Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat (41555 Views)

Senators – A Scapegoat Has To Be Made For The Falsehood Being Peddled On Social / How To Defeat Boko Haram: A Message To Nigerian Security Services / Is Boko Haram a pawn in the bigger political game? - Alexander Nekrassov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by paulipopo(m): 6:25am On Jan 25, 2012
How to Tackle Terrorism in Nigeria: Part 1

Please accept my humble sympathies fellow Nigerians if you have been so unlucky to be at the receiving end of a demonic onslaught against innocent and defenseless citizens by a devilish Radical Islamist Sect called Boko Haram whose only mission seems to destroy the peace and harmony of the Nigerian state. I am not a security expert, but I’m sensible enough to read the hand writing on the wall and analyze a critical situation that must not be left unchecked. Just in case the federal government and other security agencies are looking for ideas on how to tackle the menace of terrorism, I’m freely offering advice here and hope it will be listened to or some of the ideas found useful. Even so this is my little contribution to national security so feel free to join in this discussion. Let us brainstorm and find ways to make Nigeria safer or where that is not possible for us to divide and go our separate ways in the most peaceful and progressive way possible although the true motive of Boko Haram is Political and I will explain this later under how to tackle terrorism.

Emerging as a radical fundamentalist Islamic sect in 2002 the group which at one time was dubbed the Nigerian Taliban for their similar ideological stand against anything western has certainly gone beyond its boundaries as a sect seeking to make their religious practices the order of the day in their musliim dominated Northern Nigeria. To my mind, just as the Taliban in Afghanistan used Islam as a tool to oppress and intimidate all manner of dissent and still promote global terrorism by harbouring al-qaeda just as Al-shabbab in Somalia that went as far as prescribing death sentences on Somali citizens caught watching football matches in the last world cup – South Africa 2010 – these groups will make life unbearable if they are given political power which is clearly what they want pretending instead to be out to purify Islam and make the purest form of Islamic practice through Sharia to be the order of the day.

From time in memorial this sect has said anything western is anti-Islamic and therefore devilish and should be destroyed. You will recall when in 2008/2009 without provocation this group suddenly attacked police stations across northern Nigeria, destroying properties and killing policemen for no just reason in states such as Bauchi, Borno, Gombe and Kano. The police responded by rounding up their members and summarily executing them. The world screamed blue murder, and we all agreed but come 2010, the group’s untouched members regrouped and have become more daring and dangerous killing anyone it hates and usually for the flimsiest of reasons. For instance killing a prominent politician – a governorship candidate of ANPP – who openly criticized them, a Muslim cleric was not spared either. A journalist with NTA and several other minor assassinations as well. Carrying out bomb blasts against Western Institutions such as the United Nations in Abuja and the Police head quarters in Abuja (after the IGP called Boko Haram a bunch of minor criminals who pose no real threat to national security), attacking relaxation joints such as suya joints, Mammy Markets in Barracks, churches and INEC offices.

What does Boko Haram really want?

From the way they operate it is quite clear they are ought to undermine the government of Nigeria by accomplishing the following;

1. Spread fear across the length and Breadth of Northern Nigeria especially among the political elite and gain relevance in the process. This is seen by the fact that they will assassinate anyone who publicly criticizes or offends them e.g foiled assassination attempt on Hafiz Ringim and assassination of ANPP governorship candidate in Borno State.

2. Turn the people against the Federal Government by undermining the efficiency of security agencies. They always brag about being able to strike whenever and wherever they want and claiming that they are stronger than our security agencies.

3. Trivialize national issues into religious crisis. Claiming that attacks against Christians are reprisals for killings and cannibalism against Muslims in Northern Nigeria. Yet they also killed a lot of Muslims in Kano recently and telling all Muslims living in the South to relocate to the North and Vice Versa or face death.

4. Promote anarchy by causing confusion and widespread panic. They have no clearly defined targets anywhere there is a public gathering is a potential target. Churches, relaxation spots, government offices, INEC and other government parastatals, Security agencies such as police, army, immigration and their base stations, Mammy Markets and sometimes attacking people by the roadside.

5. Gaining political leverage for their cause. Claiming that more deaths and carnage will be inflicted on Nigeria firstly implies that there will be potential breakdown of law and order leading to declaration of state of emergency and curfews which weakens the state governments further and drives more attention to their demands. This makes them seem more powerful than they really are.

Summary

Clearly nothing from what they want to achieve is Islamic, so trying to dialogue with them is a waste of time and they would only agree to do so if they are losing the battle for now they don’t seem to be and hence have turned down requests for dialogue and even amnesty. Therefore the battle is best handled in a Bosom-for-tat manner. Citizens should be security conscious and give useful information to the police even if we don’t like the police right now they are our friends at least compared to Boko Haram.

End of Part 1

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by Lasinoh: 8:22am On Jan 25, 2012
Very well-written!
Bravo!!!!  cool

The Nigerian Poice Force is no different from Boko Haram. kiss
Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by paulipopo(m): 10:53am On Jan 25, 2012
@lasinoh, thanks for the compliment but am not sure about police being d same as BH
Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by paulipopo(m): 2:48am On Jan 27, 2012
How to deal with them

Let’s see how the likes of Al-shabbab, Al-qaeda and the Taliban where dealt with to know how we can also handle Boko Haram. I personally believe we don’t need foreign help in dealing with them because we can crush them look at what Kenya is doing to Al-shabbab in Somalia and Kenya is not as developed as Nigeria although the Al-shabbab of Somalia is a conventional force unlike the faceless cowards in Nigeria.
Firstly, Al-qaeda is a much weaker terrorist group from its peak in 2001 when they carried out the 9/11 attacks, they have become a splintered group unable to function actively and effectively in their previous strongholds. Their

capacity to function was effected in three ways;

1. Breakdown their chain of command

After 9/11, America declared war on terrorism and set in place legislation and policies to curb them. One of such policies was to round up members of terrorist groups and interrogate them to obtain information about their operations. This information in turn was used in gaining insights into the leadership structure of al-qaeda. Terrorist groups usually suffer when their leaders are killed and Israel has demonstrated this against Hamas so the natural cause was find their leaders and sponsors, then kill them. Osama Bin laden was the financier and leader of al-qaeda using his personal resources to fund their operations his death would naturally make life difficult for the group that was why US special forces preferred to kill him rather than arrest him. 21 other al-qaeda leaders have been killed by US drones or American Marines in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.
With the Taliban it is a totally different approach. They are more of a militant group fighting for political survival and hence are not necessarily out to hurt US interests but they might consider doing so when they are more powerful. Now they are willing to enter dialogue with the US on how to bring an end to the armed conflict in Afghanistan something they were not willing to do in 2001 when they were still in charge but now they are weaker and so want to dialogue. With militant terrorist groups like Al-shabbab and the Taliban, military operations seem to be effective as they are usually limited in their ability to function and when the situation becomes unbearable for them will usually seek dialogue.

2. Stop their financing

For the Taliban, the opium trade was a major source of financing before they captured power and now that they are out, seems to be their best option since Osama their former ally is gone and his financing had also stopped coming freely. With poor financing they would be low on supplies and wouldn’t be able to pay the family of suicide bombers hence massive reduction in suicide bombing – almost always the suicide bombers are from poor families and the promises made to them are very attractive e.g secure future for the loved ones they will leave behind plus the promise of heavenly bliss.

3. Ideological and Psychological Warfare

People should realize that terrorism is actually a psychological weapon that hides behind an ideological objective as its aim and these objective(s) usually come as political and economic demands. For instance Boko Haram claims it wants to practice the purest form of Islam in Northern Nigeria, who do you think they would want to effect such a change? They of course, so indirectly they are making a demand for political control of Northern Nigeria just like Al-shabbab did in Somalia and the Taliban in Afghanistan except that their Ideological objective which cannot be achieved by dialogue or diplomacy must be achieved by using fear tactics (the psychological weapon) e.g suicide bombing, random killings against defenseless citizens, armed insurgency and so on.
Since terrorism involves using instruments of fear such as death and death threats to frighten the general population and turn it against government so that government can then give in to the terrorists then the right way to deal with them is to make their efforts fruitless by not giving into their demands. It’s like me beating up your child because I want your child to cry to you to look after my interests, any time you fail to give me what I want your child suffers, will you continue to meet my needs? That is stupidity and cowardice combined and no sane person yields to terrorists that is why most western governments don’t negotiate with them even in hostage situations and hi-jacking which were popular in the 60’s to 80’s. These tactics have failed them overtime and so the more fashionable thing to do these days is suicide bombing, armed insurgency and militancy all of which can be tackled effectively.

So to tackle Boko Haram do the exact opposite of what they really want you to do. Once you identify the real motive behind a terrorist act, do the exact opposite of what that act was supposed to achieve. For instance attacking and killing people in Kano because government refused to release their members means what they want is for government to stop targeting their members for arrests and prosecution. What should government do? Go after more members, arrest every one of them if it is possible and even assassinate their leaders these will turn the table against them.

Also note that terrorism thrives on exaggeration. The terrorists want to seem more powerful and dangerous than they really are so expect them to say things like “there will be more attacks”, or even giving ultimatums. Christians living in the North should stay where they are the only thing is they should be more vigilant and should form vigilante groups to protect themselves, running away only makes the terrorists smile.

Why is it that the leaders of terrorist groups are not willing to strap a bomb around them to commit suicide? Because they want to stay alive and rule, it is the foot soldiers - who have nothing to look forward to or have been brainwashed or both - that usually end up as suicide bombers, why did Osama not join in the 2001 9/11 operations if martyrdom is such a noble act? The same premise applies to all terrorist leaders, making them know that at anytime they could be killed reduces the chances of them sponsoring cowardly terrorist acts because they themselves are not willing to die. Israel does this by raiding their hide-outs with drones and war planes.
Potential Targets

All Nigerians should be conscious because Boko Haram is out to kill anyone regardless of their status and religion. Potential targets by these animals include;

1. Security agencies
2. Social Joints
3. Churches
4. Public Gatherings
5. Prominent Government Parastatals
6. National and International Monuments

Historical Strongholds

Boko Haram seems to be strong in the North East especially Borno, Gombe, Bauchi and Yobe. They might want to falsely create the impression that they are strong in Adamawa and Jigawa although that cannot be ruled out but for now those four states are where they seem strongest. In the North West they are strong in Kano and Niger states but may also be able to strike in Plateau and Nasarawa. Based on this, the FCT is within their striking range and so cannot be ruled out. However, Zamfara, Sokoto, Kebbi and Taraba seem to be off their limits for now. Their presence in Kaduna is not very strong and they might be considering Jigawa as a potential hit or base. Christians living in any of the four BH strong states are at risk from attack and should be vigilant. Also residents of FCT, Niger, Kaduna, kano and Plateau need to be careful.

Mode of Operation

Boko Haram seems to function in two ways;

1. As a faceless group of coward terrorists

As a faceless group, they carry out co-ordinated surprise attacks against defenseless citizens striking at churches, markets, relaxation spots and government offices. They typically use suicide bomb attacks or hit and run gun attacks from motorcycles. The Christmas Day Bombings, gun attacks against Christians in Church in Yola and Bauchi and the UN building bombing are examples.

2. As a spineless group of militants

They would typically organize themselves into armed groups of scores of armed men with guns and bombs and attack targets often times shooting and killing people indiscriminately and burning houses, cars and attacking police stations etc. The last Kano attack, the Damaturu attacks on churches and co-ordinated attacks against soldiers on patrol in Maiduguri are examples.

Recommendations

Based on my analysis, these are my recommendations;

1. Government through the security agencies should round up their members and interrogate the lower rung members to obtain information about their operations
2. Identify and assassinate their sponsors and leaders. This works very well because terrorist groups operate on a one-to-many basis meaning that death of their leaders weakens their network and efficiency, their sponsors and leaders are cowards and don’t want to die, once they start dying, the tide begins to change.
3. Deploy soldiers to patrol areas where they have operated with so much impunity. Maiduguri is calmer today because of the efforts of JTF, instead they have shifted base to Chad and Cameroun from where they infiltrate our country and carry out their attacks.
4. Use airstrikes to attack their bases and hideouts. With our defence budget this year we should be able to buy a few drones and attack helicopters to deal with these animals. Israel deals with militants this way, Hamas is always scared of carrying out rocket attacks because of airstrikes that has killed many of their leaders in the past.
5. Citizens should go about their lawful business and shouldn’t fear Boko Haram. They need us to be scared for them to have any power over us. Just be vigilant and inform the police whenever you see something suspicious
6. Dialogue with them should not be an option, this will only embolden them and give them more reasons to carry out further attacks

The End
Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by jamace(m): 6:28am On Jan 27, 2012
Good analysis and sound recommendations.

It is left for the govt to tackle BH fire for fire instead of seeking negotiations.

I like the point that their leaders don't want to die so that they can enjoy the fruits of the struggle when materialised. That is the more reason govt should not spare any leader caught.
Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by mensdept: 6:34am On Jan 27, 2012
Wow, at first I thought you were talking about the Nigerian Government

paulipopo:

How to Tackle Terrorism in Nigeria: Part 1

Please accept my humble sympathies fellow Nigerians if you have been so unlucky to be at the receiving end of a demonic onslaught against innocent and defenseless citizens by a devilish Radical Islamist Sect called Boko Haram whose only mission seems to destroy the peace and harmony of the Nigerian state. I am not a security expert, but I’m sensible enough to read the hand writing on the wall and analyze a critical situation that must not be left unchecked. Just in case the federal government and other security agencies are looking for ideas on how to tackle the menace of terrorism, I’m freely offering advice here and hope it will be listened to or some of the ideas found useful. Even so this is my little contribution to national security so feel free to join in this discussion. Let us brainstorm and find ways to make Nigeria safer or where that is not possible for us to divide and go our separate ways in the most peaceful and progressive way possible although the true motive of Boko Haram is Political and I will explain this later under how to tackle terrorism.

Emerging as a radical fundamentalist Islamic sect in 2002 the group which at one time was dubbed the Nigerian Taliban for their similar ideological stand against anything western has certainly gone beyond its boundaries as a sect seeking to make their religious practices the order of the day in their musliim dominated Northern Nigeria. To my mind, just as the Taliban in Afghanistan used Islam as a tool to oppress and intimidate all manner of dissent and still promote global terrorism by harbouring al-qaeda just as Al-shabbab in Somalia that went as far as prescribing death sentences on Somali citizens caught watching football matches in the last world cup – South Africa 2010 – these groups will make life unbearable if they are given political power which is clearly what they want pretending instead to be out to purify Islam and make the purest form of Islamic practice through Sharia to be the order of the day.

From time in memorial this sect has said anything western is anti-Islamic and therefore devilish and should be destroyed. You will recall when in 2008/2009 without provocation this group suddenly attacked police stations across northern Nigeria, destroying properties and killing policemen for no just reason in states such as Bauchi, Borno, Gombe and Kano. The police responded by rounding up their members and summarily executing them. The world screamed blue murder, and we all agreed but come 2010, the group’s untouched members regrouped and have become more daring and dangerous killing anyone it hates and usually for the flimsiest of reasons. For instance killing a prominent politician – a governorship candidate of ANPP – who openly criticized them, a Muslim cleric was not spared either. A journalist with NTA and several other minor assassinations as well. Carrying out bomb blasts against Western Institutions such as the United Nations in Abuja and the Police head quarters in Abuja (after the IGP called Boko Haram a bunch of minor criminals who pose no real threat to national security), attacking relaxation joints such as suya joints, Mammy Markets in Barracks, churches and INEC offices.

What does Boko Haram really want?

From the way they operate it is quite clear they are ought to undermine the government of Nigeria by accomplishing the following;

1. Spread fear across the length and Breadth of Northern Nigeria especially among the political elite and gain relevance in the process. This is seen by the fact that they will assassinate anyone who publicly criticizes or offends them e.g foiled assassination attempt on Hafiz Ringim and assassination of ANPP governorship candidate in Borno State.

2. Turn the people against the Federal Government by undermining the efficiency of security agencies. They always brag about being able to strike whenever and wherever they want and claiming that they are stronger than our security agencies.

3. Trivialize national issues into religious crisis. Claiming that attacks against Christians are reprisals for killings and cannibalism against Muslims in Northern Nigeria. Yet they also killed a lot of Muslims in Kano recently and telling all Muslims living in the South to relocate to the North and Vice Versa or face death.

4. Promote anarchy by causing confusion and widespread panic. They have no clearly defined targets anywhere there is a public gathering is a potential target. Churches, relaxation spots, government offices, INEC and other government parastatals, Security agencies such as police, army, immigration and their base stations, Mammy Markets and sometimes attacking people by the roadside.

5. Gaining political leverage for their cause. Claiming that more deaths and carnage will be inflicted on Nigeria firstly implies that there will be potential breakdown of law and order leading to declaration of state of emergency and curfews which weakens the state governments further and drives more attention to their demands. This makes them seem more powerful than they really are.

Summary

Clearly nothing from what they want to achieve is Islamic, so trying to dialogue with them is a waste of time and they would only agree to do so if they are losing the battle for now they don’t seem to be and hence have turned down requests for dialogue and even amnesty. Therefore the battle is best handled in a Bosom-for-tat manner. Citizens should be security conscious and give useful information to the police even if we don’t like the police right now they are our friends at least compared to Boko Haram.

End of Part 1
Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by mensdept: 6:35am On Jan 27, 2012
Then I thought you were talking about ridding us of the corrupt government

paulipopo:

How to deal with them

Let’s see how the likes of Al-shabbab, Al-qaeda and the Taliban where dealt with to know how we can also handle Boko Haram. I personally believe we don’t need foreign help in dealing with them because we can crush them look at what Kenya is doing to Al-shabbab in Somalia and Kenya is not as developed as Nigeria although the Al-shabbab of Somalia is a conventional force unlike the faceless cowards in Nigeria.
Firstly, Al-qaeda is a much weaker terrorist group from its peak in 2001 when they carried out the 9/11 attacks, they have become a splintered group unable to function actively and effectively in their previous strongholds. Their

capacity to function was effected in three ways;

1. Breakdown their chain of command

After 9/11, America declared war on terrorism and set in place legislation and policies to curb them. One of such policies was to round up members of terrorist groups and interrogate them to obtain information about their operations. This information in turn was used in gaining insights into the leadership structure of al-qaeda. Terrorist groups usually suffer when their leaders are killed and Israel has demonstrated this against Hamas so the natural cause was find their leaders and sponsors, then kill them. Osama Bin laden was the financier and leader of al-qaeda using his personal resources to fund their operations his death would naturally make life difficult for the group that was why US special forces preferred to kill him rather than arrest him. 21 other al-qaeda leaders have been killed by US drones or American Marines in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.
With the Taliban it is a totally different approach. They are more of a militant group fighting for political survival and hence are not necessarily out to hurt US interests but they might consider doing so when they are more powerful. Now they are willing to enter dialogue with the US on how to bring an end to the armed conflict in Afghanistan something they were not willing to do in 2001 when they were still in charge but now they are weaker and so want to dialogue. With militant terrorist groups like Al-shabbab and the Taliban, military operations seem to be effective as they are usually limited in their ability to function and when the situation becomes unbearable for them will usually seek dialogue.

2. Stop their financing

For the Taliban, the opium trade was a major source of financing before they captured power and now that they are out, seems to be their best option since Osama their former ally is gone and his financing had also stopped coming freely. With poor financing they would be low on supplies and wouldn’t be able to pay the family of suicide bombers hence massive reduction in suicide bombing – almost always the suicide bombers are from poor families and the promises made to them are very attractive e.g secure future for the loved ones they will leave behind plus the promise of heavenly bliss.

3. Ideological and Psychological Warfare

People should realize that terrorism is actually a psychological weapon that hides behind an ideological objective as its aim and these objective(s) usually come as political and economic demands. For instance Boko Haram claims it wants to practice the purest form of Islam in Northern Nigeria, who do you think they would want to effect such a change? They of course, so indirectly they are making a demand for political control of Northern Nigeria just like Al-shabbab did in Somalia and the Taliban in Afghanistan except that their Ideological objective which cannot be achieved by dialogue or diplomacy must be achieved by using fear tactics (the psychological weapon) e.g suicide bombing, random killings against defenseless citizens, armed insurgency and so on.
Since terrorism involves using instruments of fear such as death and death threats to frighten the general population and turn it against government so that government can then give in to the terrorists then the right way to deal with them is to make their efforts fruitless by not giving into their demands. It’s like me beating up your child because I want your child to cry to you to look after my interests, any time you fail to give me what I want your child suffers, will you continue to meet my needs? That is stupidity and cowardice combined and no sane person yields to terrorists that is why most western governments don’t negotiate with them even in hostage situations and hi-jacking which were popular in the 60’s to 80’s. These tactics have failed them overtime and so the more fashionable thing to do these days is suicide bombing, armed insurgency and militancy all of which can be tackled effectively.

So to tackle Boko Haram do the exact opposite of what they really want you to do. Once you identify the real motive behind a terrorist act, do the exact opposite of what that act was supposed to achieve. For instance attacking and killing people in Kano because government refused to release their members means what they want is for government to stop targeting their members for arrests and prosecution. What should government do? Go after more members, arrest every one of them if it is possible and even assassinate their leaders these will turn the table against them.

Also note that terrorism thrives on exaggeration. The terrorists want to seem more powerful and dangerous than they really are so expect them to say things like “there will be more attacks”, or even giving ultimatums. Christians living in the North should stay where they are the only thing is they should be more vigilant and should form vigilante groups to protect themselves, running away only makes the terrorists smile.

Why is it that the leaders of terrorist groups are not willing to strap a bomb around them to commit suicide? Because they want to stay alive and rule, it is the foot soldiers - who have nothing to look forward to or have been brainwashed or both - that usually end up as suicide bombers, why did Osama not join in the 2001 9/11 operations if martyrdom is such a noble act? The same premise applies to all terrorist leaders, making them know that at anytime they could be killed reduces the chances of them sponsoring cowardly terrorist acts because they themselves are not willing to die. Israel does this by raiding their hide-outs with drones and war planes.
Potential Targets

All Nigerians should be conscious because Boko Haram is out to kill anyone regardless of their status and religion. Potential targets by these animals include;

1. Security agencies
2. Social Joints
3. Churches
4. Public Gatherings
5. Prominent Government Parastatals
6. National and International Monuments

Historical Strongholds

Boko Haram seems to be strong in the North East especially Borno, Gombe, Bauchi and Yobe. They might want to falsely create the impression that they are strong in Adamawa and Jigawa although that cannot be ruled out but for now those four states are where they seem strongest. In the North West they are strong in Kano and Niger states but may also be able to strike in Plateau and Nasarawa. Based on this, the FCT is within their striking range and so cannot be ruled out. However, Zamfara, Sokoto, Kebbi and Taraba seem to be off their limits for now. Their presence in Kaduna is not very strong and they might be considering Jigawa as a potential hit or base. Christians living in any of the four BH strong states are at risk from attack and should be vigilant. Also residents of FCT, Niger, Kaduna, kano and Plateau need to be careful.

Mode of Operation

Boko Haram seems to function in two ways;

1. As a faceless group of coward terrorists

As a faceless group, they carry out co-ordinated surprise attacks against defenseless citizens striking at churches, markets, relaxation spots and government offices. They typically use suicide bomb attacks or hit and run gun attacks from motorcycles. The Christmas Day Bombings, gun attacks against Christians in Church in Yola and Bauchi and the UN building bombing are examples.

2. As a spineless group of militants

They would typically organize themselves into armed groups of scores of armed men with guns and bombs and attack targets often times shooting and killing people indiscriminately and burning houses, cars and attacking police stations etc. The last Kano attack, the Damaturu attacks on churches and co-ordinated attacks against soldiers on patrol in Maiduguri are examples.

Recommendations

Based on my analysis, these are my recommendations;

1. Government through the security agencies should round up their members and interrogate the lower rung members to obtain information about their operations
2. Identify and assassinate their sponsors and leaders. This works very well because terrorist groups operate on a one-to-many basis meaning that death of their leaders weakens their network and efficiency, their sponsors and leaders are cowards and don’t want to die, once they start dying, the tide begins to change.
3. Deploy soldiers to patrol areas where they have operated with so much impunity. Maiduguri is calmer today because of the efforts of JTF, instead they have shifted base to Chad and Cameroun from where they infiltrate our country and carry out their attacks.
4. Use airstrikes to attack their bases and hideouts. With our defence budget this year we should be able to buy a few drones and attack helicopters to deal with these animals. Israel deals with militants this way, Hamas is always scared of carrying out rocket attacks because of airstrikes that has killed many of their leaders in the past.
5. Citizens should go about their lawful business and shouldn’t fear Boko Haram. They need us to be scared for them to have any power over us. Just be vigilant and inform the police whenever you see something suspicious
6. Dialogue with them should not be an option, this will only embolden them and give them more reasons to carry out further attacks

The End

Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by mensdept: 6:37am On Jan 27, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^But apparantly, another wasteful analysis that doesnt solve the fundamental issues that will prevent another group from doing the same thang
Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by paulipopo(m): 7:04am On Jan 27, 2012
Really mens dept, i guess you have something better to offer one that isn't 'wasteful'. Terrorism can never be eradicated and any educated mind knows dat. But it can be handled effectively dat is what this 'wasteful' analysis is emphasising. Hope you have some useful contributions of your own or are you all about dampening spirits?

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by Oshosam(m): 11:14pm On May 13, 2012
"I don't understand why all the adverts on anti-terrorism cannot be translated into Hausa/Fulani for the stakeholders (Boko Haramers) to understand. Do the advertisers think these guys are literate people? Abeg! Let's speak the language they understand! Bisi Olatilo or Akin Akindele should be consulted for the ANTI-TERRORISM ADVERTS" Visit http://naijagovernance..com to share your views on how we can improve Nigeria. Our Nigeria must be great again despite all odds. I love Nigeria and I mean it.
Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by Oshosam(m): 7:56am On Nov 09, 2012
BEYOND THE BOKO HARAM NEGOTIATION WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA
http://www.naijagovernance..com/
Re: How To Deal With Terrorism In Nigeria: Making Boko Haram A Scapegoat by koolnd: 10:38am On Nov 25, 2017
socio-economic implication of the boko haram insurgence in Nigeria 2009 to 2013

The Islamic sect Boko Haram has been a security challenge to Nigeria since at least 2009, but the group in 2011 expanded its terrorist attacks to include international targets. The Nigerian radical religious sect claimed responsibility for several attacks, including the bombing of the UN headquarters in Abuja on 26 August, 2011 which claimed 24 lives, their first attack on an international institution...

http://www.scharticles.com/socio-economic-implication-of-the-boko-haram-insurgence-in-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

All Boko Haram Suspects In Kuje Prison Have Escaped - Bashir Magashi / Cubana Chief Priest Campaigns For Sanwo Olu, Storms Campaign Ground / "I Don't Have Coronavirus" - Reno Omokri Does 20 Push Ups, Challenges Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.