Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,632 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here (86517 Views)

Psychology Graduates Lets Meet Here / Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by lekside44(m): 8:09pm On Jan 04, 2012
the speed of light either green red or what ever is constant for two stationary object (the source and the receiver) but when one body or the two are moving, you applied Doppler effect.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2012

Maybe i should just give the answer, or wait some more?

(The man was initially booked for beating the lights and being drunk, but when he made that statement, they had to book him for overspeeding too!)
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
Further your career. Postgraduate studies in US and Canada. learn more here http://www.graduate-studies..com/
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 15, 2012
I'm happy 2 see a thread like this. I'm a Physics and Electronics graduate and I currently work as a Meteorologist. Most of the Meteorologist I know are either Physicist or Mathematician.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by sleekcm(m): 8:59am On Jan 20, 2012
No one wants to give that problem a crack? Why is every1 quiet? Mod maybe u shld gv d soln since all 'em Physicists are scared.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 11:35am On Jan 20, 2012
sleekcm:

No one wants to give that problem a crack? Why is every1 quiet? Mod maybe u shld gv d soln since all 'em Physicists are scared.

Everyone is busy making money, i guess.

Was thinking i'd wait till December b4 giving the solution so it'd be the Question Of The Year.
[s]
Someone came very close to the answer though.[/s]
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by trent101(m): 8:31am On Jan 21, 2012
helo fellow physicist.i just got admitted into university of portharcourt 2 study physics,i want 2 no if i can b cleard wit agric in place of biology cos i got d7 in biology nd b3 in agric,pls in nid an urgent reply,tanks guys.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by sleekcm(m): 1:15pm On Jan 21, 2012
Final Attempt: Since our favourite drunk claimed he saw green as he approached d stop lights,we'll derive his f w.r.t c and wavelength {green}. F= 3 E 8%565nm. Now, his speed at this f, v= wavelength{g+r}*f= 1190nm*(3E8/565nm) = 6.318584*10^6 m/s. If that isn't d soln,sm1 shld school me pls.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 1:50pm On Jan 21, 2012
sleekcm:

Final Attempt: Since our favourite drunk claimed he saw green as he approached d stop lights,we'll derive his f w.r.t c and wavelength {green}. F= 3 E 8%565nm. Now, his speed at this f, v= wavelength{g+r}*f= 1190nm*(3E8/565nm) = 6.318584*10^6 m/s. If that isn't d soln,sm1 shld school me pls.

Dec 31, 2012.

God willing.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by AjanleKoko: 3:10pm On Jan 21, 2012
yamakuza:

Dec 31, 2012.

God willing.

Time to burst your bubble grin

Red light has a wavelength of approximately 700 nm(which corresponds to a frequency of about 430 THz), while green light would be about 535 nm(frequency of 560 THz).

Doppler formula for the blueshift effect is:
f'=(c/(c+v)) * f, so we get:
v = c * ((f/f')-1)

v is radial speed from source to observer. Negative v indicates the velocity vector has to point towards source.

Calculating:
v = -0.232 c , which would be about 70000 km/s.

My source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_would_you_have_to_go_to_turn_a_red_light_green#ixzz1k6NMZg43
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 4:12pm On Jan 21, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Time to burst your bubble grin

Red light has a wavelength of approximately 700 nm(which corresponds to a frequency of about 430 THz), while green light would be about 535 nm(frequency of 560 THz).

Doppler formula for the blueshift effect is:
f'=(c/(c+v)) * f, so we get:
v = c * ((f/f')-1)

v is radial speed from source to observer. Negative v indicates the velocity vector has to point towards source.

Calculating:
v = -0.232 c , which would be about 70000 km/s.

My source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_fast_would_you_have_to_go_to_turn_a_red_light_green#ixzz1k6NMZg43

Aaaaaaw!

Congratulations!

EEE (2) : PHY (0)
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by AjanleKoko: 4:20pm On Jan 21, 2012
^^^
Physics grads fall hand again grin
[size=3pt]no thanks to Google and Wikipedia[/size]
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 4:27pm On Jan 21, 2012
To be honest, i saw that question many years ago and needed someone to rework it.

Sleekcm's answers were too preposterous so i immediately knew he was wrong.

Anyway, in trying to find the answer, i came across an alternative solution and would like our Esteemed Physicists to throw more light:

v = delta lambda c

(lamda2 - lambda1/lambda2) * c

gives 0.2c or 0.3c depending on your choice of lambda(1 or 2).

1. Which formula is this?

2. Which answer is more correct?

Thanks!
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by AjanleKoko: 4:42pm On Jan 21, 2012
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 5:01pm On Jan 21, 2012
AjanleKoko:

^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect

Thanks!

This proves your initial answer wasnt just Google Effort.

So,

z = delta lambda c
   = 0.2c (blueshift?)
   = 0.3c (redshift?)

Caramba!

EEE (4) : PHY (0)
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by sleekcm(m): 9:00pm On Jan 21, 2012
Aha! I'v bn properly schooled here. Gave it a shot anyways.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 9:19pm On Jan 21, 2012
sleekcm:

Aha! I'v bn properly schooled here. Gave it a shot anyways.

Dont worry. Its the spirit that counts.

At least, its supposed to!
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by bukkytroni: 10:45am On Jan 23, 2012
Pls

has @Ajanlekoko's riddle been solved,
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by bukkytroni: 10:47am On Jan 23, 2012
yamakuza:

Anyway, in trying to find the answer, i came across an alternative solution and would like our Esteemed Physicists to throw more light:

According to one of my dumb lecturers then, He said BRING the LIGHT let ME THROW IT,
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by AjanleKoko: 10:48am On Jan 23, 2012
bukkytroni:

Pls

has @Ajanlekoko's riddle been solved,

The one about the gravity train? Yeah, some dude made a good attempt.
Just google 'Gravity Train' and you'll see the details of the solution.

I was wondering what happened to all the physicists. Apparently like t22, everyone of you guys have gone into IT and finance grin
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by bukkytroni: 11:02am On Jan 23, 2012
AjanleKoko:

The one about the gravity train? Yeah, some dude made a good attempt.
Just google 'Gravity Train' and you'll see the details of the solution.

I was wondering what happened to all the physicists. Apparently like t22, everyone of you guys have gone into IT and finance grin

@Ajanlekoko

No be our fault o. Na Nigerian situation cause am. Physics is all about thinking, Who can think on hungry stomach, As long as there is money in return for the thinking, I can guarantee you, all the physics decampees will soon be back,
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by AjanleKoko: 11:18am On Jan 23, 2012
bukkytroni:

@Ajanlekoko

No be our fault o. Na Nigerian situation cause am. Physics is all about thinking, Who can think on hungry stomach, As long as there is money in return for the thinking, I can guarantee you, all the physics decampees will soon be back,

Money isn't everything bro.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by lekside44(m): 9:23pm On Jan 24, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Money isn't everything bro.

it is. what is the point working 4 a peanut?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by AjanleKoko: 10:13pm On Jan 24, 2012
lekside44:

it is. what is the point working 4 a peanut?

Money certainly hasn't helped Nigeria or Nigerians.
My brother, I have been to many countries that are poor, even some under sanctions from UN. In their 'poverty',  when you see what the people are able to achieve, you will cry for yourself and your nation.

I find that Nigerians are always talking about money. Even the very intelligent Nigerians nowadays think and talk only about money. Just how much money do you need to live life?

At the beginning of your career, never work to earn. Work to learn.

1 Like

Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Taiw(m): 12:44am On Jan 25, 2012
can any physicist answer d question without cheating? why did NASA spend millions to develop a pen that could write in space when they could have just stick to using pencil?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 12:50am On Jan 25, 2012
Taiw:

can any physicist answer d question without cheating? why did NASA spend millions to develop a pen that could write in space when they could have just stick to using pencil?

*answer deleted*

waiting for The Physicists.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by chukxy: 11:04am On Jan 25, 2012
Taiw:

NASA spent millions to develop a pen that could write in space when they could have just stick to using pencil because of the following reasons:

1. the pencil leads, when broken ,float in the atmosphere where there is zero gravity;this constitutes a hazard to the eye and nose and could cause a short in an electric devices;

2.both the pencil lead and wood could burn rapidly in pure oxygen atmosphere .

In other words, they made safety priority taken a cue from what happened in the first Appollo (fire).
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 12:03pm On Jan 25, 2012
@ topic

The best option is probably to go for the masters and then phd, like others have said.

Physics, like maths, is a very good course but the challenge is little information about their applications and edge in the job market.

But these are fields the world simply cant do without because they're very important for technological advancement.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by AjanleKoko: 4:44pm On Jan 25, 2012
Taiw:

What constitutes cheating?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 8:07pm On Jan 25, 2012
why did NASA spend millions to develop a pen that could write in space when they could have just stick to using pencil?

that seems to be an urban legend.

an explanation is on wiki and snopes:

A common urban legend states that, faced with the fact that ball-point pens will not write in zero-gravity, NASA spent a large amount of money to develop a pen that would write in the conditions experienced during spaceflight (the result purportedly being the Fisher Space Pen), while the Soviet Union took the simpler (and cheaper) route of just using pencils.

Russian cosmonauts used pencils, and grease pencils on plastic slates until also adopting a space pen in 1969 with a purchase of 100 units for use on all future missions.[1] NASA programs previously used pencils (for example a 1965 order of mechanical pencils[2]) but because of the substantial dangers that broken-off pencil tips and graphite dust pose in zero gravity to electronics and the flammable nature of the wood present in pencils[2] a better solution was needed. NASA never approached Paul Fisher to develop a pen, nor did Fisher receive any government funding for the pen's development. Fisher invented it independently, and then asked NASA to try it. After the introduction of the AG7 Space Pen, both the American and Soviet (later Russian) space agencies adopted it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pen
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 8:32pm On Jan 25, 2012
^ Interesting answer by tpia there, caught by spambot.

[s]Seems to corroborate that of chukxy too.[/s]
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 9:12pm On Jan 25, 2012
^The "s.pambot" got it right after i typed it.

Couldnt be bothered reposting with another id (maybe some other time when i've dreamed up a really interesting moniker).

But if i should descend on whoever is sending that s.pambot after me though- dem go know wetin dem no know before.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With / CEO Back Home Now Cleaning Nyash In UK - Curvy Nigerian Lady Breaks Down In Tear / Woman Working At A Building Site In Lagos (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.