Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,845 members, 7,806,389 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 (3352 Views)

Odion Ighalo Turns Down N90Million Per Week Pay / Muhammad Ali In Agbada Constume In Lagos 1964 / Who Is The Greatest Boxer Of All-time Muhammad Ali Or Manny Pacquiao. A Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by mukina2: 10:31am On Jan 17, 2012
"Rumble, young man, rumble," used to be his battle cry.

But Muhammad Ali is an old man now, ravaged by his years in the ring and his decades of braving Parkinson's disease. The voice that used to bellow that he was "The Greatest" is largely muted now, save for those times in the mornings when he is able to whisper his thoughts.

The face, though, is still that of the most recognizable man on earth. Maybe not as finely chiseled as it was in his prime, but close enough.

"It's not like he doesn't look like himself," said his oldest daughter, Maryum "May May" Ali. "It's the same face, the Parkinson's hasn't affected that.'"

Ali turns 70 on Tuesday, giving Baby Boomers who grew up with him one more reason to reflect on their own advancing years.

He's fought Parkinson's the way he fought the late Joe Frazier, never giving an inch. But it's a fight he can't win, and nearly 30 years of living with it has taken a heavy toll.

His days at home with wife, Lonnie, in a gated community near Phoenix, generally follow the same routine: He gets out of bed and takes a shower before easing into his favorite chair for long hours at a time.

Sometimes he will watch videos of his old fights. The hands will move, eyes will twitch, as he remembers the magnificent fighter and physical specimen he once was.

"I always say the only person who likes to watch old Muhammad Ali fights more than me is him," said John Ramsey, a Louisville radio and television personality who has been a close friend of Ali's for more than 30 years. "His memory is better than mine and he's very sharp. His sense of humor is still there, too."

Through it all he remains a proud man. There are no complaints. No time spent bemoaning his fate.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BOX_ALI_AT_70?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by ziediolike(m): 10:40am On Jan 17, 2012
One of his famous fight wus., "Rumble in d jungle" in zaira where "Ali bomaie" was chanted meaning Ali kill him refering to George foreman. greatman indeed
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 17, 2012
70, cool
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by Korrection(m): 1:22pm On Jan 17, 2012
Never seen a man that hops like a butterfly but stings like a bee, He is a true legend, Ali i wish you well
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by babaogun(m): 1:29pm On Jan 17, 2012
Like Most: He was 5 personalities in one.

HBD Living Legend,
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by nagoma(m): 1:38pm On Jan 17, 2012
wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world.

Muhammad Ali

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/muhammad_ali.html#ixzz1jibpisdt
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by juman(m): 1:39pm On Jan 17, 2012
Korrection:

Never seen a man that hops like a butterfly but stings like a bee, He is a true legend, Ali i wish you well

Yeah. "Am bad" man grin

Muhammad Ali you are great.

Happy birthday to our beloved Muhammad Ali. I wish you many happy years on this plannet of ours'.

Happy birthday sir.
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by nagoma(m): 1:40pm On Jan 17, 2012
I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.

Muhammad Ali

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/muhammadal167376.html#ixzz1jicgpnbR
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by purefella(m): 1:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
hbd ali
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by jimctu: 1:45pm On Jan 17, 2012
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by LEXYLOV: 1:47pm On Jan 17, 2012
Happy Birthday to him. Wishing him more live and good health. wink
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by kizito96(m): 2:41pm On Jan 17, 2012
Congrats Casius Clay
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by fred2265: 5:24pm On Jan 17, 2012
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by IOludayo(m): 5:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
We exclusively represent Aglomar SL, Monaco, Spain, makers of 2 in 1 dual purpose plaster paint and interior decoration products. Our products save you the costs of cement, paint and sand as well as painting and plastering wages. They have been successfully used in Lagos and Ogun States. It provides a unique, water proof finishing for interior and exterior use with the paint being durable for 12 years. It gives your building a unique, beautiful and classy look. It can be used for homes, factories, hotels etc

We wish to partner with individuals, architects engineers, estate developers and builders throughout the country. Contact Ugo-Rosis & Associates on 081 8836 0168, 081 3223 2989. Distributors and marketers wanted nationwide.

see us online at /ugo-rosis OR connect with the Biz Dev Manager on facebook.com/isaacbiz
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by amishguy: 8:25pm On Jan 17, 2012
Watch all the documentaries about Ali here @ http://www.documentaryjungle.com/search?q=Muhammad+Ali
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by Davidbanky(m): 9:30pm On Jan 17, 2012
And he finally said '†н!$ disease made ♏ξ realise †ђa† nobody is †ђξ greatest but God , Touchy , HBD ALI
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by julioralph(m): 10:56pm On Jan 17, 2012
happy birthday great one
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by lepasharon(f): 11:45pm On Jan 17, 2012
kizito96:

Congrats Casius Clay

is tat his real name??
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by velo10: 4:03am On Jan 18, 2012
He's obviously a boxing legend but not the greatest ever. His publicity stunts and his stance against racisim made him extremely popular.

Right now the greatest boxer of all time to me is the unbeaten[b] Floyd "Pretty boy" Mayweather.[/b] 42 wins, no losses, no draws. Earns minimum of 20 million bucks per night for fighting.

Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by Vansnickers: 10:30am On Jan 18, 2012
velo10:

He's obviously a boxing legend but not the greatest ever. His publicity stunts and his stance against racisim made him extremely popular.

Right now the greatest boxer of all time to me is the unbeaten[b] Floyd "Pretty boy" Mayweather.[/b] 42 wins, no losses, no draws. Earns minimum of 20 million bucks per night for fighting.

To me it's Manny Pacquiao, that Guy is the best pound for pound Boxer at the Moment.
ziediolike:

One of his famous fight wus., "Rumble in d jungle" in zaira where "Ali bomaie" was chanted meaning Ali kill him refering to George foreman. greatman indeed

Yeah, that was a great Fight.
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by mdfash(m): 4:02am On Jan 19, 2012
He is the greatest boxer
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by Davidbanky(m): 5:44am On Jan 19, 2012
Its Ali joor,hw many pple know ugly mayweather nd manny,being great is not only by winning,but ur service to others matters also
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by virunga: 9:41am On Jan 19, 2012
the greatest boxer legend
Re: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Turns 70 by Horus(m): 2:32am On Jan 20, 2012
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1y_lpiGgSU&feature=player_embedded[/flash]

1974 | Ali vs Foreman | Zaire (part 3 of 4) 

(1) (Reply)

Hussein Bolt Breaks World Record / Do Real Madrid Sack Capello And Sign Mourinho? / The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.