Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed (45468 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Breaking News!!!!!!! : Fuel To Sell At N57/litre ? / Fuel Subsidy Removed - Full Transcript Of Press Release From The Pppra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by vicade(m): 4:30pm On Jan 01, 2012
The economics sounds right. Subsidy will save the government money and investors will come in and build new refineries.The subsidy savings will be used for infrastructure and all that.

In Nigeria of today,this is d worst decision ever cos a new grade of povery has just been created.This government will do absolutely nothing. I believe the subsidy on diesel has been removed for years and what impact has it had on the masses really or infrastructure ?

If you don't know IMF supported SAP which was excellent on paper and we all know what happened with that.

As a Nigerian,I'm worried. Lekki toll gate,Lasu school fees, subsidy removal,boko haram,cashless lagos(another room for scam as we are not ready), insecurity etc.

All is well in 2012. All is well.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by EagleNest(m): 4:33pm On Jan 01, 2012
What a New Year gift to Nigerians by GEJ. We are yet to overcome the shock of xmas day only for GEJ to add a New Year shocker. I am disappointed in GEJ as a leader. He is so insensitive to the plight of d masses. I tire for this country!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Phoenix6278(m): 4:34pm On Jan 01, 2012
Omo you can be slapped for asking for a free ride o! Na Bicycle sure pass!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 4:35pm On Jan 01, 2012
Any NEWS YET FROM NIGERIA LABOUR CONGRESS AND CIVIL SOCIETIES
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 4:36pm On Jan 01, 2012
Thank God that someone has at last had the love of the people to free the common man from mafia's; whether they are PHCN mafia's, NNPC mafia's, fuel importer mafia's, generator mafia's etc.

Go on GEJ, we de your back. Nigeria MUST develop. cool
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by dreday(m): 4:38pm On Jan 01, 2012
Seriously,on what grounds is anyone comparing price of petrol in Nigeria with the US or any other place? Have you thot about how different economies are. Mile2 to oshodi will cost about 200naira. A meal of ruce & chicken at Mr Biggs will cost about N2500. In ur US,do you pay $18 to eat a simple meal? Damn annoying. You should look at the price of petrol in other oil producing countries eg Oman,Saudi,Venezuela,Qatar even Libya
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by jajad: 4:42pm On Jan 01, 2012
DaRapture:

The US gas prices are set in gallons. 1Gallon is = to 3 3/4 Liters. The US average for gas/petro is about $3.30 right now. So that means that its only about 88 cents per Liter, which is like 88 Naira per liter.

^^^
@DaRapture Don't be silly.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by EvilBrain1(m): 4:43pm On Jan 01, 2012
pokur:

Seems u can't recognize sarcasm when it stares u in the face,mate.

Sorry. Didn't check the name before I posted.

Besides, you'd be surprised at how may people here still believe that Buhari = Boko Haram cr@p. Apparently, Poe's law also applies to Nigerian political debate.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 4:44pm On Jan 01, 2012
Expect more pipeline vandalinzation! More big business for the local war lords me thinks. If you can't buy at N150 for imported Fuel, at least you can afford Local Fuel for N100.

Sad this one, Jonathan is simply useless as His looks.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Denn(m): 4:45pm On Jan 01, 2012
I just rushed to the filling station to fill up my car tank an an extra plastic keg.

Independent marketers have locked up and are not selling. I could only buy from NNPC and there was a crowd, still at N65 though.

Seems its gonna be worse as time goes by. .
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by chakula: 4:46pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

The above statement is very wrong How comes should I support bad! thing
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by bjdon: 4:46pm On Jan 01, 2012
I think this is a good move. People let's try and look at this matter objectivly. No govt anywhere in the world can be expected to keep a subsidy on fuel. The fuel importing cartels have been doing everything in their power to ensure that our Refiniaries stay down. Now that fuel will sell at 'Market price' they will no longer have any incentive to continue to sabotage the refiniaries. Also the 20 private licneses that been awarded will now be acted on as the investors can now make a good business case for proceeding. I agree there will be pain in the short term, but people, thats what TRANSFORMATION is all about. Do you really think Ngozi and Sanusi will be advocating something that is bad for the nation?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 4:50pm On Jan 01, 2012
bjdon:

I think this is a good move. People let's try and look at this matter objectivly. No govt anywhere in the world can be expected to keep a subsidy on fuel. The fuel importing cartels have been doing everything in their power to ensure that our Refiniaries stay down. Now that fuel will sell at 'Market price' they will no longer have any incentive to continue to sabotage the refiniaries. Also the 20 private licneses that been awarded will now be acted on as the investors can now make a good business case for proceeding. I agree there will be pain in the short term, but people, thats what TRANSFORMATION is all about. Do you really think Ngozi and Sanusi will be advocating something that is bad for the nation?
Your brains must be stickied with celery! If this annocement stays, then expect the Naira to become worthless as prices would sky rocket. Every item in the market would increase by a fold and house rent would become out of the reach of the average Nigerian!
Jonathan is really as dull as He looks! Why blame the ants from lurking around when you scattered the sugar all over the floor

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by kruku: 4:52pm On Jan 01, 2012
angryGoodluck (?) Nigeria,
How unfortunate you are, even in an innocent new year 2012?
Why the oppression?
For those that shout PDP and support Clowns, applaud yourself and celebrate.
There is a big ball rolling down the hill, it will crush many, many and many.  sad[flash=200,200][/flash]
Congratulation.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ceejay80s(m): 4:53pm On Jan 01, 2012
FoR ME,I WILL PREFER A "REVOLUTION" but it wont work in naija 'cos we have enuf traitors unlike inthe middle east where they unite and fight together for a purpose.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by sheyguy: 4:54pm On Jan 01, 2012
I pity the govt and private co workers who can't get a pay rise overnight, as for the commercials pple who trade directly they can still adjust.
Where does the unemployed go from here ? . . .
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by werepeLeri: 4:55pm On Jan 01, 2012
where are the political and economic analysts - who often times makes no sense?

See panic buying - suddenly, the Gas Station in front of my house became a beehive of activities, the same station that hasnt seen a car come in to buy fuel all day, suddenly over 100 cars are lined up buying fuel.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by honeric01(m): 4:58pm On Jan 01, 2012
I love you jonathan, i am happy i voted for you and not PDP. You're one of us.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by rabzy01: 4:59pm On Jan 01, 2012
This is history in the making. No Naija president ever cared to give Nigerians a priceless new year gift of fresh air like this. Nigerians are too rich to be enjoying subsidy, therefore remove all the subsidies. The the only subsidy that should be allowed to continue is the fresh air subsidy like the one blowing in Ebonyi and Madalla. Thank you Mr Fisherman from the creeks. More fresh air, less subsidy. NONESENSE
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by pokur: 5:00pm On Jan 01, 2012
bjdon:

Dude,u should really get off that shyte u are smoking.Ending govt regulation of the downstream sector(i don't believe there ever was true subsidy regime) will simply leave the citizenry at the mercy of sharks who can fleece us anyhow they want.
The only reasonable solution has always been local refining of the petroleum products we consume,not importation.
GEJ should first fix our refineries or sell them to competent firms before throwing us to the wolves
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 5:01pm On Jan 01, 2012
werepeLeri:

where are the political and economic analysts - who often times makes no sense?

See panic buying - suddenly, the Gas Station in front of my house became a beehive of activities, the same station that hasn't seen a car come in to buy fuel all day, suddenly over 100 cars are lined up buying fuel.
You know what that means?Panic Buying is what you call it and it is a sign of the Zimbabwe syndrome. Watch filling stations getting bombed when Nigerians can't get hold of fuel to live by.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by efisher(m): 5:04pm On Jan 01, 2012
Best move since the onset of democracy. Next on the agenda: Power sector.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by texazzpete(m): 5:05pm On Jan 01, 2012
bjdon:

Is it the same Ngozi Okonjo Iweala that told Nigerians that the subsidy removal was not imminent and consultations were still ongoing?
You have so much trust in these lying politicians, it's amusing (and somewhat pathetic)

If you really think refineries will be rushed out the door, I am truly sorry for you. There's a reason why the likes of shell, chevron etc are selling off all their refineries. It's a typically low profit margin business.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by aikuda(m): 5:08pm On Jan 01, 2012
We all know that removing fuel subsidy is supposed to provide stimulus for development and all that, but what people are worried about is that this government is not capable of delivering on those development. This more of an issue of distrust of the government.
Having said that, I will say lets give them a chance. It would have been noce if the government can provide other forms of credit for the people in place of the fuel subsidy.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 01, 2012
just got back from buying fuel

when i first saw this i rushed out with my jerry cans - as phcn, inspite of all the bs posted by gj muppets on nl i still comatose, and i run my house on petrol generators

i was able to get at ap for 65. i bought my kegs, then ook my wifes car to fill it up. this time the ap was closed. just coming out of a long mobil queue, and the attendnt were just about to stop sales - whether to call it a day, or to revert to the new pump price

gej - and who says he's not a coward? did something hold the man's mouth yesterday during his long speech? he could tell us that rather than his security chiefs

, but for the highly unpopular fuel subsidy removal, he weasels it to the ppra

guess what drunkard we hate you all the same. bastard. enjoying 1 billion naira food, over 300 million of the nations money budgeted on diesel for your energy, and you tell us we have to tighten our belts. BASTARD,

happy new year indeed
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Olaone1: 5:12pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

Thank God that someone has at last had the love of the people to free the common man from mafia's; whether they are PHCN mafia's, NNPC mafia's, fuel importer mafia's, generator mafia's etc.

grin grin

Beaf dey do im own.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 5:13pm On Jan 01, 2012
HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN OR READ THE DOCUMENTS RELEASED BY THE FG THAT CONTAINS WHAT THEY WOULD USE THE MONEY FOR? SHOCKING WHAT YOU FIND IN THERE! PROJECTS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN BUDGET FOR IN 2010, 2011 AND EVEN INCLUDED IN THE 2012 BUDGET!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by dayokanu(m): 5:13pm On Jan 01, 2012
Thank God we voted Retardeen and not odechukwu.

He is God sent, He is our fellow Southern brother, He had no shoes, The cabal are frustrating him, He is humble and most importantly,

He is a breath of Fresh AIRRRR

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUIMNYkQFPJg8jflub7zMYgSKUiuVq5L0S0GfRlonPS6rcfmtJ[/img]
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Alfoasegh: 5:14pm On Jan 01, 2012
Finally, the time for REVOLUTION has come. I expect every NLander to be chatting from the streets now & not hiding behind a laptop screen. As for me, I'm on queue hoping to get some cheap NN65/litre @ one NNPC station in PHC & if I eventually don't, I might just find a way to set the station ablaze (some area boys are of the same view point). At least with subsidy removal, the govt. Will now have enough money to rebuild burnt stations.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by drills: 5:19pm On Jan 01, 2012
From a realistic view point I think the issue of fuel subsidy has outlived its relevance, it has been a legitimate means to loot foreign treasury to the tune of trillions yearly. If this money is injected back into the economy it will stimulate economic multiplier effect, translating to increase in capital investment and diversificatn from oil based fund.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Isrealbabs(m): 5:20pm On Jan 01, 2012
This is GEJ new year gift 4 us. How much wil a litre cost now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Kemi Adeosun Says 16+6= 24 (video) / Bill Gates Visits President Jonathan At State House, Abuja / Top Twenty Most Developed Countries By HDI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.