Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum (4139 Views)

Tribunal Cancels The Election Of Nyesome Wike, INEC To Conduct Fresh Election / Yoruba Group Accuses Buhari Of Pretending To Be A Progressive / Pan-Yoruba Group, Afenifere Endorses Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 30, 2011
@ acm10. Nothing do you.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by dayokanu(m): 11:07pm On Dec 30, 2011
Welcome development.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 30, 2011
Onlytruth:

I don't think their legitimacy is an issue here. The ideas in their publication are what matters.
What is the legitimacy of the Nigerian state anyway? A country killing its own.  undecided

Excuse my scepticism. If I'm going to battle, I need to know who is leading me to it, if only to be sure they are men of conviction. Besides, at this point this "Yoruba Group" could be the creation of the OP for all I know.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Ejine(m): 11:09pm On Dec 30, 2011
It's cool. They're free to do whatever they want.
Just leave Delta out of it.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Ogbonaikenna(m): 11:11pm On Dec 30, 2011
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by manny4life(m): 11:11pm On Dec 30, 2011
Onlytruth:

Division will not be easy, but life itself is not easy! People are dying in this unity.
Thousands die every year in this unity. Some countries at war record similar deaths.
Time to tackle this issue is now.

The referendum will not be state based. It would be based on ETHNICITY.
There are identifiable ethnic groups in Nigeria.
Identified groups can then decide to come together and form new nations.
Current Nigerian states are part of the problem. Current states originated as a war stratagem. The creators did so to make Nigeria's division harder. They did not take away our ethnicity though.

This group understands that, as far as I can see.

Thank you! I hope that the division doesn't pose greater problems that the secession itself because that will cause more issues on its own. Everyone wants to make that decision, that one time decision got to be right so I understand it won't be easy feat but considering how Nigerians are, so patriotic about ethnicity, folks are less likely to back down or give in, I foresee a tug of war --- whoever wins.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Obiagu1(m): 11:14pm On Dec 30, 2011
I don't know how they intend to get the attention of the UN but if they need 5 million signatures on a petition, then they are assured that mine and the rest of my family will be there.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ShangoThor(m): 11:16pm On Dec 30, 2011
Now that we are at WAR, we're about to find out how persuasive  effective bomb detonation campaigns can be on hard and soft targets.

Let's patiently wait for the next wave of bombings, and the smell of charred flesh that will permeate the air!

Let the people decide their own destinies.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 30, 2011
@ OgbonaIkenna

I saw the website. Can you please provide a link to the press release?
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by manny4life(m): 11:23pm On Dec 30, 2011
5million signatures? That's about 3% of our population, IMO, I think it will take more than that. The only way I hope it successfully happens is through the Nigerian Conference of all three arms of govt, States/LG, etc they come to a total consensus and AGREE to parts that Nigeria wants to split peacefully. Hopefully they can file a formal petition with the UN, NOW that will get the attention of the UN and member nations.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by JamesDoe: 11:24pm On Dec 30, 2011
A website, an address and a facebook presence with very little information. Well I suppose cloak and dagger may be necessary for now.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ACM10: 11:26pm On Dec 30, 2011
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 30, 2011
JamesDoe:

A website, an address and a facebook presence with very little information. Well I suppose cloak and dagger may be necessary for now.

I guess so.   cool
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Rgp92: 11:27pm On Dec 30, 2011
A Nigeria with hausa-fulani may be the best thing to happen to Africa in a long time. Do you think UN(aka America) want this?
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Obiagu1(m): 11:32pm On Dec 30, 2011
manny4life:

5million signatures? That's about 3% of our population, IMO, I think it will take more than that. The only way I hope it successfully happens is through the Nigerian Conference of all three arms of govt, States/LG, etc they come to a total consensus and AGREE to parts that Nigeria wants to split peacefully. Hopefully they can file a formal petition with the UN, NOW that will get the attention of the UN and member nations.

5 million signatures is not a joke. Will they need 50% of Nigerians to sign a petition before they consider it?
This is not referendum itself.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ak47mann(m): 11:51pm On Dec 30, 2011
ACM10:

http://www.naijapals.com/modules/naijapals/nigeria/topic,87595.0.html

http://www.elombah.com/index.php/1/hi/world/africa/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9258:bomb-blast-only-a-split-can-stop-violence-in-nigeria-oodua-group&catid=31:general&Itemid=69
comment made from gbengasax from the first article read below,

not a bad idea in totality, if separation is what will give us peace is better "things fall apart". No one is ready to keep enduring loosing his/her family in the name of ONE NIGERIAN which we all knew it has never worked. It is very sad to realized that the freedom We Christian have in some part of the Middle East Countries where Islamic is routed we don't have it in the Northern part of Nigeria. Then where is the oneness, where is the right of being in our country, where is the freedom of religion?

Sending an NYSC from the East, South and West even before the advent of this so called Boko Harams is like risking their life, of course until they return home after the service you never can guarantee their arrival. By and large we've been enduring all this hardship and keep claiming one Nation, I think it is high time we faced the reality and let's called a spade a spade.

It is quite a known secret that even a slowpoke could testify to that "the course of this Bombing and Killing innocent souls in the name of Boko Haram is as a result of Northerners being defeated at the last election". To them ruling of the Country is their right. Then where is the sense of oneness and the common/national interest? I think we should stop deceiving ourselves and face the reality this time around.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Ogbonaikenna(m): 11:54pm On Dec 30, 2011
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 31, 2011
Referendum is not easy to achieve.many ethnic nationalities have been seeking independence the referendum way but even the process of being granted un observer status alone is very tough.they should have started their struggle much earlier than now.time is running out.the politics of referendum is basically that of protecting americas economic,political interest.with the rise of global terrorism,state sponsored/promoted/exported religious terrorism by some nations ie libya,iran; protecting americas security interest has become a key part of referendum/self determination politics.pre 9/11,america may have preferred nigeria the way it is presently but after 9/11,americas policy to nigeria may have witnessed a shift or change.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 31, 2011
Obiagu1:

It's only a goon that thinks that Nigeria is patchable.

Or A Liar and A Hypocrite. . . . or just a straight up dunce!
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 31, 2011
Onlytruth:

A revolution in Nigeria is impossible without us dragging mass murderers in government to the ICC at The Hague.

Or dragging them and their families in the streets with ropes tied around their necks.

A Military Coup is almost inevitable at this point, if history is any judge. But, this time I hope they don't botch it by sparing the enemies of the state that have imposed this suffering on the masses. I doubt Nigerians will complain if our Rivers flowed with their blood.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by ak47mann(m): 12:22am On Dec 31, 2011
i still wonder why "yorubas" still shy-away from things like this topicare they against it undecided undecided
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by JamesDoe: 12:23am On Dec 31, 2011
A military coup at this point in time may be bloody. It would however be naive to not think one may well be in the planning stages.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by MarcAnthon(m): 12:36am On Dec 31, 2011
A welcome development. The marriage of Nigerian ethnic nationalities is clearly a failure and we are nearing that point where we must confront the sad truth that the Nigerian state is a failed state, whether or not the politicians like it. It isn't too far away now.

Better we separate peacefully than have a full-scale war. I shudder to think of the consequences of the later.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 12:51am On Dec 31, 2011
ak47mann:

i still wonder why "yorubas" still shy-away from things like this topicare they against it undecided undecided
  cool cool cool cool grin
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by NegroNtns(m): 5:01am On Dec 31, 2011
No we are not against the call.  We do not act impulsively on political issues with this much weight on it.  You will get responses as time goes and people have had time to talk and share.  The horse goes before the cart, not the other way around.

Personally I would like that West recall its NASS members to vacate government in protest and return home.  If the President cannot command power at the center, then the regions. . . ehm, excuse me,. . . West should reconstitue its own power on the soil. Onward march back to Ibadan, the seat of Oodua govt.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Chubhie: 6:24am On Dec 31, 2011
The blood letting between the hindus and muslims prior to the partion of india is not what i wish for Nigeria. But you cant just predict or permutate the trend itz going to take.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by saintneo(m): 7:41am On Dec 31, 2011
com'on, why the fight on the states to join Yoruba republic? Anioma is going east if any separation starts, the rest depends on the people of Edo, South Delta and Bayelsa.
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by chidyke77(m): 7:51am On Dec 31, 2011
Now some groups are developing the balls wink wink
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 8:30am On Dec 31, 2011
chidyke77:

Now some groups are developing the balls wink wink
You could be wrong. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Nobody: 8:53am On Dec 31, 2011
chima12:

You could be wrong. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Without claiming originality ==>

"Is it possible for this Oduduwa protagonists to go about their collective agenda without trying to rope our people in? What agenda are they pushing this time? [b]Perhaps they are beginning to feel uncomfortable with the progress of the Igbo with a dint of their hard work and want to throw another wrench into their works. [/b]There are important things for us to concern ourselves with at this time; not bring a string of discuss that will only bring us woes when the Yoruba behave true to type."
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by Onlytruth(m): 5:20am On Jan 02, 2012
Is this real in any way, or is it just another hot fart air?
Re: Yoruba Group Demands Secession, Calls On Un To Conduct Referendum by PointB: 6:27am On Jan 02, 2012
Igbos have been on the forefront of the secession march for a very long time. We shall continue pushing for it regardless of what Yoruba does. When our objective matches and interest matches we will cooperate. But putting our hope or aspiration in a Yoruba group - a nondescript one at that - might actually look like a desperate move. i don't particularly 'trust' this move even though I support it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Nigeria's Democracy, Democratic? / Queues Noticed At Petrol Stations In Kano State / What Is Wrong With Igbo Politics In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.