Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,763 members, 7,802,327 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? (116447 Views)

12 Images Of Pharaohs That Prove Ancient Egyptians Were Black / Was Cleopatra Black? No. / Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by ibis: 5:53pm On Sep 30, 2007
to the best of my knowledge, the original Egyptians ie the great pharaohs who brought us the great Egyptian civilization, hieroglyphics etc where black people. this is stuff the west is so tripped about and flock into Egypt to see everyday, and the arabs who are now who we know as the "egyptians" are busy takin all the glory angry

i asked an arab egyptian boy at school about black people being the real egyptians and he told me that has not been proved yet and it is still a contentious claim and not yet accepted by their government, (what rubbish!!!!! angry) please does anyone have the answers??
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Nobody: 2:53am On Oct 01, 2007
ibis:

to the best of my knowledge, the original Egyptians ie the great pharaohs who brought us the great Egyptian civilization, hieroglyphics etc where black people. this is stuff the west is so tripped about and flock into Egypt to see everyday, and the arabs who are now who we know as the "egyptians" are busy takin all the glory angry

i asked an arab egyptian boy at school about black people being the real egyptians and he told me that has not been proved yet and it is still a contentious claim and not yet accepted by their government, (what rubbish!!!!! angry) please does anyone have the answers??

It is absolutely true that the ancient pharaohs were black, however this goes against the grain of stereotype so dont expect whites and arabs to believe you when you say so even when the Egyptians themselves recorded this fact both in vivid paintings, hieroglyphics,, mummies and sculptures.

Cleopatra is the only one who i think still remains contentious as there are conflicting theories about her race. All the other pharaohs were black.

There is one thing everyone is clear on - the ancient Egyptians were NOT arab! The so-called arab part of Egypt is confined to urban centers like Cairo and Alexandria - other areas reveal ancient Egypts black history.
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by toshmann(m): 3:11pm On Oct 03, 2007
@david
source pls
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Jen33(m): 9:56pm On Oct 03, 2007
Toshmann did you REALLY ask for a 'source'??

Well, here are sources of various kinds, not just one. Happy reading and viewing!

Ancient Egyptian ethnographic "mural of the races" found in the tomb of Rameses III - Monuments from Egypt and Ethiopia by Karl Richard Lepsius (German: "Denkmaler aus Agypten und Athiopian"wink.  French Egyptologist Champollion found similar murals in other royal tombs. 
Left to right are the Egyptian, the Semite, Other Africans, and last the 'Nahasu' (barbarian) (white caucasian).

Black Africa in the ancient world was called Ethiopia.

"One Picture is worth more than ten thousand words." - Chinese Proverb

Catechism: "The Egyptians called their country Kemet or Black country."

Here's what the Ancient Egyptian language has to say (Ref: EHD, page 787b.):

Note: words inside brackets are the determinatives or word classifiers along with their English meanings.

Kem, kame, kmi, kmem, kmom = to be black

Kememu = Black people (Ancient Egyptians) in both Ancient and modern Egyptian (Kmemou).

Kem [khet][wood] = extremely black, jet-black

Kemet = any black thing. Note: "t" is silent - pronounced Kemé

Kemet [nu][community, settlement, nation] = Black nation = Ancient Egypt. 

Kemet [Romé][people] = Black people. Ancient Egyptians.

King Tutunkahamun (found in his tomb)

Queen Tiye (King Tut's mother)

Kemit [Shoit][books] = Black books, Ancient Egyptian literature. 

Kem wer [miri][large body of water] = The Great Black sea (The Red sea). This sea is neither black nor red, this is in reference to which nation, Black or Red, at a particular time, controlled this body of water.
(Interestingly, the ancient Egyptian word for water (miri) is the same used by Igbos (miri), and similar to Yorubas (o-mi).

Many other such linguistic connections abound.

Kemi fer = Black double house; seat of government. Note: by reference to Wolof again, we know that to make a plural of per or house, the "p" becomes an "f" or fer. Thus fero=great houses (double), it is not pero as Budge writes.

In Ancient Egyptian, the ordinary adjective always follows the noun it modifies, whereas a sanctified adjective usually comes before its noun.  The sanctified adjectives are:

Kem --  Black
Suten -  Royal
Nter ---  Holy, Sacred

Examples:

Kem ti = Black image, sacred image : ti oubash = white image 

Kem ho = Black face/title of a god   : ho oubash = white face 

Kem ta = Black land, holy land        : Ta deshret = Red land (also; Ta Sett)

Nefertiti. This was the result of an experiment by British experts who inputed the skull remains of the ancient queen into a cutting edge computer program to reproduce a  version of her original features.

Reportedly, the British experts nearly fell of their chairs in shock when the computer produced the image above.

According to the Ancient Egyptians, the second Egyptian ruling ethnic/class's ancestral homeland was Punt (Somalia).  They referred to this land as "Ta Nteru" ('Land of the gods').  To emphasize their Puntite origins, the Egyptians portrayed the Puntites in the exact same manner in which they portrayed themselves.

This new ruling ethnic/class called themselves "Mesnitu" ('Metalw
workers/blacksmiths'), and was also referred to as "Shemsu Hor" ('Followers of Horus').

These Mesnitu had overthrown the original ruling ethnic/class, the Anu (those belonging to Osiris's ethnic group; and yes, Osiris was a real life personage), who had previously established its domination over all of Egypt through military conquest and political unification.  Their place of origin was "Ta Seti" ('Land of the Bow') in the Sudan. Gradually tradition would identify both Somalia and the Sudan as "Ta Khent" ('Land of the Beginning' or 'Ancestral land').

The answers to the questions "Where did the Ancient Egyptians come from?" or "What race were the Ancient Egyptians?" have already been given centuries ago, by the Ancient Egyptians themselves.

It isn't a surprise, however, that such relevant information on Ancient Egypt by the Ancient Egyptians themselves, is never mentioned in contemporary books about Ancient Egypt.

Just in case the Ancient Egyptians were confused or possibly mistaken as to what they were, here are some observations from,   

The Ancient Chronicles   

The KJV Bible
And the sons of Ham; Cush (Nubia), and Mizraim (Egypt), and Phut (East Africa), and Canaan (Palestine).  And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.  He was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD.    And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.  Genesis 10:6-10

And they (the sons of Judah upon entering Canaan) found fat pasture and good, and the land was wide, and quiet, and peaceable; for they of Ham had dwelt there of old.      I Chronicles 4:40

Israel also came into Egypt; and Jacob sojourned in the land of Ham, They forgat God their saviour, which had done great things in Egypt; wondrous works in the land of Ham, and terrible things by the Red Sea. Psalms 105:23, 106:21-22

And the lord said, like as my servant Isaiah hath walked naked and barefoot three years for a sign and wonder upon Egypt and upon Ethiopia.  For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.  Isaiah 20:3, 43:3

And the sword shall come upon Egypt, and great pain shall be in Ethiopia, when the slain shall fall in Egypt, and they shall take away her multitude, and her foundations shall be broken down.  Ezekial 30:4

(Pharaoh's daughter)  I am black, and comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon. Song of Solomon  1

Ethiopia and Egypt were her strength and it was infinite. Nahum 3:9

Kebra Nagast (Ethiopian bible - "The Glory of Kings"wink
Solomon has taken a wife not of his color, who is moreover black, for he has married the daughter of Pharaoh.

The Greek Chronicles

Herodotus (Called 'The father of history' by western historians.

Origins of the Oracle of Dodona

At Dodona, however, the priestesses who deliver the oracles have a different version of the story: two black doves, they say, flew away from Thebes in Egypt, and one of them alighted at Dodona, the other in Libya (Africa), The story which the people of Dodona tell about the doves came, I should say, from the fact that the women were foreigners, whose language sounded to them like the twittering of birds, As to the bird being black, they merely signify by this that the woman was Egyptian. -book II

Colchians are of Egyptian Descent
But it is undoubtedly a fact that the Colchians are of Egyptian descent, My own idea on the subject was based on the fact that they have black skins and wooly hair, and secondly, and more especially, on the fact that the Colchians, the Egyptians, and the Ethiopians are the only races which from ancient times have practiced circumcision. -book II

Aristotle

''Those who are too black are cowards, like for instance, the Egyptians and Ethiopians.  But those who are excessively white are also cowards as can be seen from the example of women, the complexion of courage is between the two -Physiognomy'' 6

Diodorus of Sicily

Origins of the Egyptians
''The Ethiopians say that the Egyptians are one of their colonies, which was led into Egypt by Osiris.  They claim that at the beginning of the world Egypt was simply a sea but that the Nile, carrying down vast quantities of loam from Ethiopia in its flood waters, finally filled it in and made it part of the continent, They add that the Egyptians have received from them, as from authors and their ancestors, the greater part of their laws.'' -Universal History, book III

Colossi of Memnon
These are two colossal seated statues of Pharaoh Amenhotep III in western Thebes.  At dawn, the northern statue emitted a whistling sound.  Ancient Greeks who visited the statue called it the 'vocal Memnon', thinking the figure represented the Homeric character Memnon, singing to his mother Eos, the goddess of the dawn.

Memnon was an Ethiopian king who went to troy to help Priam, his uncle, and was killed by Achilles.

To the Ancient Greeks; Egyptian - Ethiopian - same thing.

Ancient clues found in Egypt:

(I sure know whites or 'arabs' don't use these)

When visiting Egypt today, this is what we see of The Sphinx of Giza.

This is what Vivant Denon saw in 1798 before the Sphinx was defaced.

"Israel also came into Egypt, the land of Ham." (Psalm 105: 23).

Pharoah Menkaure (Third Dynasty)

King Usekafe

Egyptian priest

Man from Old Kingdom

Egyptian priest 2nd dynasty

King Nyamare Amenhemet (2nd Dynasty)

Pharoah Hotepsekhami

Pharoah Djoser

Queen Hatshepshu

Pharoah Peri Anku IVth

Rameses II

King Amenehmet III ''The dreadlocked Pharaoh''.

Toshmann, if you need more ''sources'', let me know!

One last thing. Because of the western/arab conspiracy to shield the truth of the African nature of Ancient Egypt, you will notice that many of the statues have their noses chiselled off, or sawn off. But the stubbornly negroid base of the noses displays the truth.  grin

Many of the practices of the Egyptians which western historians term ''strange'' are actually African customs. Circumcision, the divinity of kings, matrilineal succession, bride price, pouring of libation, festivals, naming ceremonies, elaborate burials, to name a few.

Of course if you look around the world, who are the only people who practise these things in their entirety till today, not black Africans?

Egypt fell to foreign hands first with the invasion of the Greeks, led by Alexander 'The Great', who sacked the country and had thousands of Africans migrating southwards. This is why many traditions in West Africa ascribe a Nile Valley origin of one form or another to their histories. Many African groups have the tradition of having migrated from the land of the great river, 

Following Alexander's conquest in 30 BC, Ptolemy, the Greek, became ruler of Egypt.

By then the pyramids were already ancient relics, having been constructed between 5000 to 2000 BC.

So you may find recent Greek like sculptures of 'Egyptian' aristocrats, such as Cleopatra, but these are from what is known as the Late Period, starting from a few years BC, when Egypt had fallen under Greek rule.

Then in 600AD,  Egypt was overrun by Arabs, leading to further emigration of blacks southwards.

It is believed by Yorubas that this was the period Oduduwa led his people down to Nigeria, to escape the Islamic hordes bent on converting them away from their religion,

This is why Cairo, Alexandra etc today are Arab cities, with no real connection to the history of the place.

And this is why outside of those two cities even today in Egypt, you're more or less in black Africa.

1 Like

Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 03, 2007
Thanks Jen33, the obvious clue lies in the systematic defacing of the noses of most of the sculptures in existence today including the sphinx.
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by toshmann(m): 11:34pm On Oct 03, 2007
@jen33
you win cheesy

@david
knowledge can only improve when shared. now i know better. asking for source wasn't to insult ur intergrity but to get me better informed

by the way. . . . .king tut was black? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
was he not the "boy king" who ruled from age 9- age 18 or so? was he black? chei, BBC don kill me. i watched a documentary on king tut and they showed a whitey angry
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Nobody: 12:20am On Oct 04, 2007
toshmann:

@david
knowledge can only improve when shared. now i know better. asking for source wasn't to insult your intergrity but to get me better informed

Nah, i didnt take it that way. i was thinking it would take me ages to start showing u proof until Jen33 helped me out. no offence taken at all. I first saw most of my proof on Discovery channel documentaries on King Tut, Tutankhamen and Queen Nefertiti.

toshmann:

by the way. . . . .king tut was black? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
was he not the "boy king" who ruled from age 9- age 18 or so? was he black? chei, BBC don kill me. i watched a documentary on king tut and they showed a whitey angry

Of course the bust made of King Tut depicts a white man. Ancient Egyptian sculptures and hieroglyphics however contradicts that.
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by beneli(m): 12:04pm On Oct 04, 2007
I think its about time our intellectuals became more interested in getting some of this kind of stuff out to a wider audience. Because this is the only way we can start re-engineering the mindset of our people.

You see, as long as the majority of our people continues to believe the errors about our ancient history, which our detractors want us to believe, then we will continue with the kind of primitive and embarrasing intranecine bitching that we prefer to engage in.

We have become the laughing stock of every other race as we continue to trudge along, generation after generation, under the oppressive weight of the slave mentality that has gripped us for many centuries. And which will keep us as the defeated people that our detractors want us to remain.

Guys! our ancestors built the Pyramids and the Sphinx and gave birth to a civilization which others have so passionately tried to erase from the memory of mankinds history, and almost succeeded.

Ancient Egypt is a testament to what we have been and what we can be. 

Think about it.
Think about what an internalising of such truth can do to the psyche of our leaders. Think about what it would do to the mentality of the youth in the ghettos of shame where our detractors try to subjugate us to once we come to them in search of the crumbs from their benevolent colonial tables; Colonial tables of those who have so tried to efface us.

Think about it.
And don't you now see how it can transform us and why the world would prefer for us to see ourselves only the way they want us to be seen; as victims of slavery and colonisation born out of their "altruistic" desire to set us free from our self-destructive savagery?

Methinks that this is the kind of stuff that those who are responsible for developing the educational curricula in our schools back home should start finding ways to teach our children; And let them who make movies start developing scripts, which tell of our proud past, let those who write tell these stories because no one else will do it for us.

Our detractors may call it propaganda or whatever they wish:

I would prefer to call it what it is; the renaissance of the race who gave the world the Pharohs.

1 Like

Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Jen33(m): 5:15am On Oct 05, 2007
Well spoken, beneli.
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Horus(m): 10:59am On Oct 05, 2007
[img]http://mathildasanthropologyblog.files./2008/07/nubian-mummy.jpg[/img]
Mummy of Maihirpre

In March, 1899 (exactly one year after his discovery of the cache tomb of Amenhotep II) Victor Loret ordered his workmen to make a series of sondages in an area of the Valley of the Kings (Egypt)between the tombs of Tuthmosis I (KV 38) and Amenhotep II (KV 35.) He eventually uncovered a shaft, approximately twenty six feet deep, with a small chamber cut into one side. Loret descended the shaft, entered the chamber, and made another remarkable find: the first essentially intact tomb ever found in the Valley of the Kings. Inscriptional evidence indicated that the small tomb (KV 36)  belonged to a man named Maihirpre. His funerary equipment constituted the most complete assemblage of such objects found in the Valley up to that time, and would remain so until Theodore Davis discovered the tomb of Yuya and Tuyu in 1905.
    Obviously of 18'th Dynasty derivation, the exact date of the burial is still disputed, and evidence from the tomb can lend support to several different dating schemes. A linen wrapping found on Maihirpre's mummy bears the cartouche of  Hatshepsut. Influenced by the presence of this cartouche, Steindorff speculated that Maihirpre might have been a companion of Tuthmosis I, Hatshepsut's father. Quibell  also based his conclusions on the Hatshepsut cartouche (as well as on pottery considerations) but argued that the tomb should be dated to the time of Tuthmosis III, and Daressy accepted Quibell's dating in his Fouilles. Today, some researchers believe that the linen wrapping with the Hatshepsut cartouche was a kind of antique, old in Maihirpre's lifetime, because other objects in KV 36 clearly point to periods later than that of the female Pharaoh. One of these, a beautiful glass vase, has been dated to the reign of Amenhotep II on stylistic grounds. In his 1908 Guide to the Cairo Museum, Gaston Maspero also dates Maihirpre's burial to the reign of Amenhotep II, a view which was shared by Hayes, G. E. Smith, and Cyril Aldred. However, Maspero changed his mind in the 1915 edition of his Guide, in which he dated KV 36 to the time of Amenhotep III, a date which was also accepted by Rex Engelbach. Maspero probably based his view on a consideration of the box and loincloths of Maihirpre found along with a fragmentary box of Amenhotep III in 1902 by Howard Carter. Maihirpre's coffins, sarcophagus and canopic equipment (see below) bear a close stylistic resemblance to the funerary ensemble of Yuya and Tuyu,  and would also seem to derive from sometime during the reign of Amenhotep III. C. N. Reeves dates KV 36 to the time of Tuthmosis IV, a view also held by Alfred Lucas and his reviser, J. R. Harris.
    Never properly published by Loret, the only account of the discovery written while the objects were still in situ within KV 36 was penned by Georg Schweinfurth, a botanist, and appeared in the popular German magazine Vossische Zeitung on May 25, 1899. Three years later, Georges Daressy published photographic plates of the mummy and the tomb's contents in his Catalogue General des Antiquites Egyptiennes du Musee du Caire: Fouilles de la Vallee des Rois ([Cairo, 1902,] pp. 281-298) and this long out of print book has remained the only extensive photographic record of the find ever published. Unless otherwise indicated, the photographs of Maihirpre and his funerary equipment used on this website are from Daressy's work. They provide a valuable visual record of an important Egyptological discovery that has been largely forgotten by the general public today.

Maihirpre's mummy (Pictures) was found resting in a nested set of two coffins contained within a large rectangular wooden sarcophagus. Schweinfurth reported that thieves had removed some of the bandages from the mummy, and his statement was confirmed by Daressy, who added the detail that large sections of bandages had been cut with a sharp instrument which had been applied with particular force to the bandages of the legs. Reeves dates this illicit activity in Maihirpre's tomb to the Ramesside period based on the evidence of 20'th Dynasty ostraca found in the vicinity of KV 36 by Howard Carter in 1902.
    In spite of its ill-treatment by tomb robbers, Maihirpre's mummy retained its cartonnage mummy mask and still had about a dozen different articles of jewelry in place among the tattered bandages or lying loose in the coffin. Among these were bracelets, collars, plaques, and a scarab. The embalming incision was still covered with a plain gold plate which the thieves had also managed to miss.
    The mummy itself, which was unwrapped on March 22, 1901, was very well preserved. According to Daressy, Maihirpre was a young man when he died, probably not much over 20 years of age. Dennis Forbes reminds us that Daressy was not a trained anatomist and that his estimate of Maihirpre's age at death is "certainly not expert opinion." However, it seems evident that Maihirpre was far from being elderly. The fact that his teeth are only mildly worn is a good indication of a young age at death. The ancient Egyptian practice of mixing grain with sand and grit in order to aid the grinding process produced a kind of bread that was dentally abrasive and able to wear down the teeth in relatively short order.
    Maihirpre's mummy measures 5 feet, 4.75 inches and his skin is dark brown. Daressy believed that this skin color is not the result of chemical reactions with the embalming materials, and most writers contend the Maihirpre was at least part Nubian. The curly hair which is so visibly prominent on the mummy's head would initially seem to confirm Maihirpre's Nubian ancestry. Maihirpre's ears were pierced, and he was uncircumcised. No wounds or obvious signs of illness appear on his body that might help to indicate the cause of his death, but, as Dennis Forbes points out, Maihirpre has never been examined by an experienced anatomist. The skin was missing on the soles of his feet, but this probably occurred during the embalming process.
    Maihirpre bore several important titles. He was referred to as a "child of the k3p," a title normally used to designate a foreign prince who had been raised from an early age in Egypt. This practice, which came into vogue during the New Kingdom, helped to cultivate a sense of loyalty toward Egypt in the children of vassal-state rulers. He also bore the important title "fanbearer to the king" and was one of the earliest people to hold this designation. Dennis Forbes points out that this title was often held by the Viceroy of Kush himself. Maspero speculated that Maihirpre may have been the son of Tuthmosis IV or Amenhotep III and a Nubian concubine, but no hard inscriptional evidence supports this. It is hard to imagine a son of the Pharaoh, even by a lesser concubine, who would not unambiguously proclaim his half-royal parentage in one of his personal titles.

Source-1: http://www.geocities.com/royalmummies/Maihirpre/Maihirpre.htm

Source-2: [url=http://cuip.uchicago.edu/%7Ejhawkins/1999/Ancientmummies.html]http://cuip.uchicago.edu/~jhawkins/1999/Ancientmummies.html[/url]

Source-3: http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/maiherperi.html
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Horus(m): 11:55am On Oct 12, 2007

King Tutankhamun

King Tutankhamun

Some of you have seen this before I'm sure, and for those that haven't, that is the face of King Tutankhamun. It's[b] NOT[/b] an artistic representation, but rather a complete reconstruction based on his physical remains using SCIENTIFIC METHODS.
That means they used his bone structure, ethnicity and many other factors to create a[b] REALISTIC [/b]depiction of what he looked like in life.
Also, this work was the collaboration of Scientists from America and Europe.

You can find out how they did it here:
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/antenna/tutankhamun/
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by naijadiva2(f): 7:55pm On Oct 12, 2007
i dont' care what anyone says, egyptians are black. just because they are light doesn't mean a thing. black comes in all shades.

1 Like

Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 12, 2007
the Egyptians painted themselves as very dark in complexion, it is those who are uncomfortable with the facts that the black race may have been the most powerful race on earth at a time they were still hunting animals with sticks and living in nearderthal caves who struggle so hard to give the Egyptians lighter skin tones.

1 Like

Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Horus(m): 10:34am On Oct 14, 2007

King Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamon

Source: http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/kingtutankhamunshine.html
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by ibis: 8:32pm On Oct 15, 2007
the world tries to make it seem black people only excel in sports and music etc but not intellectually.

Great brains were behind egypt!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Ndipe(m): 9:52pm On Oct 30, 2007
Ironically, Egyptians dont regard themselves as black.
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 30, 2007
Ndipe:

Ironically, Egyptians don't regard themselves as black.

The real Egyptians were not arabs. Those presently calling themselves pharaohs today are impostors and offspring of the arabs who invaded most of black north africa after the rise of islam. Beyond Cairo and Alexandria you could as well be any place in Subsaharan africa . . . the rest of Egypt is populated by blacks. Ever heard of the coptic christians?
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Ndipe(m): 10:47pm On Oct 30, 2007
Does the title "Pharoh' still exists in Egypt, or does it?
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 30, 2007
The Egyptian national soccer team is known as the pharaohs.
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Ndipe(m): 11:53pm On Oct 30, 2007
Living in the past, can you blame the? Which African leader's, (past or present) last name can be equated with the Pharoh title?

Nkrumah? Mandela?
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Horus(m): 12:06pm On Oct 31, 2007

This image shows a computer reconstruction
of what is believed to be the face of Nefertiti.

[size=16pt]Could this be the profile of Nefertiti? [/size]

By Tim Friend, USA TODAY

Is this Nefertiti? Two months ago, a team of Egyptologists led by British scientist Joann Fletcher of the University of York announced that a neglected mummy collecting dust in a nondescript tomb was actually that of ancient Egypt's most famous female ruler.
In an effort to confirm her identity, two British experts have applied their forensic skills to digital X-rays of the skull.
Neither Damian Schofield of Nottingham University nor Martin Evison of Sheffield University knew in advance the identity of their "victim." They specialize in reconstructing human faces from skulls for murder cases in which the victim is unknown.
Schofield and Evison created a 3-D computer mesh of the skull, then placed a series of markers to designate where tissue would be added. Next, they added facial muscles to give the face its full depth and contour. Finally, a graphic artist added skin texture, eye color, lips and the crown.
Schofield and Evison say the reconstruction does not prove the skull belongs to Nefertiti. But they were surprised at the similarities with Nefertiti's bust, which was made during her lifetime and is displayed at the Egyptian Museum in Berlin.
Says Fletcher: "I was bowled over by it, to be honest. The face is that of a very strong individual indeed. She has such a beautiful profile. She is stunning."
Nefertiti's image is one of the most popular today from ancient Egypt. But the real queen was hated by Egyptian society after her reign ended. An unusually powerful queen, she reigned with her husband, Akhenaten, who ruled from 1352 to 1336 B.C., during the late 18th dynasty. Nefertiti may have ruled as pharaoh for three years after his death.
Nefertiti vanished from Egyptian history with no trace of a royal tomb or evidence of a burial.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2003-08-12-nefertiti-usat_x.htm
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by goodbobo: 12:08pm On Nov 01, 2007
The white world have succedded in making we blacks feel that we are not any force to recorn with when it comes to intelligence and creativity and the honest but painful truth is that so many of us believe that . I have a black american friend who just came to Nigeria to spend 3 weeks . she was so suprised at what she saw . she said over there in the US they were told all sorts of unbelievable things about africa . she said they were told that on the street of lagos , people go about begging on the street , lots of starvation and acute poverty . That lagos is very very unsafe that u can hardly go out . But to her greatest amazement , she enjoyed every bit of her stay in Lagos .
All the great brains that are black are never reported nor celebrated . Do u know that our own computer genius Philip Emagweile is one of the greatest brains that worked the surface of the earth but we only know his cos he is nigerian but who many people worldwide know him they way other great brains are all known . The truth is , not even the asains can stand the kind of brains we have . The asians have only been so successful today cos they were able to build on existing technology . How many discoveries or creations have they been able to make themselves .There is even another very very great brain i just found out . His name is Dr. Mark Dean , a black man

u can read more about him here :

"America's High Tech "Invisible Man"
By Tyrone D. Taborn

You may not have heard of Dr. Mark Dean. And you aren't alone. But almost everything in your life has been affected by his work.

See, Dr. Mark Dean is a Ph.D. from Stanford University. He is in theNational Hall of Inventors. He has more than 30 patents pending. He is a vice president with IBM. Oh, yeah. And he is also the architect of the modern-day personal computer. Dr. Dean holds three of the original nine patents on the computer that all PCs are based upon. And, Dr. Mark Dean is an African American.

So how is! it that we can celebrate the 20th anniversary of the IBM personal computer without reading or hearing a single word about him? Given all of the pressure mass media are under about negative portrayals of African Americans on television and in print, you would think it
would be a slam dunk to highlight someone like Dr. Dean.

Somehow, though, we have managed to miss the shot. History is cruel when it comes to telling the stories of African Americans. Dr. Dean isn't the first Black inventor to be overlooked Consider John Stanard, inventor of the refrigerator, George Sampson, creator of the clothes dryer,
Alexander Miles and his elevator, Lewis Latimer and the electric lamp.
All of these inventors share two things:

One, they changed the landscape of our society; and, two, society relegated them to the footnotes of history. Hopefully, Dr. Mark Dean won't go away as quietly as they did. He certainly shouldn't. Dr. Dean helped start a Digital Revolution that created people like Microsoft's Bill Gates and Dell Computer's Michael Dell. Millions of jobs in information technology can be traced back directly to ! Dr. Dean.

More important, stories like Dr. Mark Dean's should serve as inspiration for African-American children. Already victims of the "Digital Divide" and failing school systems, young, Black kids might embrace technology with more enthusiasm! if they knew someone like Dr. Dean already was leading the way.

Although technically Dr. Dean can't be credited with creating thecomputer -- that is left to Alan Turing, a pioneering 20th-century English mathematician, widely considered to be the father of modern computer science -- Dr. Dean rightly deserves to take a bow for the machine we use today. The computer really wasn't practical for home or small business use until he came along, leading a team that developed the interior architecture (ISA systems! bus) that enables multiple devices, such as modems and printers, to be connected to personal computers.

In other words, because of Dr. Dean, the PC became a part of our daily lives. For most of us, changing the face of society would have been enough. But not for Dr. Dean, Still in his early forties, he has! a lot of inventing left in him.

He recently made history again by leading the design team responsible for creating the first 1-gigahertz processor chip, It's just another huge step in making computers faster and smaller. As the world congratulates itself for the new Digital Age brought on by the personal computer, we need to guarantee that the African-American story is part of the hoopla surrounding the most stunning technological advance the world has ever seen, We cannot afford to let Dr. Mark Dean become a footnote in history. He is well worth his own history book.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by naijaking1: 9:18am On Nov 03, 2007
Very interesting, I watched the director of Egyptian mesuem argue hopelessly about how they are neither blacl nor white, but Egyptians.

He must be trying to follow his government official position on the issue.
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Horus(m): 9:42am On Nov 03, 2007
when white peoples visit Egypt today, the locals immediately recognize them as Khawaaga or foreigners. On the other hand, African Americans [/b]traveling in Egypt are very often mistaken for [b]native Egyptians, and are usually referred to as Masri or Egyptians. That is because, The simple truth is that Egypt is, and always has been a black African nation. Once you leave the great Arab cities of Cairo and Alexandria, and go into the Nile valley, you are in black Africa. Now, Egypt has been ruled by an Arab minority since the 9th century A.D., a minority that is extremely sensitive to race, and one which behaves in the manner chided by Ahmed Ben Bella, the late president of Algeria - "We (Arabs) have been in Africa for 1200 years, and yet we still behave as colonialists."This Arab minority control the images you see on television about Egypt.

Source: http://www.geocities.com/wally_mo/mod_egyptians.html

Young Black Egyptian, Mostafa

Black Egyptian musician, Upper Egypt

Black Egyptian driver, Luxor

Source: http://www.geocities.com/wally_mo/mod_egyptians.html
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by ereyomi: 4:14pm On Sep 04, 2009
thanks for keeping us all informed guys and also very excellent research work. i am definately proud to be an african!!!. smiley
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by agathamari(f): 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2009
i, as well as most children in the US were always taught that eqyptians were/are black. not until i got to nigeria and was told by numerous nigerians that anyone north of the sahara is not black or african which confuses me because its on the african continent and therefor would technicaly be african no? even teh face of africa compitition is for people from subsaharan africa. very odd.
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by Wrex(m): 11:20am On Feb 20, 2010
Thanks guys for this wonderful info.I am really proud to be an african
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by ezeagu(m): 3:24pm On Feb 21, 2010
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by pleep(m): 3:10am On Feb 22, 2011
cleopatra and most of the pharoes after alexander the great conquered eygpt were not even eygptians they were greek.

but I know for a fact that the early, true eygptian pharoes where black. nefertiti, and most egyptian women, for example were completly bald. they mostly wore wool wigs. kinda reminds you of african women today no? haha
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by amor4ce(m): 8:07am On Feb 28, 2011
Imagine what blacks can accomplish if our intelligence was restored. If the past accomplishments were on the dark side, them we probably deserved what we got We can try again but this time without divisions like one group claiming to be superior to others.

I've also wondered why nations of the Nile except arab Egypt+Sudan have allowed the latter to dominate the use of the Nile and let them use their dams to cover/hide/bury Nubian treasures with water (http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2010/05/2010519183943413127.html).

Here's another resource from National Geographic titled "The Black Pharaohs"
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/02/black-pharaohs/robert-draper-text/2
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by adejimota: 5:31am On Mar 02, 2011
This thread is enlightening
Re: Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? by vivaladiva(f): 5:52am On Mar 02, 2011
ok so aunty cleo and uncle ramses were black ehen-----seriously this is pathetic----when black africans arent interested in archeology or ancient history----when i mean interested i mean going there n diging up n collecting artefacts and evidence, learning ancient languages n translating them---- not just gobbling up some crap on the internet put there to make some delluded black people feel good about themselves-----how many black africans can read the egyptian hyroglifics (thank mankind for google), how many black africans even go to egypt---not to hussle but purely out of interest-----oh plsssssssssssss

even if the egyptians where black so bloody fu-ck wat----is that the stimulus we need to make us sit straight and act right, shiiiiit that was 4000 years ago

wat happened to our history from just 500, 400, 300,200 years ago----where is it documented by black africans that we can read today and not feel that is tainted by western subjective opinions----una think say na by black black---black dey n black sef dey, even if they were blacks, they clearly had a culture of documenting things that i dont think blacks of west africa were ever interested in doing,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? / Yoruba Mythology / Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.