Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43276 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:51pm On Jan 30, 2012
LOL

Provide the link
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 10:53pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nnenna1:

IMO she is overrated. The likes of Nkiru Sylvanus, Ini Edo and Oge Okoye are actually better actresses. Forget the whole "Mgbeke" label and ridiculous roles that they are associated with.

Regina Askia Acting:

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYF_-ByytqI[/flash]

Oge Okoye, Acting (Also see below for real and raw talent from a little girl)

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gljgeZqZLc[/flash]

Ini Edo

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1riy_ZChO70[/flash]

I think Nigerians tend to mix up qualities. Being polished is not the same as having talent - Except when it comes to Bimbo Akintola or Onyeka Onwenu, hehe.

As I said - Nigerian movie producers suck and their incompetence wastes a lot of talent.

Are you being facetious?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 10:54pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

You are comparing Tears In The Sun to a book based on a historical event in Nigeria

Good to know.

and Im sure there were plenty of Nigerians in it, to play the baboons in the jungle.  smiley

tears of the sun can't be any different to this half of a yellow sun. . .

tears of the sun was set in nigeria: muslim rebels executing igbo christians.
places like calabar, names like amaka, azuka, yakubu, etc were freely used.
how's it any different? tears of the sun was almost a biafran story.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:54pm On Jan 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Rotflmao!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

I remember Thandie Newton throwing a hissy fit when Jolie was cast as mariane pearl in a Might Heart. Never mind that Mariane Pearl herself who authored the book specifically pick Jolie.

Exactly. I wanna know how Thandie feels about this. To be honest, her best movie is that horrible Tyler Perry movie, For The Colored Girls.

Other than that, she's herself is just so-so
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:57pm On Jan 30, 2012
coogar:

tears of the sun can't be any different to this half of a yellow sun. . .

tears of the sun was set in nigeria: muslim rebels executing igbo christians.
places like calabar, names like amaka, azuka, yakubu, etc were freely used.
how's it any different? tears of the sun was almost a biafran story.

Perhaps some of us expect things to be completely different from 10 years ago? Is Tears In the sun based on a book by a Nigerian author? Never saw it, so I dont know. enlighten me smiley

Btw Tears In the Sun didnt do well, it also received 30% from critics smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:00pm On Jan 30, 2012
Link for those trying to tell me Im wrong about Kie Runner

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/22203443#.TycSx4F17sc
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 11:00pm On Jan 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Are you being facetious?  

Did you watch those clips? Are are you saying that Regina Askia is better than the others based on the videos?

coogar:

it's all about delivering quality acting devoid of sentiments. . .

so convenient to just scoop out a clip of regina askia at her bottom level. . . . .regina askia in her prime was in the early 90s not the bread n butter movies she did in the twilight of her acting career.

being polished takes precedence before talent when a nigerian actress is expected to star in a movie like "half of a yellow sun". the diction, how the words are expected to sound to be audible to the general audience is key. i really don't think ini edo, nkiru sylvanus or oge okoye have a grasp of pronouncing words.
the average american adult would have difficulty understand what these actresses are trying to say.

LMAO - ok Regina Askia at her "best:"

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENESepQG5JI[/flash]

"Mgbeke" Actresses at their worst
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyYDLU2ns-k[/flash]

Who is more convincing to you? Please be honest.

In all honesty though - the quality of film over the years in Nollywood has not shown much progress. Sad.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 11:03pm On Jan 30, 2012
Why do people make it seem like sing-songing in a polished accent and looking "classy" = talent?

They are not the same thing!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 11:05pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nnenna1:

[flash=400,400]

[flash=400,400]

In all honesty though - the quality of film over the years in Nollywood has not shown much progress. Sad.

i would rather have regina askia than the mgbekes. . . .
the mgbekes and their attempts to act posh is the nauseating thing for me.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 11:06pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nnenna1:

Did you watch those clips? Are are you saying that Regina Askia is better than the others based on the videos?

[flash=400,400]

[flash=400,400]

Ah! You are being facetious. . . of course!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Chinom(m): 11:07pm On Jan 30, 2012
@tpia, thanks for the picture. I really don't know her. Dat woman in the pic na oyibo woman na !!. Anyway, i'm not really a movie person. But i'm glad homeboy Chinwetalu would be in the movie. I would definitely be watching.
I like Regina askia though. There should no mention of Shan George here, abeg.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 11:08pm On Jan 30, 2012
Really? You all think that Regina Askia is better?

ROFL grin
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 11:12pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nnenna1:

Really? You all think that Regina Askia is better?

ROFL grin

to play a lead role in "half a yellow sun"? of course!
she would represent nollywood better than those other fuckwits.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 11:15pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Exactly. I wanna know how Thandie feels about this. To be honest, her best movie is that horrible Tyler Perry movie, For The Colored Girls.

Other than that, she's herself is just so-so

Gasps!!

Karma!! You watch Tyler Perry Movies??!!! shocked shocked

The world makes no sense to me anymore. embarassed tongue
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:21pm On Jan 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill abeg no ruin my immaculate cinephile reputation! angry

Only reason I watched that movie is because it's MORE of an Oprah production than it is that fat twit, Tyler Perry.

The fact that the movie ended up being horrible though made it a Tyler movie.

and keep in mind this was obtained from $1 RedBox. For someone who loves to watch movies in the theatre, you know I had no intention of spending money on his Bottom.

Nnenna, abeg Im not part of the deluded who thinks Regina is an "actress". she's in the same category of jennifer alba and all those other morons who are in film just to provide a pretty face.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jan 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Gasps!!

Karma!! You watch Tyler Perry Movies??!!!  shocked shocked

The world makes no sense to me anymore. embarassed  tongue
for colored girls will be seem as horrible if u are not a black african american female,was wondering what the fuss was all about till an 80yr old woman(my mother-in-law) sat me down and lectured me on their history and where that movie is coming from and P/S if tyler perry was that horrible,he wont be one of the highest earners in hollywood and note: HE IS BLACK
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 11:24pm On Jan 30, 2012
Actors and Actresses are not the problem with Nollywood. Rather it is the crew (directors, producers, script writers) who churn out utter crap.

I agree that Oge Okoye and the likes are mediocre - though I maintain that they are better performers than Regina Askia. Don't let nostalgia cloud your reasoning.

Here are some Nollywood actors who are world class in my opinion - regardless of whether they can pull off a nice British sounding Nigerian accent or not:

1. Pete Edochie
2. Olu Jacobs
3. Joke Silva
4. Onyeka Onwenu
5. Bimbo Akintola
7. Patience Ozokwor
8. Sam Dede
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:26pm On Jan 30, 2012
I'd add Mercy Johnson and Nse Ikpe to the list.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Breeze5000: 11:27pm On Jan 30, 2012
Very funny people. Regina Askia would be pleased for the love and strong support y'all showing her but to be serious. Regina Askia was never casted in the first place because of her acting Skills, but more for her beauty. People buy her movies not because she could act but because she is beautiful. This is the Truth from someone who knows,

The following people are light years away from Regina Askia in terms of acting
1.Genevieve
2.Mercy Johnson
3.Rita Dominic
4.Stella Damasus
5. Ini Edo
6. Funke Akindele

Okay enjoy your debates, and by the way Sophie Okonedo is not half Ibo, but half Edo, The name is Okon-EDO
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Breeze5000: 11:29pm On Jan 30, 2012
@ThiefOfHearts

Sophie Okonedo is not half Ibo but Edo. The name Okonedo is from Edo State  ,  A friend of mine (Edo)with the same surname told me they share the same linage
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 11:31pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Sisi_Kill abeg no ruin my immaculate cinephile reputation!  angry

Only reason I watched that movie is because it's MORE of an Oprah production than it is that fat twit, Tyler Perry.

The fact that the movie ended up being horrible though made it a Tyler movie.

and keep in mind this was obtained from $1 RedBox. For someone who loves to watch movies in the theatre, you know I had no intention of spending money on his Bottom.

Nnenna, abeg Im not part of the deluded who thinks Regina is an "actress". she's in the same category of jennifer alba and all those other morons who are in film just to provide a pretty face.

Bwahahahaha!! Suuuuuure Karma, Sure!!! cheesy

milehigh06:

for colored girls will be seem as horrible if u are not a black african american female,was wondering what the fuss was all about till an 80yr old woman(my mother-in-law) sat me down and lectured me on their history and where that movie is coming from

It's not about the Book, it's about Tyler Perry.

and P/S if tyler perry was that horrible,he wont be one of the highest earners in hollywood and note: HE IS BLACK
What we have here is a case of Hard stool vs diarrhea. If you had to pick, I'm sure you will pick the hard one, even though at the end of the day they are both Shite!!!!

Sorry to be crass but that's the only way to explain why Tyler Perry is. . .is!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 11:32pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nnenna1:

Actors and Actresses are not the problem with Nollywood. Rather it is the crew (directors, producers, script writers) who churn out utter crap.

I agree that Oge Okoye and the likes are mediocre - though I maintain that they are better performers than Regina Askia. Don't let nostalgia cloud your reasoning.

Here are some Nollywood actors who are world class in my opinion - regardless of whether they can pull off a nice British sounding Nigerian accent or not:

1. Pete Edochie
2. Olu Jacobs
3. Joke Silva
4. Onyeka Onwenu
5. Bimbo Akintola
7. Patience Ozokwor
8. Sam Dede

these names would be on my list too, they all have excellent dictions and the elocution is perfect!
you can leave a caucasian with these ones in the movie without having to re-pronounce what they have said. that is the key!

stephanie okereke and dakore egbsuon speak very well too.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:35pm On Jan 30, 2012
Dakore would have been an amazing choice for Olanna actually. smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 11:38pm On Jan 30, 2012
coogar:

these names would be on my list too, they all have excellent dictions and the elocution is perfect!
you can leave a caucasian with these ones in the movie without having to re-pronounce what they have said. that is the key!

I'll add Bimbo Akintola to the list but only after she's worked on her R = L problem.

Lirru for little,
Borru for bottle,

Apart from that minor pet peeve, she is a fantastic Actress.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:38pm On Jan 30, 2012
Breeze5000:

Very funny people. Regina Askia would be pleased for the love and strong support y'all showing her but to be serious. Regina Askia was never casted in the first place because of her acting Skills, but more for her beauty. People buy her movies not because she could act but because she is beautiful. This is the Truth from someone who knows,

The following people are light years away from Regina Askia in terms of acting
1.Genevieve
2.Mercy Johnson
3.Rita Dominic
4.Stella Damasus
5. Ini Edo
6. Funke Akindele

Okay enjoy your debates, and by the way Sophie Okonedo is not half Ibo, but half Edo,  The name is Okon-EDO

Thanks for the quick lesson. If indeed she's Edo, she still makes a better choice than Thandie based on being Nigerian and she has been nominated for several awards UNLIKE Thandie, this is of course if one had to choose the "african women most westerners are aware of/been exposed to"

I agree with your list and everything you said about Regina
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:40pm On Jan 30, 2012
coogar:

as much as we like to deny it most Nigerians dont have good diction. and isnt it best that the cast of movie based on that time in Nigerian history sound as close to the time period as they can?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Breeze5000: 11:42pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nnenna1:

1. Pete Edochie
2. Olu Jacobs
3. Joke Silva
4. Onyeka Onwenu
5. Bimbo Akintola
7. Patience Ozokwor
8. Sam Dede

Nnenna1  so true about Regina Askia, anyway you have an Impressive list, but I would put it this way.
1.Olu Jacobs (He is international anyway)
2. RMD (Richard Mofe Damijo)
3. Liz Benson
4. Edith Azu Jane
5. Genevieve Nnaji  (Yeap she is extremely good but needs good stories & directors to truly show her skills)
6. Joke Silver
7. Mercy Johnson (Raw talent at it's best, needs good stories and directors)
8. Bimbo Akintola
9.Sam Dede
10. Onyeka Owenu
11. Patience Ozokwu

Problem with Pete Edochie is, he has refused to play a different role apart from his normal Chief/Igwe roles so it's difficult to judge his skills. How would he fair playing a common thief/armed robber? Beard all shaved, etc  He would actually insult a director that would approach him for such roles and has actually said he wont shave his beard ,  so how can you judge such actor?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 11:43pm On Jan 30, 2012
Ah! It's unfair to dismiss Regina Askia's acting skills because of her beauty. She held her own very well with Liz Benson in Fortunes!!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 11:44pm On Jan 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Ah! It's unfair to dismiss Regina Askia's acting skills because of her beauty. She held her own very well with Liz Benson in Fortunes!!

you are a genius!
i was trying to remember that tv series since. . . . .you just brought it to me right now.
fortunes it was called. . . .lai asadele, liz benson, segun arinze, jt tom west, ramsey nouah and pat attah.
classic tv show. one of the best in naija if not the best.

ThiefOfHearts:

as much as we like to deny it most Nigerians dont have good diction. and isnt it best that the cast of movie based on that time in Nigerian history sound as close to the time period as they can?

at the expense of the audience? would that really wash?
unless they let them speak unadulterated igbo language and the ish is translated like "passion of the christ" where 90% of the cast were chosen deliberately because they could speak aramaic/hebrew!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:45pm On Jan 30, 2012
I would put Zack Orji over Pete Edochie IMO

Sisi_Kill abeg, Regina is a one trick pony
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Ndipe(m): 11:47pm On Jan 30, 2012
He who pays the piper dictates the tune, that's the truth in most cases.

If a foreign production company is paying for the rights of this book to be adapted into a movie, then they are at liberty to cast anybody that they deem fit, in this movie. Otherwise, Nollywood could finance this project also and cast a Nigerian actress to play the lead.

Lets stop raising a storm over a teacup.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:50pm On Jan 30, 2012
Ndipe:

He who pays the piper dictates the tune, that's the truth in most cases.

If a foreign production company is paying for the rights of this book to be adapted into a movie, then they are at liberty to cast anybody that they deem fit, in this movie. Otherwise, Nollywood could finance this project also and cast a Nigerian actress to play the lead.

Lets stop raising a storm over a teacup.

and why are you so sure the production company is "foreign"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / 33years Later: Do You Remember These People? / Mike Ezuruonye Rocks Bald Hair In 'Our Landlord' Movie (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.