Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,588 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria (11670 Views)

Top ISIS Member Arrested While Attempting To Flee To Nigeria / Disabled Men And Women Protesting In PH Now / #occupynigeria: Lagos Protest At Gani Fawehinmi Park, Ojota. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by mrofficial(m): 1:15pm On Jan 08, 2012
On January 9th, 2012, there will be massive protests against the removal of fuel subsidy across Nigeria, barring any intervention. As one who has handled a large amount of criminal defense cases within the past ten (10) years of practicing law, I know that when there is a massive gathering like the ones anticipated protesting actions by the establishment, it increases the likelihood of altercations and arrests. Accordingly, this is a cheat sheet on what to do if you are arrested in Nigeria while protesting against the removal of fuel subsidy this upcoming Monday. Share this article with as many people as possible and tell them to share with others that will also be protesting.

What You Should Know if Arrested While Protesting in Nigeria

[b]1. Chapter IV, Sections 39 and 40 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria gives you the  constitutional right to a freedom of expression and peaceful assembly. [/b]This is a guaranteed right and means you may assemble and protest peacefully against the removal of fuel subsidy, as you intend to.
         2. You DO NOT, under the constitution, have a right to fight, steal, hit others or engage in any criminal activity or conduct just because you are protesting. Such actions means you can and will most likely be arrested, charged if you are lucky, and prosecuted. If you are unlucky, as many incarcerated defendants in Nigeria’s jails and prisons are, then you could be arrested and detained indefinitely i.e. locked up and the keys thrown away with absolutely no due process accorded to you, despite the due process mandate provided in Nigeria’s constitution.
         3. The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), an organization that regulates lawyers and the practice of law in Nigeria, is available, per the decree/order of the NBA President Joseph ’Bodunrin Daudu, to provide  free legal services to secure your release and dismissal of charges filed against you; should you be arrested while legitimately protesting against the removal of fuel subsidy.
         4. You should have the contacts of the appropriate NBA staff handy. For all contacts visit the NBA here. Lagosians, I have listed at the end of this article, NBA representatives and their contacts to have handy culled from the website.
         5. Finally, understand your legal rights and how Nigeria’s Criminal Procedure works when you are arrested. The gist of it is as follows:

What Court has the Power to Hear Your Criminal Case if you are Arrested While Protesting?

The State Federal High Court where you are arrested. This means, for example,  if you are arrested in Lagos, then expect Lagos courts to have jurisdiction (power) to hear your case. Please review the structure of Nigeria’s Legal system here.

What Law Governs?
Nigeria’s Federal Criminal Procedure Act and the respective state criminal procedure laws.

What is Criminal Procedure?
It is the rules of the criminal justice system that help your criminal defense lawyer, prosecutors, judges and the police navigate the criminal courts. This is independent from Nigeria’s Federal Penal Code. The Penal Code sets forth the actual criminal violations you allegedly committed. For example, breach of the peace, unlawful assembly, battery, assault etc.

What Can You Be Charged with While Protesting?
If you do not commit any criminal act, hopefully nothing. If you do, then you can be hit with felony and/or misdemeanor charges. For example, Felony criminal assault, misdemeanor battery etc.

What is a Felony? What is a Misdemeanor?
When a defendant is arrested, with or without a warrant, they have a right to know what they are charged with i.e. the basis for the arrest. Nigeria’s prosecutors can charge criminal defendants with felony and/or misdemeanors offenses. In Nigeria, a felony carries 3years or more prison term while a misdemeanor carries 6months (at a minimum) to 3years jail/prison term.

What Happens When a Person is Arrested in Nigeria?

* Nigeria’s Constitution requires when a police effectuates an arrest without a warrant AND the crime is a non-capital offense, they must release the defendant on bail; IF they cannot bring the defendant before a court within 24hours from the time they arrested and detained such defendant.

How About Bail? How Does that Work?
The police have the broad discretion per the Criminal Procedure Act to determine whether they will grant a criminal defendant bail. The judges/judiciary tend to be passive letting the police basically do whatever they want to do. This creates opportunities of abuse that has been ongoing for decades within the legal justice system, specifically detentions without trials.

How Bad Does it Get with Detentions Without Trials in Nigeria?
According to data collected by human rights organizations within  and outside Nigeria, most of the people who are in Nigeria’s jail/prison system are persons detained without trial who ended up being detained for 16-40years. The outcry from the international community over these atrocities has been huge but it has not really made much of a difference.

I salute and commend all Nigerians fighting for what they believe and will continue to provide as much resources and information as I can that will be helpful to you. Please be safe and understand the issues. You might be asked to articulate your understanding of the issues by a TV reporter or print news media. It would be very helpful if you have a clear grasp of the issues and are protesting because of what you believe because the world is watching.

http://africamusiclaw.com/2012/01/occupynigeria-what-you-should-know-if-arrested-while-protesting-in-nigeria.html

Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 08, 2012
occupy nigeria my ass!!!!
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 08, 2012
Na today? Occupy all u can but leave out the Niger-Delta region
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jan 08, 2012
what if fuel subsidy removal is right for nigeria to move on,

u guyz need to rethink or something very bad will happen to this country.

there are worse things to protest about in nigeria.

open ur eyes and stop being blind fools.

may God open ur blind shallow mind to see where this protest will lead you and i to.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by doctokwus: 1:54pm On Jan 08, 2012
The poster is definitely not in support of d crime,he/she is using d #occupy nigeria symbol as a camouflage,this is govt agent in transparent disguise
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by MrGlobe(m): 1:57pm On Jan 08, 2012
^ beaf and labaran maku. Ignore.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by doctokwus: 1:58pm On Jan 08, 2012
S/body/sth tampered wt my post! It shd read d poster is dfinitely not in support of the S T-RIK-E---
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by Orikinla(m): 2:01pm On Jan 08, 2012
rafhell:

occupy nigeria my Bottom!!!!

You know you are an I-D-I-OT!
For only i-d-i-ots will support an incompetent President.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by Orikinla(m): 2:01pm On Jan 08, 2012
rafhell:

[/quote

You know you are an I-D-I-OT!
For only i-d-i-ots will support an incompetent President.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by doctokwus: 2:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
The poster is dfinitely not in support of d #occupy nigeria movement.He/she is using d symbol to disguise his discouragement of people frm going on st r I ke frm 2moro.
D op is a paid govt sycophant is transparent disguise!
D quest to reclaim nigeria frm d most corrupt &clueless bunch to ever rule us since 1960 starts tomorrow!
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by prodam(m): 2:08pm On Jan 08, 2012
ok
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 2:09pm On Jan 08, 2012
Mr. Globe:

^ beaf and labaran maku. Ignore.
lol
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by Blackteeth(m): 2:11pm On Jan 08, 2012
@rafhell. Nobody is saying fuel subsidy is good, but there are better ways to go about it without causing uproar.
Maybe you are one of those people outside the country who wouldn't feel the pinch.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by oneuniquemind(m): 2:12pm On Jan 08, 2012
@poster,Wat do u bliv?
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by iykak47: 2:14pm On Jan 08, 2012
rafhell:

What an  irony, when diesel which drives production was deregulated few years ago,
nobody ''occupy Nigeria''. (I just don't know the country they occupy presently}.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by mrofficial(m): 2:17pm On Jan 08, 2012
doctokwus:

The poster is definitely not in support of d crime,he/she is using d #occupy nigeria symbol as a camouflage,this is govt agent in transparent disguise

You can say all you like, I've never supported GEJ from the onset. I said it that PDP has nothing to offer Nigerians, that's what you all fail to know.

If there was stable electricity, just stable electricity is enough for me. How long will they keep promising and disbursing without results.

This time, it should be seeing is believing.

#okbye
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by omo9ja1(m): 2:21pm On Jan 08, 2012
I thought the Nigeria police too are part of the protest?
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by sugardaddy1(m): 2:30pm On Jan 08, 2012
9th Janury, 2012 -The beginning of the end of GEJ's clueless rule.
Beaf & Co, pls take note.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by doctokwus: 2:31pm On Jan 08, 2012
Protest is a fundamental right of every citizen.Any advice shd rather b directed @ d nigerian police who av always used force in order to prevent evn d most peaceful protests.Imagine telling organisers certain routes are off limits.Evn in d u.s& uk,a protester can stay outside d white house& downing street respectively,to voice his/her concern or disagreement about a govt policy,but here in nigeria,people we elected, feed,cloth,protect& transport wt our mony deny us that right wt brutal force& one shallow mind s/where can come here& post bul-l sh-it in support of such r-a pe of democracy!
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by dejust(m): 2:32pm On Jan 08, 2012
@mr official it is unfortunate that with your knowledge of law and Nigerian police, you are encouraging Nigerians to go on protest. You know Nigerians very well, so you can easily judge wether their protest will be peaciful or not if there is peaciful demonstration in 9aija police dictionary. Of all the crimes and ofences you listed, you have faild to tell us the ones the one killed in Ilorin and the one in Kano comitted or how you have pursued the case so that their relatives will get justice. I doubt if you are a lawyer, if you are, you are a disgrace to legal profesion. Thanks.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by honeric01(m): 2:42pm On Jan 08, 2012
We shall overcome by next week. its either 65 naira or nothing.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by AjCityOne: 2:55pm On Jan 08, 2012
Can't you guys see that the Jona administration have recruited a handsful of people to go online and promote their agender. Go to everyline online forums and you will see them writing in the favour of the removal. I have compiled most of the argument being made by them, so anytime you see the following:

(1) When government deregulated diesel nothing happened, everyone seem to be going about their business. Why now?

My answer to that is that, how many people use diesel to fuel their car, generator to power their home, office and workshop, fuel to move food stuff, raw material aroiund the country.

(2) Nigerian don't understand that government is saving all these money to do something better for the country.

My answer to that is that nigeria government is riddles with corruption from the lower to the higher level of government and they are telling us that this money will be distributed mong states govenment, local goventment and some govenment bodies that we all know are corrupt to the highiest level. No wonder no Governor, Local government chairman have come out  in support of the preotest because they know more money will be coming their way and that property they cannot afford in Dubai will be a thing of the past.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by mrofficial(m): 2:57pm On Jan 08, 2012
AjCityOne:

Can't you guys see that the Jona administration have recruited a handsful of people to go online and promote their agender. Go to everyline online forums and you will see them writing in the favour of the removal. I have compiled most of the argument being made by them, so anytime you see the following:

(1) When government deregulated diesel nothing happened, everyone seem to be going about their business. Why now?

My answer to that is that, how many people use diesel to fuel their car, generator to power their home, office and workshop, fuel to move food stuff, raw material aroiund the country.

(2) Nigerian don't understand that government is saving all these money to do something better for the country.

My answer to that is that nigeria government is riddles with corruption from the lower to the higher level of government and they are telling us that this money will be distributed mong states govenment, local goventment and some govenment bodies that we all know are corrupt to the highiest level. No wonder no Governor, Local government chairman have come out  in support of the preotest because they know more money will be coming their way and that property they cannot afford in Dubai will be a thing of the past.

Thank you.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by Abayomin70(m): 3:15pm On Jan 08, 2012
AjCityOne:

FACT, GOD BLESS u,u will liv long
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by doctokwus: 3:30pm On Jan 08, 2012
dejust:

@mr official it is unfortunate that with your knowledge of law and Nigerian police, you are encouraging Nigerians to go on protest. You know Nigerians very well, so you can easily judge wether their protest will be peaciful or not if there is peaciful demonstration in 9aija police dictionary. Of all the crimes and ofences you listed, you have faild to tell us the ones the one killed in Ilorin and the one in Kano comitted or how you have pursued the case so that their relatives will get justice. I doubt if you are a lawyer, if you are, you are a disgrace to legal profesion. Thanks.
Jst like GEJ is has entered d record as d most cursed pres,but is probably making light of it,d likes of mr.official will soon start d painful rewards of their sycophancy.No right tinking person,born of a woman,will see this satanic removal& not b in support of citizens fighting against it!Bunch of sycophantic,moronic idi ots!
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by segunjowo(m): 3:37pm On Jan 08, 2012
they cant even arrest me, grin
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by SisiKill1: 4:00pm On Jan 08, 2012
Lmao. . .God, I just love it when we pretend we live in a civilised society.  Yep, knowing these guidelines will be helpful. . . as helpful as a bullet hole in the head. Can you imagine trying to quote "Chapter VI, section 49 and 50, paragraph 21, Quote 40 of the Constitution" to the average policeman who doesn't know the meaning of the word constitution or that it even exists talk more of the contents? Jeedus freaking Christi. . .the comedy!

As a matter of fact, I'll implore the protesters not to even mention the word constitution at all when arrested, You run the risk of getting a thorough beat down. . .in addition to the standard thorough beat down you get immediately they arrest you because Officers Mukaila and Cletus from the Abule Gbogbo Police Division think you just admitted to being a 419er since the only word they are familiar with is the CON in Constitution

I say for your own safety, if you are arrested, just keep mum.  lipsrsealed

On a side note, Rotflmao @ Agender. Is that like being Apolitical or Asexual?    ??
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by Eltonluigi(m): 4:19pm On Jan 08, 2012
Thank god there are still ''pro bono'' in this country.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by bilaya(m): 9:51pm On Jan 08, 2012
Fools.You people can never be original.So because Americans called theirs occupy wall street we are calling ours occupy Nigeria?
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by aljharem(m): 9:55pm On Jan 08, 2012
bilaya:

Fools.You people can never be original.So because Americans called theirs occupy wall street we are calling ours occupy Nigeria?

what an ideeiot, who cares about america ?

Oboy wake up and smell the coffee, the people are fighting against corruption
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by aljharem(m): 9:55pm On Jan 08, 2012
It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing, etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

1. Yes the system/ government is corrupt. In fact the country is teeming in corruption

2. Yes subsidy has to go and everyone supports the FG for that

3. Before the removal of subsidy, build our refinery so we would not have this same issue in the future. If we have our refineries working, we would not be paying subsidy to anyone and we can control the prices of our crude oil as a Nation.

4. Before removal of subsidy , CUT THE COST OF GOVERANCE not just by 25% because the bulk of the money made in government is not through salaries but be over PRICED projects. An average senator in Nigeria collects more than Obama the american president.

5. Now remove subsidy.

Other things people are protesting for because it was a build up of anger since 1970 and this was the opportunity for a revolution are

1. protest against corruption and the arrest of these people

2. protest against boko haram and killing of Christians/igbos

3. protest against the NEGLIGENT of the Niger-delta

4. Building of the Niger Bridge. Must the bridge collapse before we maintain and build the next ? Since we can save lives, why not do it now.

Now what is the point of thinking ahead when there is still corruption and non-accountability in the government ?

What is the point of thinking ahead when the next administration would tell us about removal of subsidy again ?

IS THINKING AHEAD NOT BUILDING OF REFINERIES ?

Is thinking ahead not protesting against corruption ?

In Nigeria today, we have No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also what to use this medium to address people thinking it is an ethnic thing.

I have heard various people saying the protest is against "GEJ" "minority" and other sentimental words to describe the protest.

I would like to educate the people about the politics behind what is happening according to my understanding and I would really appreciate if I can also learn more from other posters home and abroad.

In 2010, Sanusi made speech to the House of reps (HOR) that they were thieves and they are the ones sucking Nigeria dry due to the huge sum of money paid to them monthly. The HOR shut him down and called him all sort of names.

In 2011, Sanusi during the channels debate said 1.6 trillion naira is paid to this people out of 1.8 trillion naira thus 200 billion Naira is left for development of the country.

This people are the senator, governors, HOR, HOA, chairmen and the business men that were labelled as oil benefit thieves.

Now people Imagine 200 billion left for 150 million people in 36 states out of total of 1.8 trillion Naira. Yes I am sure people would agree with me that subsidy has to go !!!!

All am doing here is to make people political aware of the situation right now and lets not forget the Iweala and the IMF factor.

Now people are NOT and I repeat NOT angry at the removal of the subsidy I mean at such rate the paying of subsidy is not sustainable. It has to go at one point or the other, either through GEJ or the next administration. Yes I respect GEJ and Sanusi for thinking ahead of time. That is very commendable but the Issues that cause the subsidy corruption are not yet addressed.

In the future the issue would come up again so what is the point ?.
Re: What You Should Know If Arrested While Protesting In Nigeria #occupynigeria by Beaf: 10:09pm On Jan 08, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Lmao. . .God, I just love it when we pretend we live in a civilised society.  Yep, knowing these guidelines will be helpful. . . as helpful as a bullet hole in the head. Can you imagine trying to quote "Chapter VI, section 49 and 50, paragraph 21, Quote 40 of the Constitution" to the average policeman who doesn't know the meaning of the word constitution or that it even exists talk more of the contents? Jeedus freaking Christi. . .the comedy!

As a matter of fact, I'll implore the protesters not to even mention the word constitution at all when arrested, You run the risk of getting a thorough beat down. . .in addition to the standard thorough beat down you get immediately they arrest you because Officers Mukaila and Cletus from the Abule Gbogbo Police Division think you just admitted to being a 419er since the only word they are familiar with is the CON in Constitution

[size=14pt]I say for your own safety, if you are arrested, just keep mum.[/size]  lipsrsealed

On a side note, Rotflmao @ Agender. Is that like being Apolitical or Asexual?    ??

Fine babe with brains! So, so rare. You set my heart pop'n, hop'n and thump'n!  kiss kiss kiss

Please people Sisi Kill did not write in isiZulu, don't go reeling off the constitution and the requirement for order mandamus to sergeant Nweke or corporal Aliu Al Wathiu, they will think you are abusing their parents and might react an "accidental discharge." This people don't know grammer (to be sincere, they hate it), they only understand, suyaing, peppersouping and pulling the trigger. Nuff said.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ndigbo Muslims After Eid Prayer In Abia / Buhari Writes Reps, Seeks Increase In Petrol Subsidy To ₦4 Trillion / How Nigerian, AU Officials Maltreated, Cheated Ebola Volunteers In Liberia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.