Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? (5989 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by TRUTHTELA: 6:25am On Dec 19, 2011
If " OCCUPY LEKKI " could be such a FLOP, then Nigerians will do " NATIN " about subsidy removal. How did Lord Lugard, merge such a DOCILE nation ? I shudder,  I said it on a certain thread that Lekki residents must pay that toll, it was all a DRAMA. You don't learn to PROTEST overnight.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by deor03(m): 7:21am On Dec 19, 2011
Bro,
It's over.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by deor03(m): 7:23am On Dec 19, 2011
Bro,
It's over.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by TRUTHTELA: 8:12am On Dec 19, 2011
^^ Lol, let's wait for " OCCUPY Jonathan "
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Nobody: 8:36am On Dec 19, 2011
They should learn from WallStreet protesters in New York
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Mobinga: 8:42am On Dec 19, 2011
odiaero:

They should learn from WallStreet protesters in New York

What did / have they achieved?  grin

LMFAO @ Occupy Lekki. grin
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Baawaa(m): 8:56am On Dec 19, 2011
Our government knows we are cowards,so they can do whatever they like.We lack the zeal to fight for our right
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 19, 2011
Mobinga:

What did / have they achieved? grin

Ok, they should learn form Egypt then
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 19, 2011
They don't want to die or face any serious bodily injury that can come from protesting.
I wonder how much suffering Nigerians will face before they gather courage and start seriously protesting.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by scopusng(m): 9:13am On Dec 19, 2011
I can't believe that occupy Lekki is over just after one day protest. Anyway, that is Naija for you. I laugh in Boko my native language. Mtscheew
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by TRUTHTELA: 9:19am On Dec 19, 2011
Lekki is filled with the working class. They can't afford to stay off  work & occupy anywhere. A country that their RULERS can get away with anything since 1960-2011 should be , I comment my reserve.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by kayalla(f): 9:21am On Dec 19, 2011
Baawaa:

Our government knows we are cowards,so they can do whatever they like.We lack the zeal to fight for our right

we re yet to see suffer, we re too afraid to even say wat we want how much more fight for it.
the same way the more suffering is going to continue nxt yr.
God help us!
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by felifeli: 9:38am On Dec 19, 2011
kayalla:

we re yet to see suffer, we re too afraid to even say wat we want how much more fight for it.
the same way the more suffering is going to continue nxt yr.
God help us!
fellis:

They don't want to die or face any serious bodily injury that can come from protesting.
I wonder how much suffering Nigerians will face before they gather courage and start seriously protesting.
Baawaa:

grin grin grin
And where were the whole lot of you then ? Sitting at home and watching it on TV ? Typical Nigerian attitude. They want other people to die for them to enjoy. grin grin
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by TRUTHTELA: 9:42am On Dec 19, 2011
^^^Lmbo, Every Nigerian want a CHANGE, that he or she will benefit from.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 19, 2011
felifeli:

grin grin grin
And where were the whole lot of you then ? Sitting at home and watching it on TV ? Typical Nigerian attitude. They want other people to die for them to enjoy. grin grin
I don't live in Lagos. . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by RuuDie(m): 10:00am On Dec 19, 2011
@ least they tried. . . . .even if it was half a second protest - way better than 'Onigbinde-ing' in front of Tvs and PCs!

grin
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by snthesis(m): 10:10am On Dec 19, 2011
fellis:

me sef- grin grin grin
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by ugosly(m): 10:20am On Dec 19, 2011
They hav protested,yes,but I dont think They will hav achieved much by mere protest, they should look 4 a way to bring down one or two of those gates,then Fash and T.Baba wil start takin them serious.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 19, 2011
hmm,
nigerians dont have dat spirit,
does dat do arent much.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Ejine(m): 10:37am On Dec 19, 2011
I tire for this big-for-nothing population.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by snthesis(m): 10:40am On Dec 19, 2011
Ejiné:

I tire for this big-for-nothing population.
abeg inspire us, die for us o-
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by scopusng(m): 10:43am On Dec 19, 2011
Foo.ls why r u all complaining.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by mrjingles(m): 10:59am On Dec 19, 2011
has it occurred to anyone of you that there is no real basis for the "protest"? What did they want? No tolls? EVERYBODY knew the road will be tolled even before the first brick was laid and they all kept quiet. After years of construction they are now carrying placards? That shows a lack of seriousness, its just the usual "we no go gree" attitude of Nigerians. If you expect a private company (whoever owns it) to raise commercial funds and build a road then not toll it then you must be loco. FYI Lagos-Ibadan express will be tolled when completed "protester" shd buy stacks of cardboard because there lots of opportunities ahead.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Kx: 11:15am On Dec 19, 2011
[/quote][quote]
fellis:

snthesis:

me sef- grin grin grin

And everything is working perfectly in the part of Nigeria where u live?
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Pain(m): 11:26am On Dec 19, 2011
Keep fooling yourselves that Nigerians can do nothing, The "Okada"/"Achaba" revolution is just around the corner!!
The occupy lekki was not a gathering of "real" Nigerians. Try mingling or profiling the the live and times of the Okada men then you will realize the latent but growing tension that would explode in our faces in the not too distant future.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by 2AMLasgidi: 11:29am On Dec 19, 2011
Why it failed,

1. The Protest and agitation against the toll on the Lekki-Epe Axis  was ill adviced especially by those who has issues with LAGOS State government on political grounds. The Likes of Bode George jumping forward to lead a campaign against Tolling, already this pushed people with genuine issues against the project off the protest. When a masses oriented agitation is reduced to a political weapon it will fall woefully.

2. Most of those who claim to be leading the Protest are insincere, the like of Ebun Olu-Adegboruwa who has been evading tax in Lagos for years and already have a paper served him in that respect.

3. They did not make realistic demand to LCC/LASG. I am of the opinion that the politicians among them blurred their mindset. Ordinarily a responsible demand should included the following
     a. Reduction of the toll price by 50%
     b. reduce toll point to 2 points instead of 3 as currently done.
     c. make the alternative road more accessible by improving the facilities like street light, rid the road of abandonned vehicles and security

If we benchmark it against developed and developing countries in Malaysia you have 6 Toll Gates in a road of about 100km. They pay tax too. Good thing doesn't come cheap. In the UK, you have to pay for a parking slot even in your workplace.

Yoruba have a proverb "Ile ti a ba fi ito mo, eeri lo ma nwo danu" (A house built with saliva will be distroyed by dew)

If LCC/LASG can guarantee regular maintenance of the infrastructure and the road is well looked after, you gotta pay, guys. That's the way it is.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by segunjowo(m): 11:32am On Dec 19, 2011
It's quite unfortunate the drama died just as fast as it started. Reasons?
1. Many residents in the Lekki/Ajah axis are rich. They own their house(s). They can pay the fee demanded at the toll gate. Therefore, they see no reasons to join the protest or even request their children to join.
2. Some residents in the Lekki/Ajah axis lives in a rented apartment, they are average/high income earners. they joined the protest, even with their chicken hearts. they ran to save their lives when confronted with thugs and police!
3. A large number of residents of the area are cowards. they dont want to die young. They cant join the protest. In fact, they just looked on while the protesters were doing their things.
4. The protesters cannot continue the next day, Sunday. They are very religious and need to go to church, pray to God for him to come down and join them in the protest.
5. The protest cannot continue on monday because the residents needs to go to work. If they don't, they will loose their jobs. Their employers will not tolerate nonsense in the name of protest.
6. The protest will not continue. Never. This is christmass period and everybody needs to be careful to see 2012 without any health issues that may arise out of protest in the form of injury, which may lead to death. therefore, let the suffering and smiling continues, lol.
7. The governor visited the place yesterday and appeal for a calm. We are all law abiding. Nobody want to go against the Governors wish. Therefore, the protest will not continue.
8. 'occupy lekki'  = 'occupy aso rock'. It's gonna be a day event. No one wants to die. (by the way, I haven't seen aso rock in pix, why? after all we see white house in pix all the time)

May God Help Nigeria. Suffering and smiling grin
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by RuuDie(m): 11:55am On Dec 19, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

If LCC/LASG can guarantee regular maintenance of the infrastructure and the road is well looked after, you gotta pay, guys. That's the way it is.

This is the koko, it boils down to where all that money ends up. . . . .it all looks 'dodgey' - from the cost of the road, to the terms of the contract, right down to the principal actors. . . . . .looks potentially shady!
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 19, 2011
Kx:

And everything is working perfectly in the part of Nigeria where u live?

Meaning? Please explain your question, thank you.
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by AmAlone: 12:37pm On Dec 19, 2011
Naija I hail OOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by 2AMLasgidi: 12:45pm On Dec 19, 2011
People are payng and infact it is yielding dividends already especially for ladies (The beautiful one oooo) grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Is "Occupy Lekki " Over? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 19, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

People are payng and infact it is yielding dividends already especially for ladies (The beautiful one oooo) grin grin grin grin grin

omo mehn, see positionin.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Onitsha Businesses Look To Aba For South-east Corridor Expansion / Akpabio Misfires, Bombs Igbos / 25 Items Banned From Being Imported Into Nigeria (FULL LIST)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.