Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,850 members, 7,806,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG (12294 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Prestigious Alumni / 7 Nigerian Universities With The Strongest Alumni Bodies / Please,is Change Of Course Form Free Or D Normal 2500naira.cos I Want To Change To Unn After Having (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Babasessy(m): 10:34am On Dec 14, 2011
Don’t name UNN after Ojukwu, alumni warn FG

The University of Nigeria Alumni Association (UNAA) has warned the Federal Government over its plan to rename their alma mater after the late Biafran warlord, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegu Ojukwu. The association rather prefers the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) to be named after the late Ikemba.

Rising from its 21st Biennial Convention and 78th NEC meeting, the association called on the Federal Government to shelve the plan, saying government should name Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) after him since the late Ojukwu was one of the first students of the institution. According to UNAA, it subscribes to the idea of immortalising the late patriot, but government should rather rename the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) after Ojukwu. In a communiqué issued at the end of its meeting held in Kaduna during the weekend, it stated: “We mourn with heavy heart the demise of the first university graduate of the Nigerian army, elder statesman and patriot, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu and call for immortalisation of his name by naming the Nigerian Defence Academy, among others after him”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/26853.html
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Afam4eva(m): 10:50am On Dec 14, 2011
Federal government that rejected a state burial for him now want change UNN to Ojukwu Univeristy. This i don't support. They should name some other school, maybe ESUT, ABSU, IMSU or EBSU not UNN.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by houvest: 11:01am On Dec 14, 2011
What really is the problem the powers that be have with the name University of Nigeria? They tried changing it to Ziks name while he was still alive but the late sage said no . At every little oportunity they are desperate to change it. Why? If the University of Nigeria must be in Abuja, then rename UNN University of Biafra - Its wartime name.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Afam4eva(m): 11:04am On Dec 14, 2011
houvest:

What really is the problem the powers that be have with the name University of Nigeria? They tried changing it to Ziks name while he was still alive but the late sage said no . At every little oportunity they are desperate to change it. Why? If the University of Nigeria must be in Abuja, then rename UNN University of Biafra - Its wartime name.

That has been their plan for a long time. They just thing UNN wields a kind of respect because of it's name. There's only one University of Nigeria and it's in Nsukka.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by nanidee(f): 11:10am On Dec 14, 2011
Obviously, a lot of people are pained that an institution - 'university of Nigeria', happens to be in Nsukka. That exactly is the problem. TĦey would prefer that a University of Nigeria should not be in Nsukka, thats why tĦere's been a desperate need for the name change. Nothing like immortalizing Ojukwu here.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Afam4eva(m): 11:12am On Dec 14, 2011
nanidee:

Obviously, a lot of people are pained that an institution - 'university of Nigeria', happens to be in Nsukka. That exactly is the problem. TĦey would prefer that a University of Nigeria should not be in Nsukka, thats why tĦere's been a desperate need for the name change. Nothing like immortalizing Ojukwu here.

I thought they said Ojukwu is not a Nigerian hero. Why are they now trying to name anything after him. They should leave that to the eastern government.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by nanidee(f): 11:25am On Dec 14, 2011
Are u minding those jokers?

TĦey have their own hidden agenda and think tĦey are smart. The truth is that tĦey hide under the canopy of 'one Nigeria', but their intentions and thoughts are wicked. Who exactly are tĦey even trying to deceive?
Ochu nwa okuko, nwe ada, nwa okuko nwere . . .
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by tpia5: 12:00pm On Dec 14, 2011
If they change UNN to Ojukwu, is another university going to be named University of Nigeria?
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by opribo(m): 12:06pm On Dec 14, 2011
Useless government, they have no idea at all
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by reloboy(m): 12:17pm On Dec 14, 2011
No No No No not at all, I dont buy the idea
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by ochizo(m): 12:20pm On Dec 14, 2011
opribo:

Useless government, they have no idea at all

Yes very very very useless government. I wonder where there thoughts comes from. Useless bunch of idiots. Renaming my Alma Mater? No WaY!!! angry
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by GWslim(f): 12:20pm On Dec 14, 2011
Not necessary at all.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Okijajuju1(m): 12:22pm On Dec 14, 2011
How about you Name Amanbra State Government House "Ojukwu House"?!

Why must Ojukwu be forced on every Nigerian?!

In my opinion, Ojukwu was a Devisive man. A man who sent millions of Nigerians to an Early grave, A national coward and villian, and hence, does not deserve to have our "NIGERIA" flag in any city or place (including the Eastern states) be flown at half mast for him.

What would naming the Nigerian Defence Academy after him teach the young cadets?! That they can also grow in rank and become unruly?!

Ojukwu should be buried in his village, the name Nnewi can be changed to "Ojukwu" for all I care. But no National institution shall be named after a warlord.

Let those who mourn him, bury their dead.

Nigeria is still a united entity because Ojukwu was defeated. Remember that the next time you call for a State burial or immortalization.  angry

Long live umu Igbo, Long live Nigeria!

And to all those conspiracy theorist, you really must think that the government is idle for you to believe that all they do is sit down and think of how to change the name of a University. I laff in Abriba.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by member479760: 12:26pm On Dec 14, 2011
I pity those that will collect degree from that university anyway. imagine one look at the certificate na ojukwu name dey for front. better no go school to that type of school.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Odunnu: 12:31pm On Dec 14, 2011
Make dem no try this rubbish o
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by xanadu333: 12:34pm On Dec 14, 2011
GBAM !!! ehen nu. yes now. he deserved more dan that
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by timdan(m): 12:39pm On Dec 14, 2011
grin angry angry   y is a university, there r other establishment
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:42pm On Dec 14, 2011
This is rubbish. Haba. Dey should free us, if we are not Nigerians. Everybody eyes are open, u not fooling anybody. angry
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by omar22(m): 12:48pm On Dec 14, 2011
What next?

should be named after the Lt Ojukwu?

I guess its the Igbos who wont let this man rest in peace!!!!

You know what lets change the name of Nigeria to the Peoples Republic of Ojukwu, Democratic Peoples Republic of Ojukwu, Federal Republic of Ojukwu,

while they are at it they should change the name of the national currency to "Bianca" it would sit well alongside the Euros and Dollars
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by ochiaha1(m): 12:50pm On Dec 14, 2011
My Alma mater will always be the University of Nigeria, any attempt to change its name will surely fail  angry

Much as I will like Ojukwu to be immortalised, there are many other befitting National monuments, other than UNN, that can be named after him smiley
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by ochiaha1(m): 12:53pm On Dec 14, 2011
omar22:

What next?

should be named after the Lt Ojukwu?

I guess its the Igbos who wont let this man rest in peace!!!!

You know what lets change the name of Nigeria to the Peoples Republic of Ojukwu, Democratic Peoples Republic of Ojukwu, Federal Republic of Ojukwu,

while they are at it they should change the name of the national currency to "Bianca" it would sit well alongside the Euros and Dollars

[b][/b]ZUWO.  We are discussing a very important issue and you are here blabbing nonsense  angry
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Saecula: 12:55pm On Dec 14, 2011
This gibberish I believe must have been propelled by malice and envy.
The government is rudderless.
I would rather they name him after Anambra state University, the federal high ways and other national structures.
Or better still, just bury him if they don't want to immortalise him.
I'm pissed off.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by joanana(f): 12:56pm On Dec 14, 2011
Gbam!! i agree with you ochi-aha.

Federal government should not try this rubbish oooooo. What nonsense  angry angry angry
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by omar22(m): 12:59pm On Dec 14, 2011
ZUWO  We are discussing a very important issue and you are here blabbing nonsense

Whats important here!!!

Let the man REST IN PEACE!!!!

You dont hear the Germans naming a University on either side of the Berlin wall Aldolf Hitler University
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Kx: 1:00pm On Dec 14, 2011
Why UNN?
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by aljharem3: 1:02pm On Dec 14, 2011
So you people don't even love Ojukwu to heart that much and u have been here defending him as "a hero" of all Igbos which some of you describe as Biafra

If he is a hero,  I am sure changing the name from Nigeria university to Ojukwu University is the best way to pacify the eastern region, isn't it ?

I means like of afam4eve and co are just mumus on this site sending the wrong message as usual
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:09pm On Dec 14, 2011
^^Bia Alj, wat in the name of God are u talkin about? Some people just talk, talk and talk alot.  undecided They should name Aso Rock after Ojukwu, since dey refuse him a state burial.  wink
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by JACUBA: 1:13pm On Dec 14, 2011
This is the worst news I have heard! A lot of crazy things happen in this country called "NIGERIA" because we lack integrity as a nation.  A country where everything is done out of sentiments and lack of purpose. Why will somebody raise such an issue without any iota of shame? If this is a joke, please it should stop and such plan should be buried forever.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by aljharem3: 1:15pm On Dec 14, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

^^Bia Alj, wat in the name of God are u talkin about? Some people just talk, talk and talk alot.  undecided They should name Aso Rock after Ojukwu, since dey refuse him a state burial.  wink

I rather accept if Ojukwu is named after a state university not University of Nigeria Nssuka.

People thinking that they would have on their certificate "UNN" would then have "UON"  undecided that is unfair on them. I must say

Aso rock was in honour on the Asokoros of abuja which are a part of the nupes. Thus you cannot change that after displacing them for their land.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by missuzoma: 1:15pm On Dec 14, 2011
Zik said no and Ojukwu would have said no if anyone asked him. I lend my voice to my alumni association to shout NO!!!
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by cantell(m): 1:19pm On Dec 14, 2011
alj_harem:

So you people don't even love Ojukwu to heart that much and u have been here defending him as "a hero" of all Igbos which some of you describe as Biafra

If he is a hero,  I am sure changing the name from Nigeria university to Ojukwu University is the best way to pacify the eastern region, isn't it ?

I means like of afam4eve and co are just mumus on this site sending the wrong message as usual

Pacify ke? You're the mumu for not seeing what the govt is trying to do.
And btw, why you dey drink panadol for another person head? Busy bodi.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by DisGuy: 1:19pm On Dec 14, 2011
these northerners and their bad belle  grin

can anyone post a link to the FG 's plan to change the name of the uni??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Reason Why Jamb 2013 Result Has Not Been Published..now DISCLOSE / Know Your Discipline!!! / Richard Ogbon: DELSU Confers Honorary Doctorate Degree On 100+Year-Old Monarch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.