Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,934 members, 7,799,161 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum (4137 Views)

Tribunal Cancels The Election Of Nyesome Wike, INEC To Conduct Fresh Election / Yoruba Group Accuses Buhari Of Pretending To Be A Progressive / Pan-Yoruba Group, Afenifere Endorses Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Ogbonaikenna(m): 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2011
Yoruba group demands secession, calls on UN to conduct referendum
December 27, 2011

- From agency reports/press release -

Only a split of Nigeria into its traditional ethnic groups can save Nigeria from the impending carnage, the Apapo Oodua Koya, (AOKOYA) the Yoruba self determination group has said.

In a statement yesterday, the group said the Christmas Day bombing in Suleja and Jos, shows how vulnerable public institutions are, how helpless the Nigerian security services are and how hopeless the future of the country stands.

AOKOYA said it has embarked in an intensive campaign to realize self determination for Yoruba people and their Itsekiri brothers in a peaceful and civilized manner. “We shall doggedly pursue the realization of Oduduwa republic, where peace, love and brotherhood are the guiding principles.”

The group warned that in spite of the violent campaign by Boko Haram, a military coup is not the answer. “Any attempt to intervene by the military will be met with proportional violence, and that will be disastrous. We warn the military never to use this situation to overthrow the government of the day. In any case, the current awful political and economic situations were caused in part, by years of military rule. ”

The group stated “Today, we stand the risk of going through a violent break-up, which will lead to loss of human lives, but the chances of a peaceful separation of the ethnic groups that are in perpetual conflict with itself are open, though time is running out,” the statement issued in Warri and signed by Mr Olumide Ahmed Bakare and Oritsebigbemi Isaac noted. The group issued the statement after its end of the year meeting held in Warri, delta State. “We call on all worship centres, either Christian or Muslim in the southern part of the country to be cautions, because it is certain that Boko Haram will soon export this terror to the Southern states. its a question of time.”

AOKOYA called on the United Nations, (UN) to sponsor a referendum in the country on self determination, adding that the National Assembly in Abuja will be shocked to discover that Nigerian ethnic nationalities are tired of living together almost 100 years after the country was forcibly merged together in 1914 by foreign powers. “The United Nations must not wait before it is too late. Nigeria is an artificial creation. it has become a burden on its citizens, on the world and it has become of cemetery of dreams for its founding fathers and the citizens alike. This country is made up of ethnic groups with irreconcilable differences. We have had 100 years of trial and error. the result has been death, anguish and the ceaseless flow of human blood.” The UN must organise this ethnic referendum either the current political class that benefit from the rampage likes it or not. The UN must do this to safe human lives and prevent what looks like an inevitable tragedy.”

The Boko Haram sect is exploiting the weakness of the Nigerian state, its corrupt and inept leadership that lack public trust and the already ethnically polarized security formation to carry out strings of successful attacks, this will continue until the country splits into its component parts. AOKOYA urge the Igbo and Yoruba people to close ranks and ensure non-violent disintegration of Nigeria. “Igbo and Yoruba people we must stop the circle of evil, the circle of blame game, from the trauma of Awo to the trauma of the civil war. Igbo and Yoruba people must do this for the sake of generations yet unborn.They must unite against a common threat to their own collective survival.”

“We condemn this Christmas Day attack as callous and irresponsible. We note the conscious attempt to create religious dimension into the political crisis which is basically ethnic. Both Christian ,Southern and Middle Belt Muslims have been victims of Boko Haram attacks. The latest bombing was an attempt to portray Boko Haram as a group that targets only Christians, this the group hopes will swing muslim support to its side. This is a miscalculation on the part of this group.”

AOKOYA said the militant group, Boko Haram is a direct product of the stifling and malicious character of the Nigerian state which specializes in muzzling public opinion with bullets and does not encourage public demonstrations nor deep expression of the traditionally ethnic propelled political forces that are usually isolated from decision making. The statement was signed by Olumide Ahmed Bakar and Oritsebigbemi Isaac of NO 15B, Block 4, Aje House, Ibadan, Oyo State www.ooduarepublic.org
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ShangoThor(m): 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2011
Ogbonaikenna:

The Boko Haram sect is exploiting the weakness of the Nigerian state, its corrupt and inept leadership that lack public trust and the already ethnically polarized security formation to carry out strings of successful attacks, this will continue until the country splits into its component parts. AOKOYA urge the Igbo and Yoruba people to close ranks and ensure non-violent disintegration of Nigeria. “Igbo and Yoruba people we must stop the circle of evil, the circle of blame game, from the trauma of Awo to the trauma of the civil war. Igbo and Yoruba people must do this for the sake of generations yet unborn.They must unite against a common threat to their own collective survival.”

At bloo**dy last. This should have been done months ago, or even years ago, since when the Northern States insisted on practising Sharia under OBJ.

Secularism exists for a reason, how can a whole Nation be so friggin silly.  Everybody knew how this was going to end because you were told.

We need a U.N. Sponsored referendum NOW!
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Obiagu1(m): 9:07pm On Dec 30, 2011
AOKOYA called on the United Nations, (UN) to sponsor a referendum in the country on self determination, adding that the National Assembly in Abuja will be shocked to discover that Nigerian ethnic nationalities are tired of living together almost 100 years after the country was forcibly merged together in 1914 by foreign powers.

AOKOYA urge the Igbo and Yoruba people to close ranks and ensure non-violent disintegration of Nigeria. “Igbo and Yoruba people we must stop the circle of evil, the circle of blame game, from the trauma of Awo to the trauma of the civil war. Igbo and Yoruba people must do this for the sake of generations yet unborn.They must unite against a common threat to their own collective survival.”

AOKOYA said the militant group, Boko Haram is a direct product of the stifling and malicious character of the Nigerian state which specializes in muzzling public opinion with bullets and does not encourage public demonstrations nor deep expression of the traditionally ethnic propelled political forces that are usually isolated from decision making.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by efisher(m): 9:08pm On Dec 30, 2011
Supported!
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Osama10(m): 9:12pm On Dec 30, 2011
Are they just realizing?
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Onlytruth(m): 9:13pm On Dec 30, 2011

AOKOYA said the militant group, [size=14pt]Boko Haram is a direct product of the stifling and malicious character of the Nigerian state which specializes in muzzling public opinion with bullets and does not encourage public demonstrations nor deep expression of the traditionally ethnic propelled political forces that are usually isolated from decision making. [/size]The statement was signed by Olumide Ahmed Bakar and Oritsebigbemi Isaac of NO 15B, Block 4, Aje House, Ibadan, Oyo State

I totally agree with the bolded.

Every time the Nigerian state violently represses dissent, it steals the future hope and aspirations of Nigerians.
Intelligent and wise Nigerians must strongly reject violent repressions of political opinions in Nigeria.
A revolution in Nigeria is impossible without us dragging mass murderers in government to the ICC at The Hague.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Obiagu1(m): 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2011
I think those that wrote that piece are very intelligent. Precise, concise and complete with a message as clear as it could be.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by efisher(m): 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2011
Tinubu's / CAN's complete control of SW politics has made the job even easier. That's part of the reason CAN has swallowed Edo State and is seriously strategising for Delta State. ACN would love to be in countrol of (at least) everything west of the River Niger.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by efisher(m): 9:27pm On Dec 30, 2011
Sorry, my post above should read ACN and not CAN.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by EzeUche(m): 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2011
efisher:

Tinubu's / CAN's complete control of SW politics has made the job even easier. That's part of the reason CAN has swallowed Edo State and is seriously strategising for Delta State. ACN would love to be in countrol of (at least) everything west of the River Niger.

Why insert politics in this discussion?

The main point of this article calls for secession. We can worry about the finer points later.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ShangoThor(m): 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

I think those that wrote that piece are very intelligent. Precise, concise and complete with a message as clear as it could be.

I have been screaming about this for months, even over a year only to be heckled. This is not rocket science, this is obvious.

A lot of Nigerians might be well educated, but they are not very INTELLIGENT, that's also the reason why we have never been able to produce 'Super Intelligent' leaders via existing mechanisms used to select members of our Government; furthermore, we are unable to PRE-EMPT the development of counter-productive scenarios in order to prevent these disasters.

I appeal to every citizen to wake up and smell the coffee!
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ektbear: 9:33pm On Dec 30, 2011
I like this.

A UN supervised referendum and peaceful split is the best way to handle the situation.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ShangoThor(m): 9:38pm On Dec 30, 2011
Now lets hear from the tribal bigots that have never had anything meaningful to contribute, but to make sure that both West and East would never collude to contain this situation. Shame on all you FCKERs, you fake b**astards. You have all got blood on your hands. When the order comes from groups like OPC, ACN, MASSOB etc, we will see what you have to say then.

Woe betide you all.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Onlytruth(m): 9:39pm On Dec 30, 2011
The problem is kind of complex, but I would advise this group to get in contact with MASSOB and MEND asap.

After that, they (together with MASSOB and MEND) should demand that members of the national assembly from the west and east respectively should go home and begin a process of consultation that should bolster this effort.

The whole world must be wondering why this call from the west didn't come earlier.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by efisher(m): 9:49pm On Dec 30, 2011
@EzeUche, I think partisan politics has a lot to do with the topic. The reason is that it will be very difficult or near impossible for a PDP led SW to allow such statements as this go unchecked. Even if it slips through to the media, they will shoot it down. But in this case, SW is in the hands of the opposition and they can afford to pretend that they didn't hear nada.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Obiagu1(m): 9:50pm On Dec 30, 2011
ShangoThor:

I have been screaming about this for months, even over a year only to be heckled. This is not rocket science, this is obvious.

A lot of Nigerians might be well educated, but they are not very INTELLIGENT, that's also the reason why we have never been able to produce 'Super Intelligent' leaders via existing mechanisms used to select members of our Government; furthermore, we are unable to PRE-EMPT the development of counter-productive scenarios in order to prevent these disasters.

I appeal to every citizen to wake up and smell the coffee!

It's only a goon that thinks that Nigeria is patchable.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Obiagu1(m): 9:52pm On Dec 30, 2011
Onlytruth:

The problem is kind of complex, but I would advise this group to get in contact with MASSOB and MEND asap.

After that, they (together with MASSOB and MEND) should demand that members of the national assembly from the west and east respectively should go home and begin a process of consultation that should bolster this effort.

The whole world must be wondering why this call from the west didn't come earlier.

Agreed.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by manny4life(m): 9:53pm On Dec 30, 2011
Did it have to take bombings and ethnic backlash for them to consider an Oodua nation? Although, nice piece though, I really liked the part where they called on other tribes to work together for a successful split of this nation. This shows that regardless of our ethnic differences, we still acknowledge each other, work together to achieve a common purpose ---- successful AND peaceful secession of the Republic of Nigeria.  Now they have talked, it remains the walk and actions; who will file the UN petition for referendum? Politicians in the house, does NASS have to first authorize this?  
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ACM10: 10:17pm On Dec 30, 2011
Impossible! angry

Yaribas can't be allowed to separate without shedding blood.

They must shed atleast 3 million lives.

Either they separate violently or they rot in one Nigeria.

Anything short of that is BS.

They can't spill Igbo bloods with black scorpion and his successor "big belly" and demand for a peaceful separation through referendum.

Their kids must die of malnutrition.

Their civilians must be slaughtered(execution style).

Their properties confiscated,

At the end given #5000{equiv. of 20 pounds) to start rebuilding process.

If all the above conditions are not met, then yaribas are nonstarter.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by EzeUche(m): 10:19pm On Dec 30, 2011
ACM10:

Impossible! angry

Yaribas can't be allowed to separate without shedding blood.

They must shed atleast 3 million lives.

Either they separate violently or they rot in one Nigeria.

Anything short of that is BS.

They can't spill Igbo bloods with black scorpion and his successor "big belly" and demand for a peaceful separation through referendum.

Their kids must die of malnutrition.

Their civilians must be slaughtered.

Their properties confiscated,

At the end given #5000{equiv. of 20 pounds) to start rebuilding process.

If all the above conditions are not met, then yaribas are nonstarter.

Excuse me my Igbo brother, but I have to say this. . . SHUT THE HELLL UP!

If the Yoruba want secession, we should celebrate it, because this is what we Igbos have been dreaming about.

Any group that can help us get rid of these Northern parasites is appreciated.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Beaf: 10:23pm On Dec 30, 2011
I am all for their secession, but they should leave out anything to do with Delta state.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Gbawe: 10:25pm On Dec 30, 2011
Part of the distraction that will prevent any Government , headed by materialistic and hedonistic leaders, from doing the right thing is the federal largesse and loot most do not want to give up.

OBJ wanted a third term and Yar Adua virtually preferred to die in power. GEJ, because of his innate character, is certainly not the President to proactively broach the topic of a round table talk where the trusted representatives of all regions can articulate what everyone wants.

Most regions, even if they persevere with one Nigeria, will certainly want more autonomy and more cash to control their own security, direction and pace of development. Those things will never be allowed to happen under a conservative Party (the PDP) fully dedicated to the central control and dissemination of Nigeria's wealth. Good to dream but Nigerians will have to take whatever it is they want. It won't be given to us.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ACM10: 10:31pm On Dec 30, 2011
EzeUche:

Excuse me my Igbo brother, but I have to say this. . . SHUT THE HELLL UP!

If the Yoruba want secession, we should celebrate it, because this is what we Igbos have been dreaming about.

Any group that can help us get rid of these Northern parasites is appreciated.

EzeUche,

Were nwayo. Kedu ka i si akpa agwa otu a?

Kedu ka i si aturu nwanne gi ogu na ama?

A gam agbaghara gi maka na iwe nwanne a dighi aba na okpukpu.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2011
^^^ they should forget about edo state too.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Onlytruth(m): 10:37pm On Dec 30, 2011
Umu Igbo biko onye anula ogu ebe a. Dalu nu.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 30, 2011
chima12:

^^^ they should forget about edo state too.

You will have the option to become a citizen of Arewa Republic, because Edo is coming with us.

Beaf:

I am all for their secession, but they should leave out anything to do with Delta state.

And Delta too.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by manny4life(m): 10:39pm On Dec 30, 2011
LOL, Here comes people fighting for states? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Onlytruth(m): 10:48pm On Dec 30, 2011
manny4life:

LOL, Here comes people fighting for states? cheesy cheesy cheesy

Division will not be easy, but life itself is not easy! People are dying in this unity.
Thousands die every year in this unity. Some countries at war record similar deaths.
Time to tackle this issue is now.

The referendum will not be state based. It would be based on ETHNICITY.
There are identifiable ethnic groups in Nigeria.
Identified groups can then decide to come together and form new nations.
Current Nigerian states are part of the problem. Current states originated as a war stratagem. The creators did so to make Nigeria's division harder. They did not take away our ethnicity though.

This group understands that, as far as I can see.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by JamesDoe: 10:49pm On Dec 30, 2011
I'm not familiar with this group, please share if you have more information on them or their predecessor body.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 30, 2011
JamesDoe:

I'm not familiar with this group, please share if you have more information on them or their predecessor body.

I'm not familiar with them either. I hope they are legit.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Areosapien(f): 10:58pm On Dec 30, 2011
This thread will reach 10 pages grin
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Onlytruth(m): 10:59pm On Dec 30, 2011
Aigbofa:

I'm not familiar with them either. I hope they are legit.

I don't think their legitimacy is an issue here. The ideas in their publication are what matters.
What is the legitimacy of the Nigerian state anyway? A country killing its own.  undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soludo: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Meby Charles Soludo On January 23, 2013 / Monguno: Chadian Helicopters Drop Food, Weapons For Boko Haram Terrorists- Pic / Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.