Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked (3230 Views)

Supreme Court Of Nigeria Website Hacked!!! / Interswitch Website Hacked / Breaking: Nigeria Labour Congress Website Hacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Slyr0x: 4:17pm On Jan 27, 2012
In what appears to be the biggest attack on any Nigerian government web property ever, a hacker group named NaijaCyberHacktivists have hacked the website of the country’s Central Bank.

This recent attack follows the hacking of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) websites earlier today.

In a twitter update, the hacker group vowed that there will be more devastating attacks on the Nigerian government’s structures until the oppression of the looting class stops.

The attack occurred at 2:28pm (GMT +1) on Friday.

*This is a developing story*

*Check back for more updates*

http://techloy.com/2012/01/27/nigerias-central-bank-website-hacked/
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Slyr0x: 4:21pm On Jan 27, 2012
TechLoy got it wrong tho. . .It was DDOS/Shutdown NOT hacked. .2 different things entirely. .

According to their Twitter page,

AFTER the site was shutdown/DDOSed

Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Acidosis(m): 4:34pm On Jan 27, 2012
Poster are you sure you're not one of them? this is the 3rd post about hacking from, all from you.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by mcnepow(m): 4:36pm On Jan 27, 2012
Acidosis:

Poster are you sure you're not one of them? this is the 3rd post about hacking from, all from you.
Exactly d same tin i was thinking!
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by yawatide(f): 4:57pm On Jan 27, 2012
^^ Is it possible that OP has subscribed to a forum or mailing list or twitter feed that provides him with this info? #justSaying

Be that as it may, IMHO this bring up a bigger and perhaps more important question - why are there so many Nigerian sites in general subject to hacking? Is it the web host?

This is why I would advocate for an office of the webmaster (at federal and state, and if possible, local levels as well) that would among others, unify all government websites and website infrastructure. This would among others ensure uniformity, security and consistency. Right now, it seems as if the right hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. We definitely need a robust online strategy, that's for sure.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Slyr0x: 5:06pm On Jan 27, 2012
Acidosis:

If I don't know about all these things then I shouldn't be getting paid! I am an Infosec consultant and I need to know what's happening round-the-clock! Anything Information Security is my "specialty". .Just a question, How come Techloy(Loy Okezie) is always the one reporting about these events(is he a member too?) OR How come Beaf always jump on "Politics-related threads?". .Does that make him a member of Boko Haram/SSS/ even GEJ's Special adviser?  grin
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 27, 2012
Hey slyrox dont mind them. they are always looking for who to place their nose dirt on.

In btw, the cbn website is still up. Just checked it now. Naijacyberactivists dont fall my hand. I'm loving what you're doing.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Acidosis(m): 6:21pm On Jan 27, 2012
@dilluminati, I'm still watching you. I know you're my anti and also an anti-christ. But m praying for you that one day you'll change.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 27, 2012
@Acidosis that's quite harsh and uncalled for. just saying
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by DualCore1: 7:10pm On Jan 27, 2012
pc guru:

@Acidosis that's quite harsh and uncalled for. just saying

Bro chill, when you see thing like this. . . know we hit "homepage". Just as here be our house, they have a house too so its safe to say dem know themselves from house.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 27, 2012
oh we've hit homepage sweet, i get your point Dual Core. disregard my statement acidosis
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Slyr0x: 8:59pm On Jan 27, 2012
We never hit homepage yet o0. .
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by meltech(m): 9:09pm On Jan 27, 2012
Come let me employ u,
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by meltech(m): 9:12pm On Jan 27, 2012
Web boko haram's, They don't have work, just encouraging themselves, Mumu!
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by DualCore1: 8:16am On Jan 28, 2012
Slyr0x:

We never hit homepage yet o0. .
Then where are the visitors from grin
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Nobody: 8:58am On Jan 28, 2012
slyr0x, dont mind all these people jare - na because of frontpage them dey get access to our section - it is good to have them around sha.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by jmoore(m): 9:59am On Jan 28, 2012
these web toddlers that do not know the difference between hacking and denial of service. Naijahacktivist, una be small pikin
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by Koolwilly(m): 12:01pm On Jan 28, 2012
nice one
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by wazobiang: 10:11pm On Jan 29, 2012
The attack, if there was one, must be a very low grade and cheap one. Little or no damage was done. Usually in order to frustrate such attacks you can shut down your servers for some time and allow the attacker waste resources until compromised machines start slowing down because they cannot reach their destinations anymore and remove all unnecessary services/load for the time being to enable the server take on the barrage of requests. They seem to have done a good job of preparing against this annoyance.

Who gave naijahacktivists compromised army of machines to attack with. besides when you hack a website  you place a message for the world read as evidence. There was nothing like that. The website was simply slow to access at that point. Maybe they were even having some internal issues which is usual in any system maybe to forgot to warn their users on time or place a sign like "Under Maintenance" as is the practice. Now some idiots claim they have hacked the website. Idiots.

Some people are just looking for cheap contracts. If you check all .gov websites hosted in the US are under DOS attack because of the Megaupload, PIPA amd SOPA issue. Search here www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/

In fact when the CBN website came up (I am a regular user) it was very fast. Faster than before even. see here www.cbn.gov.ng .
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by donclemo(m): 7:06am On Jan 30, 2012
u Hack central bank u dey shout how much u collect from there , abeg make una go sleep , una wan hark una no know where atm machine dey
Re: Breaking: Nigeria’s Central Bank Website Hacked by mrperfect(m): 2:56pm On Jan 31, 2012
This isn't a pretty picture.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Locate Whogohost Cpanel / The Problems With Linda Ikeji's Blog / Free Nairalist Clone Script

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.