Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,590 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (117619 Views)

Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Eugene83: 10:16am On May 15, 2016
Santino1:
^^^
Congratulations.
The minimum amount is 21,000 SFr. (that's the minimum amount the Swiss authorities estimate you need to sufficiently live in Switzerland for a year. Don't ask me how they got that figure). And, yes you have to show that it has been in your account (or your sponsor's) for more than three months.
The bank statement should be sufficient.
Good luck.

Alright then. I guess any bank would do? How about investment accounts too
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 2:10pm On May 15, 2016
In the past, they request for banks that have branches in Switzerland (for easy verification) but I don't know about the current procedures. I really don't know about investment account.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Eugene83: 2:38pm On May 15, 2016
Okay. Thanks Santino1. You've been of great help. God bless you
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Eugene83: 2:45pm On May 15, 2016
Okay. Thanks for the help Santino1. Thank you so much. God bless you
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 2:59pm On May 15, 2016
Glad I could help. Good luck.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 3:35pm On May 15, 2016
Eugene83:

Hello red cliff , thankyou for the good work you're doing on here. You and all the other contributors. God bless you all.
I've got a question and I hope you or anyone else can help me out with it. I've gained admission to university of geneva for the master of science in global health program. And as I gather documents for the visa purposes I'd like to know concerning the bank statement how much should it be
And should the money be a huge sum of money just sitting in the account
Also since my parents will be sponsoring me what do I need from them. Is their bank account enough evidence or should I add land documents investments and business certificates as well. Thank you all.

that was unnecessary and somewhat cliche. Different Kantons have their different requirements for getting a visa. Some require that you have that money in Switzerland. Especially the Kanton of Zurich. The funds are the only thing you need. All others are totally unnecessary.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Eugene83: 4:56pm On May 15, 2016
[quote author=redcliff post=45644978]
that was unnecessary and somewhat cliche. Different Kantons have their different requirements for getting a visa. Some require that you have that money in Switzerland. Especially the Kanton of Zurich. The funds are the only thing you need. All others are

Got it. Thanks
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by girlonfire: 1:38pm On May 23, 2016
Hello, I am considering getting an Msc degree in Switzerland. Geneva to be precise. I looked up the university of Geneva and the fees are sooo cheap. 500CHF per semester. The thing is that I would like to know if there are some other things I should consider before making a decision. I would like to know what challenges i may face as i only speak English and intend to start learning French. I really dont want to move to an environment because I found out about cheap fees and end up meeting something else.
I would also like to know how easy it is to get a job there. I am in the business and finance career line.
Lastly, I know that i am supposed to have 21000chf and I am not really bothered about this because if i were to school elsewhere, this is nothing when i think of the tuition+housing+feeding+transportation+miscellaneous cost. However, what if I dont have it at once.
I also read online when one Nigerian was advising people not to bother coming to switzerland so I want to know if it is a wise decision

PS. I have admission to study in a European Country and the tuition fees is already 17900euros. if i decide to got to switzerland, i will have to forsake my 500euros acceptance fee which i have paid and wait one year for next september. This country is an English speaking country and i can stay back after a year to get a job after my msc.
what do you suggest?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Eugene83: 5:01pm On May 23, 2016
girlonfire:
Hello, I am considering getting an Msc degree in Switzerland. Geneva to be precise. I looked up the university of Geneva and the fees are sooo cheap. 500CHF per semester. The thing is that I would like to know if there are some other things I should consider before making a decision. I would like to know what challenges i may face as i only speak English and intend to start learning French. I really dont want to move to an environment because I found out about cheap fees and end up meeting something else.
I would also like to know how easy it is to get a job there. I am in the business and finance career line.
Lastly, I know that i am supposed to have 21000chf and I am not really bothered about this because if i were to school elsewhere, this is nothing when i think of the tuition+housing+feeding+transportation+miscellaneous cost. However, what if I dont have it at once.
I also read online when one Nigerian was advising people not to bother coming to switzerland so I want to know if it is a wise decision
PS. I have admission to study in a European Country and the tuition fees is already 17900euros. if i decide to got to switzerland, i will have to forsake my 500euros acceptance fee which i have paid and wait one year for next september. This country is an English speaking country and i can stay back after a year to get a job after my msc.
what do you suggest?

I'd advice you to get into an English program in the university. If you choose university of geneva go for the English programs because if you choose the french speaking one's you'll have to write a french test to even qualify for admission. The deadline for admission is 28th February for visa applicants. The admission office speaks English so call them or send them an email whenever you have questions. Make sure all your documents get to the school before the deadline otherwise you'll have to forfeit. Make Google translator your friend. And consider also the visa process.
With Switzerland you can't stay back. You have to leave the country after 6 months of job search. Frankly it's not really easy giving the way their immigration is. Consider this
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by crest2j(m): 6:46pm On May 23, 2016
hello NL, I want to further ma academic in Switzerland, I was hoping if dere is any NL in Switzerland dat can help me with some schools der program is not costly tnx
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 1:20pm On May 24, 2016
girlonfire:

what do you suggest?
Salut, I saw your pm, and replied but it didn't get through. I don't know why, from my personal. experience Switzerland doesn't worth it, but if you insist on going there bear in mind that you must speak French in order to get any job, which is very deficult to find one. when I was there I travel to annemassy, France to do some menial works with a friend. to be Frank there's no work in Geneva. I don't know of other cantons. well I believe where one finds failure another finds success, so give a shot if your financially bouyant, I was really disappointed during my stay over there. and believe me there's racism in terms of job search, you er better of with an English speaking country, the emotional trauma and feeling of being lost I felt is so gross. experience is the best teacher though, so give it a try, no harm in that. NB: there educational system is very nice and flexible coupled with a very beautiful country ...Cher

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 3:57pm On May 24, 2016
Caleycash:
Salut, I saw your pm, and replied but it didn't get through. I don't know why, from my personal. experience Switzerland doesn't worth it, but if you insist on going there bear in mind that you must speak French in order to get any job, which is very deficult to find one. when I was there I travel to annemassy, France to do some menial works with a friend. to be Frank there's no work in Geneva. I don't know of other cantons. well I believe where one finds failure another finds success, so give a shot if your financially bouyant, I was really disappointed during my stay over there. and believe me there's racism in terms of job search, you er better of with an English speaking country, the emotional trauma and feeling of being lost I felt is so gross. experience is the best teacher though, so give it a try, no harm in that. NB: there educational system is very nice and flexible coupled with a very beautiful country ...Cher

It's a good thing you indicated upfront that it's your personal experience. I beg to differ on some of your points based on "my personal experience"

I don't about Geneva, but I got a job as a student assistantship within my first three months in Zurich despite the fact that I did not speak a word in German/French.

In terms of job application, It's not racism (It has nothing to do with that) but the way their country is structured to protect their citizens. The rule is simply as follows: If two candidates have the same qualifications and they perform equally during the recruitment process then the Swiss candidate will be taken, If none of them is Swiss then the EU candidate will be taken and so on. It has nothing whether you are white, black or blue.

Perhaps you were disappointed because you had high expectations but I always tell people to keep their expectations modest as the pasture is always greener on the other side.

Cheers
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 7:09pm On May 24, 2016
Santino1:

It's a good thing you indicated upfront that it's your personal experience. I beg to differ on some of your points based on "my personal experience"

I don't about Geneva, but I got a job as a student assistantship within my first three months in Zurich despite the fact that I did not speak a word in German/French.

In terms of job application, It's not racism (It has nothing to do with that) but the way their country is structured to protect their citizens. The rule is simply as follows: If two candidates have the same qualifications and they perform equally during the recruitment process then the Swiss candidate will be taken, If none of them is Swiss then the EU candidate will be taken and so on. It has nothing whether you are white, black or blue.

Perhaps you were disappointed because you had high expectations but I always tell people to keep their expectations modest as the pasture is always greener on the other side.

Cheers
Epic... but to be sincere I didn't have any high expectations before and while there, that's why I made mention of doing menial works in Anemassy, France... I dont have anything further to say about the racism, but bear in mind I have personal assertion about this, all I intend passing is, she should be prepared for whatever the outcome might be, that's why I also said ones place of failure might be another's place of success & vice-versa . also Zurich and Geneve are different cantons with alot of differences... I have to stop here, love your write up man, big ups.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 7:28pm On May 24, 2016
I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out the way you had hoped. But don't let it deter you from achieving your set goals.

You know what they say about tough times, they don't last but tough people do.

Good luck in your future endeavours.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Eugene83: 10:15pm On May 24, 2016
Caleycash:
Epic... but to be sincere I didn't have any high expectations before and while there, s.

@caleycash are you still in geneva?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 5:04pm On May 25, 2016
Eugene83:

@caleycash are you still in geneva?
No Bro
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by girlonfire: 8:04pm On May 28, 2016
Caleycash:

thank you @caleycash i have made up my mind not to go to Switzerland anymore. I believe Dublin has better opportunities for me. I have also prayed and i really do not feel like i should go to Switzerland although their very low tuition was very tempting.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 11:17pm On May 28, 2016
girlonfire:

thank you @caleycash i have made up my mind not to go to Switzerland anymore. I believe Dublin has better opportunities for me. I have also prayed and i really do not feel like i should go to Switzerland although their very low tuition was very tempting.
Better... wish u all the best.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by nneuba26: 1:25pm On Jul 04, 2016
Good day all. I have been following this wonderful trend and I must say, the contributions have been really helpful. Please I need d name of a good school in Zurich where I can study MSc in process engineering or oil and gas engineering. Please. Thank you all. I need to find a school but I dont know how to go about it. I need help please
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 9:40am On Jul 05, 2016
nneuba26:
Good day all. I have been following this wonderful trend and I must say, the contributions have been really helpful. Please I need d name of a good school in Zurich where I can study MSc in process engineering or oil and gas engineering. Please. Thank you all. I need to find a school but I dont know how to go about it. I need help please

ETH Zurich does offer MSc in Process Engineering but not Oil and Gas Engineering. Here is a link to their Process Engineering programme:

https://www.ethz.ch/content/specialinterest/study-programme-websites/master-process-engineering/en.html

Good luck
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 8:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
Santino1:

Cheers

I believe you were given this job by the institution you schooled in. which makes you lucky. Ordinarily it would have been hard for you to get a normal job with a B resident permit you had after 3 months of entering Switzerland as a student (that's if that how you got there). Maybe now you are finished and you are somewhat integrated into the system so its easy for you. But for a typical student coming from Nigeria and expecting to get a job even with your student rp that allows you work for 20 percent, it is almost impossible. Take my word to the bank.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by lawarlkila(m): 10:39am On Oct 05, 2016
Hello my fellow friend. I am finishing my secondary this year coming. And my only wish is to study medicine at the university of zurich. Please can anyone help on their tuition fee, accomodation and so much more. Thank you all
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by lawarlkila(m): 10:45am On Oct 05, 2016
Hello my fellow friends. I am finishing my secondary school this year coming. And my only wish is to study medicine at the university of zurich. Please can anyone help on their tuition fee, accomodation and so much more. Thank you all.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2016
redcliff:

I believe you were given this job by the institution you schooled in. which makes you lucky. Ordinarily it would have been hard for you to get a normal job with a B resident permit you had after 3 months of entering Switzerland as a student (that's if that how you got there). Maybe now you are finished and you are somewhat integrated into the system so its easy for you. But for a typical student coming from Nigeria and expecting to get a job even with your student rp that allows you work for 20 percent, it is almost impossible. Take my word to the bank.

Yes and No. As part of the regulation for the student B permit, you are prohibited from working more than 40% (so as not to affect your academic performance and other blah blah blahs). I got a 25 percent level of employment at my institution (at CHF 28 per hour) and the other 15 percent is by tutoring international school kids (at about CHF 22 per hour). All in all, I usually end up with about CHF 850 at the end of the month. I wasn't so rich but I could get by without resorting to menial labour. But all that was 4 years ago so perhaps it's tougher now I don't know.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 10:31pm On Oct 05, 2016
lawarlkila:
Hello my fellow friends. I am finishing my secondary school this year coming. And my only wish is to study medicine at the university of zurich. Please can anyone help on their tuition fee, accomodation and so much more. Thank you all.

I'm gonna be frank with you, it is difficult (almost impossible) to transit from secondary school education from Nigeria to a University in Switzerland. They have totally different structures here. Go and read up on "matura", "fachhochschule" and so on for better understanding of the Swiss system. That's discounting the fact that you need a C-level proficiency in the German language.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by kingso4love: 5:39am On Oct 16, 2016
Thank you guys for helping out somuch here, I have been reading de trend from 1st to last...

I want to ask and know, how many months or years do the give imigrant who want to seek isylum in swiss??
Do the feed and pay them while living as an isylum/refugee there??
Can the be allowed to move around the country and beyond and also possible do little jobs while living there as isylum/refugee??

Please gurus in the house I need your help, as I want to migrate there and seek for isylum...

Thank you very much for ur urgent responds..
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by ibnhasan: 2:45pm On Nov 12, 2016
Dear all,

Has anyone on this thread been a beneficiary of the Swiss Government research scholarships as advertised here:

https://www.sbfi.admin.ch/sbfi/en/home/topics/swiss-education-area/scholarships-and-grants/swiss-government-excellence-scholarships-for-foreign-scholars-an.html#-2093726589

Please I would like to ask some further questions if there is a beneficiary on this thread.

Thank you
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by randomguy42: 6:43pm On Jan 17, 2017
Hello house, Please i would love to know the minimum GPA requirements in universities in switzerland as i am looking to apply to one of the universities this month... I graduated with 2.2 from a Nigerian University. Thanks
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by randomguy42: 11:21am On Jan 18, 2017
randomguy42:
Hello house, Please i would love to know the minimum GPA requirements in universities in switzerland as i am looking to apply to one of the universities this month... I graduated with 2.2 from a Nigerian University. Thanks
@santino1 @redcliff @justwise @caleycash
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 8:28pm On Jan 18, 2017
I'm not particularly aware of any CGPA criterion for gaining admission to any Swiss university. I guess you should check the website of the school of your choice.

Good luck
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 9:23pm On Jan 18, 2017
randomguy42:

Hi ask your question here so others can learn from it too...

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Crystal Service immigration Scam / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.