Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,094 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:47 AM

How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc (9161 Views)

2nd Niger Bridge: Oshiomhole Must Apologise To Nigerians, Say CSOs / How I Will Spend My Four- Day Stay In America – Buhari / Work On-going At 2nd Niger Bridge (video Proof) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Beaf: 1:49am On Dec 20, 2011
[size=14pt]How we will spend subsidy -FG •To share funds with states, Lgs •FG: N478bn; States: N411bn; LGs N203bn [/size]
Written by Kunle Awosiyan and Hassan Ibrahim Tuesday, 20 December 2011

IT appears that the Federal Government has concluded every plan to go ahead with the removal of oil subsidy next year as it released

a document on how to invest the proceeds from the scheme.

The Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, said at a media parley in Lagos, on Monday, that a Board of Trustees would soon be constituted by President Goodluck Jonathan to comprise persons of proven integrity to oversee the implementation of projects to be funded with the money.

According to him, a robust programme structure has been developed to ensure adequate oversight, accountability and implementation of various projects. He said: “The entire project will be overseen by a board, which will include a member of the media, while consulting firms with international reputation will be appointed to provide technical assistance to the board in financial and project management.”

Maku explained that an independent body would be responsible for monitoring and evaluating the implementation and would report directly to the board.

The document, which has as its title, “Subsidy reinvestment and empowerment programme (SURE programme),” puts the total projected subsidy re-investible funds per annum at N1.134 trillion based on average crude oil price of US$90 per barrel.

Out of this, N478.49 billion is accrued to the Federal Government; N411.03 billion to state governments; N203.23 billion to local governments; N9.86 billion to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and N31.37 billion as transfers to derivation and ecology, development of natural resources and stabilisation.

Maku said while state and local governments were expected to design their own programmes by utilising their portions of the subsidy reinvestment funds, the Federal Government had decided to channel its own share of the resources into a combination of programmes to stimulate the economy and alleviate poverty through critical infrastructure and safety net projects.

The minister stated that to transform the economy in line with the Vision 20:2020 objectives, critical infrastructure projects in the power, roads, transportation, water and downstream petroleum sectors would be executed.

According to him, the projects on road have been divided into various sections, which include East-West sections that comprise the Warri-Kalama (87km); Port Harcourt–Ahoada (47km); Ahoada-Kaima (54km); East-West Road (99km) with all of them put at 338km.

He also spoke on the Abuja-Abaji-Lokoja dual carriageway (200km); Benin-Ore-Sagamu dual carriageway (295km); Onitsha-Enugu-Port Harcourt dual carriageway (317 km); Kano-Maiduguri dual carriageway (510km); construction of Oweto Bridge (2km); construction of 2nd Niger Bridge (2km), totalling 1,326km.

On railway projects, Maku mentioned the Lagos-Ibadan Standard Gauge (dual) (174km); Abuja-Kaduna Standard Gauge (187km); Port Harcourt-Umuahia-Enugu-Markurdi-Lafia-Kuru-Kafancahan-Jos-Bauchi-Gombe-Maiduguri (2, 119km); Zaria-Funtua-Gusau-Kaura Namoda (221km); Lagos-Ibadan-Ilorin-Jebba-Minna-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano (1,124km) and Abuja light rail project (52km, all put at 3,877km.

While reiterating the commitment of the government to accountably fund the projects, the minister added that every component of the national developmental programme to be financed from the subsidy’s proceeds would be implemented in the next three to four years.

On power, Maku said that the target of the Federal Government was to improve generation capacity through hydro and coal power plants.

According to him, the programme would provide counterpart funding for the construction of the large Mambilla hydropower project that would generate additional 2,600 Megawatts of electric power.

It would also provide funding to complete a total of 17 small and medium hydroelectric power projects with a cumulative capacity of 14.275 Megawatts, while a counterpart funding for Public Private Partnership would also be available to develop coal power projects in Enugu, Benue, Kogi and Gombe with a potential to generate 1,000 Megawatts of power.

In the area of petroleum and NNPC projects, the minister said that the main objective of the government was to restore and improve domestic refining capacity and prevent shortfalls in supply of petroleum products.

According to him, three new refineries would be built under a counterpart funding arrangement with private sector in Bayelsa State (100, 000 barrels per day); Kogi (100, 000 barrels per day) and Lagos State (200, 000 barrels per day).

On health, the Federal Government would be targeting the maternal and child health services with the specific objective of increasing the utilisation by rural population through demand and supply interventions.

Maku said that the potential beneficiaries targeted by the programme were the three million pregnant women per annum and 12 million over the course of the programme, representing an average of 50 per cent of the estimated number of pregnant women in the country.

. . .

More here:

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/33077-how-we-will-spend-subsidy-fg-to-share-funds-with-states-lgs-fg-n478bn-states-n411bn-lgs-n203bn
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Onlytruth(m): 2:03am On Dec 20, 2011
Fuel subsidy needs to go because it is a sinkhole and bottomless pit of corruption. The less the federal government is involved in the money from our oil resources, the better for us.
This board to be constituted many be from political affiliates of the president for now, but that would certainly change in the future. The first step is always the hardest.
Who knows, maybe sometime in the future, after cleaning up the sector, a form of assistance may be accorded to the masses if hardship increases, but the current system is simply not sustainable.
At least we can hold the members of this new board accountable if we smell a rat.  cool
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by koruji(m): 2:31am On Dec 20, 2011
Agreed, fuel subsidy is a sinkhole, but the worst thing you can do is take the subsidy away, punishing both the masses and those corrupt officials at NNPC, and then pour it into a bigger sinkhole.

Even if all these plans are well-intentioned and honest they still fail woefully. Simple illustration: You cannot raise the price of bread that I am eating today, claiming it is for my benefit since you plan to buy new land, plant wheat, construct a new flour-making factory and a new bakery.

It doesn't work because:

1. Your plans have no direct bearing on my need for bread "TODAY" - the problem I have is that your new price is higher than I am used to not how you come about producing bread.
2. It is untimely - I starve to death by the time your wheat is grown, and all that nonsense.
3. Everything that can go wrong will go wrong with all those plans - think Ajaokuta 30-40 years later.

And that is assuming that GEJ is being honest Abe. In reality, this government is being too clever by half.

It is not as if removal of subsidies have not being done before - but this is not how it is done.

When you do something the way it is not supposed to be done, expect the unexpected result.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Onlytruth(m): 2:51am On Dec 20, 2011
koruji:

Agreed, fuel subsidy is a sinkhole, but the worst thing you can do is take the subsidy away, punishing both the masses and those corrupt officials at NNPC, and then pour it into a bigger sinkhole.

Even if all these plans are well-intentioned and honest they still fail woefully. [/b]Simple illustration: You cannot raise the price of bread that I am eating today, claiming it is for my benefit since you plan to buy new land, plant wheat, construct a new flour-making factory and a new bakery.

It doesn't work because:

1. Your plans have no direct bearing on my need for bread "TODAY" - the problem I have is that your new price is higher than I am used to not how you come about producing bread.
2. It is untimely - I starve to death by the time your wheat is grown, and all that nonsense.
3. [b]Everything that can go wrong will go wrong with all those plans - think Ajaokuta 30-40 years later.

And that is assuming that GEJ is being honest Abe. In reality, this government is being too clever by half.

It is not as if removal of subsidies have not being done before - but this is not how it is done.

When you do something the way it is not supposed to be done, expect the unexpected result.

You raised some serious points, and I must admit I'm scratching my head. embarassed cry
But, the current system is still not sustainable.
Why can't they just drag oil thieves to jail then? Well, I have to answer myself: it is not possible in Nigeria's current political structure.
Subsidy removal may be one hard pill that may help.
Let's keep discussing this. cool
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by sheyguy: 3:13am On Dec 20, 2011
I will suggest They reverse subsidy scam by going back to da days of N200b/year of subsidy payment. While d above has bin achieved, they should target building of refineries to create job and save cost 4 9ja at large, even if it means setting fund/loan facilities for prospective refinery owner to access. The govt can even own part of these co. shares by reason of the above.
We currently refine less than 500,000 barrel of our 2.4million barrel/day. If total refining of oil locally is achieved then they must av increased oil industry efficency by abt 6 - 8 times its current state.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by dayokanu(m): 3:18am On Dec 20, 2011
Wouldnt it be easy to haul those corrupt middlemen to jail than remove the subsidy itself?

In the US they have govt Agricultural subsidies to now remove it because there are some corrupt middlemen?

Like Koruji said, that was the same way the govt in 1975 promised us heaven when Ajaokuta is completed,

Wasnt that the way OBJ promised us heaven on earth once we do a Turn Around Maintenance of refineries, the subsidies are removed and we increase pump prices

Wasnt that the way OBJ told us they were spending 16b on power projects? 5 yrs after OBJ rule still darkness

Wasnt that the way IBB told us we should suffer for a little while under SAP to enjoy later

Wasnt that the same way Retardeen told us it was fresh air and not Govt as usual yet haul 150ppl for CHOGM?

They have fooled us before we refused to be fooled again

No to subsidy removal
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Nobody: 3:29am On Dec 20, 2011
hahaha, see paper work built on falsehood.

about 500billion was budgeted for the oil subsidy last year and through daman miracle, the money doubled.

even when oil prices were as high as $140/barrel, annual budget subsidy didn't get up to a billion like it did in 2011.

even for 8yrs under OBJ, amount of subsidy didn't get up to a billion in a single year.

Now GEJ wants to justify his plans by claiming subsidy rose up to 1.3billion in 10months and the same savings with be shared amongst the already corrupt Governors who would become customers of EFCC upon conclusion of their term in office.

Local government chairmen that are just figure head criminals would also be given money abi?

i laugh.

what if the amount of subsidy is not even as high as 1.3billion, what would we have actually saved in all honesty?

we should keep deceiving ourselves
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by koruji(m): 4:13am On Dec 20, 2011
This dishonest approach to removing the subsidy will produce results worse than leaving it alone.

As I have said here once before, [size=14pt]even ABACHA, with his down-right COULD-CARE-LESS-ATTITUDE, could not force a pernicious, almost wicked, removal of subsidies down the throat of Nigerians[/size] - talkless of a weak government like GEJs. It is like someone needs to throw a book of Nigerian history at our Presidents and force their nose into it for a couple of months before they start making policy decisions.

Some people are goading GEJ on, but as much I am not a fan of OBJ he has being warning GEJ to refrain from this subsidy issue.

The real problem we have is that our leaders are [size=14pt]LAZY BLOKES[/size] - our people are not dumb, they will respond when an honest, people-caring effort is made on this subsidy issue.

Until then, it doesn't take a soothsayer to tell where this will end up.

Onlytruth:

You raised some serious points, and I must admit I'm scratching my head.  embarassed  cry
But, the current system is still not sustainable.
Why can't they just drag oil thieves to jail then? Well, I have to answer myself: it is not possible in Nigeria's current political structure.
Subsidy removal may be one hard pill that may help.
Let's keep discussing this.  cool
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Kobojunkie: 4:53am On Dec 20, 2011
Interesting, so what portion of the money then goes to providing direct subsidies to the people as initially promised by the Administration, or was that all talk?
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by homerac7: 5:26am On Dec 20, 2011
This is a perfect description of a slush fund.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by jamace(m): 6:00am On Dec 20, 2011
The Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, said at a media parley in Lagos, on Monday, that a Board of Trustees would soon be constituted by President Goodluck Jonathan to comprise persons of proven integrity to oversee the implementation of projects to be funded with the money.

Why can't GEJ appoint a board of trustees of persons of proven integrity to oversee the resuscitation of the existing refineries in the country so that the they can produce at 75% capacity for a start.?
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Nobody: 6:15am On Dec 20, 2011
F
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Nobody: 6:24am On Dec 20, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-825023.0.html

this government and its nl spokespersons must think we are all idiots with attention deficit disorder

For the needed transparency, the board in liaison with the ministry of Finance and ministry of Petroleum Resources would determine the subsidy savings estimates for each preceding month and ensure that such funds are transferred to the funds’ special account with the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN. In the area of power, which has posed an intractable challenge to successive governments, and into which huge national resources have been sunk, the Jonathan government, has under the proposed zero-subsidy regime, laid out plans to further drive the power sector reforms by improving the generation capacity, not just through hydro, but with coal power plants. The SURE programme is also billed to make available, adequate counterpart funding for a fast-tracked construction of the stymied Mambilla hydro-power project, a colossal power plant which will generate an additional 2,600 megawatts of electric power. The SURE programme will also effectively provide funding that would lead to the completion of a total of 17 small and medium hydroelectric power projects, conceived by the Jonathan government with a cumulative capacity of 140.275 megawatts.

These small-scale power projects would be uniquely adapted to stimulate and sustain all year round agriculture, within the projects’ domains. As the SURE programme document states, “given the small size of these projects, they will be isolated and embedded in agricultural development economic corridors, which will contribute to enhancing the agricultural value chains for increased production, in line with the transformation agenda.”
Also remarkable is the fact that the 17 small and medium scale power plants are conceived with an eye on quick wins—they would require a short turn-around time by their brief nature-such that they can be delivered in good time within the first three years of the SURE programme.

last week it was mambilla power project, today it is lagos refinery

meanwhile the same fg was telling us that we would get new refineries in 24 months and that we were signing a deal with china

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-732819.0.html

Minister of Petroleum Resources Mrs Diezani Allison-Madueke stated further that with a 24-month mandate to fix the old refineries, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has already embarked on consultation to ensure that the TAM takes off next year, which is expected to take off with Port Harcourt refinery.

“The nation’s refining capacity would receive significant boost in the next three years, with the coming up three new refineries and the TAM of the traditional refineries, which is now being handled by the companies that first built them to ensure that this time the facilities will actually give us the result that we desire in this country and take us to 95 per cent capacity utilization in all our traditional refineries.”

The Group Managing Director of NNPC, Austen Oniwon said: “We have given ourselves 24 months to raise the three refineries, we are starting with Port Harcourt refinery, and we have engaged JDP of Japan, which is partnering with Tecnimont of Italy and they are presently in talks, with the hope that by the third quarter of next year they will move into Port Harcourt refinery and commence rehabilitation. It is not just the Turn Around Maintenance; it is the full rehabilitation of the refineries.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-445908.0.html

Nigeria's state-run oil firm NNPC and China State Construction Engineering Corporation (CSCEC) have signed a $23bn (£16bn; 18bn euros) deal.

The two will jointly seek financing and credits from Chinese authorities and banks to build three refineries and a fuel complex in Nigeria.

The project would add 750,000 barrels per day of extra refining capacity.

NNPC hopes the construction of new refineries will stem the flood of imported refined products into Nigeria.

'Deepen relationships'

Nigeria is the world's 12th-largest oil producer and the eighth-largest oil exporter.

But the country imports roughly 85% of its fuel needs because of the disrepair and mismanagement of its four state-owned refineries.

"We are about to deepen the existing technical and commercial relationships between China and Nigeria through the signing of a memorandum of understanding," said Shehu Ladan, head of NNPC.

The three refineries will be built in Bayelsa, Kogi and Lagos states, while a location has to be confirmed for the petrochemicals complex.

The Nigerian government has said that foreign companies must invest in developing Nigeria's infrastructure and economy first, before they can benefit from its oil and gas exports

so what can we believe in the end? for all we know, the government has already entered into a deal to build refineries with china an still wants to make a killing off nigerians - get refining capacity and still kill the subsidy.

this government cannot be trusetd.

a different story every day

note that the gej administration is cunningly passing all these fables through non governmental third parties so that they will be able to deny ever making any of these commitments
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Nobody: 6:26am On Dec 20, 2011
9jaganja:

Lagos doesn't need a refinery in Lagos; she needs one close to her!!! Geezz help one of those dying states at least damn!!!!!

Who are those thinking for this administration? Lagos can survive alone without anymore aid from FG. Let Lagos have her port and go build a refinery in Ekiti state, Ebonyi, Zamfara or even make Kwara better developed by putting a refinery in say oro, Omu Aran, Offa, Ajase Ipo or something. Lagos doesn't need anything from FG! and this is coming from an Awori!!!

Lagos is already polluted as it is a refinery in Lagos will worsen situation seriously and don't even mention putting a refinery in Badagry, Help a dying state out seriously Ebonyi is nothing to write home about, Ekiti people are surviving on traditional modes of trade and businesses which the government can't even venture in to generate revenue as that will be chaotic!!!

Seriously, this government is clueless, If I were GEJ, I'll fire all advisers and use think tanks instead. There are think tank agencies working all over Africa and are actually doing litt

probably more cunny cunny from the fg . an oil company already has plans laid down for a refinery in lekki free trade zone. feasibility studies, area has been allocated, the whole shebang.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by beafroast: 6:38am On Dec 20, 2011
They can fool some people some time but they cannot fool all the people all the time .
Beaf and him masters make una well done o!
[i]Abi na today we don dey see mallam with bow and arrow?![/i]
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by az77zy(m): 7:12am On Dec 20, 2011
They say the southerners are more educated and intelligent than the northerners but alas the most blockheaded dullard to rule nigeria so far is a southerner in the person of Gej. This gej is a total disgrace to we niger deltans with respect to the issues about subsidy removal. All what he is saying so far shows he is clueless and lacks intellectual capacity to do the right thing. Cant this man just think for once that we are not suppose to be importing fuel and that even if subsidy must go we must have refineries in place to meet our local demand for fuel and even export the excess. This will create jobs and boost the economy. Sharing money to visionless leaders is gross waste. Right now nigeria is negotiating with niger one of poorest country in Africa so that we can be importing fuel from them. This is a natiönal shame. We must stop been cowards and rise up to resist the subsidy removal. This is all fraud.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Kobojunkie: 7:18am On Dec 20, 2011
I'd rather we import fuel, crush the cabal that has hijacked fuel subsidy, and still pay less at the pumps. We have already beaten this refineries 'horse' a couple too many times, each time ending with not much of an improvement to the situation, and billions of naira lost down the Nigerian drain.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by az77zy(m): 7:29am On Dec 20, 2011
That is because the cabals dont want the refineries to work. It is only in nigeria refineries can't work because certain people don't want refineries. Come to think of it with more refineries in place there wil be more jobs both directly and indirectly and with the surplus fuel we can then allow market prices to take control. Bros there is no subsidy they just want to extort money from the masses by increasing fuel price
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Chubhie: 7:48am On Dec 20, 2011
Naija seems to me like the more you look, the less you understand. This democracy methinks is too costly. Before the money that gets shared gets down to what it's been meant for, it must have passed through so many hands hence by the time it gets to where the work is needed it becomes useless. The way the Nigerian system is configured can only breed corruption. Everybody that gets there always comes with a good intention. Jona is dazed n confused cos of the reality on ground. Bro gats to play now. Dnt blame jona blame the system.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Kobojunkie: 7:56am On Dec 20, 2011
az77zy:

That is because the cabals dont want the refineries to work. It is only in nigeria refineries can't work because certain people don't want refineries. Come to think of it with more refineries in place there wil be more jobs both directly and indirectly and with the surplus fuel we can then allow market prices to take control. Bros there is no subsidy they just want to extort money from the masses by increasing fuel price

It is probably a good time for you to start re-thinking a lot of the nonsense you have swallowed up over the years. How exactly do you think a cabal, any cabal, can hinder a sitting President from using his power to get work done? There are a couple of days left in 2011. Might be a good time for you to spend some time investigating the real reasons why our refineries are not working as they are supposed to. Because what continues to elude you is quite obvious to the rest of the world. The only cabal that exists is the one your leaders continue to allow.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by adamabdul: 7:59am On Dec 20, 2011
Maiduguri-kano road is almost complete.Why is another contract going to be awarded?
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by az77zy(m): 8:17am On Dec 20, 2011
Kobo i agree with u dat d only cabal that exist is the one our leaders allows. The comatose refineries we have nw were built during the military regimes so why is it that no civilian government has ever built a refinery. ? In d niger delta regions d locals knw hw 2 built crude refinery for illegal activies which in itself shows that building standard refineries is not rocket science so why are they not building more?. Nigeria is about to importing electricity from Ghana. What does that tells you after considering the resources of this country.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by kokoA(m): 8:21am On Dec 20, 2011
@ Post

Singin 2Face Idibia: E be like say dem want to start anoda decieving again oooo, e belike say dem want to knack anoda story again oooo. . . . . . I dedicate dis one to all of d shoddy polithiefcians, . . why don't u change ur ways, change ur ways now

grin grin grin grin
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Kobojunkie: 8:54am On Dec 20, 2011
az77zy:

Kobo i agree with u dat d only cabal that exist is the one our leaders allows. The comatose refineries we have nw were built during the military regimes so why is it that no civilian government has ever built a refinery. ? In d niger delta regions d locals knw hw 2 built crude refinery for illegal activies which in itself shows that building standard refineries is not rocket science so why are they not building more?. Nigeria is about to importing electricity from Ghana. What does that tells you after considering the resources of this country.

It's never been a mystery why no civilian government has built a refinery to date. Obasanjo had a chance to at least update the existing refineries to full capacity. Yaradua also did, I mean he did try but I doubt he was committed. Jonathan. . . well, more and more it seems the man does want to invest in about getting existing refineries working at greater capacity. In my opinion, that ought to have been one of his first moves when the subsidy issue began more than 6 months ago.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by 1025: 9:05am On Dec 20, 2011
if any man believes this story, his or her brain needs to be re-examined. what is the cost of building a refinery that jonathan cannot afford? how on earth is it possible for governors to have their own refineries yet a country as rich as nigeria cannot afford it? nigeria does not have an airline, no refinery, no good roads, no quality education, no medical facilities, no security and no true leaders.
instead of giving us steady power supply and then increase the tariff, jonathan rather increased the tariff with the promise of improving the supply later and we agreed to that.
why not fix refineries and no fuel subsidy will die a natural death since we will only produce it locally rather than preaching us into accepting mass hardship and improving the lives of the already improved criminals in power.
jonathan knows that a cabal is in charge or responsible for the subsidy frauds yet he can't do anything to the cabal. what is the guarantee that the same cabal will not come back tomorrow to double the new price rate to 300 per litre?
jonathan is aware that nigeria is running the most expensive democracy in the world yet, he can't do anything.
records has it that 74% of our total income is used in paying jonathan and his cabinet leaving the total population of nigerians with 26% which is not even in safe hands.
it is a shame that those who call themselves human beings can only reason like goats.
if this govt succeeds in removing this fuel subsidy and nothing happens, it means God has no interest in this jungle called nigeria.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by wesley80(m): 9:30am On Dec 20, 2011
This surely isnt convincing enough and I totally believe Iweala's economic team can and SHOULD do much better if they are to win this debate, only the most optimistic and already predisposed would be swayed by this.
Did I read about the EAST - WEST road in that piece? The Frigging East - West road? Good lawd! Wasnt that supposed to be delivered at the end of 2013? Havent we already spent enough billions on it to deliver the project? Why is this being pointed to as a benefit of subsidy removal? Are we talking about this same road or another;
sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/aug/11/national-11-08-2011-008.html

Surely those were not the 'greenfield refineries' mentioned were they? So this was the big friggin plan? SMH
And how does these rail/road/rubbish projects compensate a man (already scrounging) whose cost of living is about to rise by %50? It would eventually? Now that's BS escapist Voodoo / trickle down economics that would eventually shackle even more people, surely asking for some immediate gratification isnt out of place. And what could be more escapist than listing of figures to be 'shared' between the LG's and states? Are these guys these stuupid? Isnt this whole mess about govt's incompetence in the first place? Why dig up a hole to fill up another hole for God's sake. These people do not seem to appreciate the scale of the sacrifice they are demanding Nigerians make, if this is about making life better why not engage the states and LG's and come up with a concrete blueprint that cuts across all levels? Why draw up yours and be prepared to throw the rest to the gluttonous dogs at the state and LG's? Isnt this serious enough to warrant a law that would compel all levels of govt to be prudent in the mgt of expected savings? Do these guys realize its our collective a$$es on the line here? One wrong move and this whole country implodes but our Harvard trained genius seems far too hopelessly and irredeemably in love wit statistics to realize the issue isnt GDP, NI, GNP, BNP or BS but people, People and PEOPLE. This is totally embarrassing.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by AZeD1(m): 9:47am On Dec 20, 2011
GEJ is looking for funding for 2015 elections. Same Government that cannot handle payment of subsides wants to handle so many projects? i laugh in pidgin.

It seems GEJ wants to give the cabal(Dangote, Otedola and co) the petroleum market unhindered while the savings from subsidy would be used to settle awon boys.
By the way, if this is what they want to use savings from subsidy for, then what are the capital projects in the budget??
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Yeske2(m): 10:35am On Dec 20, 2011
Same old promises when they want to increase the price of fuel or remove the subsidy as is the case now only to renege on the same promises after it is done. Liars
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Gbawe: 10:43am On Dec 20, 2011
az77zy:

My guy, the Presidency of the day is always part and parcel of what we see going on. Remember that OBJ even made himself Petroleum Minister while President . Yar Adua had his own 'tool' in charge of the sector and now GEJ too has Allison-Madueke as his own maid to milk the cash cow. Ask yourself, why did the FG assume the right to issue licences to oil marketers in 2009 thus joining the NNPC as the only authorities empowered to do so?

Some major marketers (eg Otedola) could always, in conspiracy with the NNPC, over-invoice to raise 'a war chest' for a specific purpose (GEJ's election ambition for example) but the "independent" marketers are the main problem IMO. They are, in collusion with the NNPC, probably the main 'scam element' of the whole subsidy saga because many are fronts for the Government of the day and may actually be importing nada .

Now, find out how many "independent" marketers , including many with no prior involvement in the oil sector, came on board under Yar Adua and GEJ. It would then only be a fool who will think Yar Adua and GEJ had no knowledge of what was going on considering that , in reality, every President always directly or indirectly exercise very tight control over the oil sector as the ultimate cash cow.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by otokx(m): 10:51am On Dec 20, 2011
This is just a smokescreen
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Bawss1(m): 10:54am On Dec 20, 2011
wesley80:

This surely isnt convincing enough and I totally believe Iweala's economic team can and SHOULD do much better if they are to win this debate, only the most optimistic and already predisposed would be swayed by this.
Did I read about the EAST - WEST road in that piece? The Frigging East - West road? Good lawd! Wasnt that supposed to be delivered at the end of 2013? Havent we already spent enough billions on it to deliver the project? Why is this being pointed to as a benefit of subsidy removal? Are we talking about this same road or another;
sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/aug/11/national-11-08-2011-008.html

Surely those were not the 'greenfield refineries' mentioned were they? So this was the big friggin plan? SMH
And how does these rail/road/rubbish projects compensate a man (already scrounging) whose cost of living is about to rise by %50? It would eventually? Now that's BS escapist Voodoo / trickle down economics that would eventually shackle even more people, surely asking for some immediate gratification  isnt out of place. And what could be more escapist than listing of figures to be 'shared' between the LG's and states? Are these guys these stuupid? Isnt this whole mess about govt's incompetence in the first place? Why dig up a hole to fill up another hole for God's sake. These people do not seem to appreciate the scale of the sacrifice they are demanding Nigerians make, if this is about making life better why not engage the states and LG's and come up with a concrete blueprint that cuts across all levels? Why draw up yours and be prepared to throw the rest to the gluttonous dogs at the state and LG's? Isnt this serious enough to warrant a law that would compel all levels of govt to be prudent in the mgt of expected savings? Do these guys realize its our collective a$$es on the line here? One wrong move and this whole country implodes but our Harvard trained genius seems far too hopelessly and irredeemably in love wit statistics to realize the issue isnt GDP, NI, GNP, BNP or BS but people, People and PEOPLE. This is totally embarrassing.   

Did somebody steal Wesley80's ID and password to post this? I never thought I'd see the day when you'd call the GEJ govt to question.  shocked grin
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 20, 2011
Bawss1:

Did somebody steal Wesley80's ID and password to post this? I never thought I'd see the day when you'd call the GEJ govt to question.  shocked grin

just some gej dunces trying to appear literate by imitating their betters tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

June 12 Presidential Election Is Fiction – Tofa / PHOTO: First Female Governor In Nigeria Emerges / NLC Denies Requesting For Saraki's Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.