system and come out with some really complicated issues for yourself.

How did you convince them that you qualified to study as home student? What document did you present to the university?

There could be a way out but its not going to be an easy one.

well, i dont wanna share that information up here because it might encourage others to use that same route and end of in a situation like mine. However, i can tell you that i didnt use any fake documents and i used my real name to study. infact, ive never used any fake documents or fake names before.

All i just wanna know if theres any immigration law that can aide my situation. i've read through a lot of immigration laws, but sometimes you gotta seek knowledge outside the box to gain a broader and more practical perspective.

i wanna return home now because i dont want my skills to go wasted here. Also, i wanna be sure i can get only a year ban for returning voluntarily. how true is this? has anyone here overstayed before and got only a year's ban for returning @ their own expense?
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 1:35pm On Jan 03, 2012
AOAC:

well, i dont wanna share that information up here because it might encourage others to use that same route and end of in a situation like mine. However, i can tell you that i didnt use any fake documents and i used my real name to study. infact, ive never used any fake documents or fake names before.

All i just wanna know if theres any immigration law that can aide my situation. i've read through a lot of immigration laws, but sometimes you gotta seek knowledge outside the box to gain a broader and more practical perspective.

i wanna return home now because i dont want my skills to go wasted here. Also, i wanna be sure i can get only a year ban for returning voluntarily. how true is this? has anyone here overstayed before and got only a year's ban for returning @ their own expense?

I know where you are coming from and i wouldn't encourage you to go into any detail here.

As per for the ban for over staying and going home voluntarily . . that will depend on how long you over stayed, it ranges from a year to about 5yrs or 10yrs i think. . . need to check that out.

You would have been in a better position to win the appeal case if you are married with kids because in that case you have a right to family life.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Piyke: 9:01pm On Jan 03, 2012
just a quick question. is it true they don't grant obviously pregnant women visiting visa? I'm british n in the UK for studies but based mainly in naija, My parents have a house here 2. I wanted my wife to come briefly before she resumes work, but dont want to put her through the whole process of visa application if she would be denied b/c shes pregnant. Is this true?
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by blank(f): 2:31pm On Jan 05, 2012
Thanks.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 3:42pm On Jan 05, 2012
blank:

Hi, Please can someone help me with mu query?

I want to apply for a general visitors visa with my son. I have my sister and my brother living in Uk and they have sent me invitation letters. Don't know if i should apply for tourist visa or family vist visa. Would actually prefer to apply for tousrist visa as i do not want to go through the pains of proving that we are related. Will it disqualify me from the tourist category?

Applying for family visit visa would have been ok but since you don't want to get into the trouble of proving the rela/ship then go for tourist visa without their invitation letter.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 3:45pm On Jan 05, 2012
Piyke:

just a quick question. is it true they don't grant obviously pregnant women visiting visa? I'm british n in the UK for studies but based mainly in naija, My parents have a house here 2. I wanted my wife to come briefly before she resumes work, but dont want to put her through the whole process of visa application if she would be denied b/c shes pregnant. Is this true?

The airline will not allow your wife to board if her pregnancy is visible, if she managed to board she will have problems with immigration at the POE.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by rabbits207: 2:21am On Jan 07, 2012
@ justwise

Please inbox me your number, i need to talk to you about something important, nola11450@gmail.com
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 07, 2012
Please how would you know if you were granted a uk tier 4 visa or denied before collecting your passport.
Please any ideas ?
Assist a brother.

1 Like

Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 10:23am On Jan 07, 2012
wizzywaz:

Please how would you know if you were granted a uk tier 4 visa or denied before collecting your passport.
Please any ideas ?
Assist a brother.

You can't, you have to collect your passport to find out.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 07, 2012
Thank You Justwise, God Bless You. Been Denied An american Study Visa Twice, does that diminishes your chances of getting a uk tier 4 visa ??
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 11:09am On Jan 07, 2012
wizzywaz:

Thank You Justwise, God Bless You. Been Denied An american Study Visa Twice, does that diminishes your chances of getting a uk tier 4 visa ??

No it doesn't as long as you met the requirements.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 07, 2012
Thank you Justwise, You the Best. Thanks A lot, God Bless You SIR.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (426)

General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 8 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.