Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,549 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1797) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1616796 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1794) (1795) (1796) (1797) (1798) (1799) (1800) ... (2199) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:56pm On Aug 21, 2021
Khanben:

Brooklyn's big 3 at this stage of their career, when healthy are the better trio. Also their fit is more organic. Lebron has only played well alongside shooters, which Westbrook is not
What stage? Shey you know KD, Westbrook, Harden are more or less within a year of each other in age, AD is significantly younger than both with LeNomad the only oldie among them

The only thing you can categorically say Brooklyn does better is shooting, any other aspect I don't buy it.

Lebron has only played well alongside shooters? So why didn't he lobby for guys like Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, Lowry and co that were available? I don't buy that argument one jot. The likes of Melo, Nunn and Monk are role players that can shoot

Giannis, Holiday were mediocre shooters the entire postseason. Didn't stop them from winning
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:04pm On Aug 21, 2021
birdman:

So you think Lebron, AD and WB is better than Durant, Harden and Kyrie? Even with only AD in his prime vs Durant Harden and Kyrie still in their prime?

Nah. Not on offense, not on defense.
The same Westbrook that led the league in assists and triple doubles last season? Why are you Bronsexuals so dishonest like this. Westbrook is 2 months younger than KD and only 9 months older than Harden

You people are trying to paint the Lakers as some underdog. Sad

I repeat the only thing Brooklyn's big 3 have on Lakers is shooting!! Lakers have more size, more rebounding, defense and shot-blocking, rim protection. In the interior Lakers will punish Brooklyn, Which of Brooklyn's big 3 can guard AD apart from Durant who is even questionable. Can Harden guard Lebron? Can Kyrie guard Lebron?

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:05pm On Aug 21, 2021
Khanben:

Assinn, LeBron is going on year 19, and is at the very tail end of his prime.
Same Lebron that was MVP candidate before his injury? When will you people stop with this dishonesty? Is he still playing at a high level or not?

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:15pm On Aug 21, 2021
birdman:

Just based on prime playing age alone, they are not even in the same class. This is not a honest take from a40 grin
Nonsense. Imagine saying with a straight face that they are not in the same class. What kind of irresponsible comment is this?

Kyrie vs Westbrook
Harden vs Lebron
AD vs KD

You're telling me the Lebron y'all swore was the best player in the world last year is not in the same class with notorious playoff choker James Harden? Or that AD cannot hold his own against KD especially on defense. If you tell me Kyrie is better than WB I hear but by what margin?

Bottomline una no serious at all

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 10:40pm On Aug 21, 2021
A40:
Nonsense. Imagine saying with a straight face that they are not in the same class. What kind of irresponsible comment is this?

Kyrie vs Westbrook
Harden vs Lebron
AD vs KD

You're telling me the Lebron y'all swore was the best player in the world last year is not in the same class with notorious playoff choker James Harden? Or that AD cannot hold his own against KD especially on defense. If you tell me Kyrie is better than WB I hear but by what margin?

LeBron will have you believe people are calling his team of superstars washed/old. We don't buy the narrative abeg.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 10:42pm On Aug 21, 2021
A40:

Kyrie vs Westbrook
Harden vs Lebron
AD vs KD

There is a reason no exec picked Lebron: Father Time

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32051548/lebron-james-reacts-amassing-zero-votes-nba-best-player-offseason-survey

Even upcoming fantasy draft, Lebron cannot be top 5 or top 10. I fully expect him to sit out major minutes. This is year 18!! Same with Melo
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 10:45pm On Aug 21, 2021
steady986:

Agenda must agenda grin

Im telling you! Kai!
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:16pm On Aug 21, 2021
SmooshCHN:

LeBron will have you believe people are calling his team of superstars washed/old. We don't buy the narrative abeg.
They are all dishonest people. How old is Tom Brady that won Superbowl this year and nobody dares bet against them this coming season. People act like we are not in an era where players can extend their primes like never before
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:19pm On Aug 21, 2021
birdman:

There is a reason no exec picked Lebron: Father Time

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32051548/lebron-james-reacts-amassing-zero-votes-nba-best-player-offseason-survey

Even upcoming fantasy draft, Lebron cannot be top 5 or top 10. I fully expect him to sit out major minutes. This is year 18!! Same with Melo

Shey na execs go enter court play?? FYI they only surveyed 10 GMS, He was FMVP just last year and top 3 MVP candidate till he got hurt. While I do not consider him the GOAT and never will, I still agree that in today's league he is still unquestionably a top 5 player and the only guys you can categorically say are better right now are Giannis and KD. The rest whosaiii
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:24pm On Aug 21, 2021
A40:
What stage? Shey you know KD, Westbrook, Harden are more or less within a year of each other in age, AD is significantly younger than both with LeNomad the only oldie among them

The only thing you can categorically say Brooklyn does better is shooting, any other aspect I don't buy it.

Lebron has only played well alongside shooters? So why didn't he lobby for guys like Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, Lowry and co that were available? I don't buy that argument one jot. The likes of Melo, Nunn and Monk are role players that can shoot

Giannis, Holiday were mediocre shooters the entire postseason. Didn't stop them from winning

So for you a PG who is at 25% from the 3pt range is the same as one who is at 30%. Giannis is a big so his shooting woos are just a media exaggeration, no one quibbled when Shaq had worse numbers.
Westbrook is a far better player than Jrue, but Jrue is a far better 3rd option on a championship side than the last seen version of Westbrook.
Jrue is as good a playmaker, a far better defender and though his shooting is erratic, he actually takes good shots and a team can live with his shot selection.
Westbrook on the other hand is an average defender (which is bad for a 3rd option), a great playmaker, but his most damaging attribute is not just that he is a bad shooter, it is that he takes very bad and ill-advised shoots, the moniker westbrick is not misplaced IMHO

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:28pm On Aug 21, 2021
A40:
Same Lebron that was MVP candidate before his injury? When will you people stop with this dishonesty? Is he still playing at a high level or not?

That is the 2nd time in 3 seasons he has had bad injuries. Which speaks to father time coming for its due.
As far his play, his playmaking ability is now his strongest asset which means at this stage he is better with shooters.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:30pm On Aug 21, 2021
A40:
Shey na execs go enter court play?? FYI they only surveyed 10 GMS, He was FMVP just last year and top 3 MVP candidate till he got hurt. While I do not consider him the GOAT and never will, I still agree that in today's league he is still unquestionably a top 5 player and the only guys you can categorically say are better right now are Giannis and KD. The rest whosaiii

He was finals MVP after 4 months of rest. Anybody who says the covid break did not help Lebron last year is just being disingenuous. IMHO the break is probably why he did not get injured that season.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:37pm On Aug 21, 2021
A40:

The same Westbrook that led the league in assists and triple doubles last season? Why are you Bronsexuals so dishonest like this. Westbrook is 2 months younger than KD and only 9 months older than Harden

You people are trying to paint the Lakers as some underdog. Sad

I repeat the only thing Brooklyn's big 3 have on Lakers is shooting!! Lakers have more size, more rebounding, defense and shot-blocking, rim protection. In the interior Lakers will punish Brooklyn, Which of Brooklyn's big 3 can guard AD apart from Durant who is even questionable. Can Harden guard Lebron? Can Kyrie guard Lebron?

Which defense apart from AD and Lebron name me another plus defender on their squad who will on the court in the last 5 minutes of a close game.
In a match up against the Nets, AD will be matched up against Blake while Lebron will be guarded by KD most of the time.
Also the Nets 'others' are way better than what the Lakers have Patty Mills alone trumps 2-3 of the Lakers players all by himself.

In short on paper the Nets have by far the better team going into next season no question. If they are all healthy, they will win.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:44pm On Aug 21, 2021
Khanben:

He was finals MVP after 4 months of rest. Anybody who says the covid break did not help Lebron last year is just being disingenuous. IMHO the break is probably why he did not get injured that season.
I'm not even a LeNomad fan but this your argument is neither here nor there. As much as I don't really rate the bubble ring everyone else also had the 4 months rest and plus they were easily the best team in the West before the injury. His injuries have been freak ones, don't be dishonest. He was playing every game last season as well till the freak injury. I might not be a fan but I have to give it to him the guy is durable af
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:46pm On Aug 21, 2021
Khanben:

That is the 2nd time in 3 seasons he has had bad injuries. Which speaks to father time coming for its due.
As far his play, his playmaking ability is now his strongest asset which means at this stage he is better with shooters.
Freak injuries that can happen to anybody. Even younger players are suffering these injuries as well so I don't see your point

His playmaking also means he has to play many minutes on the court, Westbrook takes the ballhandling load off him. They did sign shooters. Melo, Nunn and Monk can shoot
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:52pm On Aug 21, 2021
Khanben:

Which defense apart from AD and Lebron name me another plus defender on their squad who will on the court in the last 5 minutes of a close game.
In a match up against the Nets, AD will be matched up against Blake while Lebron will be guarded by KD most of the time.
Also the Nets 'others' are way better than what the Lakers have Patty Mills alone trumps 2-3 of the Lakers players all by himself.

In short on paper the Nets have by far the better team going into next season no question. If they are all healthy, they will win.
What are you saying? Who are the plus defenders on Brooklyn apart from KD? What kind of dishonesty without financial incentive is this? This same Brooklyn that was on track to become one of the worst defensive teams in league history

You believe in your heart of hearts that Blake Griffin can guard Anthony Davis? grin shocked which series do you remember KD effectively guarding Lebron??

List the others let's compare. You watched FIBA Patty Mills and in your eye na all star. Who was talking about Patty Mills before Olympics? Abeg x3

They don't have any far better team anything. Stop this nonsense cap
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:59pm On Aug 21, 2021
Khanben:

So for you a PG who is at 25% from the 3pt range is the same as one who is at 30%. Giannis is a big so his shooting woos are just a media exaggeration, no one quibbled when Shaq had worse numbers.
Westbrook is a far better player than Jrue, but Jrue is a far better 3rd option on a championship side than the last seen version of Westbrook.
Jrue is as good a playmaker, a far better defender and though his shooting is erratic, he actually takes good shots and a team can live with his shot selection.
Westbrook on the other hand is an average defender (which is bad for a 3rd option), a great playmaker, but his most damaging attribute is not just that he is a bad shooter, it is that he takes very bad and ill-advised shoots, the moniker westbrick is not misplaced IMHO
Westbrook's only issue is not playing to his strengths that's it. If you're a bad shooter then take fewer 3's. Problem solved

We have never seen Westbrook on a team where he's the 3rd option and the Lakers will be fine if he's not consistently taking more shots than Lebron and AD, he might not have enough chances to shoot the Lakers out of games

Westbrook on the team helps them play at a quicker pace and more importantly will take ball handling off Lebron. That's the primary reason they brought him, they are well aware he can't shoot

Westbrook might not be a good 3rd option in your eyes but I'm sure most teams will kill for the luxury of Westbrook as your 3rd best player

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:12am On Aug 22, 2021
Roland17:

Una don come again! Him head dey pursue us how? Baba abeg free us jare. IT na free agent oh, wetin Mavs dey wait for?

As for me, I know say many people no go like my comment but I don't care. Udonis should go and retire abeg! He is busy chopping a roster spot for a young guy in the G-League that has something to prove. If it is from a leadership/ locker room standpoint, then they should hire him as a coach of some sorts. I honestly don't see the benefit of getting paid every year to just sit on the bench, all in the name of experience and emotional leader. The last time we saw him, he got thrown out inside only 3 minutes of his only season appearance.

Baba should just stop...
No do because of homerism no talk true. Na part of the bad karma wey dey follow una be that. All una big free agent no one pan out. From Hayward to Kyrie to Walker

The guy busted his behind for una three years got hurt on company time and una no do am well. Can you honestly say you have gotten as much ROI on the guys you paid above compared to him? Na so karma dey work. grin grin Over 160m on Walker and Hayward alone. Nothing to show

Udonis get mafia agreement with Pat Riley. No worry yourself about that one. Any roster spot after 10 no go too get chance show anything anyway
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:53am On Aug 22, 2021
A40:
They are all dishonest people. How old is Tom Brady that won Superbowl this year and nobody dares bet against them this coming season. People act like we are not in an era where players can extend their primes like never before

Another of this overhyped narrative,throughout the playoffs Tom Brady had the best online, best receiving Corp, best defensive front seven and a good secondary. So his winning was more about the whole team than just him.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:04am On Aug 22, 2021
A40:
Westbrook's only issue is not playing to his strengths that's it. If you're a bad shooter then take fewer 3's. Problem solved

We have never seen Westbrook on a team where he's the 3rd option and the Lakers will be fine if he's not consistently taking more shots than Lebron and AD, he might not have enough chances to shoot the Lakers out of games

Westbrook on the team helps them play at a quicker pace and more importantly will take ball handling off Lebron. That's the primary reason they brought him, they are well aware he can't shoot

Westbrook might not be a good 3rd option in your eyes but I'm sure most teams will kill for the luxury of Westbrook as your 3rd best player

Westbrook is a great player, time will tell, but for this team, he is a poor 3rd option, at least on paper. There are teams where Westbrook would fit better as a 3rd option like say the Celtics who already have 4 players who can shoot the 3ball and all they need him to do is just playmake, and go to the basket as much as he wants as long as does not take all those ridiculous long 2s.
But for the Lakers, the fit can work in the regular season and early playoff matchups, but what happens when games becomes close and its all about half court possessions. who gets the ball Russ or Lebron? Will they take turns?
When it is Lebron's turn, what does russ do? will be willing act as a cutter to the basket or will he hang around at the 3pt line. He refused to give up the ball for KD maybe he will do so for Lebron time will tell.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:14am On Aug 22, 2021
A40:
What are you saying? Who are the plus defenders on Brooklyn apart from KD? What kind of dishonesty without financial incentive is this? This same Brooklyn that was on track to become one of the worst defensive teams in league history

You believe in your heart of hearts that Blake Griffin can guard Anthony Davis? grin shocked which series do you remember KD effectively guarding Lebron??

List the others let's compare. You watched FIBA Patty Mills and in your eye na all star. Who was talking about Patty Mills before Olympics? Abeg x3

They don't have any far better team anything. Stop this nonsense cap

Your problem is that you think only stars make a team. Mills is an above average playmaker. If it comes to running an offense which is what you need in the playoffs.
Go check, almost all NBA champions have one low key pattern which always repeats itself. the team which has the most players who can run the offense, always wins.
Blake was the primary defender on Giannis who is AD in comparison to that.
Also go check Brooklyn was only poor defensively in the first half of the season, by the end of the season they were already above league average. So please check your facts

PS: The 2011 nba finals got turned on its head because of the Mavs inserting JJ Barea into the line up, he is a below average nba player in totality, but you know what he excels in Running the offense.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:20am On Aug 22, 2021
A40:
Freak injuries that can happen to anybody. Even younger players are suffering these injuries as well so I don't see your point

His playmaking also means he has to play many minutes on the court, Westbrook takes the ballhandling load off him. They did sign shooters. Melo, Nunn and Monk can shoot

Surprisingly the best shooter they signed is Wellington
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:10am On Aug 22, 2021
A40:

had to go all the way to the NFL, as you no see road for NBA again. yeye dey smell

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:14am On Aug 22, 2021
"Lebron is the best player". Hater: No, it cant be, he doesnt have closer mentality, he has bad playoffs record, etc

"Ok, Lebron is not the best player". Same Hater: No, he must be. He is a super star, the best player. Admit it.

Abeg choose one and stick with it. The guy dey follow u for dream? Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:42am On Aug 22, 2021
A40:
No do because of homerism no talk true. Na part of the bad karma wey dey follow una be that. All una big free agent no one pan out. From Hayward to Kyrie to Walker

The guy busted his behind for una three years got hurt on company time and una no do am well. Can you honestly say you have gotten as much ROI on the guys you paid above compared to him? Na so karma dey work. grin grin Over 160m on Walker and Hayward alone. Nothing to show

Udonis get mafia agreement with Pat Riley. No worry yourself about that one. Any roster spot after 10 no go too get chance show anything anyway

I don tire for this IT talk. The guy busted his behind for free? I don’t get it! He got hurt while playing. Are we supposed to offer him the max he was requesting then? I don’t get all these talks to be honest. The guy was heading into the unemployment market when the Celtics took a chance. Would any other team be forced to feel sorry for not signing IT to a max? Bit of course because it’s the Celtics everyone has to hate.
The Celtics were not going to build its franchise around IT so the max was out of the way before the injury. Hayward and Kemba situation no get anything to do with IT, I don’t believe in that kain CAP. He is available now, why is no one taking a chance at him?
This is the same situation with Schroeder, the man over estimated his value and was unemployed until the Celtics stepped in but somehow, it is our fault for getting him on a bargain! I don’t get it most times. Oh well! We move..

As for Udonis, he should stop embarrassing himself and give that spot to a young kid that has something to prove. If he is important for the locker room then let him be hired as an assistant or in some capacity.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:19am On Aug 22, 2021
birdman:

had to go all the way to the NFL, as you no see road for NBA again. yeye dey smell

Na that one catch my attention o. Imagine comparing a quarterback who doesn't even rush to a power forward whose game is all about speed and power. I can't say I'm surprised though grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:52pm On Aug 22, 2021
Roland17:

I don tire for this IT talk. The guy busted his behind for free? I don’t get it! He got hurt while playing. Are we supposed to offer him the max he was requesting then? I don’t get all these talks to be honest. The guy was heading into the unemployment market when the Celtics took a chance. Would any other team be forced to feel sorry for not signing IT to a max? Bit of course because it’s the Celtics everyone has to hate.
The Celtics were not going to build its franchise around IT so the max was out of the way before the injury. Hayward and Kemba situation no get anything to do with IT, I don’t believe in that kain CAP. He is available now, why is no one taking a chance at him?
This is the same situation with Schroeder, the man over estimated his value and was unemployed until the Celtics stepped in but somehow, it is our fault for getting him on a bargain! I don’t get it most times. Oh well! We move..

As for Udonis, he should stop embarrassing himself and give that spot to a young kid that has something to prove. If he is important for the locker room then let him be hired as an assistant or in some capacity.

IMHO the whole IT situation just underscores the fact that as a player you should prioritize yourself, because management will surely prioritize themselves even if it means screwing you.
Don't play with injuries that can get worse and always get as much money as you can get, as quickly as you can get it
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 12:15am On Aug 23, 2021
Roland17:

For real. Must they fire you before you know its time to quit?
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:43am On Aug 23, 2021
Khanben:

Another of this overhyped narrative,throughout the playoffs Tom Brady had the best online, best receiving Corp, best defensive front seven and a good secondary. So his winning was more about the whole team than just him.
You people have started this nonsense talk again. Before Brady got there which of their receiving corps and defensive front seven did you know? What were their achievements besides Shaq Barett who had won a Superbowl but was jonzing in Tampa? How many Pro bowl O-Liners did you know on that team? You people lie without decorum. Which yeye good secondary?

Of course NFL is a team sport but only a crazeman will see a team that went from no playoffs to the damn Superbowl and deny that Tom Brady was the most important ingredient
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:47am On Aug 23, 2021
birdman:

Wetin this one dey talk? Are they not two oldies still playing at a high level? Don't you see your Queen constantly famzing the GOAT on Social media when he does something record breaking? Even at that age they are still top3 to top 5 in their respective sports. Is that a lie?
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:53am On Aug 23, 2021
birdman:
"Lebron is the best player". Hater: No, it cant be, he doesnt have closer mentality, he has bad playoffs record, etc

"Ok, Lebron is not the best player". Same Hater: No, he must be. He is a super star, the best player. Admit it.

Abeg choose one and stick with it. The guy dey follow u for dream? Nonsense.
Why do you draw parallels like a drunkard? You used to be brighter than this nau? Wetin happen??

Is Lebron the best player on current form? No.

Is he in the discussion? Yes! He was MVP candidate before he got hurt. No?

Even a kid of 3 can understand this. Abi wetin be the meaning of that incoherent prattle you type above? Se kosi?

The difference between me and you is you don't know when to drop your fanboy hat and wear the objective one
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:57am On Aug 23, 2021
Khanben:

Westbrook is a great player, time will tell, but for this team, he is a poor 3rd option, at least on paper. There are teams where Westbrook would fit better as a 3rd option like say the Celtics who already have 4 players who can shoot the 3ball and all they need him to do is just playmake, and go to the basket as much as he wants as long as does not take all those ridiculous long 2s.
But for the Lakers, the fit can work in the regular season and early playoff matchups, but what happens when games becomes close and its all about half court possessions. who gets the ball Russ or Lebron? Will they take turns?
When it is Lebron's turn, what does russ do? will be willing act as a cutter to the basket or will he hang around at the 3pt line. He refused to give up the ball for KD maybe he will do so for Lebron time will tell.
Na you know that one. I'm rooting for the team to fail as well. But if you think players with basketball IQ of Westbrook and Lebron will not find a way to make it work then you're being a bit naive. For all we know Russ might be the primary ball handler and Lebron plays off the ball. Anyway that's not my job so I don't care all I know is both guys will make sacrifices were necessary

(1) (2) (3) ... (1794) (1795) (1796) (1797) (1798) (1799) (1800) ... (2199) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: Skrrrrrrr, smokers and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.