Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech (31394 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / Jonathan's Speech At The UN General Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by erith: 10:14pm On Jan 07, 2012
What a disgrace. This guy is brainless ,who does he think he is fooling?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by cclemmy: 10:15pm On Jan 07, 2012
is there going to be strike on monday?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Remii(m): 10:15pm On Jan 07, 2012
^^^^ you can bank on that
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by EPOMA(m): 10:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
efisher:

Many of you are conveniently avoiding all the other points in 12 & 13. You are only focusing on the 25% cut. Let's be sincere, GEJ is doing exactly what most of us have been asking for here on NL. Ignoring those points is just a sign of bitterness on our part.

you and beaf should shuut up
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by shokayz(m): 10:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
rafhell:

i am sorry to say that majority of nigerians on nairaland are either fools or are deliberately working against the progress of this country called nigeria.

why cant u all reason with your president and see that fuel subsidy removal is a necessary step.

what we should have been protesting for is good government
Your name sef sounds evil ''raf-HELL'' so is ur tot. Fool
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by son5070: 10:17pm On Jan 07, 2012
Come on Guys,give ur President a break!If i were  you name calling gurus,I will show some patience n Respect n take time to see if this policy works for Nigerians.For all i know this man may be doing our generation and ones to come a big favour but here we are on wide world web calling for his crucification.May God help him as he lead this difficult people.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by ARareGem(f): 10:18pm On Jan 07, 2012
The one thing that boggles my mind is why the president is not listening to Nigerians?? There he goes talking about sacrificing. He is not asking for sacrifice by increasing fuel price over a 100%. He is asking for our dead bodies! But I fear for the outcome of the proposed strike.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by gempo(m): 10:19pm On Jan 07, 2012
Am dissapointed with the 25% cut just in the basic salary of politicians. If he is serious, he should make it 50% cut in both salary and allowances.
Then we can start listening to him.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by ade80: 10:19pm On Jan 07, 2012
He should work on power generation so we don't have to spend alot of money on fueling generators, then there will be more money for people to invest which will impact positively on the economy.
He should work on the ports, ships bringing in fuel don't berth at our ports cause we don't have the capacity for them, so the berth on the high seas and discharge fuel to smaller ships who bring them to the port. This makes it easy for petroleum marketeer to falsify papers and divert fuel to other countries
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by 989900: 10:20pm On Jan 07, 2012
i am sorry to say that majority of nigerians on nairaland are either fools or are deliberately working against the progress of this country called nigeria.

why cant u all reason with your president and see that fuel subsidy removal is a necessary step.

what we should have been protesting for is good government

Nigerians can't see reason because,

1. They've been told even better love strories time and time again and have been jilted.

2. How can you trust your president that wants to cut 25% on basic salary but still spends almost 300million naira on refreshments only. Not feeding proper o.

3.  If pump price jumps to N141/litre my president's friends (same old oil cabal and friends of PDP and some foreign investors) would kick start their refineries (which by the way, they already have about 20 issued licences for), making insane profit off Nigerians. With the gov't assisting them to make sure our own refineries don't ever work again.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by BIGERBOY1: 10:20pm On Jan 07, 2012
Did u guys watch 9 o'clock news today and see all those transport, Market women, and bla bla association endorsing the policy,

Just reminds me of pre election okada men, witches and bla bla association endorsing GEJ.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 07, 2012
son5070:

Come on Guys,give your President a break!If i were  you name calling gurus,I will show some patience n Respect n take time to see if this policy works for Nigerians.For all i know this man may be doing our generation and ones to come a big favour but here we are on wide world web calling for his crucification.May God help him as he lead this difficult people.

Comot there.How can God help somebody that was rigged into power by the people that looted Nigeria to this stage ? Abeg dont mention God when talking about jonathan instead curse him and his generation.Nonsense
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by IbroSaunks(m): 10:21pm On Jan 07, 2012
son5070:

Come on Guys,give your President a break!If i were  you name calling gurus,I will show some patience n Respect n take time to see if this policy works for Nigerians.For all i know this man may be doing our generation and ones to come a big favour but here we are on wide world web calling for his crucification.May God help him as he lead this difficult people.
good one!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by mobf: 10:23pm On Jan 07, 2012
ARareGem:

The one thing that boggles my mind is why the president is not listening to Nigerians?? There he goes talking about sacrificing. He is not asking for sacrifice by increasing fuel price over a 100%. He is asking for our dead bodies! But I fear for the outcome of the proposed strike.
Thank you very much
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by EPOMA(m): 10:23pm On Jan 07, 2012
MAYOWAAK:

Here is the advance copy of another national broadcast slated for 9:00 PM Nigerian time by President Goodluck Jonathan tonight.

Dear Compatriots: 1.     A week ago, I had cause to address Nigerians on the security challenges we are facing in parts of the country, which necessitated the declaration of a state of emergency in 15 Local Government Areas in four states of the Federation. That course of action attracted widespread support and a demonstration of understanding. With that declaration, government had again signaled its intention to combat terrorism with renewed vigour and to assure every Nigerian of safety.

2.    The support that we have received in the fight against terrorism from concerned Nigerians at home and abroad has been remarkable. We believe that it is with such continued support that progress can be made on national issues. Let me express my heartfelt appreciation to everyone who has expressed a commitment to support us as we strive to improve on the country’s security situation, and build a stronger foundation for the future.  The recent mindless acts of violence in Gombe, Potiskum, Jimeta-Yola and Mubi are unfortunate. I urge all Nigerians to eschew bitterness and acrimony and live together in harmony and peace. Wherever there is any threat to public peace, our security agencies will enforce the law, without fear or favour.

3.    This evening, I address you, again, with much concern over an issue that borders on the national economy, the oil industry and national progress.  As part of our efforts to transform the economy and guarantee prosperity for all Nigerians, Government, a few days ago, announced further deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. The immediate effect of this has been the removal of the subsidy on petrol.

4.    Since the announcement, there have been mixed reactions to the policy. Let me seize this opportunity to assure all Nigerians that I feel the pain that you all feel.  I personally feel pained to see the sharp increase in transport fares and the prices of goods and services. I share the anguish of all persons who had travelled out of their stations, who had to pay more on the return leg of their journeys.

5.    If I were not here to lead the process of national renewal, if I were in your shoes at this moment, I probably would have reacted in the same manner as some of our compatriots, or hold the same critical views about government.  But I need to use this opportunity as your President to address Nigerians on the realities on the ground, and why we chose to act as we did. I know that these are not easy times. But tough choices have to be made to safeguard the economy and our collective survival as a nation.

6.     My fellow Nigerians, the truth is that we are all faced with two basic choices with regard to the management of the downstream petroleum sector: either we deregulate and survive economically, or we continue with a subsidy regime that will continue to undermine our economy and potential for growth, and face serious consequences.

7.    As you all know, the subject of deregulation is not new, we have been grappling with it for more than two decades. Previous administrations tinkered with the pump price of petroleum products, and were unable to effect complete deregulation of the downstream sector. This approach has not worked.  If it did, we would not be here talking about deregulation today. I understand fully well that deregulation is not a magic formula that will address every economic challenge, but it provides a good entry point for transforming the economy, and for ensuring transparency and competitiveness in the oil industry, which is the mainstay of our economy.

8.    As a President, elected and supported by ordinary Nigerians, and the vast majority of our people, I have a duty to bring up policies and programmes that will grow the economy and bring about greater benefits for the people.  Let me assure you that as your President, I have no intention to inflict pain on Nigerians.

9.     The deregulation of the petroleum sector is a necessary step that we had to take. Should we continue to do things the same way, and face more serious economic challenges? Or deregulate, endure the initial discomfort and reap better benefits later? I want to assure every Nigerian that whatever pain you may feel at the moment, will be temporary.

10.    The interest of the ordinary people of this country will always remain topmost in my priorities as a leader. I remain passionately committed to achieving significant and enduring improvements in our economy that will lead to sustained improvement in the lives of our people.

11.    I am determined to leave behind a better Nigeria, which we all can be proud of. To do so, I must make sure that we have the resources and the means to grow our economy to be resilient, and to sustain improved livelihood for our people. We must act in the public interest, no matter how tough, for the pains of today cannot be compared to the benefits of tomorrow.  On assumption of office as President, I swore to an oath to always act in the best interest of the people. I remain faithful to that undertaking.

12.     To save Nigeria, we must all be prepared to make sacrifices.  On the part of Government, we are taking several measures aimed at cutting the size and cost of governance, including on-going and continuous effort to reduce the size of our recurrent expenditure and increase capital spending. In this regard, I have directed that overseas travels by all political office holders, including the President, should be reduced to the barest minimum. The size of delegations on foreign trips will also be drastically reduced; only trips that are absolutely necessary will be approved.

13.    For the year 2012, the basic salaries of all political office holders in the Executive arm of government will be reduced by 25%. Government is also currently reviewing the number of committees, commissions and parastatals with overlapping responsibilities. The Report on this will be submitted shortly and the recommendations will be promptly implemented. In the meantime, all Ministries, Departments and Agencies must reduce their overhead expenses.

14.    We are all greatly concerned about the issue of corruption. The deregulation policy is the strongest measure to tackle this challenge in the downstream sector. In addition, government is taking other steps to further sanitize the oil industry.

15.    To ensure that the funds from petroleum subsidy removal are spent prudently on projects that will build a greater Nigeria, I have established a committee to oversee the implementation of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme. I sincerely believe that the reinvestment of the petroleum subsidy funds, to ensure improvement in national infrastructure, power supply, transportation, irrigation and agriculture, education, healthcare, and other social services, is in the best interest of our people.

16.    Fellow Nigerians, I know that the removal of the petroleum subsidy imposes an initial burden on our people, especially the rising cost of transportation.  Government will be vigilant and act decisively to curb the excesses of those that want to exploit the current situation for selfish gains.  I plead for the understanding of all Nigerians.  I appeal to our youth not to allow mischief-makers to exploit present circumstances to mislead or incite them to disturb public peace.

17.     To address the immediate challenges that have been identified, I have directed all Ministries, Departments and Agencies of government to embark immediately on all projects, which have been designed to cushion the impact of the subsidy removal in the short, medium and long-term, as outlined in the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme Document.

18.     Tomorrow, 8th January, I will formally launch a robust mass transit intervention programme to bring down the cost of transportation across the country. The programme will be implemented in partnership with state and local governments, labour unions, transport owners, and banking institutions, and supported with the provision of funding at zero interest rate as well as import duty waiver on all needed parts for locally-made mass transit vehicles, which will create additional jobs in the economy.

19.    We will keep these incentives in place for as long as it takes. I want to assure you that Government will not rest until we bring down the cost of transportation for our people.  Let me thank the transporters’ associations that have agreed to reduce transport fares. I have directed the Minister of Labour and Productivity to work with these associations to come up with a sustainable plan to guarantee this within the shortest possible time.

20.     In addition, I have ordered the mobilization of contractors for the full rehabilitation of the Port Harcourt –Maiduguri Railway Line and the completion of the Lagos-Kano Railway Line. I have also directed the immediate commencement of a Public Works programme that will engage the services of about 10, 000 youths in every state of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory. This will create an additional 370, 000 jobs.

21.    Government has taken these decisions in the best interest of our economy, so that we not only have benefits today, but to ensure that we bequeath even greater benefits to our children and grandchildren.

22.     Let me assure Nigerians that every possible effort will be made to ensure that we march forward, with a collective resolve to build a Nigeria that can generate greater economic growth, create and sustain new jobs, and secure the future of our children.

23.     This Administration will aggressively implement its programme to reposition and strengthen our economy, while paying adequate attention to the immediate needs of our citizens.

24.     I assure you all that we will work towards achieving full domestic refining of petroleum products with the attendant benefits.

25.     As I ask for the full understanding of all Nigerians, I also promise that I will keep my word.

26.    Thank you. May God bless you; and may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR
President
Federal Republic of Nigeria
January 7, 2012

EMBARGOED: NOT FOR BROADCAST BEFORE 9.00PM, JANUARY 7, 2012 

http://saharareporters.com/press-release/jonathan-stick-his-guns-give-another-national-broadcast-deregulation-downstream-petrol

12. you could have reduce the money allocated for travel in your budget if you meant well

13.How many political office holder dey Executive arms of goverment. most of the money spent is not the salaries  dumb

14. you are only worried about corruption in the downstream, what about the upstream that you have ministers and your adviser like otedula
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by ARareGem(f): 10:24pm On Jan 07, 2012
Timmy321:

JONATHAN You're MAD and CRAZY. What did you understand about pains? GOD WILL PUNISH YOU, YOUR CHILDREN AND YOU CHILDREN'S CHILDREN. All your Generations will LIVE AND DIE IN PAINS. silly president. Headless man

Take it easy!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by ZiggyHimself(m): 10:26pm On Jan 07, 2012
Did you miss the video?

Click below to watch it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVxxdvxWVnw&feature=youtu.be
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Ndkings1(m): 10:26pm On Jan 07, 2012
And what did he say
about issue of 30 christians includin 20 igbo people dat where kild widin a space of 48hours by boko haram?
It seems, this stewpid man has no any feelin 4 the lives of this inoccent pple. Or is it because they r not his fellow ijaws that ar bein masakad?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by muyoto: 10:27pm On Jan 07, 2012
gempo:

Am dissapointed with the 25% cut just in the basic salary of politicians. If he is serious, he should make it 50% cut in both salary and allowances.
Then we can start listening to him.

bros disappointment never start o!

BASIC SALARY UNDERLINED. he made no mention of the obscenely profligate allowances, some as much as 100% of the basic that accompany their emoluments.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 07, 2012
i honestly think we should give GEJ a chance.

the problem is that nigerians are too conservative people who dont like change.

wake up guys and see the reality on ground.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by liteleto: 10:27pm On Jan 07, 2012
Jona,No mata hw melodramatic u r,no mata d amt of grama U use 2 gain pityful support dt is no longer available. Nigerians r prepared 4 u. Vox populi vox dei!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by gaddafe(m): 10:28pm On Jan 07, 2012
Is that what NairaLand is all about. To come to a public forum and rain abuses on your president. Fuccck NL and fucck y'all.
   Even though i don't support fuel subsidy but to come out and rain abuses on an elderly man like that was not part of my training. Gosh!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by aurenflani: 10:29pm On Jan 07, 2012
@son5070 - the only help God will give him at this moment is the wisdom to reverse that monsterous cancer called SUBSIDY REMOVAL. He is going to remain vigilant against those who would take advantage. he is definately disconnect from realities on ground.
Does he even know that the cancer he infested nigerians with has already started spreading like wild fire? let him try to take a luxurious bus from abuja to yenagoa, and when those ppl in the park tell him he is going to pay triple d normal price even though the buses are using AGO and not petrol & feel what we are feeling first b4 throwing grammar at us. Hypocracy.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by son5070: 10:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Comot there.How can God help somebody that was rigged into power by the people that looted Nigeria to this stage ? Abeg dont mention God when talking about jonathan instead curse him and his generation.Nonsense

Dude you cannot be d judge no matter what you think you know.Never judge when u know not d truth!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Starlett: 10:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
Shame on GEJ appologists like Beaf.
At least this shows that the govt knows that all the arguments of Labour and the Masses against Govt's wasteful spending and corruption are spot on!
Sorry, GEJ, THIS IS REALLY TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE.

If anything, this belated half-measure speech has only strengthened Labour and the masses to realize that GEJ and his goons are now jittery over the approaching zero hour for the start of the strikes.

Watch us, as we proceed to shut down the nation, !!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by muyoto: 10:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
[
c_clemmy:

is there going to be strike on monday?

you dey this country at all?  grin tongue
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by MT: 10:32pm On Jan 07, 2012
Lest I forget, cant the National Assembly members with their counterparts in House of Representatives sacrifice large portion of their incriminating, over bloated salaries and allowances ??.

Just a thought tho
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 07, 2012
son5070:

Dude you cannot be d judge no matter what you think you know.Never judge when u know not d truth!

My advice is that you dont go out there and talk this thrash else you may be mobbed.People are angry and you are preaching.WTF
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by makonko(m): 10:33pm On Jan 07, 2012
same sh**t wrapped in a different package
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by 989900: 10:34pm On Jan 07, 2012
Is that what NairaLand is all about. To come to a public forum and rain abuses on your president. Fuccck NL and fucck y'all.
  Even though i don't support fuel subsidy but to come out and rain abuses on an elderly man like that was not part of my training. Gosh!

While for the one part some might think you actually make a pinch of sense, on the flip side, how are you any different using same curse words.

Some on here are actually old enough to father the president.

If you can't stand the heat, don't venture into the kitchen.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Hardunnii(f): 10:35pm On Jan 07, 2012
25% of basic Why not gross
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by liteleto: 10:35pm On Jan 07, 2012

It is obvious how well brought up u r. Na wao!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Amaechi, Fashola, Fayemi At APC Caucus Meeting (Caption Photo) / PDP Submits Ademola Adeleke's Name To INEC For Approval (Photo) / Inauguration Day: Podium Collapses In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.