Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,218 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43272 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by texazzpete(m): 6:10pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

well Im sorry that you are ashamed of your people

If you refuse to believe there's ANY TALENT in Nollywood, that's your own palava.

Stephanie Okekere could have easily been casted IMO. The girl is supposed to be Igbo and dark. How they came upo with Thandie for that description is beyond me.

If the part was meant for someone to play a witch, a dark women would have been chosen from the beginning

Why don't YOU provide the financing for the movie so you can be in a position to dictate who makes the cast?

People providing the moolah for this venture want tried and trusted actresses that can deliver and that can bring audiences to allow them recoup their investment and people are mentioning Nkiru Sylvanus here. na wa o!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Afam4eva(m): 6:12pm On Jan 30, 2012
I'm beginning to think that suggesting a nollywood actress will a a suicide for a hollywood movie.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Dele99: 6:16pm On Jan 30, 2012
Imagine sef people wey wear Brazilian hair,with lipstick and wey dey use skin toning cream dey still blame the director. The personal lifestyle of so many people here criticizing this dude reflects more of an oyibo wannabe than his action. I really want to know if the criticism means most of you will do something different if given the opportunity or you simply like to blame people.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Akintola11(m): 6:24pm On Jan 30, 2012
Experts Weekly: Boko Haram,

What are the key questions that must be answered about the poorly understood and violent Boko Haram?

http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/experts-weekly-boko-haram
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 30, 2012
What's the big deal?
At least he chose an African woman tongue.
(Tyler Perry has Kim Kardashian playing the role of a black woman. tongue tongue)

Just think of him putting Nigeria on the map and not be so harsh on Thandie. I'm
sure she'll be good for the role. smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by texazzpete(m): 6:48pm On Jan 30, 2012
Dele99:

Imagine sef people wey wear Brazilian hair,with lipstick and wey dey use skin toning cream dey still blame the director.

SPOT ON!!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Outstrip(f): 7:05pm On Jan 30, 2012
So you simply cast someone because they are igbo? Can't believe someone mentioned Oge Okoye. Please lets get serious
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by okeymadu(m): 7:05pm On Jan 30, 2012
I love this thread, because my company have an interest in the movie. This can be stopped. However, peeps here should give me a good excuse why the casting of Ms Newton is not good.

I mean concrete reasons that can be taken to convince a Bank not to put its money in the movie. you may email me on okeymadu@gmail.com

Make it brief (a page in MS word) please.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:10pm On Jan 30, 2012
MarcAnthony

Ive never had a problem with Igbo women. na YOU boys that I cant stand so stop yarning dust jare, now gerraway from my face  smiley

Outstrip, I believe I mentioned Stephanie Okekere.

To be honest, if once again Nigerians werent so daft, shouldnt this be a theatrical production in Nigeria?

Sarafina was a South African theatrical musical before they turned it into a movie and the ONLY person who wasnt South African was Whoopi Goldberg, The lead actress and everyone else was South African. why? because they fought for it but can Nigerians fight for anything?

You have Germans coming here trying you people like dogs and you still say yes sah.

Awon obo!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:18pm On Jan 30, 2012
I dont know why people are mentioining Hollywood?

It's a British production. wetin concern Hollywood? The fact that it's British sef makes the matter even worse. with all you yeye Nigerians that fill up the UK, you just sit there running after tram like goats, you dont even have coiurage?

anyway there's a petition by those who have common sense and many people have signed

Instead of arguing with me, either try to understand the problem, sign the petition or be quiet and make I hear word

as for those who are mentioning Oge and them, obviously you havent read the book. Infact I believe 90% of those yarning nonsense at me havent read it else you'd know that the women in the book are clearly mentioned to be dark

so please tell me how Oge, Rita and Thandie make any sense?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by infolpf: 8:21pm On Jan 30, 2012
@ OP -
Why Thadie Newton and not an Igbo woman?
Quite simply because she is an internationally renowned actress of African origin, not to mention a much better actress than just some unknown Igbo woman. The Producers are in the business of making MONEY through movies that will appeal to a large audience, not making movies for the sake of art.

Second part of your question-
No, I do not have a problem with it. It is called ACTING, and it is done the world over. Have you never watched a Nollywood movie with Genevieve playing the role of a yoruba girl, or Omotola playing an Igbo girl? Did that bother you? Its acting, sweetie, lighten up or dont go see it when it comes out.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by cheikh: 8:24pm On Jan 30, 2012
Pove
Collectively, people of sub-Saharan African descent have become passive in this continued genocide – the driving factors being commerce, industry and the all mighty dollar. Thus, people become blind to it in the name of social acceptance and mobility. The media is a major tool applied in conveying the social messages that influence the masses into these practices. Sure, a non-Igbo woman could play the role. But why does she have to be half white? Why is it that anytime Hollywood makes a movie about Africans they can’t be more authentic in their casting? What is wrong with the way non-mixed indigenous sub-Saharan African look that they can’t cast them to portray these parts?

@^^ Your observations and sentiments are on point. You'll also agree that us Africans have become active participants in the war of attrition and social Genocide against our own positive representation. Our women folk have made Indians and latin Americans very rich by their misguided and incessant consumption/demand for "human hair" pieces on African heads. That's self negation and since conquest of Africa, nothing have changed. We have acquired and developed all manner of self negating habits and representation for our selves as Africans. It's become automatic [/b]and [b]natural in many cases.

@Thief of Hearts

Your views and sentiments are on Point. We suffer from abject Inertia and debilitating ignorance that we cannot even affirm our own humanity even when we're given the opportunity to do so. Is the director not an African? Maybe they'll rationalise that Thandie is Zimbabwean albeit biracial of course sad wink.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 8:25pm On Jan 30, 2012
maybe the movie is being financed by south africa or somewhere like that, hence the decision.

thandie newton's movies tend to be sharply defined along colour lines, with blacks of course where they usually are at the top.

nigerian choices could have been sophie okonedo or the igbo lady who was in a movie with that white south african actress based in the US. Both names skip me for now.

they could also have used a new, upcoming actress and showcased new talent.

but na them sabi sha.

i only read the book once and cant really remember the whole story.

the movie could be for a white or foreign audience, not a nigerian one.

and the choice of a mixed lead actress could be because igbos are generally considered to be mixed.

although someone could be dark and still mixed sha, but that's not something most people consider, and especially not in most movies.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by eghost247(m): 8:28pm On Jan 30, 2012
who cares who they cast let them just do a good job
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by cheikh: 8:36pm On Jan 30, 2012
tpia@
and the choice of a mixed lead actress could be because igbos are generally considered to be mixed.

@^^ Is that myth or reality or your own uninformed prejudice/assumptions? How many Igbos are actually light complexioned let alone mixed/biracial? It's amazing how ignorance and gossip have become "fact" in the Nigerian sphere. Please, I am not being hostile nor attacking you wink.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by OneNaira6: 8:38pm On Jan 30, 2012
So what he casted Thadie Newton. mscheww, of what concern is to you? Thandie Newton is more renowned than any nollywood actress, no surprise there whom he chose. Did you see any tutsis complain when sophie okenedo was chosen in Hotel Rwanda.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by OneNaira6: 8:39pm On Jan 30, 2012
cheikh:

tpia@

@^^ Is that myth or reality or your own uninformed prejudice/assumptions? How many Igbos are actually light complexioned let alone mixed/biracial? It's amazing how ignorance and gossip have become "fact" in the Nigerian sphere. Please, I am not being hostile nor attacking you wink.

You should have left that be. We've constantly drilled it in her head, try to educate her about it but she would not listen.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 30, 2012
Chaiiii!!!

Igbo people, like any other people range in physical characteristics as well as complexion. [size=18pt]However, the majority of Igbos are dark brown in complexion.Igbo people do not look like the bi-racial Thandie Newton. [/size]Thandie Newton is an accomplished and talented actress in her own right. However, she is not Igbo, she is not Nigerian, and she does not physically resemble Igbo women in the slightest.

I hear otherwise on NL o.

Who should we be blaming for this? Bisi (the director) or Chichimande? Wait, we have a Nigerian Hollywood director? shocked
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by yoji: 8:41pm On Jan 30, 2012
I tot d job of actors is to adapt to a variety of roles. Thandie's performance in movies like: crash, purshuit of happyness, 2012, MI2, chronicles of riddick, W(about george bush where despite being british play condolesa rice) proves her diversity. Wit d kind of money being invested, nobody wanted to gamble. Thandie is a trusted hand considerin d investment.
Don cheadle(american) did a wonderful job in hotel rwanda
Forest whitaker(american) won an oscar playin idi amin of uganda
Antonio banderas(hispanic) played an arab in 13th warrior
Abeg in a globalised world, there's no room for sentiment, if d script is good and d actin on point wit good directin, the a solid movie can expected.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by cheikh: 8:55pm On Jan 30, 2012
@Thief of Hearts

It doesn't have to be an "Igbo" actress nor Naija either, so long that the representation of the characters are close to the storyline. Thandie is certainly off and cannot be the true representation of a "dark" complexioned Nigerian/African as the story portrayed.
"Anyway, who pays the piper calls the tune". The "market" or cinema house will decide whether it is a success or not.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tlops(m): 9:00pm On Jan 30, 2012
I haven't read the book,
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Chinom(m): 9:11pm On Jan 30, 2012
Who is Thandie newton ?. I don't really think i know her. But CHINWETALU EJIOFOR (Not chiwetel for me) is good enough for me. At least we have an IGBOman there. Looking forward to seeing the movie. The book was awesome.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 9:13pm On Jan 30, 2012
I would loooove genevieve nnaji to play olanna's twin sister. She would be PERFECT for the role. I can imagine her playing the aloof, chain smoking, smirking twin to the hilt.

Please cast directors (if you are reading) take note.  kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Wallie(m): 9:17pm On Jan 30, 2012
I don’t know if this has been said already but a major factor in determining who to cast has to do with market appeal. For movies to appeal to your average American or British crowds, it has to have a household name. Having a known name gives you instant credibility which is why A-list actors are paid obscene amount of money. The bottom line is that your name has to draw people into the theaters.

One is always free to vote with his or her wallet. If you don’t like the casting or how certain events are portrayed, do not watch the movie or better yet, pay your own director of choice to cast the movie the way you envisioned it. You cannot tell people how best to spend their money.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 9:20pm On Jan 30, 2012
Lol. I was gonna post but got sidetracked. Came back and everybody has something to say. Majority of which just echo my thoughts. I'm glad we're not all acting as if a freaking lyching took place. Petition! Hah! I hope Chiwetel gets replaced by Terrence Howard.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd like an accurate potrayal of things and I actually prefer a Nigerian cast. But this is not nearly as serious as all this brouhaha. Petition!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:26pm On Jan 30, 2012
Um at least Sopie Okendo is half Igbo. That would have made more sense.

No one has yet to tell me how a book that clearly states that the family/women they are focusing on are darkskinned can think Thandie is a great choice

so until you can explain how that makes sense to you people, ignore this thread instead of yarning dust
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 9:29pm On Jan 30, 2012
Kai, TOH is bored. She's enjoying herself. I'm going to drink zobo and sleep.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:30pm On Jan 30, 2012
cheikh:

Your views and sentiments are on Point. We suffer from abject Inertia and debilitating ignorance that we cannot even affirm our own humanity even when we're given the opportunity to do so. Is the director not an African? Maybe they'll rationalise that Thandie is Zimbabwean albeit biracial of course sad wink.

Thank you for understanding my point/your insight

The director is African.

That rationale doesnt make sense at all because Sophie Okendo is also half african and has as much "international acclaim" as Thandie. Sophie makes more sense since she's actually half Igbo unlike Thandie

However, While sophie would make more sense due to her hertiage, her color doesnt match the description of the women in the book.

Im sure if they had casted someone who looked like Alex Wek, Nigerians would have THEN had a problem. but Thandie is 'nice and light" so these brainwashed monkeys are fine.[quote][/quote]
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:31pm On Jan 30, 2012
vescucci:

Kai, TOH is bored. She's enjoying herself. I'm going to drink zobo and sleep.

um what exactly is your problem?

Must you reply?

Being a mod doesnt mean you must reply the thread, abi kini big deal?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nnenna1:

I would loooove genevieve nnaji to play olanna's twin sister. She would be PERFECT for the role. I can imagine her playing the aloof, chain smoking, smirking twin to the hilt.

Please cast directors (if you are reading) take note.  kiss

Lol I agree but if Olanna is played by Thandie, how can Genevieve be the twin sister? See why there would be a problem? Everyone in that family would have to be as light as Thandie which CONTRADICTS the book completely.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2012
Lol. Get a petition na. tongue

And what has being a mod got to do with anything? :/
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by texazzpete(m): 9:36pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Um at least Sopie Okendo is half Igbo. That would have made more sense.

No one has yet to tell me how a book that clearly states that the family/women they are focusing on are darkskinned can think Thandie is a great choice

so until you can explain how that makes sense to you people, ignore this thread instead of yarning dust

The book says Olanna had 'brown' skin, not DARK. There's a lot of leeway in 'brown'.

I find the idea of someone coming up with a petition on this matter to be pretty imbecilic if you ask me.  The key thing is that the excellent story penned down by Chimamanda Adichie be brought to life in a good way. Why should anyone really be losing sleep about whether a girl's skin is light brown or black? Why not go the whole nine yards and insist that the characters speak their lines in Igbo with English subtitles?

I don't expect a 100% match with the book. As long as the story is not thoroughly bastardised by the producers, i'm fine with that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / 33years Later: Do You Remember These People? / Mike Ezuruonye Rocks Bald Hair In 'Our Landlord' Movie (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.