Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:00 PM

Fuel Subsidy 101 (some Eye Openers ) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy 101 (some Eye Openers ) (1369 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. / Fuel Subsidy 101 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy 101 (some Eye Openers ) by wills(m): 1:41am On Jan 09, 2012
I this write up I won’t go into the genesis of the fuel subsidy debate in Nigeria,the eventual abrupt removal and the current face off between the Nigerian Government and Labour Unions/Civil society groups.

However interestingly every Government official talking about fuel subsidy points the Nigerian public to economic hardship in some part of the EU and use countries like Greece as an example, even though Greece economic problems has nothing to do with Petrol subsidy.

One form of comparison our brilliant economist won’t ever talk about is Nigeria and Malaysia. Nigeria issue goes beyond subsidy removal, that’s why I am of the opinion that anyone telling the Nigerian people that subsidy removal is really the only thing that can save this country from crashing financially is just engaging in pure official Government Blackmail and He/She is a part of the insincerity shrouding the removal of subsidy in Nigeria. By the way this writer believes Subsidy on Petrol should be phased out, but certainly not this moment in time and way it’s being carried out.

Watch the short video that explains Fuel subsidy in layman's terms and then look at the Statistics below and you be the judge yourself when it comes to fuel subsidy in Nigeria.

http://youtu.be/8BfJcD3tEto

At the end of Dec 2011 Malaysian Government Fuel Subsidy amounted to 18Billion Malaysian Ringgit (Source Malaysian GTP- Government Transformation Programme) The Equivalent of this amount Spent on subsidy by Malaysia in terms of Nigerian Naira = 913 Billion, 244, Million.

Nigeria’s population is estimated at 150Million that’s 5 times more than that of Malaysia which is at 28.3 million. Now If Malaysia is spending almost one Trillion Nigerian Naira to subsides fuel for a population 5 times less than the population of Nigeria, it leaves us to ask many (WHY) questions for our own government to answer.

This type of comparison and not the Greece economic brouhaha that’s on the lips of pro subsidy economist and apologist alike, to me makes more sense. More shocking is that Malaysian State oil revenues supplies just more than 40% of government revenue, while in Nigeria the Oil sector provides a colossal 80% of Government budgetary revenues. Yet Malaysia dares to subsidies fuel in a world where the IMF and World Bank insist that Sub Saharan African Countries MUST do away with fuel subsidy or ? (Possibly it’s now a condition for one of their Loans, which African Governments seem not to be able to do without) A classic case of - The Drug Dealer and the Crack Head.

Comparing some other Economic Statistics Nigeria’s Nominal GDP estimate stands at $247.128Billon and its Per capita income at $1,541. Malaysia Nominal GDP: $255.3 billion and per capita income (GNI): $8,126. Both Countries practically have the very same Natural resources: Petroleum, liquefied natural gas (LNG), tin, minerals. Agricultural products: Palm oil, rubber, timber, coco.

Malaysia is multi ethnic just like Nigeria but with a much less ethic grouping when compared to Nigeria, however Malaysia unlike Nigeria is multi racial and has more officially recognised religious groups than Nigeria’s 3 main Christian, Muslim and Animist's. Once again as a good example to compare Nigeria with, Malaysia is not seen on CNN, SKY ,BBC ALJEZERA and all world news network with stories of ethic and religious clashes.

Just so that this write up won’t get clogged up with statistics and comparison I will stop here, I have chosen some of these data (which can be verified from official government website source) to paint a picture of what could have been possibly similarities in both countries but are now so different.

I believe countries such as Malaysia is a better basis for comparison if we wish to tell ourselves the truth in Nigeria and grow our own economy, than using European countries or the United States to justify insincere government actions.

The final question here is; why will two countries with possibilities for similarity, yet be so different? The answers may just be found by pointing to or examining
3 key features -1. Leadership, 2.Followership and 3.Value systems. but I will leave you to find that out for yourself.
Re: Fuel Subsidy 101 (some Eye Openers ) by wills(m): 2:55am On Jan 09, 2012
wills:

This type of comparison and not the Greece economic brouhaha that’s on the lips of pro subsidy economist and apologist alike, to me makes more sense.

Note Correction :This type of comparison and not the Greece economic brouhaha that’s on the lips of pro subsidy removal economist and apologist alike, to me makes more sense.
Re: Fuel Subsidy 101 (some Eye Openers ) by wills(m): 6:54pm On Jan 09, 2012
As we OccupyNigeria lets make it clear, we want change that goes beyond the reversal to the market price of unsubsidized fuel, but also [b]MOST IMPORTANTLY t[/b]he killings around the nation must stop,we must demand security be restored across the country no Christian should be killed because of his faith or ethnicity,no Muslim should be killed because of his faith or ethnicity, all forms of cabal,cartel or corrupt officials and Nigerians with a financial crime case to answer in court must stand trail and be served justice (guilty or not guilty).

We must begin now! to let politicians know that 2015 is way too far, we will let them know their faith years before reelection based on current performance.

God Bless Nigeria.
Re: Fuel Subsidy 101 (some Eye Openers ) by smile11s(m): 6:57pm On Jan 09, 2012
If you what change in Nigeria, leave the streets now and support GEJ

For he is the best Nigeria can get now

If we lose him, oh brother, // katakata go happen o
Re: Fuel Subsidy 101 (some Eye Openers ) by wills(m): 7:38pm On Jan 09, 2012
As we OccupyNigeria, people and politicians with personal grudges against President Jonathan should not be allowed to hijack these protest, but Nigerians must make it clear, these remonstration is about change that goes beyond just the reversal to the market price of unsubsidized fuel, rather MOST IMPORTANTLY it should include a call for an end to the killings around the nation, we must demand security be restored across the country.

No Christian should be killed because of his faith or ethnicity, no Muslim should be killed because of his faith or ethnicity. If we can protest and cry out because of an increase in the pump price of PMS, we certainly can show concern, empathy and should be able to even cry even louder against the senseless killing of innocent men, women and children at various places of worship, and against the treat to lives of southerners in the north and northerners in the south.

All forms of cabal, corrupt officials or Nigerians with financial crime cases to answer in courts, we must begin to see them stand trail and be served justice and not bail but rather (guilty or not guilty verdicts).

This present government no doubt has a lot of enemies from outside and from within trying to frustrate all its efforts, it should not pick a fight with the Nigerian people over subsided fuel thus making this most needed support structure an enemy.

Nigerians must begin now! to start letting politicians know that 2015 is way too far, we will let them know their faith years before re-election based on current performance.

God Bless Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

No Regret Fighting Ibori -clark • Says Ex-gov’s Conviction Has Vindicated Him / Fashola Spirits His Sick Dad Away From The 373 New Medical Recruits, To The USA / Am Alive Today All Because Of I Denied Myself Of Being A Christain...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.