Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,178 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service (10807 Views)

Church Locks Out Commercial Sex Workers From New Year’s Eve Service / Check Out Pastor Chris Okotie's Fleet Of Cars (Photos) / An Experience At Pastor Chris Okotie’s Church In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by Afam4eva(m): 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2011
Bomb Scare: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service  print

Churches in Lagos may not witness the usual crowd which had become the hallmark of every New Year eve service.

Chris OKotie

This year, some Christians have said they will avoid churches and other crowded areas following the series of blasts which marred the Christmas Day celebration in some states of the federation.

For fear of losing church members, many big churches are considering cancelling the cross-over night service.

P.M.NEWS learnt that Reverend Chris Okotie of the Lagos-based Household of God Church has cancelled the night service since he does not want to endanger the lives of his members.

Okotie was reported to have directed his followers to pray in the safety of their homes rather than risk being bombed by a fundamentalist sect.

A cross-section of Lagosians, who spoke with P.M.NEWS did not only express their fears, they also warned other Nigerians to avoid such crowded places as no part of the country could be described as safe again.

They also slammed President Goodluck Jonathan and the governors for collecting huge sums as security votes whereas they leave the country’s citizens to their fate in view of the security challenges Nigeria is currently witnessing.

Chinedu Obiora, a Lagos resident and banker, while speaking with P.M. NEWS, said there was no way the churches would witness the usual large attendance.

According to him, despite the religious inclination of Nigerians, nobody would want to have his or her life snuffed out for no just cause.

“There are causes to die for sometimes, but in a situation where you don’t even know why the bombs are detonated or the grievances of those perpetrating these acts, why would you not be scared?

“If I may ask you, Mr. Reporter, will you have the courage to attend church service that day?

“Believe me, those who would go to churches would just be putting their lives on the line. So for me, I don’t believe I must be in church that day.

Another resident, Mrs. Christiana Oduns, said she had warned those close to her to avoid attending any church service on New Year eve.

According to her, even the State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, had warned the people of the State to be security conscious.

“I heard it on radio that Fashola was warning Lagosians to avoid dangerous spots and be security conscious.

“If the Boko Haram guys could bomb a church, it means churches have been classified as dangerous spots.

“Anyone who attends church service does so at his own risk oh! As for me, I don’t want to die now. So I will see and enjoy the New Year,” she said.

Joshua Oshobugie, an Edo State indigene based in Lagos, explained that ordinarily, the ideal thing is to be in church to thank God with other faithful for the surviving the year.

He said the country’s situation no longer calls for it.

“We now live in hopelessness. Even in our houses, we sleep with both eyes opened not to now talk of going for a service.

“I can tell you that those who would have the courage to attend, would not hear a bit of the teaching for the night. All they would bother about is the security of the area and themselves.

“What is the essence of attending when you would be there filled with suspicion against those sitting close to you? If anything happens, where will you run to that night?” he asked.

Mr. Ikechukwu Eze, a spare parts dealer in the state, told P.M.NEWS that the New Year eve worship would take place in his house with his family coming together rather than attending any church service.

He affirmed that some churches had started cancelling the service for that night, adding that it was the best thing to do since the pastors, just like the government, cannot provide adequate security for the people.

He said: “In fact, this is the best time to ask our President and governors what they have been doing with the billions of naira they allocate to themselves as security votes.

“The votes were supposed to be used to address security issues like this, but what do we see? The only thing the governors do is to send condolence messages and trade blames when such incidents occur.”

He called on Nigerians to protect themselves and avoid getting involved in “pitiable incidents” like the one which took place on Christmas day in some parts of the country as “we don’t have a government but just people securing our votes to loot the country blind.”

The Catholic Bishop of Minna, Most Rev. Martin Uzokwu, has cancelled all New Year Eve services in Madalla and its environs.

He called on Catholic faithful to meet by 4pm and pray ahead if the New Year.

“I am directing all parishes in this Kwanmba deaconry, including Madalla, not to hold all night mass as our practice, in view of the time we are in.

“On December 31, mass should hold by 4pm to thank God for the outgoing year and everybody will observe the pass over night with their families. We are to converge again for Sunday service on January 1st. Nobody is allowed to sleep in the church during this period,” he said.

Nigerian churches had always witnessed a huge turn-out of people on New Year eve as the majority of the people including non-Christians prefer spending the first day of the year in churches.

Boko Haram, the dreaded group which claimed responsibility for the Christmas Day bombing, has also warned Nigerians against crowded places including churches and Nigerians are no longer taking such threats lightly.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/12/30/bomb-scare-we-wont-attend-new-year-eve-service-okotie-cancels-programme/
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by otokx(m): 4:38pm On Dec 30, 2011
Boko Haram is spoiling some peoples business.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 30, 2011
[b][/b]There is an unconfirmed information which has emanated from the Hausa community and has apparently been on BBC Hausa. The information is citing some threats from Boko Haram to bomb Lagos on January 1, and it is being termed in their local language as 'the mother of all bombings'. 

You are all advised to take all possible steps to secure your offices. At the personal level, please try to stay away from night clubs, cinemas, places of worship and other crowded places in Lagos.  Best regards,
  Ramesh Singh
   Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO)
UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS)
  Lagos, Nigeria
   Cell: 234-(0)-803 403 51 85
            Tele/fax: 234-(0)-12 711 304
            Email:
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by Pharoh: 5:13pm On Dec 30, 2011
I don't think any form of bombing is coming down south anytime soon but all the same precaution is better than falling knowing into the enemies trap.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by victorazy(m): 9:14am On Dec 31, 2011
Pastor afraid to die in his father's house? No in hurry to die to meet God? Oh generation of hypocrites and foolishness.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by eghost247(m): 9:22am On Dec 31, 2011
Best thing to do too bad though i remember the massive crowds in front of churches and mosques in nigeria
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by logica(m): 9:23am On Dec 31, 2011
You mean, they can't pray about it and bind the "Demons of Boko-Haram"?
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by Sike(m): 9:29am On Dec 31, 2011
No body wan die. . . But dem wan reach heaven! HOW?? SMH
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by isquar3d3(m): 9:38am On Dec 31, 2011
Deeper life bible church has also brought 4ward its service frm d conventional nite service to 4p.m-7p.m dis evening. Prevention is beta dan cure.
logica:

You mean, they can't pray about it and bind the "Demons of Boko-Haram"?
Evn Jesus, wen he heard about d plot to assasinate him, he took d nxt available ship out of dat city. There r times like these.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by dustydee: 9:38am On Dec 31, 2011
Does that mean Boko haram is winning?
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by logica(m): 9:42am On Dec 31, 2011
isquar3d3:

about d plot to assasinate him, he took d nxt available ship out of dat city. There r times like these.
LOL. But I thought Jesus was so eager to be used as a sacrificial lamb? But belief apart, analysis of the whole event showed Jesus knew he had it coming and had resigned himself to fate.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by eghost247(m): 9:44am On Dec 31, 2011
dustydee:

Does that mean Boko haram is winning?
is it not better to be safe than sorry?
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by wesley80(m): 9:46am On Dec 31, 2011
What next after this, Cancel Sunday services over perceived threats?
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by born2boink(m): 9:48am On Dec 31, 2011
Boko haram are winning the Church battle and now waiting on God to intervene and fight for the churches or else sinners will multiple and the devil will add more people his hell fire kingdom, Boko haram are angels of devil
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by Pain(m): 10:16am On Dec 31, 2011
The Attendant Impact is Less Revenue I Guess.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by OmoPastor(m): 10:27am On Dec 31, 2011
@ poster and all those talking trash about the churches that shifted service. here in Abuja my church is not shifting nothing. if you think bh is winning now, then wait until the muslims have their celebrations next year its surely going to be pay back time, no mercy. evil does not overcome good, darkness does not overcome light! God has given them a very long rope to pull, its judgement time. the anger and wrath of God is now on bh and its supporters and sponsors. they will bury their children with their
http://www.nairaland.com
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by member67023: 10:37am On Dec 31, 2011
Hypocrites that are afraid to die.
In some parts of Middle East & Asia, christians are being persecuted daily and here in Nigeria, a pastor is cancelling worship service in Lagos because of boko haram in the North.
O men of little faith.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by logica(m): 10:39am On Dec 31, 2011
OmoPastor:

then wait until the muslims have their celebrations next year its surely going to be pay back time, no mercy. blah blah blah
You seem to forget that the same purported Boko-Haram attacked Muslims during their celebration.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by member67023: 10:42am On Dec 31, 2011
Remember the joke, "who wants to take a bullet for Jesus?"
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 31, 2011
Christianity a.k.a Cowardice

So David can run from Goliath
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by murphy02(m): 10:53am On Dec 31, 2011
These people have killed alot of muslims, imams even during ramadan, yet some people still believe their propagating islam, boko haram is highly a political issue the wise one knows that.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by itiswell1(m): 10:55am On Dec 31, 2011
See wetin boko haram don cause for this country o.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 31, 2011
LeoMax:

So in your silly opinion , lives should be sacrificed in the face of evidential threats.

SMH as such logic.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by PHIPEX(m): 11:00am On Dec 31, 2011
nakedwire:

Hypocrites that are afraid to die.
In some parts of Middle East & Asia, christians are being persecuted daily and here in Nigeria, a pastor is cancelling worship service in Lagos because of boko haram in the North.
O men of little faith.

If churches in Lagos have suddenly developed a cold feet to hold their services what then do they expect the Churches in the North to do? does this not show that we are more of bread and butter Christians? Why then do we blame the Disciples that left Jesus when He was arrested afterall according this our logic, Its better safe than be sorry?
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by eghost247(m): 11:01am On Dec 31, 2011
LeoMax:

so u want people to risk their life with the current situation?
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by patuwa2(m): 11:08am On Dec 31, 2011
The BoKo Harams are not spirit, they are human. The Boko Harams dont live on sky but they live on land and with humans and they live in Nigeria within us. The Hausas that claims not to be involved shuould fish them out. They know them very well, they live within them. They should not let this turn into something else. The Christians might someday turn against the Hausas here in lagos, destroying lives and property in revenge, believing that the Hausas brethren are the Boko Harams.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by stagger: 11:08am On Dec 31, 2011
Kudos! Shows maturity on the part of Pastor Okotie and concern for his members. Besides, is it necessary for people to be in church for crossover night?

When I was a kid, all our New Year's eve nights were spent in family prayers, after which we would go to church on January 1st. It was good for our family as we had a chance to talk about ways in which we could improve family relationships going into the new year, and then we would cap it up with prayers. Worked wonders.

For me, it makes more sense to spend Dec 31st that way.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by saintneo(m): 11:10am On Dec 31, 2011
anti-xtian comments are very hilarious.

can someone tell me why Jesus was carried away to Egypt by his parents when Herod was killing every male baby?
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by logica(m): 11:26am On Dec 31, 2011
saintneo:

can someone tell me why Jesus was carried away to Egypt by his parents when Herod was killing every male baby?
Because his parents were not Christians? Or because they didn't know they could pray to God?
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by thehomer: 11:28am On Dec 31, 2011
afam4eva:

Bomb Scare: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service  print

Churches in Lagos may not witness the usual crowd which had become the hallmark of every New Year eve service.

Chris OKotie

This year, some Christians have said they will avoid churches and other crowded areas following the series of blasts which marred the Christmas Day celebration in some states of the federation.

For fear of losing church members, many big churches are considering cancelling the cross-over night service.

P.M.NEWS learnt that Reverend Chris Okotie of the Lagos-based Household of God Church has cancelled the night service since he does not want to endanger the lives of his members.

Okotie was reported to have directed his followers to pray in the safety of their homes rather than risk being bombed by a fundamentalist sect.

A cross-section of Lagosians, who spoke with P.M.NEWS did not only express their fears, they also warned other Nigerians to avoid such crowded places as no part of the country could be described as safe again.

They also slammed President Goodluck Jonathan and the governors for collecting huge sums as security votes whereas they leave the country’s citizens to their fate in view of the security challenges Nigeria is currently witnessing.

Chinedu Obiora, a Lagos resident and banker, while speaking with P.M. NEWS, said there was no way the churches would witness the usual large attendance.

According to him, despite the religious inclination of Nigerians, nobody would want to have his or her life snuffed out for no just cause.

“There are causes to die for sometimes, but in a situation where you don’t even know why the bombs are detonated or the grievances of those perpetrating these acts, why would you not be scared?

“If I may ask you, Mr. Reporter, will you have the courage to attend church service that day?

“Believe me, those who would go to churches would just be putting their lives on the line. So for me, I don’t believe I must be in church that day.

Another resident, Mrs. Christiana Oduns, said she had warned those close to her to avoid attending any church service on New Year eve.

According to her, even the State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, had warned the people of the State to be security conscious.

“I heard it on radio that Fashola was warning Lagosians to avoid dangerous spots and be security conscious.

“If the Boko Haram guys could bomb a church, it means churches have been classified as dangerous spots.

“Anyone who attends church service does so at his own risk oh! As for me, I don’t want to die now. So I will see and enjoy the New Year,” she said.

Joshua Oshobugie, an Edo State indigene based in Lagos, explained that ordinarily, the ideal thing is to be in church to thank God with other faithful for the surviving the year.

He said the country’s situation no longer calls for it.

“We now live in hopelessness. Even in our houses, we sleep with both eyes opened not to now talk of going for a service.

“I can tell you that those who would have the courage to attend, would not hear a bit of the teaching for the night. All they would bother about is the security of the area and themselves.

“What is the essence of attending when you would be there filled with suspicion against those sitting close to you? If anything happens, where will you run to that night?” he asked.

Mr. Ikechukwu Eze, a spare parts dealer in the state, told P.M.NEWS that the New Year eve worship would take place in his house with his family coming together rather than attending any church service.

He affirmed that some churches had started cancelling the service for that night, adding that it was the best thing to do since the pastors, just like the government, cannot provide adequate security for the people.

He said: “In fact, this is the best time to ask our President and governors what they have been doing with the billions of naira they allocate to themselves as security votes.

“The votes were supposed to be used to address security issues like this, but what do we see? The only thing the governors do is to send condolence messages and trade blames when such incidents occur.”

He called on Nigerians to protect themselves and avoid getting involved in “pitiable incidents” like the one which took place on Christmas day in some parts of the country as “we don’t have a government but just people securing our votes to loot the country blind.”

The Catholic Bishop of Minna, Most Rev. Martin Uzokwu, has cancelled all New Year Eve services in Madalla and its environs.

He called on Catholic faithful to meet by 4pm and pray ahead if the New Year.

“I am directing all parishes in this Kwanmba deaconry, including Madalla, not to hold all night mass as our practice, in view of the time we are in.

“On December 31, mass should hold by 4pm to thank God for the outgoing year and everybody will observe the pass over night with their families. We are to converge again for Sunday service on January 1st. Nobody is allowed to sleep in the church during this period,” he said.

Nigerian churches had always witnessed a huge turn-out of people on New Year eve as the majority of the people including non-Christians prefer spending the first day of the year in churches.

Boko Haram, the dreaded group which claimed responsibility for the Christmas Day bombing, has also warned Nigerians against crowded places including churches and Nigerians are no longer taking such threats lightly.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/12/30/bomb-scare-we-wont-attend-new-year-eve-service-okotie-cancels-programme/

Has God forsaken these churches? It looks as if Boko Haram has already won the religious battle of wills. These Christians are already running. I wonder what will happen on Easter.

Why can't the man of God ask God to send his angels as bodyguards? After all many of those angels are just lounging away in heaven whiling away time playing with harps. Those angels should go to work.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by thehomer: 11:31am On Dec 31, 2011
Sike:

No body wan die. . . But dem wan reach heaven! HOW?? SMH

A very curious state of affairs I tell you.
Re: Okotie Cancels New Year Eve Service by Lucy001(f): 11:50am On Dec 31, 2011
saintneo:

anti-xtian comments are very hilarious.
Joseph was taken to Egypt n not Jesus correct ur self!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"I Traveled To Mecca And Came Back To Become A Pastor" / Is It Wisdom For Christians To Lie In Some Situations? / Christians And Moslems Can Be Friends!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.