Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,991 members, 7,803,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup (12222 Views)

Would You Eat This Snake Pepper Soup? (Photo) / See The Big Snake That Was Killed For Pepper Soup -- ( Pics) / Snake Pepper Soup Prepared By A Nairalander With Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by calibet(m): 1:51am On Jan 06, 2012
http://9jagist.com/index.php?topic=55.0
MAUREEN AZUH, who visited a relaxation joint in Lagos, tells how snake pepper soup is prepared and served there

An average Lagosian is fun-loving. After the day’s activities usually marked by traffic challenges, everyone is on the lookout for where to relax and relive the events of the day.

Being a largely mega setting, such relaxation spots are everywhere in Lagos. In some places there are even more than one on a street, some tastefully furnished and others built in makeshift forms. The most important thing, however, is that they all offer different delicacies.

Ejo Village is one of such spots. It is located in Agbelekale area of Abule Egba, a Lagos suburb. At the joint , assorted delicacies such as antelope and alligator are offered, but their star menu is snake pepper soup.

Although Ejo (Snake) Village is located in a rather secluded area, the proprietor of the popular joint, Mrs. Basirat Akinlade, says she has been in the business for over 10 years. According to her, the business is borne out of the desire to do something other than the usual “point and kill” affair that is the toast of many fun lovers in Lagos.

Although busy frying some of the colourful snake meat for preservation, she explains, “I never thought I would do this kind of business. A friend introduced it to me. I started with cow tail, pomo and fish pepper soup. Then later I went to Sango and met some other people who sell bush meat such as antelope, grass cutter and even alligator. Every body sells cow tail and fish pepper soup. So, I decided to do something different, I don’t see anything unusual about it. My customers cut across different classes, some who want to have a taste but feel shy, send people to buy on their behalf.”

A plate of the spiced pepper soup with a chunk of snake meat either fresh – sold especially on market days when the snakes are brought in – or fried costs N300. Akinlade says she has never had any problem with patronage and nobody has ever made her feel she is doing something out of the ordinary.

She, however, explains that unlike the ‘point and kill’ affair – in which case a customer points at a live fish or animal desired and asks the seller to kill and cook it for him – she does not breed the snakes in her home. She buys from a market in Badagry or Cotonou – where they are bred for commercial purposes. She then soaks the entire length in hot water to get rid of the scales, before cutting into her desired size. According to her, the snakes come in different prices, depending on the specie and, of course, size. An average-sized Python sells for N7,000 while another type the Yoruba call manamana, which she sells regularly, costs N3,000.

“Pythons cost more because they are hardly available. Sometimes we get to buy just one in a year but I sell more of manamana, which is readily available, ” she says.

On some of the challenges she faces in the business, Akinlade says, most of them have to do with transporting the snakes in their full length from Badagry or Cotonou as the case may be to her place. She says sometimes she has to carry more than one sack, “And if you are wondering how I do this, you should know that I have been in this business for so long that I don’t fear snakes anymore,” she notes.

She also says electricity is another major challenge, which is the reason why she fries the meat.

Although she makes a living selling spiced snake pepper soup, she does not prepare her household food with the meat. It is strictly business and a means of livelihood.

While there may be divergent opinions on snake meat consumption, a nutritionist at the University of Ibadan, Dr. Rasaki Sanusi, says eating it is like eating any other kind of meat.

“Generally, all meat from whatever source can be eaten provided there is no toxic substance in them before they are consumed, and provided they are cooked thoroughly. The emphasis is on thorough cooking because that will get rid of some of the toxic substances. Though there are some animals that are toxic themselves, so whether they are thoroughly cooked, it does not remove the toxin,” he says.

Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by dollya(f): 4:20am On Jan 10, 2012
eating snake meat is sooooooooooooo disgusting undecided . ughrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by calibet(m): 11:15am On Jan 28, 2012
not to every one some it it very delicious
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by MissyB3(f): 11:39am On Jan 28, 2012
Yuck! grin
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by GWslim(f): 4:45pm On Jan 28, 2012
dolly a:

eating snake meat is sooooooooooooo disgusting undecided . ughrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I disagree. You need to try it first b4 your conclusion.
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Fhemmmy: 8:12pm On Jan 28, 2012
As long as the people eating it are aware, then, she is just cutting a nitch for herself. . .
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by yme1(f): 11:17pm On Jan 29, 2012
vile !!
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by dominique(f): 8:27pm On Jan 30, 2012
I heard the meat looks and tastes a bit like fish. I suppose the day i'll get to eat it is the day i'm dying of starvation and its the absolute last meal in the world.
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by lepasharon(f): 1:25am On Feb 02, 2012
unclean angry
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 03, 2012
only had it once and i never knew it was snake till the guy told me and frankly i was shocked but not mad cos it did taste really good
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by vincey(m): 3:54pm On Feb 03, 2012
If you have not tasted it, then u re sitting on a Lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng thing, Snake meat is like every other meat

1 Like

Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Nobody: 3:58pm On Feb 03, 2012
Nah way! Had the chance to eat it but declined it out-rightly. People who eat snake are most prompt with the spirit of deceptive.
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Nobody: 4:04pm On Feb 03, 2012
vincey:

If you have not tasted it, then u re sitting on a Lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng thing, Snake meat is like every other meat
grin grin grin
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Nobody: 4:05pm On Feb 03, 2012
yorke:

Nah way! Had the chance to eat it but declined it out-rightly. People who eat snake are most prompt with the spirit of deceptive.
WHAT! nigerians plssssssssss expand your horizon  and stop allowing these pastors and politicians becloud your view on the world
snake,spirit of deception
all the 419 boys in naija and the politicians must be serious snake peppersoup lovers then
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by stagger: 4:05pm On Feb 03, 2012
Uuuueeeeeaaaaaaggggghhhhr!

I'd rather stick to what I already know.

oopps, I have to go back to the toilet again. I think I am about to throw up again embarassed
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by eghost247(m): 4:06pm On Feb 03, 2012
[size=20pt]IYA BASIRA!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/size]
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by polob: 4:10pm On Feb 03, 2012
Therez nothing disgusting there, though one man's meat could be poison 2 other. Av tasted it once, its just like eating fresh fish; very nice. Call me when its ready; i cant stand the  preparation processes, I hate live snake.
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Outstrip(f): 4:11pm On Feb 03, 2012
Please I have to draw the line somewhere

1 Like

Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Nobody: 4:13pm On Feb 03, 2012
all the 419 boys in naija and the politicians must be serious snake peppersoup lovers then
[quote][/quote]
Maybe.
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Yinkay: 4:14pm On Feb 03, 2012
Rattlesnake (Whole) Skinned and Semi-Boneless, Avg. 3 lb. Package
Price: Call to place an Order

Rattlesnake (Whole) Skinned and Semi-Boneless, Avg. 3 lb. Package

http://www.exoticmeatsandmore.com/rattlesnake.aspx

It is a niche market not yet explored,
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by dejust(m): 4:15pm On Feb 03, 2012
It is abnormal meat, therefore it is abnormal to eat it though it is a good source of protens.
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 03, 2012
One man's snake is another mans poison, Am happy for the lady,

yorke:

Na wa o, so people wey dey chop goat nko? and cow? and turkey? Abi bible no say be wise as serpents, na u sabi, me i 1 wise o, NONSENSEEEE,

1 Like

Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by freecocoa(f): 4:33pm On Feb 03, 2012
I've not eaten fish pepper soup before na snake I go come chop? Tufiakwa,even if you pay me to I won't.
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by victorazy(m): 4:34pm On Feb 03, 2012
The best pepper soup ever
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by brainpulse: 4:36pm On Feb 03, 2012
i ATE PYTHON FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE AT AKPABUYO IN CRIVER STATE WERE I SERVED AND IT WAS VERY TASTY, I ATE ALSO ANTELOPE MEAT WITH BOIL PLANTAIN, ROASTED MONKEY.
tHE OTHER TIME WE BOUGHT PYTHON OURSELVES FORM THE AKWA IBOM AND I PREPARED AND FRIED IT MYSELF WITH PEPPER TO GARNISH, IT WS DELICIOUS I AM TELLING YOU, THE OTHER CORPERS THAT WERE AFRAID JOINED US AFTER RECENT ONES
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by sicily4u: 4:43pm On Feb 03, 2012
Any difference between serpent and snake ?
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Koolking(m): 4:56pm On Feb 03, 2012
****puke****

disgusting aaaaaaahhhhhhh!

1 Like

Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by nasty45(m): 5:14pm On Feb 03, 2012
brainpulse:

i ATE PYTHON FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE AT AKPABUYO IN CRIVER STATE WERE I SERVED AND IT WAS VERY TASTY, I ATE ALSO ANTELOPE MEAT WITH BOIL PLANTAIN, ROASTED MONKEY.
tHE OTHER TIME WE BOUGHT PYTHON OURSELVES FORM THE AKWA IBOM AND I PREPARED AND FRIED IT MYSELF WITH PEPPER TO GARNISH, IT WS DELICIOUS I AM TELLING YOU, THE OTHER CORPERS THAT WERE AFRAID JOINED US AFTER RECENT ONES
correct guy.AKPABUYO is the place man.u forgot to add PALM PALM also.wel for those who dont knw,i unknowingly tasted it wen i was a kid,my yoruba nebo cooked wit it n i ate.it actually tasted lyk fish.since then i avnt.AM ABOUT TO TRY DOG MEAT SHA,STIL THINKIN
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by dollya(f): 5:18pm On Feb 03, 2012
GWslim:

I disagree. You need to try it first b4 your conclusion.
god forbid!!!!!!!!!! i ll rather starve lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 03, 2012
Though my mom told me its spicy, but i've neva taisted one nd i wont try it, TUFIAKWA
Re: Feeding Lagos With Snake Pepper Soup by mobf: 5:28pm On Feb 03, 2012
victorazy:

The best pepper soup ever
+100 wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jevinik Restaurant In Lagos - Phone Number / Ten Animals Eaten Alive By Humans / Who Eats Dog Meat(404)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.