Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:12 PM

Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? (5800 Views)

4 Erotic Zones That Excites Women More Than The center of gravity / Are SS & Igbo Women More Beautiful Than Yoruba Women? / Are White Women More Faithful Than Black Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Jenifa1: 8:01pm On Dec 26, 2011
Why do most of us have this idealistic notion of how things were in the "olden days"
we say women were more well behaved and virtuous "back in the days."

Do you really think that this is true?

I'm currently reading a book first published in 1875 and found a quote from the book.
The author was complaining about lack of ideal or perfect women. All the women about town were fake.

Here I am, shocked and in disbelief.
I thought women were perfect back then. right?  cheesy
they were our mother's mothers and great great grand mothers afterall.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by NegroNtns(m): 8:07pm On Dec 26, 2011
Women are still virtous even today. What we detest in our women is onlly a reflection of our own immorality and perversion for their bodies. We demand it, they supply it! We can influence the manner in which the exchange occur simply by modifying our own approach and approval. Women are fine, men are just bad and hell bent on staying bad! grin
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 26, 2011
Absolutely not.

People just kept their mouths shut about their private lives, affairs, and practices
more (much more) than we do nowadays.

Even back then in 1875 things were changing. Back then a woman who wore fake hair, nails, etc were
p0stitutes however some women admired the look and started wearing the other wise scorned attire
in public.

Every generation is appalled at the one that comes next which is hilarious. I am 23 and very sad for my younger sister who is 13's generation  grin it's just the way of the world. It is true that our values and morals
have plummeted but there has always been scandal where there are people.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by slimyem: 9:42pm On Dec 26, 2011
there's nothing that was back in the days that isnt is now.there just might be little differences here and there.
As it was in the beginning,is now,and ever shall be world without end.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by hbabe(f): 9:58pm On Dec 26, 2011
Women were not allowed to express themselves then, so majority of their activities were done in secret
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 26, 2011
slimyem:

there's nothing that was back in the days that isnt is now.there just might be little differences here and there.
As it was in the beginning,is now,and ever shall be world without end.

Hope u enjoyed your Christmas smiley
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by slimyem: 10:23pm On Dec 26, 2011
yeah.good but could be better.
Thanks for asking!!
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 26, 2011
Cool smiley Pretty smile on your profile, first time clicking on it lol
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Brite02(m): 11:00pm On Dec 26, 2011
'Back in the days'
women were not virtuous as we would suppose to believe rather every of their doings(prostitutions & the rest) weren't pronounce!
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by pato405(m): 12:25am On Dec 27, 2011
just ask yourself how many women wed today as virgins? how many will luv a man irrespective of his poverty stricken status - if he is poor? how many remain faithful after tieing nuptial knots? how many would give a soft answer to a provocative question/wrath?

women of today strongly believe they know tooo much!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Jenifa1: 12:38am On Dec 27, 2011
pato405:

just ask yourself how many women wed today as virgins? how many will luv a man irrespective of his poverty stricken status - if he is poor? how many remain faithful after tieing nuptial knots? how many would give a soft answer to a provocative question/wrath? 

sharrap dia.
you will not be alive today if your grandmother married a poverty stricken man.
and if she married as a virgin, then she must have been married at the age of 16 to a rich old man with 4 wives.

thank your lucky stars that doesn't happen today. grin
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by pato405(m): 12:55am On Dec 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

sharrap dia.
you will not be alive today if your grandmother married a poverty stricken man.
and if she married a virgin, then she must have been married at the age of 16 to a rich old man with 4 wives.

thank your lucky stars that doesn't happen today. grin

@Jenifa:

as a matter of fact, back in the good old days, women married men who had n culd boast of only a few baskets and a pair of cutlasses as their treasured possessions as they were sure it could assure them of some coco-yams and cassava with good rainfall  grin grin grin grin. they married virgins with natural beauties (not with fake outfits - brazillian hairs, face-lift bosoms after enlargement surgeries, make-ups e.t.c - if at all you are lucky to find one bacause there are currently none).they listened when men talk, they dont retort angrilly if at all there is need for a reply. On the other hand , today's woman claims to be miss ITK (I too know). she has a reply for everything a man says or do, she wants to advocate for equality with strife. she evaluates a man's success based on the kind of car he drives (some want a Ferrari, Bugatti, Pagani Zonda or Porsche), the cell phone he uses and the mansion he's got. morals and values have been thrown into the air and erratically replaced with quest by feminine folks for materialism and you talk of virtue. mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeew
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Jenifa1: 1:13am On Dec 27, 2011
pato405:

@Jenifa:

as a matter of fact, back in the good old days, women married men who had n culd boast of only a few baskets and a pair of cutlasses as their treasured possessions as they were sure it could assure them of some coco-yams and cassava with good rainfall  grin grin grin grin. they married virgins with natural beauties (not with fake outfits - brazillian hairs, face-lift bosoms after enlargement surgeries, make-ups e.t.c - if at all you are lucky to find one bacause there are currently none).they listened when men talk, they dont retort angrilly if at all there is need for a reply. On the other hand , today's woman claims to be miss ITK (I too know). she has a reply for everything a man says or do, she wants to advocate for equality with strife. she evaluates a man's success based on the kind of car he drives (some want a Ferrari, Bugatti, Pagani Zonda or Porsche), the cell phone he uses and the mansion he's got. morals and values have been thrown into the air and erratically replaced with quest by feminine folks for materialism and you talk of virtue. mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeew

yea right.
besides, women didn't marry men by their choice. their parents choose their husbands for them. and they married very young. hence d reason why virginity was more important. imagine marrying a 14 yr old. their husbands were basically their fathers' age.  I bet they couldn't even refer to their husbands by name etc.  grin talkless of talk back. and the richer the husband, the better. In fact, many parents will marry their daughters off to a rich man with a big farm even if he already had 10 wives.

we ought to develop a time machine to transport you back to 1875 and see which parent will dash their daughter to your poverty stricken [i]as[/i]s   grin
thank your lucky stars for today's age. where poor man can marry. plenty housegirls and omo alata will gladly marry you. aren't you happy?
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by pato405(m): 1:31am On Dec 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

yea right.

we ought to develop a time machine to transport you back to 1875 and see which parent will dash their daughter to your poverty stricken [i]as[/i]s   grin
thank your lucky stars for today's age. where poor man can marry. plenty housegirls and omo alata will gladly marry you. aren't you happy?

transporting back to 1875 isn't the case here! just for your records, no man then wished to be married and never had one. virgins were everywhere for anyone that cared and not many guys would foolishly embark on suicide mission simply because he looked forward to having just 9 after blowing himself and others up.  grin grin grin grin grin . see why today's decadence also contributes to the alarming rates of bombings. thanks to you ladies who wouldnt close your legs. virgins are now so rare that some idiots would want to blow themselves up on a glimmer of hope of having one grin grin gringrin.

Again, values, morality and virtue should be ageless and timeless, so transporting or teleporting to 1875 is just unnecessary here,  irrespective of the era we find ourselves, these qualities ought to be preserved. your b*tchy Bottom and silly orientation about these values seems deplorable. angry angry angry angry not surprised tho tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Jenifa1: 1:45am On Dec 27, 2011
pato405:

transporting back to 1875 isn't the case here! just for your records, no man then wished to be married and never had one. virgins were everywhere for anyone that cared and not many guys would foolishly embark on suicide mission simply because he looked forward to having just 9 after blowing himself and others up.  grin grin grin grin grin . see why today's decadence also contributes to the alarming rates of bombings. thanks to you ladies who wouldnt close your legs. virgins are now so rare that some idiots would want to blow themselves up on a glimmer of hope of having one grin grin gringrin.

Again, values, morality and virtue should be ageless and timeless, so transporting or teleporting to 1875 is just unnecessary here,  irrespective of the era we find ourselves, these qualities ought to be preserved. your b*tchy Bottom and silly orientation about these values seems deplorable. angry angry angry angry not surprised tho tongue tongue tongue tongue

also, back then,
men didn't get cheap/easy access to [i]s[/i]ex as they do now. all the women were virtuous virgins afterall.
so to have [i]se[/i]x they had to work hard, make money and get married.

kinda like chinese men nowadays. that's why they are so hardworking. it's arranged marriage. parents want a rich man for their daughters.
so, no money, no woman/wife.

so please let's teleport you to 1875. you need some lessons in hardwork and responsibility. cool
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by pato405(m): 1:52am On Dec 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

so please let's teleport you to 1875. you need some lessons in hardwork and responsibility. cool

Naaaaaaaa grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. no woman these days is worth any man's hardwork and responsibility. hahahahahahahaha. una no worth am one bit. u all are fake. all of una cheap well well. dey have all been defiled. not worth it at all. heheheheee grin grin grin grin
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Jenifa1: 1:55am On Dec 27, 2011
^

let's transport you back now? so you can live among the virtuous women of 1875.  cool
virtuous women who will prefer a poverty stricken hobo over a rich man.
let's take you back to those good times.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Nobody: 2:52am On Dec 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

Why do most of us have this idealistic notion of how things were in the "olden days"

I'm currently reading a book first published in 1875 and this is a quote from the book:
"Where will you find the perfect woman now? Not in the parti-coloured, over-dressed creature—the thing of shreds and patches—with false hair, false colour, false eyebrows, false everything."

Your details of this 1875 book are rather incomplete. First off, we do not know in which country it was published or who the author is. Second, what initial biases does the author have and how much of that influenced his writing. All this should help in ascertaining if indeed there is any reason to believe your book.
However, the argument that women were more virtuous in centuries past requires defining what "virtues" really are. Apparently, virtues are not so rigidly defined. They take shape with age and must be necessarily redefined in the face of social and technological development. Having said that, contrasting socio-economic development over the past years, I think one can make the argument that women of past centuries might not have been as virtuous as their centuries demanded, but were certainly more virtuous than the next centuries demand. People who then advance the aforementioned argument do so because they have no aposteriori knowledge of how previous centuries worked, and thus could only argue from their limited standpoint. Is this correct?
In addition, older wines taste better. Perhaps, this provides reason to glorify past days and indulge nostalgia, especially as modernity plagues us with wars, AIDS and Gadhafi's ghost!
For me, somewhat, there appears no real truth in the claim that women of old were more virtuous.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by freecocoa(f): 3:36am On Dec 27, 2011
More virtuous my left butt cheek,most of what's happening now started back then.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Jenifa1: 3:43am On Dec 27, 2011
sauer:

Your details of this 1875 book are rather incomplete. First off, we do not know in which country it was published or who the author is. Second, what initial biases does the author have and how much of that influenced his writing. All this should help in ascertaining if indeed there is any reason to believe your book.

the belief in "good old days" is a universal one.
irrespective of country. most people feel that things were always better in the past
now see this author in 1875 complaining about the lack of virtuous women. cheesy

freecocoa:

More virtuous my left butt cheek,most of what's happening now started back then.

cheesy
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Jenifa1: 3:57am On Dec 27, 2011
sauer:

In addition, older wines taste better. Perhaps, this provides reason to glorify past days and indulge nostalgia, especially as modernity plagues us with wars, AIDS and Gadhafi's ghost!
For me, somewhat, there appears no real truth in the claim that women of old were more virtuous.

we should glorify the past because old wine taste better?
does old jollof rice taste better? what about old eba and egusi soup?
wine is about the only thing that tastes better old. nothing else does!! cheesy

today we have AIDS, in the past we had things like simple flu killing millions. out of every 10 children born in the past, at least 6 died before age 5.
they had their own serious problems jare.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by slimyem: 8:42am On Dec 27, 2011
REALITY101:

Cool smiley Pretty smile on your profile, first time clicking on it lol
awww, my cheeks are so red right now.
Thanks!!!
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Nobody: 9:19am On Dec 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

we should glorify the past because old wine taste better?
Didnt say to glorify the past because old wine tastes better. I only drew a parallel there. I think, women of "back in the days" will probably be considered more virtuous when regarded by today's men. . . . That however doesn't make them "virtuous". Is that an argument? undecided
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 27, 2011
I don't believe in the past and I don't live in one in the first case. Maybe they were but I like modern women!
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2011
Are you kidding me ? Hell NO !! Women were worse and so were men. over 2000 yrs ago, LESBIANS and HOMOSEXUALS were everywhere. Polygamy and polyandry was a practice of the brave. Wars were fought to conquer the most beautiful women. The women were more sexy and less demaning. If you think I lie, Ask your Bible about the theories about Soddom and that of Gomorrah.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by ifyalways(f): 3:43pm On Dec 27, 2011
Yes,they are! And that's COS men then were more responsible unlike the plenty loafers we have today. Men back in the days were not moved by BB pin, brazillian wigs,low waist jeans. They mended their wives roof, brought home big yams and coco yams, rose early to check their traps and farms, fulfilled every of their marital roles. Compare that with what's obtained today. Men ignore the pretty decent babes for the ones with flashy wigs, big cars and fat jobs, some go as far as sitting tight on their silly ASSs waiting for a sister to come feed them.
It all boils down to demand and supply. Men demand, women supply.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by chinnyonwu(m): 3:58pm On Dec 27, 2011
Uwa mmebi.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 27, 2011
ifyalways:

Yes,they are! And that's COS men then were more responsible unlike the plenty loafers we have today. Men back in the days were not moved by BB pin, brazillian wigs,low waist jeans. They mended their wives roof, brought home big yams and coco yams, rose early to check their traps and farms, fulfilled every of their marital roles. Compare that with what's obtained today. Men ignore the pretty decent babes for the ones with flashy wigs, big cars and fat jobs, some go as far as sitting tight on their silly ASSs waiting for a sister to come feed them.
It all boils down to demand and supply. Men demand, women supply.
Thank you jare, I see lots of innocent old school girls with few men looking their way while the flashy ones have plenty toasters intact the flashy girls with fake hair who can't even remember when they lost their virginity end up even snagging the best husbands. Eventually the innocent natural girl realizes that it isn't worth it and a lot just give in and join the flow. Virtuous women are plenty just go to the right places e. g SU churches and stop looking for the girls in the club.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by buzugee(m): 4:47pm On Dec 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Women are still virtous even today. What we detest in our women is onlly a reflection of our own immorality and perversion for their bodies. We demand it, they supply it! We can influence the manner in which the exchange occur simply by modifying our own approach and approval. Women are fine, men are just bad and hell bent on staying bad! grin
WELL SAID grin boys want coochie but grumble about womens virtues when they give up the coochie. talk about shooting your own self in the foot cheesy
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by frenchman2: 5:39pm On Dec 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

I'm currently reading a book first published in 1875 and found a quote from the book.
The author was complaining about lack of ideal or perfect women. All the women about town were fake.

Perfect?
Looking for a perfect human being? let me know when you find one.
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by kizito96(m): 6:28pm On Dec 27, 2011
No Comparison between women in those day and the beats we have now
Re: Were Women More Virtuous "back In The Days"? by dasparrow: 6:42pm On Dec 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Women are still virtous even today.  What we detest in our women is onlly a reflection of our own immorality and perversion for their bodies.  We demand it, they supply it!  We can influence the manner in which the exchange occur simply by modifying our own approach and approval.  Women are fine, men are just bad and hell bent on staying bad!  grin  

Thank you sir. I agree.

pato405:

Let's not talk about virgins here. Who is doing the disvirgining? Is it not men? How many Nigerian men are willing to date their girlfriend and not touch her until they get married to her? I know of some women who are still single because they refuse to fornicate or engage in premarital intimacy. If men want virgins, then let's stop the rape of our female children, stop the rape of our young girls and university students. Stop pressuring our women to get pregnant first as a condition for marraige, stop pressuring our women to engage in sexual acts during the courtship or boyfriend/girlfriend period. In regards to the poverty stricken status, I watched as many of our mothers who are now in their 50s and 60s stood by our fathers when they had nothing. But lo and behold, the minute the man/husband became wealthy, it was time to acquire mistresses and concubines all over the place to prove to society that they had arrived. There is no point sticking it out with the average naija male when he is broke because once he makes it big, the polygamous side of him comes out in full swing. Infidelity becomes the norm. If you want to be treated like a king, treat your spouse like a queen. However, if you want a miserable, resentful, scornful woman who will leave you when the going goes tough, treat your spouse like a glorified housemaid void of any love and natural affection from her man. Lastly, if you have an overwhelmingly negative perception of the opposite gender, it is best not to date or marry because your thoughts become words and your words become action. It is impossible to treat another human being with [b]un[/b]conditional love if you have nothing but an extremely negative perception of the person due to their gender.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

‎6 Things Men In Love Do (how To Know If He Really Loves You) / I Cudnt Sleep Again Friends I Need Ur Help. / Help My Bf Is Pushing Me To Marry Other Suitors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.