Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia (6922 Views)

Haiti Joins African Union / African Union Should Withdraw From Somalia- From A Somali / Mugabe At African Union: Let’s Stand Up To West (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by coldhearts(f): 5:12pm On Jan 30, 2012
Fact check: is it  really neocolonialism or are these people burying their head in the sand?

- us owes china, it is paying by attracting chinese to the us with faster visa processing and oil import, although, i think that slowed in 2011. africa is not doing any different
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/article/China-stakes-claim-to-S-Texas-oil-gas-858329.php
- australia has a mining boom, thanks to china, why wouldn't africa want that too.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-07-31/australia-s-mining-investment-boom-a-mixed-blessing-swan-says.html
- developed countries are making countless trips to china to secure deals with china but china comes to africa willingly
- lastly, we know it is not wise to fight a billion army strong so we would rather make peace

Some keep tossing the word colonialism around, by their logic, it is safe to say that most of the world is now colonized by china.
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by AfroBlue(m): 6:59pm On Jan 30, 2012
coldhearts:

@afro-blue,
why so blue?, it is simply a gift and i'm sure you have good manners and often say "thank you" when given a gift. 
I cant follow your train of thought in that write up, sorry.
I favor self reliance but i also favor cooperation with china (why- because this whole arrangement can be made to favor both sides greatly if done wisely)
what is the color of happiness again, is it yellow?- be afro-yellow ok  cheesy; on a second thought- the "blue" suits you better  cool

Fact check: is it  really neocolonialism or do we have a log in our eyes?

- us owes china trillions, it is paying by attracting chinese to the us with faster visa processing and oil importation, africa is not doing any different.
- Australia has a mining boom, thanks to china, why wouldn't africa want that.
- developed countries are making countless trips to china to secure deals with china but china comes to africa willingly
- lastly, we know it is not wise to fight a billion army strong so we would rather make peace and i hope we keep it that way, no need for us to prove a point

if this is neo colonialism, then it is safe to say that most of the world is colonized by china wink

I like to see a blue sky when I awaken in the morning, but let's stay on topic.
You can't follow my train of thought? How hard is it to comprehend that this repressive communist regime is not giving out free gifts out of the kindness of their hearts?

Yes, we agree on self reliance and forming equitable alliances but China is not playing fair. They rely on slavery like factory conditions and prison labor camps to manufacture products. One has to wonder how many of these products installed in the 
new AU building were produced in these slavery factories. Chinese workers have been committing suicides in protest and starting to mount movements which are quickly squashed by the military.

Happiness is freedom from the central banking cartels in the City of London, Belgium, and Switzerland which have most of the world locked up in debt slavery.

You can call me Afro Yellow if that tickles you fancy, but just don't call me late for my meal of egusi and pounded yam.  cheesy

Australia? This is an poor example to use for debating purposes, being that Aboriginal land was confiscated by the European cabal, and now China is trying to do the same thing in Africa by stealth . Yes, Australia has a mining boom but is suffering social problems as a result. Alcoholism, drug use and divorces are on the rise.

Fight a billion? No, just a few elite Euro families that run China and own most of the wealth in the world. And the U.S. just an bankrupt colony and is the global military police of this cabal.
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 30, 2012
News like this just serve to remind us of a stark reality: Africa is slipping into a second round of colonialism: An economic one. As China continues to project its power in such a nuanced manner, our leaders will foolishly welcome them with open arms the same way they welcomed the Europeans centuries back.

There is a big lesson that we Africans are yet to learn: Ultimate responsibility for our development lies solely with us. We cannot continue to depend on the Chinese for our developmental and infrastructural needs. As long as we neglect the basic ingredient of sustainable development i.e. home-grown technology, we will be forever dependent on foreign nations.
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2012
HNosegbe:

News like this just serve to remind us of a stark reality: Africa is slipping into a second round of colonialism: An economic one. As China continues to project its power in such a nuanced manner, our leaders will foolishly welcome them with open arms the same way they welcomed the Europeans centuries back.

There is a big lesson that we Africans are yet to learn: Ultimate responsibility for our development lies solely with us. We cannot continue to depend on the Chinese for our developmental and infrastructural needs. As long as we neglect the basic ingredient of sustainable development i.e. home-grown technology, we will be forever dependent on foreign nations.

Your thoughts are okay,but how do you get your economic freedom?If not for china ,do you think Africa will witness this kind of growth and hope in your life time.
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 30, 2012
@ olas2u,
Please don't get me wrong. I am not saying that we should eject the Chinese completely from our continent. My point is: In which continent can a body allow a building as symbolic as its headquarters to be built and "donated" by a foreign power? Its simply inconceivable that African leaders would accept such a "gift" without considering the nuanced message behind it: that we are now dependent on a foreign power even on an issue as fundamental as constructing such a strategically important building.

By all means, trade with China. By all means, let them invest. But don't ever become so dependent on them that you send a message to the rest of the world that you're incapable of doing even the most basic things for yourselves.
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 30, 2012
Its just the same way we say Nigeria shouldn't depend too much on oil revenues to fund development, and that our states should be creative in thinking up ways to exploit our resources. Shouldn't we, in like manner, aim to wean ourselves off our dependence on Chinese patronage and seek to grow our continent ourselves?
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by Horus(m): 1:59am On Jan 31, 2012
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t9kZd5gbXE[/flash]

African Union opens new HQ
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by coldhearts(f): 3:00am On Jan 31, 2012
@afro blue,
I can't change your opinion, like someone said that fbi mind of yours is working overtime smiley

Many Africans are grateful and like another person said here, we would not be seeing an economic boom without them. They didn't have to come but at this point, the two need each other from a strategic long term point of view. Right now, Chinas patronage is a good thing, love it or hate it.

You have too many distortions on china, china is not a communist country(that is a western myth, people hardly pay attention to what those ones say anymore cos they lie even to their own people without twitching grin). China is a mixed economy with capitalism staring at you.

There is no country in this world that is not repressive, whether it be usa, europe, east or west, even some african countries- stop being fooled by our over-zealous human rights organization.

At least chinese created jobs, the west capitalism system created useless welfare dependent people that are incapable of using their mind or brain aka worthless - the worst thing you can do is render a capable human being worthless like that. Not to worry, even their own people are waking up to a new reality.

anyway i tire  argue you sef smiley
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by AfroBlue(m): 6:10am On Jan 31, 2012
@coldhearts

Please don't tire. I like your ideas. Yes, I'm aware of their mixed economic model but fundamentally their government is authoritarian. Let's keep this ball rolling.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqsY9eB1HD4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage[/flash]

The image Microsoft doesn't want you to see: Too tired to stay awake, the Chinese workers earning just 34p an hour

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266643/Microsofts-Chinese-workforce-tired-stay-awake.html#ixzz1l0daPPZi

300 Chinese Foxconn Workers 'Threaten Mass Suicide' At XBox Plant, Reports Claim

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01/10/300-chinese-foxconn-workers-threaten-mass-suicide_n_1196345.html
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by paniki(m): 10:36am On Jan 31, 2012
Hail China
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by coldhearts(f): 9:36pm On Jan 31, 2012
@ afro-blue - in reply to your last video.

i never said china was perfect. No country is, so don't let the skewed media fool you.
you can analyze that video in many ways and decide for yourself who is to blame? how is it different or similar to the evil perils one experiences in or from other countries? i will leave that to you cos i know you are smart and will figure it out in your own time.
My answer in the simplest form is this - Every country has its own plus and minus.

The bottom line is that we live in world that begs for justice everywhere, even in the country you live in. I don't want to derail this thread too much so i have to stop here, have a happy life ok smiley.

p.s
here's a video for you in return, enjoy.
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/224042.html
Re: African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia by Horus(m): 3:44am On Feb 01, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Will Not Surrender - Gaddafi / Picture Of ISIS Militants After Challenging RUSSIA. / Emmanuel Macron Tests Positive For COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.