Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (117510 Views)

Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 04, 2012
9ja-ninja:

yea i was talkin to this kid and apparently its not just german its swiss-german , and swiss french and other discouraging languages

it's not Swiss French, it's just French!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 04, 2012
and not Dutch but Deutsch!

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 7070: 5:57pm On Nov 17, 2012
@miss-sweety86 nice to have you up in here
@santino your reply made me smile..yes i study at zhaw and speak Conversational German..schone! u have the zurichsee as your view.we should meet up for drinks or something,lol
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2012
miss-sweety86:
and not Dutch but Deutsch!
lol. you are forming like you know it all abi? dutch is the english pronunciation while the latter is the native pronounciation so they are both correct.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 6:40pm On Nov 18, 2012
Miss sweety, please what part of swiss are you and tell us what its like there and secondly are you a student?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 7:00pm On Nov 18, 2012
7070: @miss-sweety86 nice to have you up in here
@santino your reply made me smile..yes i study at zhaw and speak Conversational German..schone! u have the zurichsee as your view.we should meet up for drinks or something,lol
Kai, Nigerians no dey slark at all. I thought i was really smart to know switzerland has one of the best education systems in europe and cheap sculs too. its just that people for reasons not known to me never try them out. This 7070, i hail o. what course are you studying in ZHAW? i got admission into that scul to study facility management. men they have this professors who interviewed me via skype and they said that out of everybody they interviewed i was the most motivated and they gave me the only space left. It was awesome. But because i just got a job at the time and i needed the experience of that job, i couldnt just let it go i had to suspend my admission for a while. i wouldnt mind if we could exchange emails and send private messages please.

5 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 18, 2012
redcliff:
lol. you are forming like you know it all abi? dutch is the english pronunciation while the latter is the native pronounciation so they are both correct.

Just to be clear: Dutch is actually the language spoken in the Netherland, so nothing to do with German/Deutsch which is spoken in Germany and Switzerland.

I am from the French part of Switzerland, I've lived in many places. I have finished my studies at the universities of Lausanne (B.A.) and Fribourg (M.A) and I'm currently doing an internship in Geneva.

The education in Switzerland is of very high quality. It is free from kindergarten until high school. The best universities are the polytechnic schools of Zurich and Lausanne. Universities are not expensive (around $500-700 per semester) but the costs of living are very high, insurance, food, etc. There are many scholarship opportunities from universities or other private institutions. I know that the Swiss goverment offers scholarship too, but I'm not sure if it's only for some countries. Students can also get financial aid from their canton to cover the university and living expenses costs, but I am not sure if foreign students can apply.

Major cities such as Zurich and Geneva you will always find people speaking there. There is a big international community in Geneva mainly formed by UN and other NGOs staff.

Climate is very cold, usually you get snow almost everywhere during winter! People are more private than in the neighborhing countries, so sometimes foreigners might not feel very welcomed. There is also racism like in many other places. Otherwise, it's very clean, public services are very efficient and what can I say more, it's my country so I just like living there ;-) (though actually I don't live there anymore because it's too expensive for me)

8 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 7070: 8:08pm On Jan 06, 2013
miss_sweety86
lets hook up for a coupla drinks smiley
@santino1...you made me laugh but sure we should all hook up joor..
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 7070: 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
[quote author=redcliff]
Kai, Nigerians no dey slark at all. I thought i was really smart to know switzerland has one of the best education systems in europe and cheap sculs too. its just that people for reasons not known to me never try them out. This 7070, i hail o. what course are you studying in ZHAW? i got admission into that scul to study facility management. men they have this professors who interviewed me via skype and they said that out of everybody they interviewed i was the most motivated and they gave me the only space left. It was awesome. But because i just got a job at the time and i needed the experience of that job, i couldnt just let it go i had to suspend my admission for a while. i wouldnt mind if we could exchange emails and send private messages please.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 8:17pm On Jan 06, 2013
Just got a Nairaland notification that you are trying to send me a PM and I have to reply before I can read the PM, pretty weird though I don't quite get the grasp of how the PM thingy works.

Anyways, I'm now following you and you can do the same so we can have a personal correspondence.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 09, 2013
sure, we could meet up with other people living in Switzerland, though I'm not Nigerian and I think my boyfriend would hate the idea of me having a drink with other Nigerians but I'm so bored sometimes ;-)! Where are you guys living? I'm working in Geneva, so I can't really go all the way to Zurich or other places....
btw: I dislike the private messages system too! It's not very convenient!

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 7070: 7:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
well the PM makes sense for obvious reasons..i.e Private Messages should remain Private smiley
and although im busy with exams at the moment,should be in Geneva in february to see my schatz,lol
will drop a line then..aber i cannot understand why your boyfriend is wary about you making friends with nigerians,nothing do most of us o..lol
and to be honest i know only 3nigerians here,lol but with @santino and @redcliff thats gonna total 5pretty soon

enjoy..

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jan 12, 2013
:-)! that's good! let me know when you will be in Geneva!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 6:48am On Jan 13, 2013
Pls house, is there any english taught university in Switzerland at undergraduate level? And how easy is student visa here from Nigeria? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 9:48am On Jan 13, 2013
I don't think there is any university that offers English curriculum, except the private ones. Here is the information I could find on the internet http://www.crus.ch/information-programmes/etudier-en-suisse/offres-detudes/study-programmes-in-english.html?L=1 (it's official information).

I don't know about the process to get a Swiss student visa as I'm Swiss, but I think you will need to show to the embassy that you have sufficient funding to cover for your entire stay (which means university fees + all other living expenses, so it can be pretty much expensive, depending on where you live), your acceptance letter from the university and maybe some other things. You can also apply for a scholarship, I know many universities have scholarships for foreign students from developping countries.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 13, 2013
miss-sweety86:
I don't think there is any university that offers English curriculum, except the private ones. Here is the information I could find on the internet http://www.crus.ch/information-programmes/etudier-en-suisse/offres-detudes/study-programmes-in-english.html?L=1 (it's official information).

I don't know about the process to get a Swiss student visa as I'm Swiss, but I think you will need to show to the embassy that you have sufficient funding to cover for your entire stay (which means university fees + all other living expenses, so it can be pretty much expensive, depending on where you live), your acceptance letter from the university and maybe some other things. You can also apply for a scholarship, I know many universities have scholarships for foreign students from developping countries.
Thank you very much,only one bachelor held in Eng medium.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Ilaje44(m): 6:43pm On Jan 13, 2013
redcliff: Nice thread, would also love to be in that country, they have one of the best economies in europe, the mainly speak dutch/german

Dutch and German are two different although related languages. Dutch is the language of the Netherlands, while German is the language of Germany. In the German language, Germany is called DEUTSCHLAND and the language DEUTSCH. The pronounciation does sound like DUTCH though.

Switzerland speaks four languages. They are German, French, Italian and Raeto-Roman. The last one is a mixture of old lombardian and German. I dont think is worth learning.

To the question being asked, I really can not say much about the educational system over there. However, the place you choose determines the tuition language. If your school is in western Switzerland, be prepared to be tutored in French. If you will be going to northern, central and eastern Switzerland, you will have to acquaint yourself with German. In the South, Italian will be the language. Swiss German dialects are very difficult even for Germans from the North to understand. Their German is really weird, but if they speak standard German, you will understand much easily.

Another thing to consider is the cost of living in Switzerland. It is very expensive to live in Switzerland. But they also got of the highest standard of living in the world partly thanks people who loot the treasury of ther country to keep in Swiss banks. So if you could work, you will able to earn enough too.

Switzerland is a very beautiful country. Nice clean cities, picturesque landscapes. You sure will like it. I only dont like the people so much. It is a personal thing though.
Hope I have been of help.

4 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 1:09pm On Jan 16, 2013
Ilaje44:

Dutch and German are two different although related languages. Dutch is the language of the Netherlands, while German is the language of Germany. In the German language, Germany is called DEUTSCHLAND and the language DEUTSCH. The pronounciation does sound like DUTCH though.

Switzerland speaks four languages. They are German, French, Italian and Raeto-Roman. The last one is a mixture of old lombardian and German. I dont think is worth learning.

To the question being asked, I really can not say much about the educational system over there. However, the place you choose determines the tuition language. If your school is in western Switzerland, be prepared to be tutored in French. If you will be going to northern, central and eastern Switzerland, you will have to acquaint yourself with German. In the South, Italian will be the language. Swiss German dialects are very difficult even for Germans from the North to understand. Their German is really weird, but if they speak standard German, you will understand much easily.

Another thing to consider is the cost of living in Switzerland. It is very expensive to live in Switzerland. But they also got of the highest standard of living in the world partly thanks people who loot the treasury of ther country to keep in Swiss banks. So if you could work, you will able to earn enough too.

Switzerland is a very beautiful country. Nice clean cities, picturesque landscapes. You sure will like it. I only dont like the people so much. It is a personal thing though.
Hope I have been of help.

yea, u were thanks alot..
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by jay3012: 4:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
Hi y'all really glad to come across this thread...its really been informative...I just applied to a swiss university for masters programme against september 2013...wld love to hear frm nigerians studeying in switzerland....hw is life over there? Is it easy to get a part time job while studying? And wat is d probability of getting a study visa to swiss?? HOw long does it take to get a residence permit as an intl student in switzerland?? Lastly can I travel to other schengen country wit a swiss student visa.......pleaseee pleaseee and pleaseee...I would really appreciate answers to these questions....waiting for ur replys asap.....thanks
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by jay3012: 4:12pm On Feb 05, 2013
Miss sweety, redcliff, 7070, plum 70 nd anyoda nairalander pls reply me oooooOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
I think finding a student job is quite easy in Switzerland. But I think you need a working permit but it's basically just forms to fill in! Students usually work in restauration (restaurants, bars,..Mc Donalds is a good employer), shops and supermarkets, call centers, private tutoring lessons, etc. My Chinese housemate worked at McDonalds during his studies.
I have really no idea about the process of getting a visa for Switzerland as I am a Swiss citizen. I think if you have a letter of acceptance from a university and proof of sufficient funds to cover your school fees and living expenses, it should be alright. I have been in contact with the people from the Swiss embassy in Abuja (I'm applying for internship there) and they were friendly and helpful. I don't think they discriminate against Nigerians, I think they even offer scholarships.
What do you mean by residence permit? I think during your studies you get a student permit and later you can change it if you get a job there. Not 100% sure, but you can also ask at the embassy. And you can probably find information on the website http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/dfa/policy.html or www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home.htm
Switzerland is part of the Schengen agreement, so you can visit any other Schengen country with a valid Swiss visa/student permit.
As I'm not Nigerian, I've no idea how is life for Nigerians over there. I think Black are discriminated like in any other Europeans countries. It also seems that many Nigerians are involved in criminal activities (drugs) and that gives them bad reputation.
Which university are you applying to? Do you speak any of the languages of Switzerland?

2 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 9:54pm On Feb 05, 2013
Just to add to what miss-sweety86 already highlighted above

Well, as per student life in Switzerland, I can't give a definitive answer as it is very subjective. In my humble opinion, I'd say it's very exciting because studying in Switzerland will enhance your versatility culturally, educationally et.c. I can assure you, you'll enjoy your stay though I must warn you, living in Switzerland is way expensive but you'll survive.

I can speak for both ETH and Uni-Zurich, getting a part-time job is really very easy especially if you are a scientist as the professors, post docs and PhD students are always in need of students to help with their laboratory experiments, so I'll say the probability of you getting a part-time job is in the 90s.

Getting a student visa depends solely on you (i.e. your own fate is in your hands). This is because if a school in Switzerland offers you an admission, you are "almost entitled" to a visa but it is very imperative that you prove beyond reasonable doubt that you are capable of living in Switzerland. This you can do by (1) showing a bank statements in your name with sufficient fund (it is CHF 21,000 for Zurich) or (2) submitting a letter of scholarship from the Government or highly reputable organization e.g. WHO, UNICEF and the likes. you'll find more info on the links posted by miss-sweety 86.

Getting a residence permit take only 2 weeks ( sometimes less) from the date of application. To apply however, you need a place of residence and the matriculation certificate (obtainable from your school's rectorate) and it is renewable every year till you are officially dematriculted.

Definitely, with a valid passport and residence permit you can visit schengen member countries for not more than 90 days.

Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
7070: are you still coming to Geneva to see your girlfriend in February? Let me know if you wanna have a drink!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by james2020(m): 5:04am On Feb 06, 2013
My question is that i want to earn citizenship there, am a nigerian, help me achieve it.
miss-sweety86:
Hey guys!
Happy to see that there are some Nigerians happy to be in Switzerland! If you have any questions, don't hesistate to ask me, I'm Swiss en lived there almost my entire life :-)
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 7:54am On Feb 06, 2013
james2020: My question is that i want to earn citizenship there, am a nigerian, help me achieve it.

Citizenship?? Except you have a Swiss partner you plan to marry or either of your parents is Swiss, then I'm afraid that is outta reach..... It takes 10-12 years to attain a permanent residence status (permit C), so you can figure out the rest for yourself.

But since your question is directed to miss-sweety86, perhaps she can help you out. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:18am On Feb 06, 2013
@santino & miss-sweety- Your explaminations was quite distinct and at the same time very interesting. What do you guys think about Tourism,Hospitality and Fashion industry in Switzerland? Please,could you recomend any cheap school, either public or private that is holding these courses in Bachelor level. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 06, 2013
james2020: My question is that i want to earn citizenship there, am a nigerian, help me achieve it.

I assumed you are not a child (the years spent completing your mandatory education count double for the number of years you have to spend in Switzerland to apply for citizenship), so I think your only option would be to get married to a Swiss partner! An even that doesn't guarantee to get a Swiss passport because you have to be married for a certain period of time with the person and show that you have ties with Switzerland (this is something that made me sure that my bf wasn't with me only to get a Swiss passport!) In any case, you have to prove that you are integrated into the Swiss society so you must know the language, history and stuff like that.

You can visit that webstie for more information: http://www.bfm.admin.ch/content/bfm/en/home.html
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 06, 2013
Demaejy: @santino & miss-sweety- Your explaminations was quite distinct and at the same time very interesting. What do you guys think about Tourism,Hospitality and Fashion industry in Switzerland? Please,could you recomend any cheap school, either public or private that is holding these courses in Bachelor level. Thanks

No idea about fashion but I know we have good schools for hospitality management. There is one in Lausanne but it's expensive (25 000 for the first year). There is also one in Geneva that is in the top 10 but I guess it's expensive too...
If you want something "cheap" you should go towards Universities of Applied Sciences or normal universities (tution fees are lower because these are public institutions)
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by jay3012: 8:21pm On Feb 06, 2013
Wowww I love dis thread...miss sweety and santiano u guys have been very helpful nd informative...tnxx guys u are d bestest.........miss sweety I applied to university of geneva, masters in biochemistry, nd I plan on enrolling for french classes nxt month
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 06, 2013
that's good! let me know how it goes, maybe i'll still be in Geneva by the time you arrive and we be able to show you around :-)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Crystal Service immigration Scam / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.