Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders (15588 Views)

Count us out, South-South tells Biafra agitators. Source: Vanguard Newspaper / Biafra: Count Us Out Of Self-determination Move —enugu Igbo Leaders / Count Us Out Of Threats To Southerners – Middle Belt Youth Congress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by karpentar: 8:08am On Jan 10, 2012
lmao

What else is new with these do anything for money people ?

We know they can not sacrifice 1 kobo for their own future and a better Nigeria.

Money comes before country and people.

People who fought injustice for three years can not sacrifice? Your anti Ibo stance is blocking all your memories. Moreover, while should they join a selfish labour strike that is induced by bribery from N1.3trillion strong corrupt marketers?
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Finland(m): 8:08am On Jan 10, 2012
The south-east is full of tribalism - Just because Ngozi is Igbo. . . . . mchew! Shame of you guys!
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Seadox: 8:12am On Jan 10, 2012
igbo people are greedy. With money they can sell their mother. Recal FG have budget money to bribe pple 2 suport dem, i belive the money went 2 igbos. Without dem we wil go on. Day 1 was a sucess. We will continue 2day
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Beaf: 8:13am On Jan 10, 2012
@jp philips
Please try to cut down your volumes of text when you post. It doesn't make sense to write so much most of the time.

As to your charge about the SW being more litterate than the SE, I put that down to ignorance. After Lagos state, the states with the highest litteracy rates are in the SE. Ok? Before you put on the next ethnic gown, I am not from the SE.

As for SE/SS fighting alone (whatever that means), most of you do not realise just how tired of Nigeria those two regions are. Instead of the rest to see this as an opportunity to move away from oil and get their states generating revenue, they are on the warpath. Instead of them to observe the calm in the oil producing areas, they are burning things in a display of ethnic arrogance. Do we not all want true federalism? Under true federalism would you have a subsidy? If not, why the hypocricy? Why cry louder than those whose lands have been polluted and whose air carries cancer, don't you think it is an irony? IMHO, they deserve the subsidy more than you, but they are calm.
At the rate things are going, you might not even have oil to share in the near future, talkless of rioting because of it.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 8:14am On Jan 10, 2012
Finland:

The south-east is full of tribalism - Just because Ngozi is Igbo. . . . . mchew! Shame of you guys!
Let them continue their blind loyalty because she is their person.Why did ewuala not bail out the stranded ibos that resorted to selling their properties in order to return to their place of residence ? Bloody he-goats !
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by stan241(m): 8:20am On Jan 10, 2012
The reservations the south east hv towards issues lyk dis is understandable bt keeping quiet as if it doesn't affect dem in any way baffles me , as for d govs ova dere one shldn't be suprised afterall dey've remained relatively numb while deir people are bin slaughtered in d north wat else wld we expect
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by fnk: 8:21am On Jan 10, 2012
The silence of Nigerians on what the BH was doing up there in the north to mostly the Igbos is bad. Watch the belief of a typical northern.                              
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1Zpk4DrlA  Their leaders might not be so vocal like this one this days, but behind closed doors, it is not far fetch.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by stayreal: 8:24am On Jan 10, 2012
bomboyi:

That is why no IBO man will be Nigerian president in foreseeable future. Even at senate level they fail. 4 senate presidents in 2 years. No one trust ibo man here,they are sell out. Nzerebe sold arms to federal Govt to kill his people. Ibos dont even like themselves not to talk of others. So they can mortgage their children future for money. May be jona will sell fuel for 20k in south east

Igbos do not need the presidency. We are hardworking people who do not need government handouts. If a man earns anything in Nigeria, let him work hard and hustle for it, that is the igbo way. We will continue to let others run this country until its eventual death so that we are not to blame. We will not be this country's scapegoat for its failure.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by CyberG: 8:25am On Jan 10, 2012
Finally, I have time to contribute some thoughts to this debate. It is indeed a good thing that the SE (Ibo heartland) with its leaders took a position NOT to protest subsidy removal. It is their right and I don't think they should be vilified or condemned over it. They made their decision, just as it is their right and every other person must just have to live with it, so no need to complain!

However, I'd like to point out the bigger picture here and put it on record that indeed, Nigerians and its peoples are TOTALLY DIFFERENT in their core ideologies, values and beliefs. This will LAY down the marker when Nigeria finally divides and let no one be mistaken: it would be impossible and DISASTROUS to ask for unification of people with such fundamental differences. The decision is obviously a myopic, narrow-minded and not in the general interest of all (even the smaller tribes / peoples) of Nigeria but in the interest of SE. That is fine, but the problem now arises when someone who puts himself ahead of others expects to be accepted into a comity of nations for the purpose of a joint destiny - this cannot be possible. In fact, with attitudes like this one, the smaller tribes on the extreme east of Nigeria (not the SE heartland) would rather wish to consider being united with people in the middle belt, mid west of far west of current Nigeria rather than cast their lots with people who have no real interest in the general good of all.

. . .Continued. . .
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by CyberG: 8:25am On Jan 10, 2012
. . .Continued. . .

Like I have said before, when Nigeria breaks, I think my Igbo friends would accept that for the sake of collective good, every one should just stay apart. In the virtual world, we may still connect and communicate as we must avoid another NIGERIA. Bello, Zik and Awolowo had a grand chance to save us the headache of today and while some of those 3 wanted a different arrangement of "Nigeria", we know how we ended up with all these troubles. So, in the face of a break-up, their shall be VERY clearly marked and divided countries and things like I was born in Kano, Owerri, Port-Harcourt, Lagos, Kaduna, etc will be totally irrelevant for people's lineage shall be traced by CONCLUSIVE DNA analysis to know if they belong or not. I think it would be good idea to put clear physical and legal markings between the East, Mid West and West and other places in the new countries. Every non-native must leave within 2 - 4 weeks with everything they possess - house, cars, business, relatives, kids and what not. Houses can be moved these days and there are lots of ideas on Discovery Channel.

In the new countries, there shall be no temporary or permanent resident visas because this WILL be abused and then, all the relatives are gradually transported back again. This is a real issue and it can be attested to by everyone in the North, East, West of Nigeria. There shall be no naturalization and being cross-married would not still give any rights in the land and an appropriate solution that takes care of this scenario might need to be created - perhaps a buffer zone in the mid west. I am sure a lot of people are tired of several problems created by parts of Nigeria and we would be happy to relate to the tribes of the middle belt, close mid west and have trade treaties with other major tribes who are far away but again, no joining at all! It would be a total waste for any tribe to be claiming that its is 90% of the population of a land it rents in another 100 years, or people being ungracious to welcoming hosts who allow them to have a life on their own land and resources, people who you treat well but still stab you in the back, complain again and again, who cannot work together with others as a team sharing both glory and blame in the spirit of true brother-hood, people who cannot work as a team but believe in so-called individualism (whereas every successful top company in the world will not hire even a genius if they know he CANNOT work together with his team and others), people who do not believe in diplomacy, common good, etc but claiming other people's lands, claiming that other people's tribes are actually a part of their own, want other people's land forcefully to gain access to the sea, etc. I am sure North, East, West, Middle Belt, Mid West are all tired of all the stress and troubles! Let us all go and develop on our own, making friends with people who truly like us rather than playing this cat and dog game forever!
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by vanunu: 8:27am On Jan 10, 2012
Have Nigerians bothered to ask themselves why NLC and TUC did not protest when the pump price of diesel was increased many years ago, despite the cry by industrialists, heavy-duty truck owners and luxury bus drivers. Do you people know that many luxury bus companies have collapsed because they could not compete with small buses (Hummer buses) using same for long distance travel.

The NLC and TUC are part of the corrupt system, are some of them not the Nigerian civil servants that we know today, are they not corrupt? They should shut up. Why is it that all these while they have not spoken against corruption and the perennial killing of Igbos and other Nigerians
in the Northern part of the country. Are they not part of the Ghana-must -go syndrome.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Beaf: 8:30am On Jan 10, 2012
CyberG:

. . .Continued. . .

Like I have said before, when Nigeria breaks, I think my Igbo friends would accept that for the sake of collective good, every one should just stay apart. In the virtual world, we may still connect and communicate as we must avoid another NIGERIA. Bello, Zik and Awolowo had a grand chance to save us the headache of today and while some of those 3 wanted a different arrangement of "Nigeria", we know how we ended up with all these troubles. So, in the face of a break-up, their shall be VERY clearly marked and divided countries and things like I was born in Kano, Owerri, Port-Harcourt, Lagos, Kaduna, etc will be totally irrelevant for people's lineage shall be traced by CONCLUSIVE DNA analysis to know if they belong or not. I think it would be good idea to put clear physical and legal markings between the East, Mid West and West and other places in the new countries. Every non-native must leave within 2 - 4 weeks with everything they possess - house, cars, business, relatives, kids and what not. Houses can be moved these days and there are lots of ideas on Discovery Channel.

In the new countries, there shall be no temporary or permanent resident visas because this WILL be abused and then, all the relatives are gradually transported back again. This is a real issue and it can be attested to by everyone in the North, East, West of Nigeria. There shall be no naturalization and being cross-married would not still give any rights in the land and an appropriate solution that takes care of this scenario might need to be created - perhaps a buffer zone in the mid west. I am sure a lot of people are tired of several problems created by parts of Nigeria and we would be happy to relate to the tribes of the middle belt, close mid west and have trade treaties with other major tribes who are far away but again, no joining at all! It would be a total waste for any tribe to be claiming that its is 90% of the population of a land it rents in another 100 years, or people being ungracious for welcoming hosts who allow them to have a life on their own land and resources, people who you treat well but still stab you in the back, complain again and again, who cannot work together with others as a team sharing both glory and blame in the spirit of true brother-hood, people who cannot work as a team but believe in so called individualism (whereas every successful top company in the world will not hire even a genius if they know he CANNOT work together with his team and others), people who do not believe in diplomacy, common good, etc. Let us all go and develop on our own, making friends with people who truly like us and playing this cat and dog game forever!

The SS too decided not to protest, as did the Middle Belt or did so peacefully (except Kwara).
You are on your own with your violent protests like say na una even de produce di oil or de breath di gas flares.

Pity.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by stayreal: 8:31am On Jan 10, 2012
fnk:

The silence of Nigerians on what the BH was doing up there in the north to mostly the Igbos is bad. Watch the belief of a typical northern.                              
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1Zpk4DrlA  Their leaders might not be so vocal like this one this days, but behind closed doors, it is not far fetch.

Thank you. This is documented hate from their former northern leader. He hates Igbos becuase they have drive and are ambitious, lol. Things have not changed yet they want us to stay in one Nigeria, I dey laugh  grin
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Jeovy(m): 8:33am On Jan 10, 2012
Abeg make I go market jor, make dem dey strike
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 10, 2012
[size=15pt]NLC is very very Corrupt. If Nigeria needs revolution, it can not be led by the NLC.  A true revolution will be against Corruption and I am very sure, NLC will never organize a protest against Corruption. NLC is corporate corruption entity that protests for the highest Bidder, If I lie Ask Oshiomole!!![/size]
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by zebudaya(m): 8:35am On Jan 10, 2012
zebudaya:

A possible thesis why they are not interested in the strike is "There is no government" in the SE. Government does not do jack over there. Roads are bad. There is no investment in infrastructure. High unemployment rate. Kidnappings etc. They have given up hope. They are practical people and would rather spend their time doing something else. In Lagos petrol was 65/litre in the East it was N80,85 sometimes. So tell me why should they waste their time? The Government left the people to their own devices a long time ago. In the North, majority of the folks killed are Igbo. Check the list of victims of the Christmas day bombings, and the Adamawa killings.  What do they get?  speeches and promises. That's like asking the black man why he's not sleeping in Manhattan and occupying Wall Street. Sure some would do it, but overall its not a priority.

I agree with the poster, watch the news

~Bluetooth:

Stop being silly.How many times have y'all protest against goverment marginalisation of iboland ? The other day when political appointment were made and yorubas got nothing,did they complain even when we here said producing the president,deputy senate president and deputy speaker doesnt translate to development ? What are all the ibo politicians in power doing about ibo marginalization ? The simple truth is ibos go to the same markets like other ethnics and as far as we are all in the shiithole called Nigeria,this subsidy removal affects all Nigerians and we  must all protest against it.It makes no sense hinging or sacrifing the fortune of poor ibos on a political ambition that may never be realized.The welfare of ibos is more than 2015 !

Dude understand what I am saying, before you fire insults. What is wrong with you people on Nairaland? You asked What are all the ibo politicians in power doing about ibo marginalization ? If you are smart enough you would realize that is the point I am making. Government in this case is not just the Federal government, I'm  talking about the Federal Government, State Government and Local Government. The only thing that helps the Igbos is that they are entrepreneurial by nature. Hausa man gave up a long time ago. Go to the North and see it for yourself. Steady stream of Alamajiri's and extremely high rates of unemployment and illiteracy. Compare the rates of literacy for Igbos vs the rest of the country. Look up how many people attempt JAMB. Imo state consistently ranks first, and when it comes to zones,  the SE zone consistently ranks first. There's a DIY culture, and when you have that you don't bother protesting. Igbos have always been Republican by nature. Hence the saying "Igbo enweghi Eze". Igbos do not have kings. So when you have a DIY streak you are not going to spend that much time protesting. Read this, understand it before you reply.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 10, 2012
[size=15pt]The People of the South-East are intelligent enough not to be raped and impregnated and abandoned by the NLC, because over the years we have seen how NLC called off strikes after ghana-must-go back changed hands. Tuffiiiiiaaakkkwwaaaaa NLC, NLC needs to be unbundled [/size]
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by 1025: 8:41am On Jan 10, 2012
if ojukwu is dead, how else can peter obi be relevant? he can't speak to a group of 100 igbos talk-less or a crowd of 1000. he is a nobody and joining pdp is the nail he has on his own coffin.
the igbos have been made irrelevant by these idiots that claim leaders and ohanaeze.
i thank God for a typical igboman who doesn't see anyone as his leader.
peter obi is just a compensation to ojukwu and therefore is no where close to speaking for anambra people talk-less of the igbos.
na God go punish him.
now that ojukwu is dead, let him come out and contest in any election to test his own personal popularity.
the igbos suffer even in the presence of subsidy because they can't say they have bought fuel for 65 for once.
it is a shame that we have goats and dogs as our spokes persons.
in anambra, how many senatorial seats are there and how many did apga win? it is a shame when u have an under-bridge trader speaking for us.
let that beast go and die. i see a nigeria that will go from protest to riots and down to revolution. peter obi has taken his stance and the masses have taken note. he will be in our target list when the time comes. gaddahfi was ready to die for the post and that was what he got.
aso rock and other governmental houses will be very hot for these men to live in. bullet proof cars will be dumped and holes will be the most comfortable places for these killers and we all saw the almighty saddam and gaddafi took refuge in dirty holes and that is where we will catch these criminals and slaughter them like christmas goats.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by betadaz: 8:45am On Jan 10, 2012
It is called procedural control, the best way to handle a rotten sector. Subsidy removal is a gaint stride by GEJ and no amount of protest will reverse it. The SW, NE, NN are merely protesting to protect the looths n biz empire of their pple, Danjuma, IBB, Tinubu, Atiku, Otedola etc. Then the ACN and Buhari agenda, pathetic! The SE n SS on the other side have the interest of of our gr8 nation in mind; accepting to make a little sacrifice to move Nigeria fwd.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by iykak47: 8:46am On Jan 10, 2012
bomboyi:

That is why no IBO man will be Nigerian president in foreseeable future. Even at senate level they fail. 4 senate presidents in 2 years. No one trust ibo man here,they are sell out. Nzerebe sold arms to federal Govt to kill his people. Ibos dont even like themselves not to talk of others. So they can mortgage their children future for money. May be jona will sell fuel for 20k in south east
You talk like zombie, that  is a stuff eediots are made of. Your region had been in power for many years and
how far?. Are you better than Igbos, do you have constant power supply  and good roads while Igbos dont have? Does armed robbers ask for victims tribe before they strike?
They money past leaders stole, does it belong to Igbos or Nigerians,
how much of the money was given to your father or kinsmen?
Which region has the highest rate of poverty and illiteracy in Nigeria, From 1960 till now, have they not  been in power more than any other region? Akpa amu answer these questions before amadioha will strangling you.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by studyineu: 8:48am On Jan 10, 2012
Igbos are hard working people and not some lazy folks who smuggle fuel out to make dough as it is in de north. We the igbos are independent on the government if they like let them strike for 2yrs. Business continues as usual no dulin
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by CyberG: 8:49am On Jan 10, 2012
Beaf:

The SS too decided not to protest, as did the Middle Belt or did so peacefully (except Kwara).
You are on your own with your violent protests like say na una even de produce di oil or de breath di gas flares.

Pity.

The SS protested, or is Port Harcourt and Delta no longer part of the SS. Check the thread with pictures as it is on NL here! The only pity is for poor people who cannot have a life again with buying gas at 140 per liter!
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 8:49am On Jan 10, 2012
1025:

if ojukwu is dead, how else can peter obi be relevant? he can't speak to a group of 100 igbos talk-less or a crowd of 1000. he is a nobody and joining pdp is the nail he has on his own coffin.
the igbos have been made irrelevant by these idiots that claim leaders and ohanaeze.
i thank God for a typical igboman who doesn't see anyone as his leader.
peter obi is just a compensation to ojukwu and therefore is no where close to speaking for anambra people talk-less of the igbos.
na God go punish him.
now that ojukwu is dead, let him come out and contest in any election to test his own personal popularity.
the igbos suffer even in the presence of subsidy because they can't say they have bought fuel for 65 for once.
it is a shame that we have goats and dogs as our spokes persons.
in anambra, how many senatorial seats are there and how many did apga win? it is a shame when u have an under-bridge trader speaking for us.
let that beast go and die. i see a nigeria that will go from protest to riots and down to revolution. peter obi has taken his stance and the masses have taken note. he will be in our target list when the time comes. gaddahfi was ready to die for the post and that was what he got.
aso rock and other governmental houses will be very hot for these men to live in. bullet proof cars will be dumped and holes will be the most comfortable places for these killers and we all saw the almighty saddam and gaddafi took refuge in dirty holes and that is where we will catch these criminals and slaughter them like christmas goats.
[size=15pt]
You are visibly upset ? Now, Have you seen a therapist ? No offence [/size]
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 10, 2012
studyineu:

Igbos are hard working people and not some lazy folks who smuggle fuel out to make dough as it is in de north. We the igbos are independent on the government if they like let them strike for 2yrs. Business continues as usual no dulin
[size=15pt]
You hit the Nail on the head. Where have you been all these while ? The SE people are very few in the National Cake Food Stamp called Civil service,. These are hardworking people depending on their trades and personal skills. If fuel price goes up, they will mark-up the prices of their goods / services for Maximum ROI. Wetin concern a businessman with government handouts called Minimum Wage and Salaries. [/size]
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Beaf: 9:03am On Jan 10, 2012
CyberG:

The SS protested, or is Port Harcourt and Delta no longer part of the SS. Check the thread with pictures as it is on NL here! The only pity is for poor people who cannot have a life again with buying gas at 140 per liter!

What, you mean two or three NLC officials called "tunji" walking about is a protest? Lol!
Abeg, we don't have time for nonsense in the SS.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by whitehawk(m): 9:15am On Jan 10, 2012
The South East and South South are correct not to interfere. They bear the brunt of the oil leaks, the militancy and the kidnapping industry that it spawned. Anyway petrol had always sold for more than N65 a litre.

The NLC, the NBA and the House of Representatives are NOT ANGELS at all.

When Sanusi Lamido revealed that 25% of the National Budget was spent on the National Assembly no one supported him. Not the clergy, the NBA or the NLC. Shortly thereafter the former Speaker of the House of Reps was arrested for borrowing  from the banks and spending 40 BILLION NAIRA in additon to what was budgeted for. Sanusi fought a lone fight. He was disparaged by the House of Reps. The NBA, the NLC, Pastor Bakare and Mallam Rufai did not come to fight corruption.

The fuel subsidy has to be removed because it is the sure way to stop the Corruption in that business. The fight against Corruption must BE INSITUTIONAL AND PROCESS BASED.  The EFCC and the Judiaciary have not been effective becasue that approach is based on the PERSONALITY of the EFCC Chairman of a particular judge.

Please read Sanusi Lamido's details of how the Fuel Subsidy FRAUD is perpetrated by excutives of the petrol industry, Nigerian Customs, oil industry regulators etc. This will give an idea of the vast scope and depth of the FRAUD.

Also please remember that NLC is not necessarily fighting for the masses. It has never called a stricke over food or agriculture (becauuse the unons from that sector is not a major contibutor to NLC's finances) nor over Corruption. Never. The NLC strikes only for Oil sectore, PHCN and the Old Nitel.
President Obasanjo sold the refineries to the private sector. The same NLC resisted and got President YarAdua to make a political decision to reverse the sale.  Recently GEJ approved that the salaries of PHCN workers should be tripled to secure their support for the power sector reforms but requested that each PHCN staff should be verified by biometric. The NLC and PHCN union accepted the pay increase but went on strike over the biometric testing. But the government knows that without biomentric testing the slary increase will become another bottomless opportunity to STEAL money. For you dear reader, PHCN/NLC have refused to continue with the Pay-As-Use electronic meter because it closes a major opportunity for PHCN to steal your money through their spurious bills.

The FIGHT AGAINST CORRUPTION IS NOT EASY AND IS NOT PAIN LESS.

Here is a straight-to-the-point response to some internet enquiries on the fuel subsidy by Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria).

Here, SLS shares his convictions and presents a holistic insight into the reality about the Nigerian economy, governance, corruption, the growing gap between the rich and the poor, the challenges to sustainability, the need for the recalibration of the current debate and concerns about the decision taken to remove the subsidy on PMS.

The Case for Subsidy Removal
QUOTE - As a Nigerian and an economist, I often take positions on economic matters and this position is one I have had for years long before coming in to the Central Bank. I have also taken time to explain this position on several occasions and criticised government for not doing this before now.

In 2010 at a public hearing in the House of Reps on the 25pct saga I alerted the nation of what I considered a potential big scam around subsidies and urged for its removal. No one paid attention. The economics is very clear to me. That it is unpopular is also understandable.

The British public is unhappy with Tory budget cuts. The Greeks went on riot over austerity. Italian parliamentarians came to blows before Berlusconi was thrown out of office. The US congress is yet to approve Obama’s tax increases.

Economic decisions-by definition-ALWAYS must involve a cost or an opportunity cost since for them to qualify as economic they must involve a choice in resource allocation among competing uses.

An enlightened debate is one that weighs the pros and cons of removing subsidy and continuing with it.      Removing it has costs in terms of Nigerians paying more for PMS-which by the way is not the fuel for generators, power plants, production facilities, heavy duty goods transportation trucks and even luxury buses. It is fuel used by the middle class and car owners to drive around town and from city to city not to employ workers and produce goods and services.

Diesel which is critical to manufacturing and employment creation is not subsidized as the subsidy was removed years ago by President Obasanjo. Nigerians said nothing then because it was blue collar workers that got retrenched by factories. Those speaking now on the internet and facebook and twitter and newspapers are not workers but middle class elite who use PMS in their smart cars so let's stop all the ideological pretence. This is not about elite and masses but an intra-elite discourse.      

I will summarise the issues and I write as a Nigerian economist and public intellectual not as a public servant:

1. I am a strong advocate for subsidies if they are for production and not consumption and if they benefit the poor and not middle men and rent seekers. The US government subsidizes cotton and wheat farmers and Nigeria spends its reserves importing wheat from America and keeping American farmers employed. The OECD countries pay subsidies to cattle farmers. Today Promasidor imports powdered milk from New Zealand and packages in Nigeria using our foreign exchange while we have cattle. WAMCO imports milk from the UK and adds water and tins it and calls it "production" of Peak milk. We use our Forex to import petroleum products and keep refineries and jobs open in Europe. Meanwhile precisely because of market distortions there can be no private sector investment in refineries since no one can make profit selling at the regulated price unless we are going to provide private refineries with crude for next to nothing. Certainly no one can purchase crude at market price, refine it and sell at N65 without huge losses so this explains why there are no private refineries.  

2 What I mentioned above is at the heart of the problem with government economic policy which needs to be changed. The economy since SAP is one that supports imported consumption and not local production, perpetuating dependency, non inclusive growth and insecurity. Why is it that the economy is growing at 7pct annually but the people are getting poorer? The answer is simply because growth gains are not evenly distributed. Personal income is skewed towards people in the oil industry, Telecoms, high finance, stock market, real estate and yes civil servants and politicians who feed on corruption. We produce crude oil but import petroleum products (today the UK’s highest exports to Nigeria are petroleum based products).

We have a large cotton belt but import textiles from China (thus keeping their subsidized factories open and jobs in china). We are the world's number one producer of cassava but import cassava starch from Europe. We have a huge tomato belt in Kadawa, Jigawa and Chad Basin but are the world's largest importer of tomato paste - from China and Italy. We can produce rice but we import rice from Thailand and India-most of it from grain reserves that have been in stock for over 5 years. I can go on and on    

3. If the above is clear then it is evident that this trajectory can only lead to disaster. We will continue to spend our resources promoting growth and employment in our trading partners’ countries. When the Terms of trade shift against us, we can only have foreign reserves because by the good grace of God we have Oil which will be exhausted soon and with new discoveries may become so cheap it loses value. We don't create any value-added jobs as the only real production is peasant farming. Oil, Telecoms, finance and real estate are not employment intensive. So everyone becomes a civil servant as the economy cannot create jobs. In the 2012 budget, out of a total N1.8tr recurrent expenditure for the executive arm N1.6tr is on personnel costs not overheads. To reduce this you have to cut salaries or pensions or retrench civil servants. This is the classic trajectory of underdevelopment, de-development and de-industrialisation.  

4. For the above reasons I am a strong proponent of structural reform and this begins from the fiscal framework. The limited resources of government should be allocated to supporting production-especially if we are running a budget deficit. We cannot keep borrowing to support conspicuous consumption. To support a job creating economy we need to fund power, transportation infrastructure, market infrastructure and access, technical and vocational education etc. We need to build rice processing plants, produce starch and cassava flour and ethanol, process our tomato and milk locally, regenerate our textiles firms (which used to employ 600,000 workers but now employ 30,000!), refine our own crude etc. We cannot even begin to do this if 30pct of govt expenditure is on fuel subsidy, if out of the balance 70pct is recurrent spending, 10pct is debt service, 10pct goes to the Niger Delta and only 10pct is capital expenditure. So it is about a choice-what do we spend money on and how do we allocate resources?  This is the real debate we should be having.

5. We often compare ourselves to other oil producing countries like Saudi Arabia. What are the facts? With a population of over 160m we produce 2mbpd i.e. 1 barrel for every 80+ citizens daily. Govt share of revenues is like 50pct of every barrel so it is effectively a barrel for 160 citizens. Saudi Arabia with a 24m population produces over 8mbpd or one barrel for every 3 citizens. In fact in 2010 the nearest OPEC country to Nigeria in production per capita was Algeria with a barrel for 30 and Algeria is more gas than oil.

With one barrel for 3 citizens daily, Saudi Arabia is able to provide infrastructure, education, healthcare and social safety nets and have huge savings. It can provide subsidised fuel at a total cost that is a fraction of its savings and even export refined products. It is paying for subsidies out of its fiscal savings and not borrowing to pay.

We are like a poor man with a rich neighbour. The neighbour builds a good house, buys several cars, eat expensive food, travel abroad every year and still have huge balances in several current accounts. Then you choose to live that lifestyle and mortgage your house, take an overdraft from the bank to finance it. Next year it is time to repay the bank, you don't have the money so you go to another bank; borrow enough to pay the first bank’s principal plus interest and also fund the continuation of the lifestyle. It continues till you can't borrow anymore and the bank throws you and your family out of your house and you lose everything. A responsible father would have long since faced reality and told his family he doesn't earn as much as his neighbour and expectations need to be moderated if they are to keep their roof. Of course the children won't be happy at not going to Hawaii for summer and having to take public transport rather than own cars like their neighbour's children. Maybe they will even abuse the father behind his back and call him a miser. That is the cost of leadership.

Finally: removing subsidy is not a silver bullet that solves our economic problems. Further, there is a huge trust deficit that government has to address. Government needs to investigate subsidy payments and punish any violations of extant guidelines. It needs to cut off unnecessary and wasteful expenditure. It needs to fight corruption and show seriousness in that. It needs to deliver on capital projects, power and infrastructure including irrigation, farm-level storage and agri-processing.

These are all valid issues that are to be taken IN ADDITION to and not in place of subsidy removal. UNQUOTE
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by akinmax: 9:25am On Jan 10, 2012
The south-East has always lost in all battle in Nigeria, always a loser. They will lose again.They want to play kindergarten politics with Nigeria,they are just too naive in handling it. Vision less set of people..
South -east always deceive themselves they are hardworking trader forgetting they are not working hard.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by CyberG: 9:29am On Jan 10, 2012
Beaf:

What, you mean two or three NLC officials called "tunji" walking about is a protest? Lol!
Abeg, we don't have time for nonsense in the SS.

Pfffttt! Whatever, who cares when you even saw the over-subscribed thread! Doesn't change the facts though as you are only here to earn your keep from freshairdent Goatluck! tongue tongue grin grin
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by karlfon: 9:43am On Jan 10, 2012
Good move by the South East region, the Igbos did not believe in government, that is why more than 70% of Igbos are traders, they believe in their ability and strength to Survive and move on, they are developing their villages and others without a single help of Government, why should we go on strike to disturb our businesses, take this as an instance,

We have two secondary schools in my village and one technical school, 1 secondary school were built by Age grade, the technical school were built by the entire Village and 1 private school.

It took two age grade 12 years for their electricity project, now we have electricity in our village for more than 15 years now.

The treasury house in our village were built by Age grade where pensioners receive their pensions, In this 2012 we shall commission our daily market in our village, its also a project of another 2 age grade, every Age grade is mandated to complete their project of Igba uchea between 4 to 8 years for the development of the village.

It is like that to almost all Igbo land, So why should we go on strike while we are developing our villages by our selves effort,ability and trading businesses.

Our protest should be how to stop the Northerners from killing the Southerners, those lost lives worth more than removal of petroleum subsidy.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by sixtus4: 9:51am On Jan 10, 2012
thanks for enlighting them,they have to know that an average igbo man wants independence
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by DrIgbo: 9:53am On Jan 10, 2012
akinmax:

The south-East has always lost in all battle in Nigeria, always a loser. They will lose again.They want to play kindergarten politics with Nigeria,they are just too naive in handling it. Vision less set of people..
South -east always deceive themselves they are hardworking trader forgetting they are not working hard.  

Look at the poverty index of Nigeria you will see the result of the dedication and hardwork of the Igbos. Even though Lagos is the wealthiest in Nigeria, poverty in all other parts of the south west has draged poverty down deep into the bone marrows of the laziest group of tribalists in Nigeria.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Wislet(f): 9:58am On Jan 10, 2012
IF THE SE WAS NOT IMPORTANT, YOU WONDER WHY SOME PEOPLE LOSE SLEEP OVER THEM.
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE EVERYWHERE. Smh.
I wonder why the East not taking to the streets should be othes' concern. Especially when they're not preventing any other from doing what they wish- to protest/not.
We must learn to respect one another in this country. Or is it that the West want some form of backing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

I ’ll Contest 2019 Senatorial Election Under PRP Party – Shehu Sani / Senate Blocks Move To Recognise Kogi As An Oil-producing State / President Tinubu Celebrates MKO Abiola On His 25th Death Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.