Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) (11423 Views)

Poll: Are you in support of male circumcision? Would you circumcise?

Yes: 91% (142 votes)
No: 8% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Woman Delivers Baby Boy In Tricycle [photos] / Is It A Must To Circumcise Your Baby Boy? / Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by walcolm(m): 11:42am On Oct 05, 2007
@seun

if one story that is probably not a true life story (i agree most of the scenarios happen in Jewish communities where the wife is non Jew) is what you have read and you have already made a decision that will deeply impact your unborn sons, then it's a shame.

i dont care about longstanding traditions or religious beliefs influencing a decision. i care more about the proven and documented health advantages of the procedure! heck, the people trying to make a case against male cirucmcision are only talking about the effect it has on the level of orgasm experienced by men and they dont even have clear-cut data to show that a circumcised male enjoys a lower degree of orgasm when compared to an uncircumcised male

for the record, a baby feels less pain and heals faster than an adult because the baby is still growing rapidly! nerve endings, organs, tissues etc are all still growing between 0 days - 365 days and probbly more. a baby cannot even break a bone!!! you know why? cause the bones are soft and still growing. so all the talk of the pain the baby will feel is not enough reason to not circumcise a baby

if you say you want to leave the decision to your sons and it ever becomes medical necessary for them to do it, you would have contributed to causing them more pain (the actual procedure pain you wanted to avoid and that of the medical condition that necesitated the procedure as a medical remedy)

finally, the world has a population of about 6.6billion, active muslims account for over 1.1billion people, active orthodox & protestant christians who also believe in circumcision account for about 2 billion, so where did the data of 3:1 ratio of uncircumcised to circumcised males come from?

so, if for long term health reasons, you plan to subject your unborn sons to vaccinations and other preventive health procedures, you might as well go the whole length because, even though circumcision started out as a religious practise, it has been found to actually have more health basis than religious basis and is presently classified as a preventive health procedure
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by Bblak(f): 11:59am On Oct 05, 2007
Circumcision is a neccessity especially for a male child. lipsrsealed
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by JustGood(m): 12:15pm On Oct 05, 2007
Many oyinbo men that I know who have atoto (foreskinned penis) generally conceed that it is better to be circumcised.
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by finemocha(f): 2:37pm On Oct 05, 2007
circumcision

is a rather very simple procedure, u only get deformation either if the person is prone to keloids which i have never seen or the doctor is utterly useless and doesnt stich it up properly. also mothers of circumcised boys should clean it every morning adn night to ensure that the raw flesh does not attach to the shaft of the penis (full stop)
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by FufuKing1(m): 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2007
Mongue:

I'm amazed at how people are so shocked by someone being anti circumsion.

My privates is fully intact and I am very happy to have it that way, I don't cut any other parts of my body off so why should anyone mess with the most important one!!! It was put there for a reason, let it STAY!!
I'm amazed as well. I applaud you for standing up and standing for what is right. Bodily integrity is everyone's god-given right.
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by FufuKing1(m): 3:38pm On Oct 05, 2007
walcolm:

@seun

if one story that is probably not a true life story (i agree most of the scenarios happen in Jewish communities where the wife is non Jew) is what you have read and you have already made a decision that will deeply impact your unborn sons, then it's a shame.

i don't care about longstanding traditions or religious beliefs influencing a decision. i care more about the proven and documented health advantages of the procedure! heck, the people trying to make a case against male cirucmcision are only talking about the effect it has on the level of orgasm experienced by men and they don't even have clear-cut data to show that a circumcised male enjoys a lower degree of orgasm when compared to an uncircumcised male

for the record, a baby feels less pain and heals faster than an adult because the baby is still growing rapidly! nerve endings, organs, tissues etc are all still growing between 0 days - 365 days and probbly more. a baby cannot even break a bone!!! you know why? cause the bones are soft and still growing. so all the talk of the pain the baby will feel is not enough reason to not circumcise a baby

if you say you want to leave the decision to your sons and it ever becomes medical necessary for them to do it, you would have contributed to causing them more pain (the actual procedure pain you wanted to avoid and that of the medical condition that necesitated the procedure as a medical remedy)

finally, the world has a population of about 6.6billion, active muslims account for over 1.1billion people, active orthodox & protestant christians who also believe in circumcision account for about 2 billion, so where did the data of 3:1 ratio of uncircumcised to circumcised males come from?

so, if for long term health reasons, you plan to subject your unborn sons to vaccinations and other preventive health procedures, you might as well go the whole length because, even though circumcision started out as a religious practise, it has been found to actually have more health basis than religious basis and is presently classified as a preventive health procedure

I can't even be bothered to address the rest of your post because you actually said that babies cannot break their bones. Let me assure that that is PATENTLY FALSE.

As for your questioning of whether or not there are more uncircumcised men in the world than not, the WHO states that only 30 percent of the world's male population is circumcised. Here is a list of the countries that do not routinely circumcise their boys or the majority of men are not circumcised:

Rwanda
Burundi
Zambia
Cape Verde
Zimbabwe
Malawi
Botswana
Namibia
Swaziland
Canary,Is. (Spain).
Mexico
Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama
Cuba
Jamaica
Haiti
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
French Guiana
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Trinidad and Tobago
Venezuela
Russia
Mongolia
China
North Korea
India
Sri Lanka
Nepal
Bhutan
Burma
Thailand
Laos
Vietnam
Cambodia
Japan
Papua New Guinea
Iceland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Denmark
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Portugal
Spain
France
Switzerland
Italy
Netherlands
Belgium
Slovakia
Germany
Poland
Czech Republic
Hungary
Greece
Bulgaria
Romania
Moldova
Ukraine
Austria
Belarus
Russia
Austrailia
New Zealand
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by FufuKing1(m): 3:44pm On Oct 05, 2007
seun001:

can see your point.
well if u are educated,u definately want to know the kind of people that is going to perform the circumcision.

Here's the thing: It doesn't matter how skilled you are, these complications are STILL bound to occur. Even in Israel, where you know the "best" circumcisers are, they still have cases of damage to the penis. It's an unavoidable consequence of the procedure that sometimes, somebody is going to get hurt. And some boys die too.
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by ssRhino: 5:33pm On Oct 05, 2007
Seunm the child will grow up and curse you out when he see the damage u have done to him.
Check out the advantages and you will see why it is better to do it
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by seun001(m): 5:41pm On Oct 05, 2007
Fufu King:

Here's the thing: It doesn't matter how skilled you are, these complications are STILL bound to occur. Even in Israel, where you know the "best" circumcisers are, they still have cases of damage to the privates. It's an unavoidable consequence of the procedure that sometimes, somebody is going to get hurt. And some boys die too.

usually complications develop thru clumsiness,inability to adequately care for the wound etc.how do u know Israel has the best circumcisers hmm grin
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by FufuKing1(m): 6:07pm On Oct 05, 2007
seun001:

usually complications develop through clumsiness,inability to adequately care for the wound etc.how do u know Israel has the best circumcisers hmm grin
Not necessarily, like I said even experienced and skilled professional have these complications arise. Unfortunately when you put knives to genitals, there's no guarantee that things won't end up badly.

And Israel is deemed the best, because they have been doing the practice the longest, they invent many of the tools, and they are one of few countries to have a 100 percent circumcised male population.
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by seun001(m): 6:17pm On Oct 05, 2007
@Fufuking,
na build house first for street no mean say na u get the best house for the street. grin
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by ne4real(f): 7:11pm On Oct 05, 2007
@ seun

u harsh oooo

u want make hi thing long like snake, and very unattractive?

u r so funny and speak like a boy

lol!
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by crazyT(m): 9:11pm On Oct 05, 2007
Since March 2007 the World Health Organization and UNAIDS recognize male circumcision as an effective intervention for HIV prevention, while cautioning that male circumcision only provides partial protection and should not replace other interventions to prevent heterosexual transmission of HIV.

So Seun please don't deprive your son or sons the first chance of protection against HIV, let’s take advantage of any opportunity we have to fight this dreaded disease called AIDS
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by FufuKing1(m): 9:32pm On Oct 05, 2007
crazyT:

Since March 2007 the World Health Organization and UNAIDS recognize male circumcision as an effective intervention for HIV prevention, while cautioning that male circumcision only provides partial protection and should not replace other interventions to prevent heterosexual transmission of HIV.

So Seun please don't deprive your son or sons the first chance of protection against HIV, let’s take advantage of any opportunity we have to fight this dreaded disease called AIDS

Circumcision only provides partial protection if you have unprotected sex. If a man wears a condom, whether he is circumcised or not, he has a protection of over 90 percent.

There was also a study from Tanzania that said that circumcised women had a lower chance of contracting HIV:

http://www.ias-2005.org/planner/Abstracts.aspx?AID=3138

Female circumcision and HIV infection in Tanzania: for better or for worse?

Conclusions: A lowered risk of HIV infection among circumcised women was not attributable to confounding with another risk factor in these data. Anthropological insights on female circumcision as practiced in Tanzania may shed light on this conundrum.

When will we start advocating for the ladies to go under the knife?
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by Pip(m): 9:19am On Oct 06, 2007
Men! That's yr business. Besides it's ignorant people like you that bring up controversies on nairaland. U don't even have a kid and u've started recking his life. May God help you
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by English1(f): 12:08pm On Oct 06, 2007
I can only think that those who talk of snakes and elephants have never actually seen a foreskin?

If anything, a circumcised one looks like a snake, not one with a foreskin. How many snakes have you seen wearing a little hood over the top of their heads?
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by fuzek: 5:38pm On Oct 06, 2007
English1:

How many snakes have you seen wearing a little hood over the top of their heads?

OMG!!!roflllllllllllll grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 06, 2007
English1:

I can only think that those who talk of snakes and elephants have never actually seen a foreskin?

If anything, a circumcised one looks like a snake, not one with a foreskin. How many snakes have you seen wearing a little hood over the top of their heads?

uncircumcised Cobras. grin
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by Nwaka77: 6:57pm On Oct 06, 2007
davidylan:

uncircumcised Cobras. grin

grin grin grin cheesy
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by moondust(m): 8:01pm On Oct 06, 2007
really?
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by spoilt(f): 8:24pm On Oct 06, 2007
English1:

hehehehe! **wiping off tears of mirth **
good to know we still have people with their own share of dry wit! grin
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by omoge(f): 10:09pm On Oct 06, 2007
i heard the one without hood over their head looks like snake, too folded and ugly.
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by MP007(m): 1:21am On Oct 07, 2007
@seun, did u even look ur post, "advised becos of m,edical reasons":, agreed.So u wont do it just because a couple that had a legitimate reason to refuse didnt?, thats unreasonable, u only refuse cos of reasons tht are reasonable like medical and cultural, not just cos u feel its wrong,
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by walcolm(m): 6:25pm On Oct 07, 2007
@Fufu_King

i looked at ur post history on the topic and i take it u are uncircumcised.

be that as it may, you need to understand that the purpose of this thread is not to criticise circumcision or uncircumcision but to look at the concept from various point of views. there's nothing to be touchy about, it's always better to look at things objectively simply for their own merit. there are so many links on this thread that points you to sites where you can read professional views on the topic to make informed decisions and conclusions and i think that is what you shld do.

if you are a professional in the medical field and you made the comment that 'babies can break bones like an adult' (refer to your reply to my earlier post), then somebody needs to revoke ur license because you dont know ur sh-t but i believ you are not in the medical field.

i can assure you that if you talk to any WHO official concerning those stats, they will tell you that, it is a best estimate and not accurate based on the data available to them at the time of putting together the report. most of the countries in ur list are third world countries where medical records are not kept, where health services are poor and people believe more in traditional practises for things like circumcision because for them the driving force behind circumcision is either culture or religion not health, so how do u expect this people to have routine medical practise of circumcision? what u saw in the WHO report is talking about countries where circumcision is part of the routine medical service you get from hospital
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 07, 2007
@ Walcolm: Fufu King admitted he IS circumcised.
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by seun001(m): 7:45am On Oct 08, 2007
u guys/gals are just too hilarious. grin grin grin wink
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by McDoe(m): 10:02am On Oct 08, 2007
Seun, It is highly advisable to circumcize the male child both on traditional and on health grounds. Remember, one man's misfortunes cannot be used for generalization.
consider the circumcized and the un-circumcized
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by Bosdem(f): 10:24am On Oct 08, 2007
Seun, if u have seen an uncircumcise man, i bet u will change your mind!
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by jerrymania(m): 9:54pm On Oct 08, 2007
Good work.

I can see why Seun is making nairaland interesting and tryna outshine the competition. This thread is gonna last till whenever.
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by IYaeto(f): 10:16pm On Oct 08, 2007
Well. I've got a set of twin boys (now 7yrsold). A doctor circumcised them using anaestetic. I don't recommend the Jewish method. Although I couldn't look (my hubby did). Also the doctor doesn't encourage mums to be present when he's doing it. I don't regret doing it. If there is no medical condition, then it's ok but u're entitled to your own opinion.
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by spoilt(f): 11:06pm On Oct 08, 2007
Bosdem:

Seun, if u have seen an uncircumcise man, i bet u will change your mind!

what's wrong with an uncircumcised man? it really doesnt look as horrible as a lot of people are trying to describe. many of those going "yuk" havent even seen one.
Re: I Won't Circumcise My Baby Boy (If Any) by seyibrown(f): 1:24pm On Oct 09, 2007
Has anyone ever seen a smelly COCK!!

I will circumsize my baby boy because it is more hygienic!!! Not because of tradition!!

I will not circumsize my baby girl!!Apart from taking away a female's ability to enjoy sex(which is it sometimes results in), It is utterly pointless!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Your Mum Or Your Wife: Who Should Sit At The Front Seat Of Your Car? / Which Washing Machine Should I Go For Budget Of 45 - 55k / Would You Sleep With Your Pretty Mother-in-law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.