Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! (7562 Views)

The Site That Teaches You To Code Well Enough To Get A Job / 4 Ways To Speed Up A Slow Internet Connection / Java Interface Connection To Database(ms Access Or Java Dbase) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by lifestyle1(m): 2:13am On Jan 25, 2012
grin Hi, I stumbled on a Website that can run without Internet Connection. If you considered it a joke then think over it, Its an Indian website dedicated to one of their past hero - Rajni

The Special thing about it is that it only runs without any Internet Connection using a complex algorithm which keeps an eye on the flow of data packets between two hosts. The website is created in Flash.

quote from the developer ''After a few iterations and testing, we cracked the code required to build the world’s first website that runs without the internet – a website that runs offline – which is as awesome and unbelievable as miracles and stunts associated or performed by Rajni himself,”

here is the site have fun : shocked www.desimartini.com/allaboutrajni.htm shocked
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 8:25am On Jan 25, 2012
The Special thing about it is that it only runs without any Internet Connection using a complex algorithm which keeps an eye on the flow of data packets between two hosts. The website is created in Flash.

Not correct.

It uses HTML5 offline storage. This link will help:
http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/offline/whats-offline/#toc-html5-offline-storage
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by logica(m): 1:24am On Jan 26, 2012
LOL. So the page magically arrives on the computer through packets floating in the air or what?
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by sweetpawn1: 8:53am On Jan 26, 2012
Love the site! Reminds me of those old school Indian movies!
They say its no ordinary website cos its made for no ordinary man! grin
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 11:34am On Jan 26, 2012
^
Your post made me visit the website. its quite creative really, just as the OP says!
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 26, 2012
Nothing like that! Just clear you cache after visiting the site and type the website address on your browser while cutting off your connection and see what happens. Or simply go offline before visiting the site. Every information you needed about that site short pages are already downloaded to your system. It is not a magic nor something new. It is like saving your site as an offline pages to your system!
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 11:46am On Jan 27, 2012
^
Like I said here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-854455.0.html#msg10042056
Its HTML5 Offline Storage. HTML5 is the next big thing on the internet, everybody should be learning it. cool
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Mobinga: 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2012
cool cool

Check this out too http://www.onehourpersecond.com/

HTML 5 is dopee, but very vast and time consuming.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by logica(m): 3:27pm On Jan 27, 2012
All of this is not new to even casual iOS app developers.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 27, 2012
HTML 5 is not a big deal as well. I would rather advice people to learn programming languages like C, java or Python which extensions can be embedded in HTML 5 yet can be use to develop other projects.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 30, 2012
Even without HTML5, i have done sites like that before na. Once the site loads, cache all the pages into arrays. So on clicking anything, the stuff comes up wether you ave connection or not - and this was like 5 years ago. Of course, it is smoother with HTML5.
But no big deal sha. These dayz, we are talking of complex web apps that pull data from here and there in real time. A small example is the NSE API i made on www.nse..net - i ave to pull data across servers. . . .and provide like real-time data that autoupdates everynow and then
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 4:19pm On Jan 30, 2012
^
But your arrays would have had to come from the server, except the arrays were saved to cookies. In the website we are discussing, the entire thing is saved to a client side database, so you never need to make a trip to the server.

HTML5 offers the following clintside storage mechanisms:

[list]
[li]Application Cache[/li]
[li]Database Storage (SQL) ***[/li]
[li]Local Storage[/li]
[li]Session Storage[/li]
[/list]

You can even close your browser, or switch off the computer totally. When you crank up again, the website will still be there, even without connecting to the web. HTML5 is a new beastie that in time, should overthrow most functions of lighter web frameworks like PHP and Classic ASP.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Mobinga: 9:47pm On Jan 30, 2012
Beaf:

^
But your arrays would have had to come from the server, except the arrays were saved to cookies. In the website we are discussing, the entire thing is saved to a client side database, so you never need to make a trip to the server.

HTML5 offers the following clintside storage mechanisms:

[list]
[li]Application Cache[/li]
[li]Database Storage (SQL) ***[/li]
[li]Local Storage[/li]
[li]Session Storage[/li]
[/list]

You can even close your browser, or switch off the computer totally. When you crank up again, the website will still be there, even without connecting to the web. HTML5 is a new beastie that in time, should overthrow most functions of lighter web frameworks like PHP and Classic ASP.

Cookies? How is that even possible for saving that much of data?

Seems not practically feasible see the RFC specification;

Practical user agent implementations have limits on the number and
size of cookies that they can store. In general, user agents' cookie
support should have no fixed limits. They should strive to store as
many frequently-used cookies as possible. Furthermore, general-use
user agents should provide each of the following minimum capabilities
individually, although not necessarily simultaneously:

* at least 300 cookies

* at least 4096 bytes per cookie (as measured by the size of the
characters that comprise the cookie non-terminal in the syntax
description of the Set-Cookie header)

* at least 20 cookies per unique host or domain name

User agents created for specific purposes or for limited-capacity
devices should provide at least 20 cookies of 4096 bytes, to ensure
that the user can interact with a session-based origin server.

The information in a Set-Cookie response header must be retained in
its entirety. If for some reason there is inadequate space to store
the cookie, it must be discarded, not truncated.

Applications should use as few and as small cookies as possible, and
they should cope gracefully with the loss of a cookie.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2109.txt
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by NumberOne2(m): 10:50am On Feb 01, 2012
OP, you should read more on how the HTTP PROTOCOL works. Having an offline storage is different from surfing the web. Even Microsoft Encarta with its complex features still needs updates via the web.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 9:11pm On Feb 01, 2012
Mobinga:

Cookies? How is that even possible for saving that much of data?

Seems not practically feasible see the RFC specification;

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2109.txt

Its wrong to talk for the sake of it, sir. Do you know anything about the website *dhtml is talking about, how much data there was, in what format it was saved, the size of the website etc? Or are you just emitting gas as usual?
In the pre-HTML5 World, cookies were the only clientside storage mechanism available to the developer, browser cache doesn't qualify. Do you know of any other clienstide storage mechanism *dhtml could have used?

Please take your crap to people at your level. Thank you.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Mobinga: 11:23am On Feb 02, 2012
Beaf:

Its wrong to talk for the sake of it, sir. Do you know anything about the website *dhtml is talking about, how much data there was, in what format it was saved, the size of the website etc? Or are you just emitting gas as usual?
In the pre-HTML5 World, cookies were the only clientside storage mechanism available to the developer, browser cache doesn't qualify. Do you know of any other clienstide storage mechanism *dhtml could have used?

Please take your crap to people at your level. Thank you.

Oh please shut up you fool, talking for the sake of it?
You're talking of saving arrays containing contents of a page to cookies? I'm saying it's not even practically possible to do that, given cookies are a max of 4096 bytes. So he would save bits in one array, append then jump to the next cookie, append? Dunce.

Besides, when did you miss this?

*dhtml:

Even  without HTML5, i have done sites like that before na. Once the site loads, cache all the pages into arrays. So on clicking anything, the stuff comes up wether you ave connection or not - and this was like 5 years ago.

Can't you understand simple written English? He said Once the site loads.

You should understand something before trying to find flaws.

Talk about "people at your level" when you can't comprehend simple English.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Kaygeminix(f): 10:48am On Feb 03, 2012
seems like the work of html5
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 6:27pm On Feb 03, 2012
Mobinga:

Oh please shut up you fool, talking for the sake of it?
You're talking of saving arrays containing contents of a page to cookies? I'm saying it's not even practically possible to do that, given cookies are a max of 4096 bytes. So he would save bits in one array, append then jump to the next cookie, append? Dunce.

Besides, when did you miss this?

Can't you understand simple written English? He said Once the site loads.

You should understand something before trying to find flaws.

Talk about "people at your level" when you can't comprehend simple English.

Yes, you are talking for the sake of it. And you know what that does? It cuts you out as someone who is as incapable of critical thinking as the average frog.

*dhtml says he built a site similar to the one in question, to which I replied that the only way to do that in pre-HTML5 days would have been to use cookies. That was to suggest to him that he was very likely mistaken, but out you hopped off your tree branch like some nocturnal creature or bad winsh to argue with yourself! grin

Truly entertaining shiit! grin grin grin grin

Anyways, it is not impossible to store a website in cookies, especially if a dev has your abysmal level of intelligence.
But bruv, to prove my conclusion about your IQ wrong, lets test you IQ:

What is the minimum size of a website?
What is the size of the website *dhtml built? Hint; the answer requires winsh power. shocked
What is the maximum size of the pages in the website *dhtml built? Hint; the answer requires winsh power shocked
What is the minimum size of a web page?
What stops any of the above being stored in a set of cookies if of suitable size?

Jump up and slap yourself after you have flunked all the questions above. TAWAI!!
Sir, you make the word, stup!d seem like its a word of praise! Does it take practice and effort to be the way you are? Does it give you a headache?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Mobinga: 7:03pm On Feb 03, 2012
Oh now you're digressing? Fool.

Beaf:

^

Look at this fool, explain how he would save the site in the cookies given the size limit, and retrieve them at will.  shocked shocked shocked

LMFAO.  grin grin

Cookies are set with headers you ignorant illiterate.

Ignorant fool arguing about what he hasn't the slightest idea about.

All these stems from your inability to grasp simple written English. What part of this below don't you understand?

*dhtml:

Once the site loads, cache all the pages into arrays. So on clicking anything, the stuff comes up wether you ave connection or not - and this was like 5 years ago. Of course, it is smoother with HTML5.

You still went on with your neonatal brain to state this :

Beaf:

^
But your arrays would have had to come from the server, except the arrays were saved to cookies.

LMFAO. What an ldiot.  grin grin grin Next time understand before attempting to exhibit your unparalleled lunacy.

Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 9:29pm On Feb 03, 2012
Mobinga:

Cookies are set with headers you ignorant illiterate.

What a grass eating baboon!!
So, what happens if being the dimwit you are, you decide to access a cookie with clientside JavaScript? Now that wouldn't require your glorious request headers or a server call. Would it?
Headers my foot. You are truly a fool, sir and I am enjoying teaching you even if its like teaching a rock.

Dude, you can type in red font that is size, it wouldn't hide the fact that your head is empty. So now that the crap about headers has been cleared, can you take the lil IQ test? No dodging.

What is the size of the website *dhtml built? Hint; the answer requires winsh power. shocked
What is the maximum size of the pages in the website *dhtml built? Hint; the answer requires winsh power shocked
What stops any of the above being stored in a set of cookies if of suitable size?

By the way, a couple of friends are looking for a place to store yams, stones, rocks, nails, iron rods, sand and cement. Since your head is vacant, can I rent the space? Easy cash na! grin grin grin grin grin grin

Animal go faint o!!

Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Mobinga: 8:50am On Feb 04, 2012
Shut up morron. You're getting hurt?  grin
Further confirming you negligible intelligence.

Still running away from your gross lack comprehension? Your inability to comprehend written English is the root of this.

I reiterate. What part of this below didn't you understand?

*dhtml:

Even  without HTML5, i have done sites like that before na. Once the site loads, cache all the pages into arrays. So on clicking anything, the stuff comes up wether you ave connection or not - and this was like 5 years ago. Of course, it is smoother with HTML5.

grin grin shocked shocked

Are you that slow?  grin

You went on to state this :

Beaf:

^
But your arrays would have had to come from the server, except the arrays were saved to cookies.

shocked shocked shocked Damn.

These are the kind of slow empty headed ldiots we have in Aso Rock.   cry  cry  cry cry

What a waste.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by lordZOUGA(m): 3:17pm On Feb 04, 2012
this is fun. Please, you guys should not stop.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 9:44pm On Feb 04, 2012
Mobinga:

Shut up morron. You're getting hurt?  grin
Further confirming you negligible intelligence.

Still running away from your gross lack comprehension? Your inability to comprehend written English is the root of this.

I reiterate. What part of this below didn't you understand?

grin grin shocked shocked

Are you that slow?  grin

You went on to state this :

shocked shocked shocked Damn.

These are the kind of slow empty headed ldiots we have in Aso Rock.   cry  cry  cry cry

What a waste.

Lol! Imagine the huge rigmarole in order to avoid the IQ test I set for you. Dude, there is no harm in taking it, I only wanna check if your evolution has passed the stage of baboon.

Here is the test again:

Beaf:

Jump up and slap yourself after you have flunked all the questions above. TAWAI!!
Sir, you make the word, stup!d seem like its a word of praise! Does it take practice and effort to be the way you are? Does it give you a headache?
grin grin grin grin

Considering your particularly stup!d response about cookies and headers, I want to add a new riddle to test your patheticaly weak lil brain:
Is it not possible to access cookies outside request headers? grin grin grin

After failing the IQ test above, feel free to repeat:
Sir Beaf, my lord and master, I repent as a cut and nail coder; I am here to learn from you. And though mobinga is stup!d as a nematode, I know you are patient enough to teach, teach, teach. My lord Beaf, may your knowledge continue to mystify, baffle and discombobulate me.

[size=14pt]Unu go wound o!
Mobinga, the daft; WHAT IS A COOKIE? Do you even know?![/size]
grin grin grin grin grin

Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by delomos(m): 5:27am On Feb 05, 2012
Beaf:

, HTML5 is a new beastie that in time, should overthrow most functions of lighter web frameworks like PHP and Classic ASP.

Can you explain what that means?
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Nobody: 6:44am On Feb 05, 2012
I was not talking about cookies o jare. There has always been some form of local storage in HTML from time o jare (it has just gotten better with HTML 5).
And when i said arrays, i could pass a serialized array from the server to javascript in form of json-encoded data - and i can store this into the local HTML cache (not HTML 5).

BTW, i was talking of what is called "IE userdata". In order to forestall further arguments - please see this thread o jare - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7328126/html4-or-anything-pre-html5-offline-storage-what-how

@mobinga, take it easy o jare - i was probably lookin at a chic while typing my post.

- Feliz domingo y hasta la vista amigos (happy sunday and until we see again amigos)
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 3:51pm On Feb 05, 2012
*dhtml:

I was not talking about cookies o jare. There has always been some form of local storage in HTML from time o jare (it has just gotten better with HTML 5).
And when i said arrays, i could pass a serialized array from the server to javascript in form of json-encoded data - and i can store this into the local HTML cache (not HTML 5).

BTW, i was talking of what is called "IE userdata". In order to forestall further arguments - please see this thread o jare - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7328126/html4-or-anything-pre-html5-offline-storage-what-how

@mobinga, take it easy o jare - i was probably lookin at a chic while typing my post.

- Feliz domingo y hasta la vista amigos (happy sunday and until we see again amigos)

Lol! Thanks bruv, IE userdata is a non-standard cookie implemented by Microsoft since IE5 (many devs call it a super cookie or XML cookie). I guess that sad thng, Mobinga's gonna faint now.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 3:59pm On Feb 05, 2012
delomos:

Can you explain what that means?

There are quite a few functions that HTML5 will have out of the box that will slowly begin to eat into the space of weaker web frameworks like Classic ASP and PHP. There are things like video (with the access to pixels for manipulation), SQL local storage that can be accessed offline (as we are discussing on this thread), form validation etc.

HTML5 is going to change the way apps are written in the next few years. IMHO, local storage and video are the killer apps.
Check these links on pixel manipulation:
http://beej.us/blog/2010/02/html5s/      (this is part I)
http://beej.us/blog/2010/02/html5s-canvas-part-ii-pixel-manipulation/      (this is part II)
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by delomos(m): 5:17pm On Feb 05, 2012
@Beaf: Very nice reads. I should also add that classic ASP is dying rather fast anyways. But I do think HTML5 is a different ball from languages like PHP, Ruby, or other server-side - - they solve different problems. HTML 5 is client-side/front-end which is just a buzz word really (think Ajax or Web 2.0), under the hood, H5 is just plains old HTML with native JS libraries.

I think we can both agree that JavaScript and PHP & co. are not competitors. And that's not to say that most of the sweet things CSS3/H5 brings depends highly on browsers support (that isn't really standard yet).

I doubt that companies really want to trust client-side storage for anything sensitive.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Beaf: 9:07pm On Feb 05, 2012
delomos:

@Beaf: Very nice reads. I should also add that classic ASP is dying rather fast anyways. But I do think HTML5 is a different ball from languages like PHP, Ruby, or other server-side - - they solve different problems. HTML 5 is client-side/front-end which is just a buzz word really (think Ajax or Web 2.0), under the hood, H5 is just plains old HTML with native JS libraries.

I think we can both agree that JavaScript and PHP & co. are not competitors. And that's not to say that most of the sweet things CSS3/H5 brings depends highly on browsers support (that isn't really standard yet).

I doubt that companies really want to trust client-side storage for anything sensitive.

You are right about HTML5 being a totally different ball game from the server side languages. However the rich-client HTML5 is a game changer, especially as its not a 3rd party technology like Silverlight and Flash that require proprietry pluggins.
Already, both traditional rich client technologies are beginning to feel some heat with Flash being rendered obsolete and Silverlight relegated to the cobwebs by MS.

More than the above, the importance of "apps" has risen dramatically with the pervasiveness of smart phones and tablets. A trend that is only going to accelerate dramatically when Windows 8 ships; because its touchscreen is based on HTML5/JavaScript, as will its apps.

HTML5 is still far from a standard, but it is not difficult to see the future of rich internet experiences that will be driven natively by it. All a server language would need do is generate HTML5. The role of the current server languages will have to change to meet the new reality with presentation based, spaghetti type languages like PHP and Classic ASP being first to die out. They will be replaced by better designed languages that do not pretend to do interface stuff like Java, C#, Ruby, Python etc.
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Nobody: 11:57pm On Feb 05, 2012
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Nobody: 7:00am On Feb 06, 2012
omo_to_dun:

[size=15pt]Beaf VS Mobinga: The Cookie War of 2012.[/size]
*its gonna be a blast* i wonder who go win sef. . .
Re: A Site That Requires No Internet Connection To Surf! by Nobody: 7:15am On Feb 06, 2012
I finally now remember what it was i did with the IE userdata now. I made an application that runs in the browser (2004/2005) like Notepad for storing data on the PC temporarily especially in cyber cafes. So the application runs inside web browser and allows you to store data and retrieve once u ave opened it - and it does not need internet to do that. That ERA almost all cybercafes in my area use IE. In fact, i use IE for testing my codes and all that. It was IE and CrazyBrowser for me back then.
Aye, i remember another one - the version of .net then (formerly dhtmlonline.com) has an extensive cache system that allows it to load all contents required in the background via ajax and displays them on clicking without requiring internet connection to navigate the pages.
But the new HTML5 makes all those things easier. . .

The other applications i made using similar technologies, i cannot remember at the moment. That was just a diversion, oya, mobinga, come back here and give us more facts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software / A New Search Engine / No Java Required: Write Android Apps In C#

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.