Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. (28128 Views)

Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / Nigeria Most Influential Monarch / Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by odumchi: 12:54am On Jan 08, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

exactly lol. Brazilians, cubans, etc. mix yoruba with central african dialects.
the most influence Yoruba has over diaspora blacks both in english speaking and latin american countries is in terms of the deities, particularly "Chango/Shango", otherwise the language is not 100 percent.

i discussed this very topic with some folks who were offended and felt i was trying to downplay yoruba influence (which i admit i was ignorant to) but the bottom line is it's really those with strong ties to Nigeria but live in the diaspora that continue the tradition or expose the culture.

as far as this topic goes I actually heard of Igbos first. I had a class mate that was half igbo/Nigerian and half Trinidadian and he was telling me about his father's background. It was because of that, that I was able to even hear of Yoruba and Hausa through research.

cool
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by balium(m): 1:24am On Jan 08, 2012
me thinks hausa has more influence even up to places like saudi arabia and generally throughout africa. but outside africa i think it is the yorubas.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by balium(m): 1:27am On Jan 08, 2012
BlackPikiN:

I have also noticed the word "chai", "chei" and "chineke me" in most Nigerian songs. 9ice, tuface has used so many Igbo words in their music.
Most Nigerians in the diaspora presently use the words chai and chei these days when they type or communicate.
So is it safe to say Igbo is the most used and influential songs today?
No! So Igbo and yoruba should please shut up abeg.

you are corrrect but you will definately hear more of the yoruba slangs
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AreaFada2: 1:50am On Jan 08, 2012
If a group of people who talk loudly into their phones in all public places, post office, bank, bus, government offices to the consternation of people of host countries means influence, then years.

If inviting two yorubas to your party who never knew each other before and both never speak English again till the party ends means influence, then yes.

If somebody comes to visits you and spend the whole time speaking yoruba into his phone with somebody he/she left at home to the amazement of host means influence, then yes.

Otherwise somebody wants to massage his ego.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:57am On Jan 08, 2012
Area-Fada:

If a group of people who talk loudly into their phones in all public places, post office, bank, bus, government offices to the consternation of people of host countries means influence, then years.

If inviting two yorubas to your party who never knew each other before and both never speak English again till the party ends means influence, then yes.

If somebody comes to visits you and spend the whole time speaking yoruba into his phone with somebody he/she left at home to the amazement of host means influence, then yes.

Otherwise somebody wants to massage his ego.

Substitute the Yoruba in your post with French, Japanese, Chinese, English, German, you will start to see that the problem is not Yoruba but you.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Oba234: 2:43am On Jan 08, 2012
lol, who cares?
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Princek12(m): 3:12am On Jan 08, 2012
Andre Uweh:

I do listen to those musicians more than you.
I listen to Igbo music and know Igbo musicians than you.
Nigerian musicians who chip in Yoruba or sing in Yoruba is either born in Lagos or reside in Lagos. Why is it difficult for people to understand this. Does Victor Uwaifor sing in Yoruba, how about Nkem Owoh, Patience Ozokwor, Sir WARRIOR etc.
The problem with you guys is your inability to step foot outside Yorubaland.
Just tell me musicians from the east who do not reside in Yorubaland that sings in Yoruba.

Timaya, the son of Bayelsa, uses Yoruba in his songs. He was neither born nor raised in Lagos.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by aljharem(m): 3:16am On Jan 08, 2012
odumchi:

Ashawo isn't exclusively Yoruba. It's not a corruption of anything since it has no meaning in English. The term Ashawo has been diffused into the Anglophone West-African dictionary and is present in various languages ranging from Ghanaian Twi to Efik. Anyway, if you want to argue about the origin of Ashawo, there's a thread for that I can provide you with a link.

Anyway, the name of the song isn't even "Ashawo" it's "Nwa Baby". People just remember it as "Ashawo" because that's a chant in the song. My point is that the song doesn't have any Yoruba in it but yet everyone on this thread knows it.

Some of you people say rubbish at time without proper verification of what you are saying

Ashawo is a yoruba word meaning money changer because prositutes usually have money which a man can exchange

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wwkozSXDe_kC&pg=PA53&dq=Ashawo+word+yoruba&hl=en&sa=X&ei=aPsIT4uoPI2FhQfxvamHBQ&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Ashawo%20word%20yoruba&f=false

Here is even ghanians and calabar people educating some of you about Nigerian words and their orgin

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cDYL4unSDHkC&pg=PA83&dq=Ashawo+word+yoruba&hl=en&sa=X&ei=aPsIT4uoPI2FhQfxvamHBQ&ved=0CEMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Ashawo%20word%20yoruba&f=false
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by aljharem(m): 3:18am On Jan 08, 2012
Princek12:

Timaya, the son of Bayelsa, uses Yoruba in his songs. He was neither born nor raised in Lagos.

Yoruba is not the most influential language

I wonder why you brought out a topic like this ?

Hausa is the most influenial language in Nigeria and abroad

followed by the Yorubas

then Igbos

then fulani and Ijaw, edo

then the Ibibios etc
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:54am On Jan 08, 2012
odumchi:

cool

wink wink

alj harem:

Yoruba is not the most influential language

I wonder why you brought out a topic like this ?

Hausa is the most influenial language in Nigeria and abroad

followed by the Yorubas

then Igbos

then fulani and Ijaw, edo

then the Ibibios etc

you're mixed right? so can you understand both igbo and yoruba?
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by ektbear: 4:32am On Jan 08, 2012
In a nutshell, yoruba rawwwwkk cool
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by scholes0(m): 4:48am On Jan 08, 2012
I would say Yoruba is the most Influential language in Nigeria, and one of Africa's most well known.

Hausa is spoken everywhere Hausa are, because most cant speak any other language, but Hausa {Illiterate in short}
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by aljharem(m): 5:03am On Jan 08, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

wink wink

you're mixed right? so can you understand both igbo and yoruba?

yep both but not perfectly though

happy new year smiley
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by yommy2sure(m): 5:08am On Jan 08, 2012
most arguments here are rather shallow and immature, most influential and popular (i speak of majority not all) nija musician put yoruba in their songs, odas put ibo and even hausa(darey, styl-plus), but in truth yoruba takes the lead and talking about outside the country, i hav not travelled out but i know in places that are popular like Uk, Us, etc yorubas hav registered their presence more than any oda nija tribe, one admirable thing about the yorubas is that no matter where they r and even if they cant speak the language, they still keep their names.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:36am On Jan 08, 2012
this thread too funny jor grin grin abeg make una ride on with this yan, afterall who really cares? them dey give award?
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AreaFada2: 6:41am On Jan 08, 2012
Aigbofa:

Substitute the Yoruba in your post with French, Japanese, Chinese, English, German, you will start to see that the problem is not Yoruba but you.

No way: Having studied with all those nationalities you have mentioned and more, they are way too civil to do so.

I show consideration for others and try include them and not exclude them. The same reason Midwest left Western region by referendum.

"On my right sits the Oni of Ife; On my left, the Leader of our Government, Obafemi Awolowo. The Voice of the West is complete"- Alake of Abeokuta, January 7, 1952 in Western Parliament. Total disregard for all the royal fathers and delegates from what became midwest. Don't tell me the japanes and chinese did same.

Of course you won't know this history.

The most annoying thing is them asking you why don't speak Yoruba when you live Europe, imagine.

Apart from Japanese and Chinese, I speak all the languages you mentioned, and that's because I wanted to. No body forced them on me.

"
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by ezeagu(m): 6:43am On Jan 08, 2012
Okay, so no one has even explained what they mean by influential.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by BlackPikiN(m): 6:53am On Jan 08, 2012
alj harem:

yep both but not perfectly though

happy new year smiley

You are mixed Kanuri, Hausa, Yoruba and Islam. With Islam controlling 80% of your brain!
You will rot in if you ever add Igbo to your stupid self.
Onye ara, anumanu!
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:08am On Jan 08, 2012
Narrow-minded Nigerians again. In addition to knowing the local languages, do you speak French for example? If you want to talk about languages outside Nigeria please stop deceiving yourselves with Nigerian languages.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Hardeihorllah(m): 1:41pm On Jan 08, 2012
And since when has travelling become a means of determining the wealth, knowledge and level of exposure? Some that had travelled only to be stranded in thier lands of sojourn has now become means of boasting to thier brethren at home. Some people are just shameless deffending what they ought to be ashamed of!
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 2:39pm On Jan 08, 2012
Princek12:

Timaya was not born or raised in Lagos, yea, right. But Timaya resides in Lagos now.
Even at that, Ogologo mma agha and other songs Timaya sang in Igbo are hit songs, yet he is not Igbo neither has he resided in Igboland before.
Once again I maintain that musicians who sang in Yoruba or chip in Yoruba are the ones in Lagos or raised in Lagos.
Secondly, The U.K is the only place Yoruba language is more influential than others.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Princek12(m): 3:20pm On Jan 08, 2012
Andre Uweh:

Timaya was not born or raised in Lagos, yea, right. But Timaya resides in Lagos now.
Even at that, Ogologo mma agha and other songs Timaya sang in Igbo are hit songs, yet he is not Igbo neither has he resided in Igboland before.
Once again I maintain that musicians who sang in Yoruba or chip in Yoruba are the ones in Lagos or raised in Lagos.
Secondly, The U.K is the only place Yoruba language is more influential than others.

Yoruba is more influential in Yankee, too, and in many European countries. And the fact that Timaya presently resides in Lagos still does not change the fact that he was neither born nor raised in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 3:32pm On Jan 08, 2012
Princek12:

Yoruba is more influential in Yankee, too, and in many European countries. And the fact that Timaya presently resides in Lagos still does not change the fact that he was neither born nor raised in Lagos.
Are just joking or what?. Even in America that Ndigbo outnumbers the Yorubas x3.
Please do not go there.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by dayokanu(m): 3:35pm On Jan 08, 2012
^^ Like I advised you, stick to what you know

Where in Yankee do Ibos outnumber Yorubas ?
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 4:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
All the states.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by dayokanu(m): 4:19pm On Jan 08, 2012
lol

States like Abia Imo and Enugu abi?
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by SEFAGO(m): 5:10pm On Jan 08, 2012
this takes the cake for dumbest debates of all time.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by SegzyJoe(m): 11:17pm On Jan 08, 2012
In 1990 - 1993 alone my aunty helped recruited Yoruba teachers to Europe mostly Uk, then there high demand for yoruba teachers by the whites who thought Yoruba is the only tribe in Africa most populous nation. The truth be told, Yoruba language and cultural influence cannot be compared with any other Nigerian languages especially in Europe and Latin and American continents. This partially due to many factors among which are contact with lagos as port of call by most Europeans, Slave trade itself that saw many Yoruba taken to Europe and Americas, and the influence of Yoruba intelligentsia who have been working with intellectuals from European and America and Latin America countries. Again, Yoruba cherished their culture, this reflected in their names, they use more of their native name than every other tribes in Nigeria except Hausas. Unlike many easterners and South South that are at home using English names, even when Yorubas have baptisma name, such is relegated to the background.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by OneNaira6: 4:40am On Jan 09, 2012
Comeon can we be realistic for once

The most influential Nigerian language outside of Nigeria is Hausa followed by Fulani. They speak Hausa and Fulani in all West African country, then Sudan, etc.

Igbo and Yoruba are neutral. Few bits of Yoruba language are known similar to how few bits of Igbo are known.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by ektbear: 5:52am On Jan 09, 2012
Andre Uweh:

All the states.

This is false. Maryland, Virginia, New York, there are more Yoruba than Igbo. Like, a lot more. Yoruba are probably the largest sub-saharan African ethnic group in Maryland, period.

Texas and California, more Igbo that Yoruba.

Overall probably more Igbo than Yoruba in the US.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Hope4pple: 10:22am On Jan 09, 2012
I'm amazed at how people get so riled about a post that's clearly divisive.

BTW, I'm Yoruba on my paternal side, and Benin on my maternal side (I speak both languages); I see myself as Nigerian because that's the only way forward.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Emir of Bauchi's Brother, Rilwanu Sulaiman Adamu, Found Dead (Photos) / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians / Igbo Slang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.