Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,230 members, 7,807,764 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? (9972 Views)

Don't intimidate us with EFCC,PDP Senators Warn FG / You Can’t Blackmail, Intimidate Us — PDP Tells Buhari / Nobody Can Intimidate Us, Oba Of Lagos Warns AIG Mbu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by hillsate: 1:53pm On Jan 16, 2012
Guys, i have read all the postulates that preceded the calling off of NLC/TUC strike by the NLC/TUC executives. Most people said the countenance of the labour leaders showed they were intimidated.

Please i want to ask, HOW DO YOU THINK THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT MUST HAVE INTIMIDATED LABOUR?
WHAT DID THEY USE TO INTIMIDATE THEM?

Please your inputs are highly appreciated.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Beaf: 1:58pm On Jan 16, 2012
It should be fairly easy to dig up dirt on most NLC leaders. And when I say dirt, I mean real smelly shiity stuff.
NLC is the backbone of corruption in Nigeria, its just like the police.

Aside from dirt, there's also possible treason, because attempting to shut down oil wells is a totally different ball game from simply staying off work. That is deliberately sabotaging the nations economy and security.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by blacksta(m): 2:04pm On Jan 16, 2012
Mr Beaf

I am guessing one thing Nigerians have learnt - dont trust any labour group . Save Nigerian Group remains the only credible group in Nigerian.

Seriously it was chance to finally deal with corruption in Nigeria

Gej had the chance and backing of the people but he lost it , only because he wanted please the owners of Nigerian.

Looking at the days of IBB and Abacha after any protest. I am not sure GEJ will be able to achieve anything else it is case of siddon and look until 2015

Subsidy still remains - smuggling continiues, nnpc corruption continues - The theives will make up their margins else where.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by blacksta(m): 2:10pm On Jan 16, 2012
And Also

No new refineries will built in the 3 to 5 years - back to square. The only alternative is look forward to Nigeria spliting as predicted by CIA
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Beaf: 2:20pm On Jan 16, 2012
^
You sound really despondent. Its never good to hate without reason, like you people hate GEJ; most times you get burned.

blacksta:

Mr Beaf

I am guessing one thing Nigerians have learnt - dont trust any labour group . Save Nigerian Group remains the only credible group in Nigerian.

Seriously it was chance to finally deal with corruption in Nigeria

Gej had the chance and backing of the people but he lost it , only because he wanted please the owners of Nigerian.

Looking at the days of IBB and Abacha after any protest. I am not sure GEJ will be able to achieve anything else it is case of siddon and look until 2015

Subsidy still remains - smuggling continiues, nnpc corruption continues - The theives will make up their margins else where.

It was never a chance to deal with corruption, otherwise we would have all been out there. It was a protest against N141 per litre fuel that was hijacked by all sorts of sinister groups and individuals. In the end, people began making it up as they went along, because they realised that they had grossly underestimated GEJ (many had thought that he would simply break down in tears and run to mummy).

The thing was simply a waste of everybodies time, that is aside from nearly dragging Nigeria over the precipice. All they have done is slow the wheels of progress.

GEJ has already shown that he is willing to throw himself at Nigeria's difficult problems. He has come out of the protests much stronger than he was when they started; his control of the country is now total, in addition to that, he has soldiers, SSS and all sorts of security operatives crawling all over the opposition stronghold. Shiit will be dug out. I imagine that the soldiers will be there for a week or two, dishing out the odd kick and slap to straighten minds.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by occupy2day: 2:25pm On Jan 16, 2012
[b]Lets Break This Down A Little

When Ever There Is An Increase In Pump Price Of Fuel There Is Always Protest > Negotiations > Agreement Reached.

Fact #The Pump Price Of Fuel Was Suppose To Sell At #100 After the Removal Of Subsidy

Now If This Was To Follow, The Usual Process Would Have Followed (Like Whats Happening Now) Protest > Negotiations > Agreement Reached.

The Pump Price Was Raised To #141

The Protest Face Is Concluded, Negotiations Ongoing And An Agreement To Be Reached.

The President Stated That The Price Is Now #97

If The Price Was Set At #100 From The Very Start And The Protest Followed, Reducing To #97, Would Have Made No Sense To The Masses at All,

The Plan Was > Set It At #141, > Let Them Protest, > We Set It Back To The Targeted Price Of #100 (Thats A Big Margin To Them (the masses), Taking It From #141 To #97)

In The Actual Sense The Pump Price Is Still At #100

Lets Come Down to The Masses Level

If An Okada Man Was Buying One Litre Of Fuel @ #97 And He Pays #100 Who would Give Him Change Of #3?

IS LABOUR GOING TO AGREE AT THE SET PRICE OF #97?

IF SO THE CASE, PROTESTERS/PROTEST WHERE JUST THE PUPPETS USED TO FINISH THE GAME PLAN
ANOTHER MANIPULATION BY GOVERNMENT ON THE PEOPLE.

PROTESTERS WHO LOST THEIR LIVES WOULD HAVE DIED IN VAIN.

If The Price Stay At #97 We Loss And FG/CABALS WIN

#Should We Allow Them Win? And Our Labour Be In Vain?

TAKE THIS MESSAGE TO THE NLC, TUC AND FG

occupynigeria2day@yahoo.com

[/b]
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by blacksta(m): 2:28pm On Jan 16, 2012
Beaf:

^
You sound really despondent. Its never good to hate without reason, like you people hate GEJ; most times you get burned.

it is not hate  - It is frustration whilst the elite enjoys the commonwealth .  It is costing me roughly 100k monthly to survive in Nigeria  and it is barest lifestyle . I have to provide everything  . Now my bill goes up to 150k with income remaining stagant.   If things carry on like this  - One day Nigerians will commit mass suicide.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 16, 2012
you know na! ; D grin grin
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Beaf: 2:59pm On Jan 16, 2012
blacksta:

it is not hate - It is frustration whilst the elite enjoys the commonwealth . It is costing me roughly 100k monthly to survive in Nigeria and it is barest lifestyle . I have to provide everything . Now my bill goes up to 150k with income remaining stagant. If things carry on like this - One day Nigerians will commit mass suicide.

My sympathies, every change brings some amount of difficulty. It should change for the better within the next few months, you have made me see a human side.
I thought you were living in the UK?
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Johndoe100(m): 3:01pm On Jan 16, 2012
Beaf:

^

It was never a chance to deal with corruption, otherwise we would have all been out there. It was a protest against N141 per litre fuel that was hijacked by all sorts of sinister groups and individuals. In the end, people began making it up as they went along, because they realised that they had grossly underestimated GEJ (many had thought that he would simply break down in tears and run to mummy).

The thing was simply a waste of everybodies time, that is aside from nearly dragging Nigeria over the precipice. All they have done is slow the wheels of progress.

GEJ has already shown that he is willing to throw himself at Nigeria's difficult problems. He has come out of the protests much stronger than he was when they started; his control of the country is now total, in addition to that, he has soldiers, SSS and all sorts of security operatives crawling all over the opposition stronghold. Shiit will be dug out. I imagine that the soldiers will be there for a week or two, dishing out the odd kick and slap to straighten minds.

It surprises me that they can not see this.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by blacksta(m): 3:03pm On Jan 16, 2012
Beaf:

My sympathies, every change brings some amount of difficulty. It should change for the better within the next few months, you have made me see a human side.
I thought you were living in the UK?

Lol - That option is open - if this thing get unbearable - I go pack my bags - and Wish you people Happy Nigeria.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 16, 2012
I knew dat the strike action was gona achieve nothing as usual. Most nigerians are so gullible hence will jump in2 any strike action called out by labour in the future even after this failed one and the ones embarked in d past that achieved nothing. I got pissed off whn i saw d likes of fani kayode and d likes of dino melaye and even el rufia addressing d protesters, so they r nw saints abi rather than stoning d devil out of them. Those been addressed were cheering them meaning they ve all 4gotten d massive financial corrupt roles dis guys played whl in office nt long ago! Na wa o. 2mrw whn gej is no longer d president, the same masses will hail him as their hero when he tells them what they want to hear. The truth is that we nigerians v a problem which is mental in nature, we rly dnt ve anything we stand4 dats y we swing back and forth. What we abhor today will turn out to be celebrated 2mrw. Thank God d ill fated strike is over as rightfully predicted and d masses used one more time.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by omo9ja1(m): 3:15pm On Jan 16, 2012
WELL THE FG HAS COMPROMISE FROM N141 < N97

I WAS THINKING THEY WILL SETTLE AT N100

BUT THAT IS TOO HARD FOR A COUNTRY THAT AVERAGE CITIZEN THAT CAN AFFORD TO SPEND $2 PER DAY

I THINK THIS WILL CAUSE MORE HARDSHIP FOR THE POOR MASSES

THERE ARE SEVERAL WAYS NLC COULD BE INTIMIDATED - JOB LOSS, SACK OR EVEN (SKS) DON'T ASK ME THAT DECODE YOURSELF
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by studyineu: 3:17pm On Jan 16, 2012
Hahahahaha, they were asked to accept biometric method system for civil workers and also return the money they have chopped. That's why, hahaha
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by alfredo4u(m): 3:19pm On Jan 16, 2012
Labour Bleep upppppppppppp! Y do start what they couldnt finish, after wasting all dose days sleeping. Their father yannnnnsssssshhhhhhhhh cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by doctokwus: 3:19pm On Jan 16, 2012
By using d age old method perfected in nigeria:ghana must go bags;and d 'assault' wud av come frm all corners,FG,state governor& possibly Lg chairman of each labor representative.Each labor leader probably prays for a contentious issue to go on strike for for them to hit their own jackpot.There are now three sources of stupendous wealth in nigeria;in order they are:politics,new age religion& labor leadership.Bunch of cret ins them all
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by unphilaz(m): 3:29pm On Jan 16, 2012
its unfortunate i was used. placed on a hype drug, to be dashed hope on the rock of distrust. well when again? NEVER
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 16, 2012
return of za general

Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Kolababa: 3:44pm On Jan 16, 2012
general goodluck ebele jonathan
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Kolababa: 3:45pm On Jan 16, 2012
general goodluck ebele jonathan

Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by trimwis: 3:46pm On Jan 16, 2012
Nigeria is really a funny country where some clown called Beaf can collect money from government and post rubbish in nairaland now Nlc have betrayed Nigerians also.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Ninapha(f): 4:02pm On Jan 16, 2012
trimwis:

Nigeria is really a funny country where some clown called Beaf can collect money from government and post rubbish in nairaland now Nlc have betrayed Nigerians also.

Please leave Beaf out of this. You are the one who has been myopic about the concept of subsidy removal as well as "Usual processes of NLC/TUC strike/Dialogue mambo jumbo"

Some of us who know NLc knows they were only going to achieve what they have achieved even though their conquest is a kill on Nigerian future.

No body paid anyone, go study the concept and come back.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by favouredjb(f): 4:03pm On Jan 16, 2012
We re back to square one
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by philip0906(m): 4:07pm On Jan 16, 2012
Ninapha:

Please leave Beaf out of this. You are the one who has been myopic about the concept of subsidy removal as well as "Usual processes of NLC/TUC strike/Dialogue mambo jumbo"

Some of us who know NLc knows they were only going to achieve what they have achieved even though their conquest is a kill on Nigerian future.

No body paid anyone, go study the concept and come back.
heck no. . .u r d one dat is rather myopic.D same u who said dat Jonathan has a reason to fail since d fuel price was not left at 141 naira?d same u who said we should not hold jonathan accountable if he does not stir d country 2wards development?d same u who ties our under development as a country 2 fuel subsidy?how dumb can someone get yet u call someone's views myopic ?  undecided
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jan 16, 2012
Abegi make we hear word.labour tried its best.braving bullets,beaf/jona thugs.they fought well.beaf-satan get thee behind us
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by BetaThings: 4:24pm On Jan 16, 2012
CABAL wins
Jonathan comes distant 2nd
Nigeria loses

FRESH AIR
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by BetaThings: 4:25pm On Jan 16, 2012
Beaf:

It should be fairly easy to dig up dirt on most NLC leaders. And when I say dirt, I mean real smelly shiity stuff.
NLC is the backbone of corruption in Nigeria, its just like the police.

Aside from dirt, there's also possible treason, because attempting to shut down oil wells is a totally different ball game from simply staying off work. That is deliberately sabotaging the nations economy and security.
Yes I remember Dokpesi now

FRESH AIR
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Ninapha(f): 4:30pm On Jan 16, 2012
@philip0906

I suppose u need to read me again in the thread u are quoting. Yea if we had understood the concept well we wd not hv wasted a whole week for no just cause.  I REPEAT, SUBSIDY REMOVAL IS THE WAY OUT! when ppl accuse beaf of being paid to post on NL that is because we are opposed to the idea of subsidy removal and out protest against it, read my lips!, is a grave mistake which would give room for corruption and failure on the part of our government!

Why not allow total removal of the subsidy so that we can hold them responsible if they fail to carry out their promises now. what and where are u holding them Mr poster? when u quote me pls quote write better copy so u dont miss the contextual meaning!
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by ACM10: 4:34pm On Jan 16, 2012
We all know that these labour peeps are sell-out.

It takes a bunch of brainless id!ots to trust them.

That's why Igbo traders refused to join them from day one of their mass hysteria.

In their little mind, they think that they won in the standoff with Jona.

It has always been their pattern all the years.

First, they will inflame people's emotion with their comments.

Then exploit the anger of the masses.

Only for them to go to the back and cut deal with the govt.

Leaving the stup!d masses high and dry.

Too bad that some folks sacrificed their life in this id!ocy.

Igbo people are the most sensible in this debacle for refusing to join up in this group id!ocy.

At the end, nothing is achieved, nothing changes and the little gain of these id!ots will soon be reversed.

mtcheeew. . .phantom country with foolish masses. embarassed

It takes an id!ots to be led by f[i]o[/i]ols
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by philip0906(m): 4:35pm On Jan 16, 2012
Ninapha:

@philip0906

I suppose u need to read me again in the thread u are quoting. Yea if we had understood the concept well we wd not hv wasted a whole week for no just cause.  I REPEAT, SUBSIDY REMOVAL IS THE WAY OUT! when ppl accuse beaf of being paid to post on NL that is because we are opposed to the idea of subsidy removal and out protest against it,  read my lips!, is a grave mistake which would give room for corruption and failure on the part of our government!

Why not allow total removal of the subsidy so that we can hold them responsible if they fail to carry out their promises now. what and where are u holding them Mr poster? when u quote me pls quote write better copy so u dont miss the contextual meaning!
well i'm rather impressed at d way u replied me. . .but only if u guys can counter femi falana,tam david west,tunde bakare and many analyst's claim including me,dat there is no fuel subsidy ind first instance.secound,d reason advanced 4 d removal of d fuel subsidy is rather lame.thirdly,dat d govt misplaced its priorities(fight corruption first and insecurity) and lastly dd so-called palliavatives coming only after nigerians reacted instead of d other way round
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by Amalaaba: 4:38pm On Jan 16, 2012
I would like to address the question posted this way:
The FEG intimidated Labour because they can do that and have all the means of intimidation. If they want the price of Petrol to rise to N300 by December, 2012, they will do it and cannot be stopped.

Before i give my reasons, let me make it clear that i don't believe there is subsidy to be removed and i believe the price increase will lead t untold hardship to Nigerians, no matter what the believers of the FEG says. Obasanjo removed it on Diesel and DPK, what did they do with the money? Increase in recurrent expenditure. GEJ has continued on that path. A guy who used to transport goods from Aba with N13,000 for a bus paid N23,000 for the same amount of goods. I know this would fuel inflation. We should be ready for further increase in PMS prices shortly. I am happy to be on the side of Labour, Profs Chinua Achebe and Tam David-West.

Labour had no choice than to back down because:

[list]
[li]People started loosing their lives and some miscreants started joining the largely peaceful parade
[/li] Some Ijaws turned the struggle into tribal fight and started making insightful statement against other Nigerians, especially Yoruba and Hausa
[li][/li]With extreme poverty in the land, people became wary and were ready to accept anything just to get back to the street to keep trying
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]The Governors and some CAN officials started turning it into a religious matter
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]If the labour refused at this point, they would be crushed and nothing will happen as the polity is already divided and Nigerians are polarised.
[/list] I feel for Labour for fighting for the masses, they new they were going to be messed up, but they were left with no options.

As for those praising the President as a strong man, i beg to disagree, as i don't consider as tough a father who starve his child to death or flog him to end in the hospital for demanding a right to a minimum standard of living.

My prayer is that that we shall all not be disappointed.
Re: How Did Federal Government Intimidate Labour? by nikky5(m): 4:44pm On Jan 16, 2012
What they told shonekan is what they told NLCThe NLC and TUC leaders will be charge with arson if the government is destablised.They believed that labour has been bought over by the opposition to cause mayhem under the guise of the protest and if labour do not come to terms with jonathan, they will be held responsible for whatever is the outcome of their actions.I had said it before that jona will resort to the use of force to force Nigerians to accept his IMF/world bank agenda.They had borrowed and intend to borrow more for governance and pocketing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Finance Bill 2020: Nigerians Don’t Need TIN To Operate Bank Account – FG / What Has Uduaghan Achieved In The Past 5 Years? / You've Done Well, Osinbajo Tells Anambra Industrialists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.