Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,656 members, 7,801,907 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1787) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1610494 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1784) (1785) (1786) (1787) (1788) (1789) (1790) ... (2192) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 10:44pm On Aug 03, 2021
The Lakers are playing my GM on 2k with no salary cap for sure. A little tint of desperate ring chasing everywhere sha. Way better than trying to be honourable like the nonsense Bob Myers is doing with the Warriors. Everyone is chasing ring shamelessly and he's there signing Bjelica undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:18pm On Aug 03, 2021
grin

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:22pm On Aug 03, 2021
SmooshCHN:
The Lakers are playing my GM on 2k with no salary cap for sure. A little tint of desperate ring chasing everywhere sha. Way better than trying to be honourable like the nonsense Bob Myers is doing with the Warriors. Everyone is chasing ring shamelessly and he's there signing Bjelica undecided

Your boy Curry is busy signing 4-year $215 deal at 33 years of age and you want a better roster. Lol
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:37pm On Aug 03, 2021
A40:

Lmaoo did you just say Prime Iggy grin shocked McGee? Same Shaqtin a fool MVP McGee abi which one? Looney cry

Kawhi was a baby, Splitter. Lewl!! What were the primes of Boris Diaw and Patty Mills and what numbers were they putting up?

So you're telling me a Perk and Big Baby are better than Bazemore, Ariza and Dwight Howard? This is dishonesty at its peak

I can concede for Miami because that team was deep as fuq

I'm saying considering the caliber of the top 3 players they have it's unrealistic and makes a mockery of the competition to assume the role players need to be significantly better. They have THT, Gasol, Ariza, Bazemore and Howard. Where is the drop-off? Even when he had the top two 6th men in the league y'all said it was not enough so what gives?

You can bring the numbers of some of these role players you listed and I bring the numbers of these guys let's see if the difference between this supporting cast and the ones you listed are as large as you claim

Javale for all his faults does his job, there is a reason for close to 8 years straight now, he has always been acquired by a contender. He might not be the greatest center, but he does his job and was a plus player for the warriors. If you are saying the Javale that played for the warriors is not better than what Gasol is now then you are the one who is not ready to admit bias in your arguments.
Iggy that played for warriors won final MVP, so don't even try that tact. I see you did not mention Draymond.

As for Kawhi, once again you are either lying to try to buttress your point, or you weren't watching nba basketball in those days. Kawhi came into the league and from his first year was a top 5 wing defender, by his second year he had progressed
and even added some small offensive elements to his game. A good example of who kawhi was in that time is Tybulle of the sixers take what he is doing on defense and add in the ability of averaging 14pts in the finals. Are you telling me anyone who knows basketball will not pick Tybulle as he his right now over any of Ariza and Co, not to talk of if he can average 14pts per game. So stop with all this trying to change history.
I reiterate my position if Ariza, Howard, Bazemore are your 4th, 5th and 6th man, then the drop off in talent for that team is just too much and they will not achieve much. If they are your 8th, 9th and 10th option then that is okay.

PS: With the recent deals the Lakers just made it seems even they agreed with my position that is why they've just added Nunn, Monk and Melo. If they can pull off the deal for THT that will even make them better. With these recent deals, then by all account they are a Superteam.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:38pm On Aug 03, 2021
A40:

Lmaoo did you just say Prime Iggy grin shocked McGee? Same Shaqtin a fool MVP McGee abi which one? Looney cry

Kawhi was a baby, Splitter. Lewl!! What were the primes of Boris Diaw and Patty Mills and what numbers were they putting up?

So you're telling me a Perk and Big Baby are better than Bazemore, Ariza and Dwight Howard? This is dishonesty at its peak

I can concede for Miami because that team was deep as fuq

I'm saying considering the caliber of the top 3 players they have it's unrealistic and makes a mockery of the competition to assume the role players need to be significantly better. They have THT, Gasol, Ariza, Bazemore and Howard. Where is the drop-off? Even when he had the top two 6th men in the league y'all said it was not enough so what gives?

You can bring the numbers of some of these role players you listed and I bring the numbers of these guys let's see if the difference between this supporting cast and the ones you listed are as large as you claim

As at the time we were discussing THT does not have a contract with the Lakers, I am making my stance based on who they have under contract not what they might do.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 11:41pm On Aug 03, 2021
steady986:

Your boy Curry is busy signing 4-year $215 deal at 33 years of age and you want a better roster. Lol
This your primary school basketball gist/IQ dey tire me abeg. Go and help him decline it and let me rest. Ma fe jo pami.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:44pm On Aug 03, 2021
steady986:

Small knife fight you don go carry bazooka come grin

I have watched enough basketball to know what a championship team looks like. When people start pushing narratives based on bias it irks me a bit. What the Lakers had before adding Nunn, Monk and Melo could not have made it to the western conference finals not to talk of NBA Finals.
Look at what Denver is low key assembling and you go fear. If they can get a deal done for Gordon, get Murray back early and avoid season ending injuries. that team can beat anybody especially if Jokic can play as well as he did this past season

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:58pm On Aug 03, 2021
steady986:
Patty Mills to the Nets. Haaaaaa. Wahala dey o shocked

shocked shocked :oThis deal as small as it seems is very bad for the league. Mills is someone that knows his role and can play up. What I mean by playing up is he can assume any role from, secondary playmaker for the bench, to primary playmaker for the bench, to secondary playmaker for the starting five, all the way to a low end 3rd option for a championship team. Also he stays fit and is not injury prone.
For example if KD had Mills against the Bucks then the Nets win probably in 6 or even 5

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:02am On Aug 04, 2021
A40:
Hood and Ojeleye to the Bucks. Hood is a serviceable replacement for Forbes problem is he's always injured

Mills to the Nets they bring back Blake and Brown but let go of Bruce Brown

Andre Drummond to the Sixers.

So nobody will pick up Schroeder? Shocking. Don't see why the Pelicans don't take a gamble on him. He's definitely better than Devonte Graham

For what the Pelicans want to do Graham is a better on court fit and also cheaper. Schroeder killed his market by shooting poorly last year and by wanting too much money. the Pelicans wants Zion to handle the ball more, so they prefer someone who can shoot at a high enough clip.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:03am On Aug 04, 2021
donlittle25:
i dont know what the argument is like that but prime iggy was philly, even the iggy at denver prime was already behind him

The Iggy at Philly was a wannabe 1st option. But for the role of 5th or 6th man the one in GSW was still in his prime.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:05am On Aug 04, 2021
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 12:40am On Aug 04, 2021
PJ Tucker joins the Miami Heat. Like I said last week, E. Fournier joining the Knicks. A lot of movement and stacking!
Re: The NBA Begins by KNIGHTBlaed(m): 2:13am On Aug 04, 2021
steady986:
LeBron
AD
Russ
Gasol
THT (new $32m deal)
Kendrick Nunn
Melo
Ellington
Ariza
Bazemore
Malik Monk
Dwight

LeGM doing GM things cheesy

They don come again. See super stacked team, Bron won't cease to amaze us. We dey here dey wait to laugh as usual grin grin grin. Reminds me of D. Rose, Wade, and co.. to the Cavs that year grin grin grin
Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 2:30am On Aug 04, 2021
Khanben:

The Iggy at Philly was a wannabe 1st option. But for the role of 5th or 6th man the one in GSW was still in his prime.
come on bro, What is this supposed to mean? There is a prime age for bench players? Lol man was out of his prime and went to the bench. I think it's that simple.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 2:36am On Aug 04, 2021
donlittle25:
come on bro, What is this supposed to mean? There is a prime age for bench players? Lol man was out of his prime and went to the bench. I think it's that simple.

The argument is based on superiority of role players. So for context who is better, the Iggy who played with the warriors, or any of Ariza, Gasol, Howard and Bazemore right now.
Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 3:15am On Aug 04, 2021
Khanben:

The argument is based on superiority of role players. So for context who is better, the Iggy who played with the warriors, or any of Ariza, Gasol, Howard and Bazemore right now.
oh alright. Saw prime Iggy at GSW and wanted to debunk that fact cause it's false. wink
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:05am On Aug 04, 2021
Khanben:

As at the time we were discussing THT does not have a contract with the Lakers, I am making my stance based on who they have under contract not what they might do.
Story. So you thought they weren't going to make any further additions to the squad? Abi what would be the point of arguing solely based on an incomplete roster as if na wetin dem go use start season
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:27am On Aug 04, 2021
Khanben:

Javale for all his faults does his job, there is a reason for close to 8 years straight now, he has always been acquired by a contender. He might not be the greatest center, but he does his job and was a plus player for the warriors. If you are saying the Javale that played for the warriors is not better than what Gasol is now then you are the one who is not ready to admit bias in your arguments.
Iggy that played for warriors won final MVP, so don't even try that tact. I see you did not mention Draymond.
What job does McGee do? So you're telling me he is better than Dwight abi what's your actual argument? He has always been acquired by a contender? He dey play? What does he do significantly better than Gasol

Draymond is part of their core. Why should I mention him? undecided

Khanben:

As for Kawhi, once again you are either lying to try to buttress your point, or you weren't watching nba basketball in those days. Kawhi came into the league and from his first year was a top 5 wing defender, by his second year he had progressed
and even added some small offensive elements to his game. A good example of who kawhi was in that time is Tybulle of the sixers take what he is doing on defense and add in the ability of averaging 14pts in the finals. Are you telling me anyone who knows basketball will not pick Tybulle as he his right now over any of Ariza and Co, not to talk of if he can average 14pts per game. So stop with all this trying to change history.
I reiterate my position if Ariza, Howard, Bazemore are your 4th, 5th and 6th man, then the drop off in talent for that team is just too much and they will not achieve much. If they are your 8th, 9th and 10th option then that is okay.
You are a very dishonest fellow. Who anointed Kawhi a top 5 wing defender when he entered the league? By what metrics? You awarded it to him from your bedroom or what.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2012.html
Come and show me where Kawhi is on this list

Lebron, AD, Westbrook offset anything Kawhi would bring to the table as a role player. This is the fundamental flaw in your argument, in a team with those 3 where will 2nd or 3rd year Kawhi see enough shots to average 14pts undecided

Are you comparing San Antonio that ran equal opportunity offense with old man Tim Duncan, Ginobili and Tony Parker to a squad with Lebron, AD and Westbrook?
Khanben:

PS: With the recent deals the Lakers just made it seems even they agreed with my position that is why they've just added Nunn, Monk and Melo. If they can pull off the deal for THT that will even make them better. With these recent deals, then by all account they are a Superteam.
Why would any half decent basketball pundit assume they will not add more players to a 9 man roster undecided

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 6:32am On Aug 04, 2021
SmooshCHN:
This your primary school basketball gist/IQ dey tire me abeg. Go and help him decline it and let me rest. Ma fe jo pami.

Then enjoy your Bjelica and stop complaining, college basketball IQ dude grin
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 6:45am On Aug 04, 2021
KNIGHTBlaed:

They don come again. See super stacked team, Bron won't cease to amaze us. We dey here dey wait to laugh as usual grin grin grin. Reminds me of D. Rose, Wade, and co.. to the Cavs that year grin grin grin

What made it a superteam? By adding Kendrick Nunn and 37 year old Melo? Lol. It is a superteam by virtue of having a big 3. And this team was formed to neutralize what your boy KD assembled in Brooklyn, just the same way LeBron formed a team in Miami to stop the superteam of the Celtics. Abi you want make e dey look? Like he looked and allowed the KD warriors to dominate the league. We won't allow it.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 6:49am On Aug 04, 2021
Kendrick Nunn and Wayne Ellington are the only impact pieces I see here. The rest are 36 year old journeymen, 1year rentals atbest, even Melo and Ariza. Anyone trying to say this is a stacked team is dishonest, and just wants to take shots at Lebron. Same cats have nothing to say about Nets or warriors.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 7:32am On Aug 04, 2021
steady986:

Then enjoy your Bjelica and stop complaining, college basketball IQ dude grin
Pele o Assistant Jesus wey dey receive complaints. angry
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:14am On Aug 04, 2021
The Lakers still have Bird Rights on Schroder, meaning we can sign him if he chooses to opt in, up to the max. But why would we do that when we just added a cheaper Nunn? Plus were already deep in luxury tax, the biggest in our history. If no one comes for Schroder, there's a scenario where he could take even less than what he made last year.

It's desperation time right now. He should have taken the $80m 4 year we were offering him grin because I don't see any team in this league that would be crazy enough to give him 20.
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 8:30am On Aug 04, 2021
What are the Blazers up to? Poverty franchise
Re: The NBA Begins by joshboo(m): 8:47am On Aug 04, 2021
steady986:
The Lakers still have Bird Rights on Schroder, meaning we can sign him if he chooses to opt in, up to the max. But why would we do that when we just added a cheaper Nunn? Plus were already deep in luxury tax, the biggest in our history. If no one comes for Schroder, there's a scenario where he could take even less than what he made last year.

It's desperation time right now. He should have taken the $80m 4 year we were offering him grin because I don't see any team in this league that would be crazy enough to give him 20.

grin honestly i feel no pity for him, na him shoot himself. I don't know who deceives this players maybe themselves or their agents, many of them over value themselves. Dennis is average at best and that contract was perfect for his calibre.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 9:52am On Aug 04, 2021
etidy:

You think they should blow up or add pieces instead?
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 10:23am On Aug 04, 2021
joshboo:

grin honestly i feel no pity for him, na him shoot himself. I don't know who deceives this players maybe themselves or their agents, many of them over value themselves. Dennis is average at best and that contract was perfect for his calibre.

No mind am. Person wey never arrive dey ask for max contract. See me see wahala o. You cat even be the second option on a championship team, let alone a playoff team.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 10:42am On Aug 04, 2021
etidy:

Their problem is they're putting too much faith in CJ. But in this league its hard to win with two small players as your best duo. I know the Warriors did it but that was the exception rather than the norm. And Stephen/Klay are the best shooting backcourt in history, not to even mention that Klay is 6ft6 and can defend too. If I'm the Blazers I'd use CJ to get a forward like Siakam and see how it works, then add a decent shooter to replace CJ at the 2. They'll have a starting 5 of

Dame
Shooting guard
Powell
Siakam
Nurkic

Not bad if you asked me.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 11:15am On Aug 04, 2021
joshboo:

Nerlens Noel says Hi angry
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:17pm On Aug 04, 2021
A40:

What job does McGee do? So you're telling me he is better than Dwight abi what's your actual argument? He has always been acquired by a contender? He dey play? What does he do significantly better than Gasol

Draymond is part of their core. Why should I mention him? undecided

You are a very dishonest fellow. Who anointed Kawhi a top 5 wing defender when he entered the league? By what metrics? You awarded it to him from your bedroom or what.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2012.html
Come and show me where Kawhi is on this list

Lebron, AD, Westbrook offset anything Kawhi would bring to the table as a role player. This is the fundamental flaw in your argument, in a team with those 3 where will 2nd or 3rd year Kawhi see enough shots to average 14pts undecided

Are you comparing San Antonio that ran equal opportunity offense with old man Tim Duncan, Ginobili and Tony Parker to a squad with Lebron, AD and Westbrook?
Why would any half decent basketball pundit assume they will not add more players to a 9 man roster undecided

Una don start to dey change goal post. This discussion is about the talent surrounding a big 3. Draymond for all is ability was not part of the warriors big3. Same with Rondo for the 2010 Celtics. That is why I repeated said that what the Lakers signed were players who were only capable of being contributors if they were used as the 8th man or above. But you kept insisting that these guys only will be the ones to catapult them.into Superteam status. I don't care how great your 3 best players are if this is basketball not tennis, if the drop-off in talent with what they had on Monday was way too much.
As for them taking all the shots, the Bucks just had a series where their own big 3 took all the shots, but you know what in game 6 of the finals they still needed a Bobby to make shots just to keep them in the game.

I still think you are more into stats rather than just watching basketball to be honest, if you can name 5 more wing defenders better that kawhi in 2012 please do so. Show me a metric that says Tybulle is a top 5 wing defender now, but any one with eyes who watches him knows he is one.
Kawhi basically won his finals MVP based solely on guarding Lebron 1v1 in the finals, if that is not enough proof of his defensive capabilities I don't know what else I can say.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:26pm On Aug 04, 2021
steady986:

Their problem is they're putting too much faith in CJ. But in this league its hard to win with two small players as your best duo. I know the Warriors did it but that was the exception rather than the norm. And Stephen/Klay are the best shooting backcourt in history, not to even mention that Klay is 6ft6 and can defend too. If I'm the Blazers I'd use CJ to get a forward like Siakam and see how it works, then add a decent shooter to replace CJ at the 2. They gave a starting 5 of

Dame
Shooting guard
Powell
Siakam
Nurkic

Not bad if you asked me.

With the right 2 guard, this is not a bad starting 5. The only issue is I don't think the Raptors will agree to a straight swap of Siakam for CJ.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 2:16pm On Aug 04, 2021
Khanben:

With the right 2 guard, this is not a bad starting 5. The only issue is I don't think the Raptors will agree to a straight swap of Siakam for CJ.

Why not? Even Blazers might think they're being cheated. But it's an even trade if we're being honest. They're both borderline superstars. The two of them earn exactly the same amount of money and have the same length of contract. Maybe the Blazers can throw in a second round pick since they're the ones who would be initiating the trade and so may look more desperate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1784) (1785) (1786) (1787) (1788) (1789) (1790) ... (2192) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.