Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,835 members, 7,802,673 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

Eledumare Grant Me The Wisdom Of Wole Soyinka - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Eledumare Grant Me The Wisdom Of Wole Soyinka (1368 Views)

The Plain Concept Of Eledumare And Orisas With The Reality Behind Them / Wole Soyinka Posing With Traditional GODS (Picture) / Why Did Yoruba People Leave ELEDUMARE For The God Of Jesus And Allah? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eledumare Grant Me The Wisdom Of Wole Soyinka by Dios(f): 3:56am On Oct 04, 2007
Soyinka decries religious extremism
From Charles Coffie-Gyamfi, Abeokuta

NOBEL Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, yesterday remarked that fundamentalism is one of the major problems confronting the world today.

Soyinka who spoke in Abeokuta, Ogun State, decried religious intolerance, stating that religious fundamentalism and refusal to tolerate each others, religious beliefs have caused a lot of instability in many nations of the world.

Soyinka, who spoke as a special guest at the formal inauguration of World Festival of Yoruba Arts and Culture, wondered why some religious faithful are intolerant to the extent that they go about destroying Yoruba shrines.

The Nobel laurate, an avowed believer in Yoruba culture said: " "We (Yoruba) have no problem with other cultures, it is other cultures which, for reason of insecurity may be, have problem, with Yoruba culture."

He stated that while " Yoruba religion" had never waged war against any religion, he was not aware of any other religions that had not waged holy war against any community in the world."

Said he: "Yoruba religion has never declared Jihad against any god."

He expressed concern that in a multi-cultural, and multi-religious country like Nigeria, which has about 250 ethnic groups, some religious faithful will go about destroying traditional places of worship, "shrines that are not practising any evil."
[b][/b]Soyinka added: "Fundamentalism, bigotry and intolerance are the problems of the world today.

"It is this conduct of intolerance or arrogance that is responsible for 50 per cent of this world's upheavals," the Nobel laureate stated.

According to him there is so much religious tolerance in Brazil and Cuba to the extent that the effigy of St. Anthony is placed side- by-side with that of Ogun (Yoruba divinity of iron) on the church pulpit.

Still emphasising the need for religious tolerance, he said: "My colleague, Chinua Achebe, wrote in one of his books that the Hawk shall perch, the Eagle shall perch and whoever says the other shall not perch let its Peak break."

At the programme organised by the Alaroye Group of Newspapers, Soyinka was decorated as Global Ambassador, while the Publisher, Mr. Alao Adedayo, disclosed that the programme was organised to promote and revive Yoruba's dying culture.

According to, it would be rotated among the Yoruba states.

The guest speaker, at the event, Prof. Akinwunmi Isola, in his speech blamed the dying of Yoruba culture on the Yoruba elites who now prefer to speak English to their children instead of the Yoruba language.

Eminent Yoruba personalities at the event were representatives of the Lagos and Ekiti state governors.

Others were Dr. Lateef Adegbite, Prince Bola Ajibola, (SAN) Alake of Egbaland, Oba Adedotun Gbadebo, Olowo of Owo, Oba Olateru Olagbegi and Real Admiral Akin Aduwo (rtd), among others.
Re: Eledumare Grant Me The Wisdom Of Wole Soyinka by Seun(m): 4:01am On Oct 04, 2007
Source?
Re: Eledumare Grant Me The Wisdom Of Wole Soyinka by Dios(f): 5:22am On Oct 04, 2007
Don't know how to do the source thing but it's on this website www.nigeriaworld.com and the guardian newspaper, vanguard and this day. There are links for all three.
Re: Eledumare Grant Me The Wisdom Of Wole Soyinka by IDINRETE: 9:06am On Oct 04, 2007
why not the wisdom of solomon?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

so you think the wisdom of Kongi surpasses that of mr randy en grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Is The Christian Trinity Biblical? / Brother Franklin At Offering Time / Adoration Ministry That Cares For The Poor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.