Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,913 members, 7,802,974 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

Tennis: Australian Open 2012 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis: Australian Open 2012 (28427 Views)

Poll: Who will win the Aussie Open?

Novak Djokovic: 46% (45 votes)
Rafael Nadal: 28% (28 votes)
Roger Federer: 20% (20 votes)
Any Murray: 4% (4 votes)
Other: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Tennis Australian Open 2013. / Tennis: Australian Open 2011 / For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by FOD(m): 9:22pm On Jan 15, 2012
The first grand slam of year 2012 starts in a few hours time. There seems to be no clear favourite in the men's section.

Third-seeded Federer, a four-time Australian Open winner, is on Rod Laver Arena in a night match against Russian qualifier Alexander Kudryavtsev.

No. 2-ranked Nadal [/b]has the last match on Hisense Arena -- the second show court at Melbourne Park -- against Russian Alex Kuznetsov.

Defending champion [b]Djokovic [/b]doesn't start until Tuesday.

Women's champion Kim [b]Clijsters [/b]plays in the third match on Rod Laver Arena on Monday against Maria Joao Koehler of Portugal.

Li [b]Na
, who lost the Australian final last year but rebounded to win the French Open to become China's first Grand Slam singles champion, has a first-round match against Ksenia Pervak of Kazakhstan and No. 1-seeded Caroline Wozniacki, still searching for a maiden major title, faces Australia's Anastasia Rodionova.

Who will win the Aussie Open?
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by FOD(m): 11:54am On Jan 16, 2012
So far, these players are safely through to the second round:

Men:
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI), Marcos Baghdatis (CYP), Tomáš Berdych (CZE), Kevin Anderson (RSA), John Isner (USA), David Nalbandian (ARG), Tommy Haas (GER), Rafael Nadal (ESP), Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR), Juan Martín Del Potro (ARG), Ivo Karlovic (CRO), Sam Querrey (USA), Bernard Tomic (AUS), Roger Federer (SUI), Mardy Fish (USA)

Women:

Jelena Jankovic (SRB), Kim Clijsters (BEL), Na Li (CHN), Daniela Hantuchová (SVK), Victoria Azarenka (BLR), Francesca Schiavone (ITA), Agnieszka Radwanska (POL), Julia Görges (GER)
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by JeSoul(f): 6:31pm On Jan 16, 2012
I expect Djokovic to have another solid year.

Rumor has it Nadal & Fedex beefing a lil' bit . . .

http://espn.go.com/tennis/aus12/story/_/id/7466882/2012-australian-open-rafael-nadal-apologizes-divisive-comments-roger-federer
Rafael Nadal sorry for quips on Federer

MELBOURNE, Australia -- A day after a rare show of discord, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal quickly closed ranks. Nadal had criticized Federer for his unwillingness to speak out on issues affecting the men's game, allowing others to "burn themselves" as they seek improved conditions for players. After joining Nadal in the second round of the Australian Open with a win on Monday, Federer said "things are fine" between the two longtime rivals, although he concedes that they disagree on a way to resolve a list of player grievances that includes the length of the season and the distribution of prize money.

"We can't always agree on everything," Federer said. "So far it's always been no problem really. Back in the day he (Nadal) used to say, 'Whatever Roger decides, I'm fine with.'"Today he's much more grown up. He has a strong opinion himself, which I think is great." For his part, Nadal apologized for airing his disagreement with Federer in public -- although he didn't back down on the views he expressed. "Probably I am wrong telling that to (the media), especially because these things can stay, must stay in the locker room," Nadal said. "I always had fantastic relationship with Roger. I still have fantastic relationship with Roger. Just I said we can have different views about how the tour needs to work. That's all." The rift emerged following a player meeting on Saturday that sparked talk of a possible strike for the second time in six months.

However, Federer said his reluctance to speak out shouldn't be construed as a lack of support."I was in the meeting. I completely understand and support the players' opinions," Federer said. "I just have a different way of going at it. I'm not discussing it with you guys in the press room. It creates unfortunately sometimes negative stories."
So even the ATP is considering going on strike?
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by montelik(m): 10:15pm On Jan 16, 2012
Seems Rafa is ready to get mean this season.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by Nobody: 2:39am On Jan 17, 2012
montelik:

Seems Rafa is ready to get mean this season.

I wont hang my hat on him this AO. Knee injury already.
I would say this is likely going to be another Djokovic year.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by isik: 2:56am On Jan 17, 2012
Federer is still da man to beat, Nadal is still struggling with injuries and fitness. And judging frm last season, I think Djokovic will struggle against Federer, cuz his only loss in a grand slam tournament(last year) was against federer, Djokovic has a federer problem, Nadal has a Djokovic problem and Federer has a Nadal problem grin grin cheesy
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by dayokanu(m): 3:23am On Jan 17, 2012
^^Funny but true
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by juman(m): 6:42am On Jan 17, 2012
isik:

Federer is still da man to beat, Nadal is still struggling with injuries and fitness. And judging frm last season, I think Djokovic will struggle against Federer, cuz his only loss in a grand slam tournament(last year) was against federer, Djokovic has a federer problem, Nadal has a Djokovic problem and Federer has a Nadal problem grin grin cheesy
^^^^
Hmmm, Allahu Akbar.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by member67023: 7:28am On Jan 17, 2012
I give it up to Djokovic. Its his time to reign.
Nadal and Federer are getting rusty. We need fresh blood in Men's tennis Category.

I love women tennis these days , no one remains on top for too long.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by medjai(m): 8:07am On Jan 17, 2012
isik:

You just summed it all up. Djokovic should win though.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by iceberg54: 8:17am On Jan 17, 2012
I think djokovic will win it. Though i want federer to win but the guy can mess up at crucial points like last yr wimbledon wen he was already leadin novak by two sets but still lost the game.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by lafile(m): 8:23am On Jan 17, 2012
isik:

Djokovic has a federer problem, Nadal has a Djokovic problem and Federer has a Nadal problem grin grin cheesy

So true. Of all the stated problems though, I think Djokovic's Federer problems would be the easiest to overcome. However, please do not discount Murray, Ferrer or even Tsonga springing a surprise. This is the Melbourne, and this Slam lends itself to 'pleasant' surprises.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by yam: 9:12am On Jan 17, 2012
Nadal is my man therefore i support him.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by montelik(m): 9:21am On Jan 17, 2012
Abeg none of Sir Roger, Rafa or even Novak will dominate this year. I see a break out year for my personal person, Willie Tsonga [size=5pt]*fingers crossed*[/size]  cool
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by blakcherry(f): 3:15pm On Jan 17, 2012
ans SERENA marches into R2. grin
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by isik: 4:55pm On Jan 17, 2012
frm my own point of view, I think Murray is Overrated, i dont usually follow Tsonga, bt he has been showing sm potential, One player i'm counting on this year is Juan Martin Del Potro, he won the 2009 us open final against federer, bt his progress has been affected by frequent injuries, if he stays fit, i think he'll return to da top 5 this year, FYI: he was da first player to beat both Nadal and Federer in the same tournament
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by Santino1(m): 8:37pm On Jan 17, 2012
isik:

frm my own point of view, I think Murray is Overrated, i dont usually follow Tsonga, bt he has been showing sm potential, One player i'm counting on this year is Juan Martin Del Potro, he won the 2009 us open final against federer, bt his progress has been affected by frequent injuries, if he stays fit, i think he'll return to da top 5 this year, FYI: he was da first player to beat both Nadal and Federer in the same tournament

No doubt JM Del Potro is a threat anyday but his form has dipped so bad in the last two years. Based on current form(i.e. The season-ending ATP world tour) I'd like to give it to Fed but obviously Djokernole is number one for a reason
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by mystikal(m): 9:10pm On Jan 17, 2012
#TeamDjokovic. Tsonga remains a 2nd favourite. Wonder what he was doing with a spanish adidas top earlier in his game vs istomin.

I love how female tennis is so unpredictable! About time Wozniacki got a slam.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by isik: 12:39am On Jan 18, 2012
Santino1:

No doubt JM Del Potro is a threat anyday but his form has dipped so bad in the last two years. Based on current form(i.e. The season-ending ATP world tour) I'd like to give it to Fed but obviously Djokernole is number one for a reason
You r absolutely right man, lets wait and see, and lets not forget Nadal, he can also surprise us. But Federer is my favorite, if he can produce the same form he showed in da Barclays ATP, he's definitely gonna win dis 1.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by iice(f): 5:02am On Jan 18, 2012
Subscribing
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by malaika(f): 12:08pm On Jan 18, 2012
:/
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by mystikal(m): 2:39pm On Jan 18, 2012
Mardy Fish fall my hand,
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by emofine2(f): 2:49am On Jan 19, 2012
isik:
Djokovic has a federer problem, Nadal has a Djokovic problem and Federer has a Nadal problem grin grin cheesy

The rock, paper, scissors of men's tennis.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by TomFord: 3:45pm On Jan 19, 2012
Updates please.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by Santino1(m): 4:25pm On Jan 19, 2012
malaika:

For the ladies I'd say watch out for Petra Kvitova
I'd rather stick with Serena not all these one slam winners that go into oblivion before you could say jack.
isik:

You r absolutely right man, lets wait and see, and lets not forget Nadal, he can also surprise us. But Federer is my favorite, if he can produce the same form he showed in da Barclays ATP, he's definitely gonna win dis 1.
Yeah, He's my favourite too, He has the Swiss support, grin grin grin
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by fredoooooo: 10:47pm On Jan 20, 2012
this first week is too boring , the top seeds are just disgracing the other players in staright sets , most especially the women . i cant wait for the 2nd week , to see full time actions and real tennis ,
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by fredoooooo: 10:54pm On Jan 20, 2012
men no doubt about the winner will come from these three Djokovic , federer or nadal , but i support Nadal , even though hes not playing well at the moment .

women Serena or Kvitova got my support , but lets not forget clijsters she has all it takes to win this , good game and experience , Azarenka playing very well too but i dont think she can win this
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by FOD(m): 5:02pm On Jan 21, 2012
Some Round 3 Results:

Men

Tsonga - Gil 6-2, 6-2, 6-2
Djokovic - Mahut 6-0, 6-1, 6-1
Murray - Llodra 6-4, 6-2, 6-0
Hewitt - Raonic 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, 6-3
Kukushkin - Monfils 6-2, 7-5, 5-7, 1-6, 6-4
Nishikori - Benneteau 4-6, 7-6, 7-6, 6-3
Gasquet - Tipsarevic 6-3, 6-3, 6-1
Ferrer - Chela 7-5, 6-2, 6-1

Women

Williams - Arn 6-1, 6-1
Ivanovic - King 6-3, 6-4
Sharapova - Kerber 6-1, 6-2
Lisicki - Kuznetsova 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
Makarova - Zvonareva 7-6, 6-1
Kvitová - Kirilenko 6-0, 1-0 Ab.
Zheng - Bartoli 6-3, 6-3
Errani - Cirstea 6-7, 6-0, 6-2
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by FOD(m): 5:11pm On Jan 21, 2012
Round 4 Fixtures:

Men

Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
Richard Gasquet (FRA) vs. David Ferrer (ESP)
Andy Murray (GBR) vs. Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ)
Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs. Juan Martín Del Potro (ARG)
Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs. Roger Federer (SUI)
Tomáš Berdych (CZE) vs. Nicolás Almagro (ESP)
Feliciano López (ESP) vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)

Women

Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) vs. Jelena Jankovic (SRB)
Kim Clijsters (BEL) vs. Na Li (CHN)
Victoria Azarenka (BLR) vs. Iveta Benešová (CZE)
Julia Görges (GER) vs. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)
Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) vs. Serena Williams (USA)
Sabine Lisicki (GER) vs. Maria Sharapova (RUS)
Sara Errani (ITA) vs. Jie Zheng (CHN)
Ana Ivanovic (SRB) vs. Petra Kvitová (CZE)
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by montelik(m): 9:37pm On Jan 21, 2012
Looking forward to Del Potro vs Kohlschreiber and Clijsters vs Li Na.
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by fredoooooo: 12:20am On Jan 22, 2012
montelik:

Looking forward to Del Potro vs Kohlschreiber and Clijsters vs Li Na.

add jankovic vs wozniacki to d list
Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 by mystikal(m): 2:59am On Jan 22, 2012
Wozniacki should do Jankovic.

Nadal underway. Should edge Lopez

#teamDjokovic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Hazard Linked With Chelsea Return, Messi's Mount Prediction Justified / Emmanuel Emenike Shows Off Tattoo He Got In Honour Of His Late Father / Sunday Oliseh Rejects Waasland Beveren, Belgian Coaching Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.