Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:10 PM

Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure (28393 Views)

Joshua Okpo Dies After Amaechi Ordered Probe Of N18bn Expenditure / Jonathan Spent N3.5tn Pension Fund On Recurrent Expenditure – Oshiomhole / Independence Anniversary Expenditure For The Past 5 Years. - Nasir El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by mundus(m): 10:05am On Jan 11, 2012
Please
1.) I 've always wanted someone to explain in a lay man's language what these terms mean "Recurrent and Capital Expenditure"

2.) I 've heard many people say that the removal of fuel subsidy will cause inflation. But I've been wondering how, since I was told back in secondary school that inflation is simply "the loss in value of money because of too much money in circulation"
simple logic has told me that the fuel subsidy removal will leave the people with less money since you have to pay more to buy fuel hence reducing the inflation rate.

Pls can an Economist in the house put me through.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by VoodooDoll(m): 10:49am On Jan 11, 2012
Capital expenditure normally refers to creating, constructing, improving or transforming an asset, infrastructure or buildings.

Recurrent expenditure typically refers to payment of overheads, salaries, miscellaneous expenses, travelling, entertainment, food.

Capital expenditure should see assets being constructed which have a medium term life time.

Recurrent expenditure happens every year and normally refers to and for payments to civil servants, politicians and their aides. 

When recurrent expenditure is too high then it means civil servants and politicians may have a lot of money to spend.  With a lot of money to spend politicians can outspend anybody.  By outspending anybody politicians push up the price of goods and services.  Higher prices leads to inflation.

Spending on recurrent expenditure without any limits ends up in the debt burden increasing as human want is unlimited. This human want will outspend GDP and lead to the country borrowing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by VoodooDoll(m): 10:50am On Jan 11, 2012
Removal of fuel subsidy can lead to a price shock. 

Petrol, fuel and energy are the lifeblood of Nigeria's economy. In the absence of any meaningful infrastructure the masses have to provide for themselves, generators, okada, danfo etc.

Because the masses provide for themselves our economy is extremely sensitive to changes to energy prices.

A N1 increase in petrol or energy cost can lead to an equal N1 increase in other goods and services.

These increases are not really justified by "logic" but can be explained by behavioural economics. That is human behaviour acting in a personal interest but against the good of all and also in the end against their own interests.

Prices have doubled on a lot of consumable goods since Jan 1st.

Whilst this may be a one time price shock, it is too early to tell where inflation will settle.

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by uzoexcel(m): 1:15pm On Dec 26, 2013
Thanks very much Mr Voodoo...I just saw a report online few days ago that the FG will be spending 78% of its income on recurrent expenditure while 22% for capital projects. Are you saying in summary and in effect that we spend this huge percentage on paying the salaries of Government officials?
Please Indulge my ignorance grin

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Nobody: 3:14pm On Dec 26, 2013
uzoexcel: Thanks very much Mr Voodoo...I just saw a report online few days ago that the FG will be spending 78% of its income on recurrent expenditure while 22% for capital projects. Are you saying in summary and in effect that we spend this huge percentage on paying the salaries of Government officials?
Please Indulge my ignorance grin
Nt jst Salaries of govt officials bt civil servants in Generals..in order Words Nigeria's Economy is @ a constant..its aren't progressing neither is it regressing..
Expect Unemployment to rise in 2014...
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 03, 2016
Educative thread that should hit fp.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Sibrah: 9:44am On Dec 03, 2016
They (mods) hardly see this type of thread for fp.
Recurrent expenditiure are those expenditure that are recurring in nature. Salary = monthly, rep allowance = quarterly, govt vehicles = some 2 yrs, others 3 yrs.
There are some underground recurrent expenditures like dollar auction A.K.A. Floating the Naira and it is done weekly but not featured in budget. That's the one partly causing hardship today.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 03, 2016
emrain:
Educative thread that should hit fp.
Should i call lalasticlala
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Godprotectigbo2(f): 10:36am On Dec 03, 2016
OP NAWA FOR U grin grin grin grin

TO A LAY MAN UNDERSTANDING

RECURRENT EXPENDITURE ARE THOSE DAY TO DAY SERVICING ACTIVITIES LIKE PAYMENT OF SALARIES, WAGES, ETC

THEN CAPITAL EXPENDITURE: FROM THE WORD CAPITAL UR COMMON SENSE WILL TELL U IS ALL ABOUT ASSET LIKE ROAD, BUILDINGS, RAIL WAYS CONSTRUCTIONS, AIRRPORTS ETC

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by omowolewa: 11:28am On Dec 03, 2016
Recurrent re-occurs on Daily/Monthly/Quarterly on government bills like salaries, fueling, entertainment, travel cost,.....

Capital are one-off in nature and may take more than a year to finish like construction roads, dredging of channels, power stations, dam, satellites.....

according to Google
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Sibrah: 11:41am On Dec 03, 2016
Capital expenditure/project also give birth recurrent expenditure. Example is the twelve new university built by Goodluck Jonathan admin but Buhari's admin must equip/power/maintain them annually and pay salaries monthly.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by chiefobdk(m): 2:14pm On Dec 03, 2016
Sibrah:
Capital expenditure/project also give birth recurrent expenditure. Example is the twelve new university built by Goodluck Jonathan admin but Buhari's admin must equip/power/maintain them annually and pay salaries monthly.

Do u mean Goodluck should not ve built the schools?
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by OlujobaSamuel: 2:41pm On Dec 03, 2016
chiefobdk:

why do people reason like this na, this is totally unfair, he wasnt making referencing his opinion on the feasibility of the school(for nor against) yet you found a way to turn his words around.
abeg address the op, lets all learn from you too. The thread isnt about gej's project nor buhari's spendings.
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by chiefobdk(m): 3:04pm On Dec 03, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
why do people reason like this na, this is totally unfair, he wasnt making referencing his opinion on the feasibility of the school(for nor against) yet you found a way to turn his words around.
abeg address the op, lets all learn from you too. The thread isnt about gej's project nor buhari's spendings.
Thanks

i wonder how you got to know wats on his mind.

i didn't even address you.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Femmyfamous4u(m): 5:10pm On Dec 03, 2016
in as much as i would commend the various comments made so far on recurrent and capital expenditure. i observed that the OP required a layman's explanation . As an Economist, i will try to explain it in a layman way for the OP.

Capital Expenditure has been explained earlier the the previous posts but in i only want to add that it is an accumulation or increase in assets. this implies that the money government spends on roads, electricity and energy as well as refineries, schools, satellite and other expenditure aimed at generating more income in the future is regarded as capital expenditure. the expenditure usually surpass a year and go on till it is completed.

Recurrent expenditure also has been explained in terms of overhead costs. it implies salaries paid to workers, allowance to corp members, expenditure of normal repairs, maintenance etc

Inflation is not just the loss in value of an asset as you were taught. it is the GENERAL increase in the prices of goods and services. yes, it is true that removal of fuel subsidy will lead to inflation because almost everything is tied to the price of fuel in the country.

high fuel price will lead to high cost of production in manufacturing companies because of generators thereby leading to high prices of commodities
high fuel price leads to high transportation cost which shoots the price of food stuffs high etc

until a time when we have constant power supply and alternative sources of energy at a cheaper price, removal of fuel subsidy will DEFINITELY lead to inflation.

high fuel price leads to high cost of transport
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by BigIyanga: 5:15pm On Dec 03, 2016
Recurrent = chop money
Capital=project money.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Sibrah: 6:07pm On Dec 03, 2016
chiefobdk:

No. I am just stating it the way it is. The financial implication for Buhari govt is more.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by chiefobdk(m): 6:14pm On Dec 03, 2016
Sibrah:
No. I am just stating it the way it is. The financial implication for Buhari govt is more.

but the schools re supposed to generate revenue. wat happen to the school fees and other fees students pay.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by richidinho(m): 6:20pm On Dec 03, 2016
Abeg put food money for capital expenditure grin
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Sibrah: 6:28pm On Dec 03, 2016
chiefobdk:

but the schools re supposed to generate revenue. wat happen to the school fees and other fees students pay.
Those fees hardly cover 10% of the expenses the students use up. The last time I read about it in 2014, the FG claimed it spent average of N300k subsidizing each fed uni grad annually.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by chiefobdk(m): 7:57pm On Dec 03, 2016
Sibrah:
Those fees hardly cover 10% of the expenses the students use up. The last time I read about it in 2014, the FG claimed it spent average of N300k subsidizing each fed uni grad annually.

hmmmm. this is so funny
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by iluvdonjazzy: 10:21pm On Dec 03, 2016
recurrent means the one that always reoccure every year like salaries, allowance, debt servicing etc. Capital expenditure is the one that is use for projects like roads, housing, power, transportation, etc.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by OlujobaSamuel: 10:27pm On Dec 03, 2016
chiefobdk:

hmmmm. this is so funny
the dude is right bro, no govt school is generating enough for the operating cost of any of our schools in nigeria. Govt finances them. an average nigerian cannot afford the fee of a standard school without subsidy. eg, take a look at the recent allowee ASUU wants to go on strike for, 250+bn? not salary, not regular allowee, how much are we paying to generate such?
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by chiefobdk(m): 11:37pm On Dec 03, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
the dude is right bro, no govt school is generating enough for the operating cost of any of our schools in nigeria. Govt finances them. an average nigerian cannot afford the fee of a standard school without subsidy. eg, take a look at the recent allowee ASUU wants to go on strike for, 250+bn? not salary, not regular allowee, how much are we paying to generate such?

before ASUU will demand such. dont u think they kno exactly how much is generated.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by OlujobaSamuel: 7:54am On Dec 04, 2016
chiefobdk:

before ASUU will demand such. dont u think they kno exactly how much is generated.
do you think all tertiary institutions combined(fg) generates 1tr as revenue? we pay average of 50k per yr, a lecturer in the polytechnic system of lecturer 1cadre goes home with more than 500k per month, where do a school generate such?
i understands what it takes to run those religious schs, thats why i never condemned them even though i dont pay for such in my church, running a sch isnt cheap.
missionary schools back then were finannced by nations where they came from through aids and grants.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 04, 2016
Stupedinluv:
Should i call lalasticlala

No, I heard he's sick. Give him some time to recover.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by Sibrah: 7:42pm On Dec 04, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
do you think all tertiary institutions combined(fg) generates 1tr as revenue? we pay average of 50k per yr, a lecturer in the polytechnic system of lecturer 1cadre goes home with more than 500k per month, where do a school generate such?
i understands what it takes to run those religious schs, thats why i never condemned them even though i dont pay for such in my church, running a sch isnt cheap.
missionary schools back then were finannced by nations where they came from through aids and grants.
How many fg uni can even charge 50k per yr?
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by OlujobaSamuel: 8:35pm On Dec 04, 2016
Sibrah:
How many fg uni can even charge 50k per yr?
exactly, but i said so considering new intake that pays so many fees in with different title.
Re: Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure by urahara(m): 1:32pm On Dec 04, 2019
VoodooDoll:
Capital expenditure normally refers to creating, constructing, improving or transforming an asset, infrastructure or buildings.

Recurrent expenditure typically refers to payment of overheads, salaries, miscellaneous expenses, travelling, entertainment, food.

Capital expenditure should see assets being constructed which have a medium term life time.

Recurrent expenditure happens every year and normally refers to and for payments to civil servants, politicians and their aides. 

When recurrent expenditure is too high then it means civil servants and politicians may have a lot of money to spend.  With a lot of money to spend politicians can outspend anybody.  By outspending anybody politicians push up the price of goods and services.  Higher prices leads to inflation.

Spending on recurrent expenditure without any limits ends up in the debt burden increasing as human want is unlimited. This human want will outspend GDP and lead to the country borrowing.

Oh my good God !!!

I thought recurrent expenditure included fixing of roads .

(1) (Reply)

Abia Government Extends Curfew In Aba / Fayose Welcomes Ekiti Accountant General & Finance Commissioner After Release / Atiku Wins Taraba State With 189,017 Votes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.