Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? (6866 Views)

What Profession Do You Think,suits An Introverted Guy? / What Profession Do You Find Sexiest? / Which Profession Stands Out In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by deandavid(m): 8:53am On Dec 22, 2011
i believe,america,japan,india,isreal,iraq and other countries doin better than nigeria (with all the natural) owe their development to its govt,but mainly its people,that are determined.their scientist,engineers,programmers,economist and other professional bodies in those countries played a major role. In Nigeria,i think some professions has tried even when d govt has nt been up nd doing,like the medical professionals, the musicians,the pry school teachers and the farmers, these people are doing their jobs.but i think the prefession that have failed most is the Nigerian ENGINEERS.they are not being felt anywhere.if am not correct.give ur opinion nd reason.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 9:33am On Dec 22, 2011
Governance, period.
Failure of governance has crippled everything else.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by deandavid(m): 10:02am On Dec 22, 2011
yes government,but have these professional done about it.even in d face of govt failure,some professions r still doing sometins.r these gov,senators nd all of dem nt human beings,r dy nt our relatives.wat hav we done abt it,hav u advice ur governor uncle 2 govern well,or senate well.it falls back to us,d pple.stil sum persons r doing well in their area of xpertise.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 12:03pm On Dec 22, 2011
deandavid:

yes government,but have these professional done about it.even in d face of govt failure,some professions r still doing sometins.r these gov,senators nd all of dem nt human beings,r dy nt our relatives.wat hav we done abt it,hav u advice your governor uncle 2 govern well,or senate well.it falls back to us,d pple.stil sum persons r doing well in their area of xpertise.

My uncle is not in government bros. Even if he was, he would not listen to me, since he's older. African culture at work.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 22, 2011
Nigerian engineers are failures.Those people are just engineer do nothing.Everything under construction and of high value is done by foreignersin Nigeria.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by stagger: 2:25pm On Dec 22, 2011
olas2u:

Nigerian engineers are failures.Those people are just engineer do nothing.Everything under construction and of high value is done by foreignersin Nigeria.

When your government is giving all the contracts to CCECC, what do you expect?
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by 27naira(m): 2:26pm On Dec 22, 2011
There are professional and highly placed engineers of Nigerian extract everywhere in the world. However, Nigeria has always been a victim of brain-drain because of our domestic policies that does not support innovations and appropriate incentives.

I don't believe any profession other than "Teachers" have failed Nigerians.

When the teachers pull the carpet off of our feet, everyone falls.

1 Like

Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 2:27pm On Dec 22, 2011
olas2u:

Agreed.
Also, Nigerian doctors, lawyers, accountants, bankers. Even teachers, lecturers, artists, and clergymen.
A failed father can only beget failed children.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by buzor(m): 2:30pm On Dec 22, 2011
a country that has no electricity, tell me how engineering will survive. now we have likes of innoson manufacturing cars but our govt still import cars. so who do we blame; nigerian engineers or govt?

1 Like

Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 22, 2011
stagger:

Are the people in Government not Nigerians,something is wrong some where,even lebanese ,and Arabs are doing a lot of construction in Nigeria,something is wrong with does people.The enginners are  not helping the country but foreigners.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by SapeleGuy: 2:33pm On Dec 22, 2011
Dat one no hard. Nah Local Government - dem carry 0 out of 10.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by iice(f): 2:33pm On Dec 22, 2011
Teachers.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by softelng(m): 2:37pm On Dec 22, 2011
i believe,america,japan,india,isreal,iraq and other countries doin better than nigeria (with all the natural) owe their development to its govt,but mainly its people,that are determined.their scientist,engineers,programmers,economist and other professional bodies in those countries played a major role. In Nigeria,i think some professions has tried even when d govt has nt been up nd doing,like the medical professionals, the musicians,the pry school teachers and the farmers, these people are doing their jobs.but i think the prefession that have failed most is the Nigerian ENGINEERS.they are not being felt anywhere.if am not correct.give your opinion nd reason

I think over reliance on foreign expertise is the cause of this problem.   expatriate  this   expatriate  that blah blah blah.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by IbroSaunks(m): 2:47pm On Dec 22, 2011
police!!! grin grin
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Ndkings1(m): 2:51pm On Dec 22, 2011
Cock dealers
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by maki(f): 2:51pm On Dec 22, 2011
when i saw this topic before clicking on the page to open, i said to myself it must be the engineers.
not because they dont know what they r doing but because of bad government who is not kin in giving the nigerian engineers chance to perform witout bringing in foreigners.
e.g
minsters of works
ministers of power & steel
ministers of petroluem

many more places where they r suppose to perform,

this is just my opinion, dont crucify me

1 Like

Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by ortopazz(m): 2:54pm On Dec 22, 2011
Engineerz,

PASTORZ r increasing,

policemen
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 22, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Governance, period.
Failure of governance has crippled everything else.
Finish!
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by kafero(m): 2:56pm On Dec 22, 2011
Our Politicians period!
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by ortopazz(m): 2:57pm On Dec 22, 2011
Scientist, I tire 4 them.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by VoodooDoll(m): 3:01pm On Dec 22, 2011
Accountants and accountancy is the profession that is failing.

When the people who count the money cannot be counted on to honestly count the money, then corruption prevails.

No accountant has seen fit to whistle blow in NNPC, Ministry of Finance, BPE, Ministry of Works etc.

Accountants that do report funny stuff are then reprimanded by more senior accountants.

Accountants are the profession that has failed Nigeria.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Maykelly(f): 3:15pm On Dec 22, 2011
[size=20pt]Politics and politicians, Nigerian Government and the evil people who make evil laws are all failling and have failed in all areas of human endervour.[/size]
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 22, 2011
ENGINEERS
period!
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 3:45pm On Dec 22, 2011
Civil Engineering thread VS Nigerian Roads = dogo turanchi, cracks me up all the time

Then they will blame govt,

Atkins Engineering: Look, that road cant be built for 40billion, if you want your cut you better pay 55B and add you own cut thats your problem
Ada Abu Engineering: Ahh Shairman bring the 20billion like that we will see what we can do, we go give you your cut inside am
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Kolababa: 3:46pm On Dec 22, 2011
To me, is CLERGY.
Pastors are not preaching eternal life again. Na materialism and prosperity them they preach. They preach that "man is not created to be poor". So everybody must look for money by all means.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by omoeso(m): 4:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
I believe d worst of them all are d Enginners. I don't blame the government using the foreigners for every little construction. The civil enginners are even more pathetic. They just love cutting corners and delivering a terrible work all in the name of maximizing profit. Was at Magodo some few weeks ago to inspect a newly built duplex with a client, you need see the finishing of the house, Horrible! Yet the property goes for 65million and we were made to believe it was built by a well known civil expert. Big SHAME!!!
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 22, 2011
iice:

Teachers.

You are so so correct! Let me add whoever is involved in Education in general. Many don't even have the passion for it.
Check out the graduates the country rolls out these days, even my mother's peers that never saw the four walls of a university speak and write better English than them.
The Nigerian system is to cram, cram, cram, they don't tell you to apply critical thinking and encourage you to challenge your mind. It's a matter of this is what it is, and never why should it be this way and how did you come about it.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by lexicon(m): 4:21pm On Dec 22, 2011
Henry46:

ENGINEERS
period!

How about MEDICAL ?
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by dipo1: 4:40pm On Dec 22, 2011
I'ld say engineering too. Our universities have turned to business centers where people pay to come out with good grades. And there is limited avenue for graduates to be interns and gain the work experience vital for them to be well-grounded. These days you need to go study outside to be a true professional.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 5:05pm On Dec 22, 2011
stagger:

Nigerian Engineers cant bring their own money, these CCECC dudes are the ones bringing almost everything, the finance, the design, everrything
Very few nigerian firms can put forward money and a tight contract to see a project through, na so so mobilization fee, then they scram under 'poor funding' or raining season you'd think rain no dey fall for malaysia
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by ziccoit: 5:15pm On Dec 22, 2011
I think it has to do with our system of education. We need general overhauling of our curriculum. The medical school training like some others the @poster mentioned is tailor towards what is obtainable in our environment. You can not graduate if you don't lay greater emphasis on this. Engineering courses are mostly all about bookish theories with total disregard to Nigeria environment.
Doctors improvise treatment materials from things ranging from bread polythene bag to ragolis water container. A teacher makes teaching materials from things we usually refer to as craps. It is all about our educational system and this is where the government comes in.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by igbo2011(m): 5:18pm On Dec 22, 2011
Engineers cannot do anything without power. The government needs to do the BASICS. In Uganda hey are making electric cars. Nigerians can do the same thing but we need POWER!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Healthy Is Office Romance? / I Want To Become A Clearing Agent / Top 7 Mistakes African Freelance Graphic Designers Make.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.