Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,604 members, 7,801,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta (2441 Views)

Nigeria Arrests one of its biggest Oil Tycoon As Corruption Probe Widens / Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling / Breaking News: Nigeria Arrests Boko Haram Spokesman Abul Qaqa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by denex: 9:41pm On Oct 04, 2007
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 9:45pm On Oct 04, 2007
Please what is there to "spy" on in Nigeria for glory's sake? undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 9:52pm On Oct 04, 2007
Please what is there to "spy" on in Nigeria for glory's sake?

Do you know that Nigeria is one of the major oil supplier to many countries around the world?
Do you truly understand the status of Nigeria around the world?

Do not get things twisted and don't ever compromise the value of Nigeria as a great nation.
FYI: Nigeria is on her way back to the top; and many countries have already recognized this fact.

Answer:
Yes, we have a lot for them to spy on.

The foreign spies should eat beans for this retarded action!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 1:21am On Oct 05, 2007
Big B1:

Do you know that Nigeria is one of the major oil supplier to many countries around the world?
Do you truly understand the status of Nigeria around the world?

Do not get things twisted and don't ever compromise the value of Nigeria as a great nation.

FYI: Nigeria is on her way back to the top; and many countries have already recognized this fact.

Answer:
Yes, we have a lot for them to spy on.

The foreign spies should eat beans for this retarded action!

I am not in the way of Nigeria's progress. It is all I ever wish for. What is this status you claim Nigeria has around the world? An oil producing country with no refining capablities. An exporter of crude oil and an importer of "refined" oil? We have employed spies to work for us in our "refineries" so why the complaint? undecided
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Seun(m): 4:58am On Oct 05, 2007
What secret are they 'spying' on and for what purpose? Let's stop this idiocy jare.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Seun(m): 5:01am On Oct 05, 2007
They were said to have been filming masked youths from the Ijaw community in Delta State.
Idiocy.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 5:31am On Oct 05, 2007
It doesn't matter, these folks should not be allowed to step all over our nation like door mat, just because our leaders are lacking common sense and total dedication.

What secret are they 'spying' on and for what purpose?  Let's stop this idiocy jare.
It is all about the pride of our nation. They should be heavily punished.

If you allow strange dogs and goats into your house, you should also expect stinky smell to errupt at some point.

If it was up to me, I will punish these folks and send a message to the world, that Nigeria is a nation that has laws and regulations.
My man, people will only treat you the way you treat yourself.

I refuse to compromise the pride of Nigeria.
It is a total disrespect when foreigners are here, in my country to spy.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 5:46am On Oct 05, 2007
It is so sad that many of us truly do not understand the true value of our nation, Nigeria.

I guess, the leaders are to blame.
FYI:This country is powerful, wealthy and has a bright future.

Time will tell.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Seun(m): 7:00am On Oct 05, 2007
If they were taking pictures of an army barracks with the intention of aiding a future attack on Nigeria, that would be spying. Using a video camera to tape Ijaw youths is not spying. Sightseeing is not spying.

If a CNN reporter comes to Nigeria to cover a story, would it be spying? If you go to the US and decide to take pictures of public places, would you be arrested for spying? Tourists are supposed to record pictures and videos.

How can you spy on what is not hidden? [s]I can't believe how stupid Nigerians can be. This is just too stupid. Grr![/s]

Outrageous Picture of a CNN 'Spy' Shameless 'Spying' On A Celebrity In Broad Daylight!!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Skywalker5(m): 7:41am On Oct 05, 2007
Do you call that spying?

Nigeria no go kill me for here grin grin grin grin

I sometimes look at Nigeria as a big joke

What are they spying on that they cant take from us if they want?

Nigeria would just talk and broadcast things anyhow just to let the world know that yes, we dey there tongue
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 7:56am On Oct 05, 2007
I agree with Seun here. Too many retards in Nigeria.
I mean, what if the British police started arresting all the Naijans who go around taking photos of monuments and things?
How many Nigerians get arrested for videoing carnivals, etc? If i had a video of the Sept 11 attacks, hell the major news networks will pay me a princely sum for the footage.

Where does the spying allegation come from? Were they caught filming Naija military installations? Army or air force bases? Troop deployment? Strategic arms plans?

All the SSS keeps blabbing about is that the woman has an extensive network of highly placed 'friends' in Nigeria. Since when did that become spying?

Big B1:

It is so sad that many of us truly do not understand the true value of our nation, Nigeria.

I guess, the leaders are to blame.
FYI:This country is powerful, wealthy and has a bright future.

Time will tell.

This country has potential. but the potential is so far unrealised, because of corruption and stupidity on the part of most Nigerians. Please stop all that bullshit of placing blame on our leaders. In a country where 419 is now an acceptable way of life, where the youths are even more corrupt and terrible than the 'leaders', it's difficult to see us realising that great potential any time soon.

Bright future, yes. Powerful and wealthy? let's solve our electrical power problem first before we start looking at ourselves as serious minded people
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 1:59pm On Oct 05, 2007
Case closed!  Idiocy, retards, and sheer ignorance!  You have consciously employed spies all over Nigeria to work for you, because the citizens are uneducatable and you are complaining about "tourism".  Go figure.  You do not even know the sofisticated equipment used to really spy on you and you are complaining about carmcorders and Ipods.

@BigB1

I do not know what to say to you,-- BigB1. 

Sky-walker:

Do you call that spying?

Nigeria no go kill me for here grin grin grin grin

I sometimes look at Nigeria as a big joke

What are they spying on that they can't take from us if they want?

Nigeria would just talk and broadcast things anyhow just to let the world know that yes, we dey there tongue

Can you imagine? embarassed  Like Nigeria is a member some G100 of nations or something? undecided  Thank God for oil reserves, Nigeria will not even appear on the world map!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Iman3(m): 2:35pm On Oct 05, 2007
@BigB1

Your reasoning na "first class". Keep it up!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 3:59pm On Oct 05, 2007
Using a video camera to tape Ijaw youths is not spying.  Sightseeing is not spying.

If a CNN reporter comes to Nigeria to cover a story, would it be spying?  If you go to the US and decide to take pictures of public places, would you be arrested for spying?  Tourists are supposed to record pictures and videos.

Do you think NTA could go to United States and freely run a special on Katrina, Jena6 or racism in America without the proper permission of the United States officials?

Answer:
Impossible.

There are rules and regulation to be followed; and this is what I'm talking about.
This issue has nothing to do with what these folks were spying on, it about the pride of our nation. Infact, the intention of these folks may be positive, but still, Nigeria as a nation has rules and regulations.

I don't think that it is OK for anybody to come to my country to run special on Niger Delta without the consent of the officials; it just doesn't work like that, period.
Regardless of what may be going on in Nigeria, you get respect by protect your land.

Moreover, do you guys really know what this folks are planing to do with whatever information they were spying on?

No wonder why many in United States still believe that Africans walk around naked in Africa.

If it was up to me, these people will not be allowed into that region without a proper approval.

Every country is faced with one or two domestic problems, but that doesn't mean foreigners should come and illegally download or video tape the sample of the problems to present to the world.
It is not right.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 6:32pm On Oct 05, 2007
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 6:34pm On Oct 05, 2007
I-man:

@BigB1

Your reasoning na "first class". Keep it up!

Gosh! It gets worse! sad

@BigB1
And who is to blame if you let them in the first place? undecided
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by denex: 7:14pm On Oct 05, 2007
Seun, if you come to edit my topic by adding quotation marks to the SPIES, then you must realise that this is no longer a topic posted by myself alone. Include yourself as co-porter please. Afterall, you have given yourself the right as "Moderator"
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 8:25pm On Oct 05, 2007
almondjoy: why are you hidding behind the tree?

I will not respond to a statement posted by a clown!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Seun(m): 10:36pm On Oct 05, 2007
Security officials confirmed they had detained Judith Burdin Asuni and two German nationals. Newspaper reports suggest they are suspected of spying.

They were said to have been filming masked youths from the Ijaw community in Delta State.

Delta militants have been conducting a violent campaign for the oil-rich area to get a larger share of the oil money.

Dr Burdin Asuni is married to a Nigerian and has lived in the region for more than a decade.

She runs the non-governmental organisation Academic Associates Peace Work and has run workshops with the Nigerian police on conflict management.

Arresting an old woman,an aid worker married to a Nigerian, and calling her a spy? Very idiotic.
Idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic, idiotic!!
I don't think our politicians are that stupid, however. This is just a cover story for something else.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 10:56pm On Oct 05, 2007
It is obvious that we all have different state of minds and absolutely not on the same page; therefore, we can remain here till next year, we will never view this issue the same way.
But I'm sure that in few more years, it will all be clear to you.

Good luck, folks!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 12:17pm On Oct 06, 2007
Big B1:

almondjoy: why are you hidding behind the tree?

I will not respond to a statement posted by a clown!

You mean my "Iroko" tree? tongue

Big B1:

It is obvious that we all have different state of minds and absolutely not on the same page; therefore, we can remain here till next year, we will never view this issue the same way.
But I'm sure that in few more years, it will all be clear to you.

Good luck, folks!

Yeah, goodluck and bye! wink
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by FSU: 12:29pm On Oct 06, 2007
hm!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by FSU: 12:31pm On Oct 06, 2007
Any Nigerian who lives abroad, facing all the undue harrasments (physical and mental) from so-called hosts should frown at such blatant attempt to collect information from Nigeria without recourse to authorization. The arrest and prosecution is good news. These guys (imagine the two Germans whose country is reeling with racism and abuse of African people coming to take photos of Nigerian installations) will do much more to us. Time to be patriotic o jare.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 2:12pm On Oct 06, 2007
FSU:

Any Nigerian who lives abroad, facing all the undue harrasments (physical and mental) from so-called hosts should frown at such blatant attempt to collect information from Nigeria without recourse to authorization. The arrest and prosecution is good news. These guys (imagine the two Germans whose country is reeling with racism and abuse of African people coming to take photos of Nigerian installations) will do much more to us. Time to be patriotic o jare.

Brilliant!
Now to further expand on your logic, imagine Nigerians (whose country is brimming with people kidnapping white men and holding them for ransom) coming to London and snapping pics at Buckingham Palace and Big Ben.
the lot of them should be arrested, charged with espionage and shot!

FSU, isn't that what you mean? grin
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2007
cheesy grin cheesy grin grin

Right on!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by FSU: 3:48pm On Oct 06, 2007
I live in Germany and I know what I and other Nigerians, indeed all dark-colored people, face here. You can't play no shit here. So why should they play shit in Nigeria? I support reciprocity in Nigeria's diplomatic dealings with Germany (and other racist nations). This country sucks (of palpable racism)
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 4:20pm On Oct 06, 2007
I stayed in the Netherlands for a while, and i've seen first hand the shit illegal Nigerian immigrants pull in that country.
I was hosted by a Nigerian guy (legal) with many illegal pals. Th egist these illegals gave me was enough to almost make me hate Nigerians.
Most of the legal Naijans even feel disgust for their fellow Naijans that are there illegally.
As my host said "When you see Nigerians in cafe as early as 7am in the morning in Amsterdam dey do 419, you go know say Oyibo sef dey try"

One illegal resident in Germany was freely boastin gof having pushed drugs in Russia, Cyprus and now Germany. At the moment he runs a prostitution ring in Germany and Italy.

Another one expressed his regret at not being able to complete his dupe of an italian man of 100000 euros. The guy had nearly paid up, but for a last minute complication. He disclosed how he slept with both a mother and her teenage daughter (both whites) before deciding on which one he would marry for papers.

The truth is, very many Nigerians make lousy guests in most countries they emigrate to. Patience isn't infinite, so it's only a matter of time before irritation becomes negative stereotype of an entire people.

It's funny how Nigerians play the 'Race' card always. Osuofia came to Holland to play his 419 theme song, ensuring that the biggest gathering of illegals, 419s and rabble rousing Nigerians in the Netherlands would be there. What else was the police supposed to do, spurn a gilt edged chance to deport most of the troublesome illegals in one fell swoop? They naturally raid the place and Nigerians started complaining of excessive force and racism. How many deportees go gently without a struggle? YOu think the guys just held their hands meekly for the handcuffs?

This is all OFF TOPIC, by the way, but i just needed to get that out grin
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Seun(m): 4:27pm On Oct 06, 2007
Two wrongs do not make a right. A German woman who has been married to a Nigerian for decades is a Nigerian. You cannot say because you are upset
with the way you are treated in Germany you must persecute Germans who love Nigeria for a baseless reason such as this.

When did "filming Ijaw youths" become a crime? Maybe she filmed a Nigerian official committing a crime?
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 8:25pm On Oct 06, 2007
The arrest of these Germans for filming Ijaw youths tells the world that the Nigerian federal government wants to keep events in the Niger Delta hidden from the global news audience, and has now shown it is prepared to level trumped up espionage charges against anyone carrying video gear in the country's troubled oil creeks.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and reconnaissance satellites are capable of producing real-time overhead imagery with resolution sharp enough to read car licence plate numbers, so every square inch of Nigeria that is of military or strategic significance has no doubt long been photographed and filed away for reference along with GPS coordinates accurate to a meter or less of locational precision, rendering the charge of spying cooked up to snare these freelance video journalists all the more preposterous, particularly with respect to the roping in of a highly regarded German "Niger Wife" lady who married into Nigerian citizenship decades ago and has contributed immensely to her adopted home country - Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 12:01am On Oct 07, 2007
Who cares about the filming of the Ijaw youth?
This is not the point. Don't be stupid and stop comparing these folks to common Nigerians abroad, that only film for tourism purpose. The intention of these  folks (spies) is totally different.

What we are saying is, we shouldn't allow anybody to feel that because this is an African country, it means everything goes.
Absolutely Rubbish.

The question is, can these same folks take their camera to United States to run special on JENA6 without the propal permission of the US officials?
Answer is absolutely negative.
So, why should we allow this rubbish to take place?
You guys need to wake up and stop thinking like OBJ.

On my mind, Nigeria is bigger/ better than any other country and it's time for us to start treating this country with respect.

I don't care how long the white lady has been married to a Nigeria, there is still laws and regulations to be followed.

As long as their intention is to expose Nigerian dirty laundry to the world without the consent of Nigerian officials, their action remains illegal.
Just because situation in Niger Delta is absurd doesn't mean anybody can just do as he or she desires.
There is no country that wants her dirty laundry to be exposed to the world; and a true leader will do anything and everything to protect the land of his or her nation, (under any circumstances).

Our people are so stupid and prefer to continue to walk around with SLAVE mentality; it is so sad that many of us do not understand the true value of our nation and how to prevent the value from being depreciated.

Do you know how much damage this illegal filming could bring to our nation? This action could negatively affect investors' decision, tourism activity, another opportunity for Oprah to put us on a blast and many many more.
Don't get me wrong, yes, the situation in Niger Delta is not fair and not friendly;  And FYI, this new admin is trying everything to bring fairness and peace to this region.
But for some white attention seeker to be filming this ridiculous situation with the intention to expose the bad side of Nigeria to further damage our image around the world is totally unacceptable.

Any competent leader will never allow this to happen.

I say, let us work together and discover a better strategy to make thing better for the people of Niger Delta.

Enough is enough, Nigeria is on her way back to the top, it makes no sense to allow another worthless propaganda.

You can not be simple and expect to understand by point; the future is my focus.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Iman3(m): 12:06am On Oct 07, 2007
As long as their intention is to expose Nigerian dirty laundry to the world without the consent of Nigerian officials, their action remains illegal.

Stop reasoning like a stark illiterate.What law can you cite that prohibits the above.Since when did inhabitants of Nigera need Govt consent to film our "dirty laundry".

Do you know how much damage this illegal filming could brought to our nation?

Barrister BigB1,you keep talking about illegality,which law prohibits what the arrested where doing?
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 12:12am On Oct 07, 2007
You can not be simple and expect to understand by point; the future is my focus.

(1) (2) (Reply)

"a Sick Leader Cannot Heal A Dying Nation" Pastor Tunde Bakare / The Pdp Has Won In Kwara State's Governorship Election / In The Wrong Place At The Wrong Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.