Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,499 members, 7,808,848 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? (1603 Views)

Explosions At Brussels Airport And Subway Station In Belgium / Is Mali Heading For A Split? Video!! / Scotland To Split From Uk. CAN PRO-INDEPENDENCE PARTY BE FORMED IN NIGERIA? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by babasin(m): 5:37pm On Oct 03, 2007
Belgium has been locked in political stalemate since elections in June failed to produce a new government.

The uncertainty has sparked fierce debate over whether the country should be split into the mainly Dutch-speaking Flanders and French-speaking Wallonia regions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7017860.stm
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 03, 2007
when oil is talking! The Belgians dont have that problem.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by ono(m): 10:03am On Oct 04, 2007
David has given the obvious truth of the matter. Na oil dey keep us together. As soon as the oil dries up, we can then think of splitting up.

But, I just finished attending one course like that in PE. There, it was made explicitly clear that oil generation in most parts of the Niger Delta is an ongoing process. The oil cannot dry up just like that. So, when are we going to split up as a nation?
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by juintade(m): 10:15am On Oct 04, 2007
LOl, split up. I find it very integring that you lot would even consider us to split up. As one unit we can stand, so how can each region/privince/state stand on their own if we split. I still think one nation we have more chance of becoming a global power. What is needed is a leader that is educated and looks beyond this balck gold called oil, as our primary source of national income.

I can still oil being a crucial energy source this time in 100 years, hence my dear friend splitting is not going to come anytime soon. Moreover I dont see the oil companies(shell, chevron, Texaco) to mention a few moving on to another source of income.

If you guys ever make mention of this subject again, I would arrest you guys, well just joking. Well its good that at least as one nation we do respect each other freedom of speech.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 04, 2007
juintade:

LOl, split up. I find it very integring that you lot would even consider us to split up. As one unit we can stand, so how can each region/privince/state stand on their own if we split. I still think one nation we have more chance of becoming a global power. What is needed is a leader that is educated and looks beyond this balck gold called oil, as our primary source of national income.

Those same regions stood on their own two feet between 1960-66. You will agree with me that our economy was far better than those of the Asian tigers when we were on our own than when we were forced together by illiterates in military uniform.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by babasin(m): 4:04pm On Oct 04, 2007
any group of people can stand as a nation once they:

1. united in purpose

2. love themselves than a foreigner

3. do not trust any foreigner

4. respect rule of law + human right

The real resource that makes a nation is PEOPLE
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by osereka(m): 4:09pm On Oct 04, 2007
IF BELGIUM SPLIT TO TWO,
HOW MANY NATIONS WILL NAIJA SPLIT TO

and what state go to what region?
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by texazzpete(m): 9:22am On Oct 05, 2007
babasin:

any group of people can stand as a nation once they:

1. united in purpose

2. love themselves than a foreigner

3. do not trust any foreigner
4. respect rule of law + human right

The real resource that makes a nation is PEOPLE

Not bad. But the 'distrust all foreigners' thingy smacks of xenophobia.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by debosky(m): 9:29am On Oct 05, 2007
your thread title is misleading, the Belgians are discussing splitting up, they are not necessarily splitting up. A debate on whether to split up is totally different thing entirely from splitting.

If what you are proposing is the discourse on the nature of our union, then yes. As far as I know, apart from elements of discontent in certain regions, majority of Nigerians have not decided that they want to split up. If and when that issue comes up for discussion, let it be thrashed out by the people's representatives at various levels.

the linguistic persuasions leading the splitting discourse in Belgium is completely inapplicable in our case. As one poster asked - how many nations will result from a nation of over 300 languages and countless dialects? The real resource that makes a nation is no doubt people, but the lack of unity and other issues cannot be treated in isolation, people thought state creation would solve these problems, it didn't. What is the basis of this 'split' you are advocating?
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by ono(m): 10:22am On Oct 05, 2007
The Belgians sure are discussing about splitting up, because matters of governance in the country have gotten to a head. And they're genuinely discussing a way forward for governing the different ethnic groups that make up Belgium. Each ethnic group wants to protect their interests in a united or divided Belgium.

Herein lies the difference between Nigeria and Belgium. While the Belgians are doing this for the very first time, I believe, and will most likely implement the decisions of the participants of that discussion, Nigerians have held several political conferences in the past, written myriads of reports on the recommendations of participants of these conference but have never implemented any of the recommendations.

So, while Belgians are discussing a way forward for their country, and the ethnic groups making up the country are wont to progress with what they have, here in Nigeria as soon as the matter of oil comes up at any conference, Jihadists and pretenders rally round their people to pour cold water on any recommendation. Oil is a no-go area for discussion. The Niger Delta people can rotten where ever they are. No one (Jihadists and pretenders alike) will part with that oil in that place. They must realise the full benefit of oil being located in a united Nigeria. Until then, Nigeria must remain as one.

Brings us back to David's entry. It's oil that's keeping us together.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by nferyn(m): 10:04am On Oct 06, 2007
ono:

The Belgians sure are discussing about splitting up, because matters of governance in the country have gotten to a head. And they're genuinely discussing a way forward for governing the different ethnic groups that make up Belgium. Each ethnic group wants to protect their interests in a united or divided Belgium.
We're not discussing splitting up Belgium at all. there's a stalemate in the negotiations over forming a government, but only a few fringe groups are really thinking about splitting up the country. Belgium doesn't really have distinct ethnic groups, but rather linguistic groups. There's very little cultural difference betweens Flemish and Walloon people. it's a language issue. The different language groups have very different ideas on how to govern the country, but, because of the federal structure of Belgium, this hardly impacts the functioning of the country, it's mainly an image issue (and the complete misunderstanding that foreigners have when it comes to Belgian politics, we're really not on the verge of civil war wink )

ono:

Herein lies the difference between Nigeria and Belgium. While the Belgians are doing this for the very first time, I believe, and will most likely implement the decisions of the participants of that discussion, Nigerians have held several political conferences in the past, written myriads of reports on the recommendations of participants of these conference but have never implemented any of the recommendations.
There isn't any break-up scenario on the table, these are only negotiations over forming the next federal government, the two aren't really comparable

ono:

So, while Belgians are discussing a way forward for their country, and the ethnic groups making up the country are won't to progress with what they have, here in Nigeria as soon as the matter of oil comes up at any conference, Jihadists and pretenders rally round their people to pour cold water on any recommendation. Oil is a no-go area for discussion. The Niger Delta people can rotten where ever they are. No one (Jihadists and pretenders alike) will part with that oil in that place. They must realise the full benefit of oil being located in a united Nigeria. Until then, Nigeria must remain as one.
Another reason why the two cannot be compared; Belgium doesn't have any natural resources at all. The only thing Belgium has is it's highly educated multilingual population, it's geographical position within Europe and the excellent infrastructure.

ono:

Brings us back to David's entry. It's oil that's keeping us together.
And this makes the proposition to reintroduce genuine federalism probably the best way to keep Nigeria united in the long run. Without federalism, Belgium most definitely would have split up by now.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by ow11(m): 11:15am On Oct 06, 2007
Nigeria cannot split because the other regions need the oil in one region to survive. To those talking about groundnut and cocoa, please,
oil is the in thing now and not groundnut.so till another source of energy is discovered Nigeria will remain as it is because the other regions will be poor for lack of oil and the Niger delta will be a war zone if there is a split
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 06, 2007
nferyn:

And this makes the proposition to reintroduce genuine federalism probably the best way to keep Nigeria united in the long run. Without federalism, Belgium most definitely would have split up by now.

Please help me talk to my Nigerian folks who seem thi think keeping the status quo is best.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by CrazyMan(m): 2:55pm On Oct 06, 2007
I would love it if Nigeria splits.

Most countries in Europe did it when they realized that staying together was just a mere waste of time; now look at them, they’re all doing fine.

Let’s not deceive ourselves Nigeria is a disunited country; we keep on encountering the same problem of tribalism and lots of ethnic clashes across the nation. If we can’t stay together then why should we deceive ourselves?

Imagine common marriage if the guy or the girl isn’t from the same tribe you would have to go through hell just to convince the parents. I mean we should stop deceiving ourselves by saying Nigeria is united. We really need a breakup I think that would be much better.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by ono(m): 4:06pm On Oct 06, 2007
Hi Nferyn!
Nice to have you here. I guess you're from Belgium, rite? Thanks for the clarification. But reading between the lines of your entry, I noticed we're practically saying thesame thing.

Botton line is that until such a time that Nigeria set forth to practice true federalism, peace and unity will continue to elude us.

Now, what is the major obstacle to the practice of true federalism in Nigeria?: The presence of oil in the Niger Delta. Will the oil ever dry up in the Delta so that Nigerians can start thinking of true federalism again?: Unfortunately, research has shown that the oil will not dry up - going by the present geological processes going on in the place.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by nferyn(m): 6:02pm On Oct 06, 2007
ono:

Hi Nferyn!
Nice to have you here. I guess you're from Belgium, rite? Thanks for the clarification. But reading between the lines of your entry, I noticed we're practically saying thesame thing.
Good to hear from you too. Apart from the acknowledgment that Belgians are discussing the split up of the country, yes, we are.

ono:

Botton line is that until such a time that Nigeria set forth to practice true federalism, peace and unity will continue to elude us.
the only way a centralized state can continue to exist peacefully is by forced assimilation of their minorities (like what happened in France). The cultural identities of the minority cultures need to be crushed in a centralized state.

ono:

Now, what is the major obstacle to the practice of true federalism in Nigeria?: The presence of oil in the Niger Delta. Will the oil ever dry up in the Delta so that Nigerians can start thinking of true federalism again?: Unfortunately, research has shown that the oil will not dry up - going by the present geological processes going on in the place.
Even though this is currently a problem, it doesn't need to be. The lack of accountability of politicians is the problem and indeed, a highly centralized state leaves far more opportunities for unaccountability
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by ono(m): 6:39pm On Oct 06, 2007
Well, I don't think the Niger Delta people will like some smelly, bad ass, lousy, lazy guys from the North, West or East of Nigeria assimilate them. They sure know better than to swallow the Niger Delta people. It won't work.

Personally, nobody, I repeat, nobody can assimilate me.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by FSU: 7:04pm On Oct 06, 2007
ono:

Well, I don't think the Niger Delta people will like some smelly, bad ass, lousy, lazy guys from the North, West or East of Nigeria assimilate them. They sure know better than to swallow the Niger Delta people. It won't work.

Personally, nobody, I repeat, nobody can assimilate me.

Do you mean the lazy and ogogoro-drinking Niger deltans instead? BTW, Abia has recovered a whoppoing 48 oil wells from Rivers and 52 more are awaiting recovery. The yet to be touched oil in Anambra and Enugu will dispel your idiotic logic. The East has nothing to lose by splitting. Infact they are the only region ready to go, any time, any day. So cut the crap about oil.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 06, 2007
FSU:

Do you mean the lazy and ogogoro-drinking Niger deltans instead? BTW, Abia has recovered a whoppoing 48 oil wells from Rivers and 52 more are awaiting recovery. The yet to be touched oil in Anambra and Enugu will dispel your idiotic logic. The East has nothing to lose by splitting. Infact they are the only region ready to go, any time, any day. So cut the crap about oil.

Keep discovering more oil wells to "share" with your enemies up north. The west will reserve their oil until such a time as we can split from this geographical anomaly called Nigeria.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by FSU: 7:08pm On Oct 06, 2007
davidylan:

Keep discovering more oil wells to "share" with your enemies up north. The west will reserve their oil until such a time as we can split from this geographical anomaly called Nigeria.

Can the west really split from Nigeria.? I think they lack the guts to do that.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 06, 2007
FSU:

Can the west really split from Nigeria.? I think they lack the guts to do that.

That's what frustrates me the most about being from the West. Why cant they just use their heads and realise that the toast is burning?

I keep wondering what our nation would have been like to have benefited from an Awolowo, Abiola, Falae, Bola Ige presidency with Gani as Justice minister instead of these cattle rearing thieves and mauraders.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by grafikdon: 7:31pm On Oct 06, 2007
Britain will roll out their 'Saldin' and 'Saracen'. . . Russia will bring back their 'MIG-17'. . . perhaps US will remember their retired 'B-28'. . . just to keep Nigeria confused. . . errrr. . . I mean, 'United'. I am not sure that break up thingy is happening so soon. . . cool
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by babasin(m): 9:23pm On Oct 06, 2007
Britain will roll out their 'Saldin' and 'Saracen'. . . Russia will bring back their 'MIG-17'. . . perhaps US will remember their retired 'B-28'. . . just to keep Nigeria confused. . . errrr. . . I mean, 'United'. I am not sure that break up thingy is happening so soon

Nothing can stop a movement' , whose time has come.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by grafikdon: 10:26pm On Oct 06, 2007
babasin:

Nothing can stop a movement' , whose time has come.

True, but they will try to 'unite' us. . . and that is when they will burn. . . since their ulterior motive is visible to the blind and audible to the dead.
Re: Belgium To Split; Why Cant Nigeria? by Playera(f): 5:43am On Jan 14, 2012
You are so right!! Tribalism, Nepotism, Fraud, Ignorance, embezzlement are all a killer of National Unity. As long as there are the aforementioned reasons like you said, Nigeria will not succeed. The British created Nigeria because they had a fore site that the North is good for the south and the South is good for the North, but unfortunately it is taking a lifetime for Nigerians to understand the underlying principle in the creation of Nigeria. For any economy to succeed it has to be diversified and Nigeria has a lot of other resources other than the oil. Should the mass turn their back on the oil money and explore other available resources, Nigeria would succeed. PREJUDICE IS A RESULT OF IGNORANCE.

(1) (Reply)

Photo:south African Artist Make Artwork Of President Zuma Having Sex Wit Mandela / Rwanda: The New African Dawn (pix) / Londoners Protest Over The Cost-of-living-crisis due to Russia sanctions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.