Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs (1783 Views)

Advice!!! MBBS Or Veterinary Med ? / M.sc In Biochemistry Or B.sc In Nursing, Which Should I Choose? / Your Views - London School Of Business And Finance (lsbf) Mba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by sukzez: 8:42pm On Jan 22, 2012
Im a graduate and i studied Educational Management in which i came out with second class honours-upper division. I have been in search of a job for some while now and what i got are low paid teaching jobs and commissoin based marketing jobs.
Considering the responsibilies resting on my shoulders and the limited opportunities in terms of course studied, i decided to go for an additional certificate so that i can increase my chances of gaining a better paid job.
Please! I need your sincere advise on which of these programmes- MBA, MED or Other Prof Programmes to embark on.
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by chamber2(m): 10:22pm On Jan 22, 2012
If you don't want to continue in the teaching/education sector then go for MBA+professional qualification like ICAN, CFA, CIS etc
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by sukzez: 12:18am On Jan 23, 2012
@chamber.i must show my real appreciation for replying me. GOD bless you. Pls to get a job in a good organisation,hope my foundation wouldnt affect me.
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by chamber2(m): 6:53am On Jan 23, 2012
There is nothing wrong with your foundation, and do not go about feeling that you did not study the right course at the university. What you have is adequate to get a good job. The problem is that there are no jobs.

I would suggest you try HRM (Human Resource Mgt). With a degree in education, teaching experience and maybe MBA (HRM)+ Human resource professional qualification you are good to go.
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by royhan: 8:54am On Jan 23, 2012
Dats a good advice after which look for expacts in writting of cv
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by sukzez: 2:49pm On Jan 23, 2012
@chamber2 n royhan, thank you very much!
Which of these will you advise me to do along with MBA. ICAN,CIPD, or CIPM
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by chamber2(m): 2:53pm On Jan 23, 2012
^^

Whats your career interest? Finance or HRM?
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by sukzez: 3:11pm On Jan 23, 2012
I lik HRM
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by tanimola22: 5:28pm On Jan 23, 2012
chamber2:

There is nothing wrong with your foundation, and do not go about feeling that you did not study the right course at the university. What you have is adequate to get a good job. The problem is that there are no jobs.

I would suggest you try HRM (Human Resource Mgt). With a degree in education, teaching experience and maybe MBA (HRM)+ Human resource professional qualification you are good to go.

Skillfully advised.

@OP, unless you have an unsual likeness for finance and co, the above is one of the best ways to go. Because of the broad background you developed during your training in edu and mgt, embracing a career in HR is almost the most sensible thing to do now.

Indeed, HRM is a specialization in MBA. My sister with a degree in intl relations did exactly that. She worked for Standard Chartered.

Go for it.

T22
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by chamber2(m): 8:59pm On Jan 23, 2012
sukzez:

I lik HRM

Ok, then my suggestion would be;

B.ed (Management 2.1) + Teaching Experience + MBA (HRM) + CIPM = Good Human Resources (HR) job

But know that no qualification guarantees you a good job. Getting a good job depends on luck (5%), connection (50%), personal strategy (10%), intelligence (20%), qualification and grade (10%), school you graduated (1%) and others (4%).

Luck - not all of us are lucky. Most people try several times before they succeed.So 5 % is a rational point

Connection- it can come from various sources; family, friends, old school mates, acquaintances, school etc. In fact, one of the reasons people attend Ivy League colleges is because of connection.

Personal strategy - just like what you are about doing. Some people go on to study up to PhD as their own strategy of breaking the unemployment yoke. others take various professional qualifications etc.

Intelligence - this can truly land you a good job. Employers prefer intelligent employees. But there are very few jobs to absorb all of them. So only very few of them succeed in getting a good job at the long run. There are lots of smart people nowadays, even your next door neighbour.

Qualification and Grade - this also means a lot. Having few qualifications and good grades means you are trainable and disciplined. It takes discipline to earn extra qualification and employers want trainable and disciplined workforce.

Schools one graduated - no doubt mere mention of some schools will give you a lot of opportunities for employment. An OAU graduate is most likely to get a job faster than his counterparts from other less known schools. A Unilag graduate needs no further introduction. However, there are limits ones school can take one. It can only get you to the door, other things depend on you from there.

Others - the interviewer may just like you. Dressing, carriage, appearance etc all play their roles.

I have seen very smart guys without jobs. In fact, there was this guy that was taking my course-mates tutorial classes when i was in school. He graduated as the best (2.1 though) in his department at UNN. He studied mathematics and statistics. I don't know where he is now but he sat at home for 3 yrs without any job except the tutorials he conducted. One of the few guys i respected in my class then is yet to get a job even up till now. He teaches in one secondary school at Ijebu-Ode, Ogun state.

I am not trying to scare you but that is the reality. There are very few good jobs out there. So, you have to leverage on any of the items above to be able to get a good job. The emphasis here is good job, not just job. There are jobs, but there are very few high paying jobs nowadays.
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by tanimola22: 9:41pm On Jan 23, 2012
chamber2:

Ok, then my suggestion would be;

B.ed (Management 2.1) + Teaching Experience + MBA (HRM) + CIPM = Good Human Resources (HR) job

But know that no qualification guarantees you a good. Getting a good job depends on luck (5%), connection (50%), personal strategy (10%), intelligence (20%), qualification and grade (10%), school you graduated (1%) and others (4%).

Luck - not all of us are lucky. Most people try several times before they succeed.So 5 % is a rational point

Connection- it can come from various sources; family, friends, old school mates, acquaintances, school etc. In fact, one of the reasons people attend Ivy League colleges is because of connection.

Personal strategy - just like what you are about doing. Some people go on to study up to PhD as their own strategy of breaking the unemployment yoke. others take various professional qualifications etc.

Intelligence - this can truly land you a good job. Employers prefer intelligent employees. But there are very few jobs to absorb all of them. So only very few of them succeed in getting a good job at the long run. There are lots of smart people nowadays, even your next door neighbour.

Qualification and Grade - this also means a lot. Having few qualifications and good grades means you are trainable and disciplined. It takes discipline to earn extra qualification and employers want trainable and disciplined workforce.

Schools one graduated - no doubt mere mention of some schools will give you a lot of opportunities for employment. An OAU graduate is most likely to get a job faster than his counterparts from other less known schools. A Unilag graduate needs no further introduction. However, there are limits ones school can take one. It can only get you to the door, other things depend on you from there.

Others - the interviewer may just like you. Dressing, carriage, appearance etc all play their roles.

I have seen very smart guys without jobs. In fact, there was this guy that was taking my course-mates tutorial classes when i was in school. He graduated as the best (2.1 though) in his department at UNN. He studied mathematics and statistics. I don't know where he is now but he sat at home for 3 yrs without any job except the tutorials he conducted. One of the few guys i respected in my class then is yet to get a job even up till now. He teaches in one secondary school at Ijebu-Ode, Ogun state.

I am not trying to scare you but that is the reality. There are very few good jobs out there. So, you have to leverage on any of the items above to be able to get a good job. The emphasis here is good job, not just job. There are jobs, but there are very few high paying jobs nowadays.

Unfortunately I have a guy who also fits that description. This guy was a smart thinker, not crammer, while we were at undergrad school. I heard he is currently a secondary school teacher at one of those villages in Lagos. I have been trying to get in touch with him, but with little success. God knows what I will do when I eventually find him.

@OP, you should now be thinking of paying consulting fee to @chamber. He/She has been gbamming your questions to the letter wink.

T22
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by yamakuza: 10:32pm On Jan 23, 2012
** Taking Notes **

[s]I now see why its " Too Sophisticated".[/s]
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by sukzez: 11:32pm On Jan 23, 2012
@chamber2, you are the man. I realy appreciate your sincere and detailed reply, and may the Lord grant you success in all your endeavours. God bless you. Pls this is my email- walex4sukses@yahoo.com. I will love to have you as my mentor. Thanks, anticipating your reply.

@ others:-D, thanks for your contribution
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by chamber2(m): 12:35am On Jan 24, 2012
^
I never reach to mentor any body o grin I still dey hustle

But i have sent u a request on fb as a friend. At least we can rob minds na
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by AjanleKoko: 11:16pm On Jan 24, 2012
sukzez:

Im a graduate and i studied Educational Management in which i came out with second class honours-upper division. I have been in search of a job for some while now and what i got are low paid teaching jobs and commissoin based marketing jobs.
Considering the responsibilies resting on my shoulders and the limited opportunities in terms of course studied, i decided to go for an additional certificate so that i can increase my chances of gaining a better paid job.
Please! I need your sincere advise on which of these programmes- MBA, MED or Other Prof Programmes to embark on.

Go and teach, or work in an educational organization as a school administrator.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. Go and get work experience. There are tons of private schools in Nigeria, and the list is growing every day. One day you might be an entrepreneur supplying some form of service to those schools. Don't be lazy, going off to chase certificates. Go and work.
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by deenee: 10:38pm On Feb 10, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Go and teach, or work in an educational organization as a school administrator.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. Go and get work experience. There are tons of private schools in Nigeria, and the list is growing every day. One day you might be an entrepreneur supplying some form of service to those schools. Don't be lazy, going off to chase certificates. Go and work.

True words bro, teach, get some relevant experience and then carve out a niche for yourself. At some point in your career preferably, mid way, you could embark on some educational pursuit if required, that will add credibility to your extant experience-it might not be any of the above mentioned because what will define the course of study then is the contemporary demand on ground. Unless, if of course, you are considering a 360 degree career change!

The path you want to  pursue now is akin to putting the 'cart in front of the horse' and is a clear case of how many people attempt to accelerate their career in the short term, in a reverse chronological order. This strategy is good in the short term but has dire consequences in the long term.

I have friend who has taught in a private school for four years in Nigeria, discovered a gap in the private educational sector in Nigeria and immediately acquired the requisite qualifications abroad to fill this gap. Now she is back in Nigeria and runs a boutique consultancy firm in Lagos that helps private schools develop and expand their existing curriculum so that they can compete with international standards. She is in a 'class' of her own now and gradually building her 'brand equity'.

Guess what, she didn't go for any of the fancy qualifications as most of us would because we have been programmed to 'follow a script', she simply acquired some curriculum development training and consolidated this with her experience.

I just hope I am making sense.

Thank you!
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by AjanleKoko: 5:45am On Feb 11, 2012
^^
Makes perfect sense to me.
People should go and get work experience. It will open your eyes.
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by tanimola22: 3:43pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^^^^

I am sure you know that what works for a person tends to make absolute sense to the person.

An academic of naija origin, who lectures abroad, once told me that ' professional work experience makes zero sense'. We actually met at one of those institutes for seminars/conferences/workshops. He said 'what makes perfect sense is for a person to study up to PhD level and then do research afterwards'. He said 'looking for a job or professional work experience is a waste of time and talent' hahahahah. All attempts at making him see the good side of professional work experience were met with strong resistance and culminated in a heated debate(respectful one).

Everything has a frame of reference, just as you and the prof have demonstrated. hahahaha.

T22.
Re: Too Sophisticated: Should I Choose Mba, Med Or Other Prof Progs by AjanleKoko: 5:29pm On Feb 11, 2012
tanimola22:

^^^^^

I am sure you know that what works for a person tends to make absolute sense to the person.

An academic of naija origin, who lectures abroad, once told me that ' professional work experience makes zero sense'. We actually met at one of those institutes for seminars/conferences/workshops. He said 'what makes perfect sense is for a person to study up to PhD level and then do research afterwards'. He said 'looking for a job or professional work experience is a waste of time and talent' hahahahah. All attempts at making him see the good side of professional work experience were met with strong resistance and culminated in a heated debate(respectful one).

Everything has a frame of reference, just as you and the prof have demonstrated. hahahaha.

T22.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Insitute Of Safety Professionals - Which course do I start with? / Careers In Cyber Security Science / How To Earn A Very Comfortable Living As A Well Paid Freelance Writer In 2022...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.