Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,810 members, 7,806,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage (4967 Views)

Help Me Understand This Bible Passage... / Christians,why Do You Always Ignore This Bible Verse / This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by bunmioguns(m): 11:57am On Jan 29, 2012
This passage is based on I
Corinthians 14: 34-37:
34 Let your women keep
silence in the churches: for it
is not permitted unto them to
speak; but they are
commanded to be under
obedience, as also saith the
law.
35 And if they will learn any
thing, let them ask their
husbands at home: for it is a
shame for women to speak in
the church.

Please who can give me clearer understanding of these Bible verses cos It keep confusing me Everyday
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by PastorKun(m): 12:36pm On Jan 29, 2012
The scripture is clear enough as it is even though most pentecostal churches choose to ignore it.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by BANGZKIRKO: 1:17pm On Jan 29, 2012
women at that tym where not allowed to speak in church. but the bible says in the last days God would pour out his spirit on the young, old, men and even women. so women speaking and even performing miracles is a sure sign that we are in the last days.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 29, 2012
they choose to follow other 'commandments of paul' but ignore this one.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by bunmioguns(m): 1:38pm On Jan 29, 2012
BANGZKIRKO:

women at that tym where not allowed to speak in church. but the bible says in the last days God would pour out his spirit on the young, old, men and even women. so women speaking and even performing miracles is a sure sign that we are in the last days.

Remember dt this particular passage is in d New Testament and not in d old Testament
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by bunmioguns(m): 1:43pm On Jan 29, 2012
Pastor Kun:

The scripture is clear enough as it is even though most pentecostal churches choose to ignore it.

This passage had always been giving me headache cos nowadays we see lots of women going out to establish Churches, and I ask, are they truly following d scriptures, cos if u shld read d verse 37, it says dt it is d commandment from d Lord
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by PastorKun(m): 2:16pm On Jan 29, 2012
The truth is that a lot of preachers pick and choose what is convenient for them from scripture and ignore what they don't like.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by LagosShia: 2:29pm On Jan 29, 2012
christianity confusionity for you!
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by PastorKun(m): 3:03pm On Jan 29, 2012
^^^
Even though there are confusions in christianity based on the misunderstanding of men it is still far better than Islam that was established through terrorism, spread through terrorism and still continues to breed terrorist till this day.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by LagosShia: 3:18pm On Jan 29, 2012
Pastor Kun:

^^^
Even though there are confusions in christianity based on the misunderstanding of men it is still far better than Islam that was established through terrorism, spread through terrorism and still continues to breed terrorist till this day.

i believe and that is what islam teaches me that there is no middle ground to truth.it is either what you are following is truth or falsehood.

i as a muslim believe islam is the ultimate and absolute truth of Almighty God on earth.while you christian is content with your falsehood because based on your blindness and ignorance it is better than someone religion.

and here is another confession by a "Pastor" that there are confusions in christianity.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by bunmioguns(m): 4:04pm On Jan 29, 2012
Pls am nt here to cause religious confusion cos am a confirmed Christian, but when I was just reading thru d Bible and saw d passage which seem a lil bit confusing, dt was why I decide to seek for ur opinions so dt u can put me thru. . . .pls lets stop all dis religious crisis cos dts wht is really destroying our nation today. . Thanks
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Judek2(m): 4:22pm On Jan 29, 2012
The issue of Paul on women is based on their mostly deceisive roles on the past kings and Prophets.
Starting from Adam.
Many Prophets and great of old, had under the scorn of women acted foolishly. Adam, king Ahab, Samson, Solomon, King David, Jacob, and our Father Abraham and the list goes wide.

So based on this,Paul urged the Church to make deceisions without involving the women who may discourage them,and make them act against the church.
You know women are charming grin ,they can make a man loose his morale,and sense of reasoning. lipsrsealed

Though some men acts like women at that, such men should keep silent also. undecided .

So women are ordered to instead of bringing confusion should keep silent and listen. tongue tongue tongue

NOTE: This is the decision of the early church in Corinth,maybe women were so intimidating and annoying,and so much complaints led to that decision.THEN.
And today,many things has changed, so should be applied if women are found wanting of morality and reasonable decisions.

THIS IS NOT A MUST LAW THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED. . Thats why we have the Holy Spirit as our guide without following any Law.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by bunmioguns(m): 5:13pm On Jan 29, 2012
@Judek, thanks alot, I think am really getting d real understanding nw. . . .
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 29, 2012
@Judek,

Your explanation has no basis. That passage is clear enough and it means what it says.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Image123(m): 6:34pm On Jan 29, 2012
bunmioguns:

@Judek, thanks alot, I think am really getting d real understanding nw. . . .
The express road to itching ears deception, renovated during the GEJ tenure?
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by bunmioguns(m): 7:36pm On Jan 29, 2012
Image123:

The express road to itching ears deception, renovated during the GEJ tenure?

Pls I didn't seem to get ur qst correctly, pls can u shed more light on it?
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Image123(m): 8:34pm On Jan 29, 2012
Bunmi, the passage is clear enough even with the kjv. You may check other versions if you please, the message is simple. Your confusion comes from the obvious disregard/disobedience by many present day christains, it's not a confusion from the passage. What judek2 wrote to which you immediately subscribed is a big load of garbage found no where near the Bible. His explanation is a poor attempt to rationalize many's disobedience, not an explanation of the Bible passage you quoted, Hence the phrase 'itching ears'.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by aurenflani: 9:07pm On Jan 29, 2012
Christians and their holy spirit alias holy ghost! you ppl never stop to amaze me. That verse is crystal clear. women are expected 2 keep mute inside d church yet someone is talking of lawless christianity & elusive spirit. Is it d spirit dat speaks to those pastors & reverends who solemnise marriage btw same sex individuals & also marry same sex themselves. homosexuality is also sanctioned by d holy spirit. beat that.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by aurenflani: 9:31pm On Jan 29, 2012
answ ur broda 1st. tell him what he should believe. corinthians 37 or lawlessness.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 29, 2012
Judek2:

The issue of Paul on women is based on their mostly deceisive roles on the past kings and Prophets.
Starting from Adam.
Many Prophets and great of old, had under the scorn of women acted foolishly. Adam, king Ahab, Samson, Solomon, King David, Jacob, and our Father Abraham and the list goes wide.

So based on this,Paul urged the Church to make deceisions without involving the women who may discourage them,and make them act against the church.
You know women are charming grin ,they can make a man loose his morale,and sense of reasoning. lipsrsealed

Though some men acts like women at that, such men should keep silent also. undecided .

So women are ordered to instead of bringing confusion should keep silent and listen. tongue tongue tongue

NOTE: This is the decision of the early church in Corinth,maybe women were so intimidating and annoying,and so much complaints led to that decision.THEN.
And today,many things has changed, so should be applied if women are found wanting of morality and reasonable decisions.

THIS IS NOT A MUST LAW THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED. . Thats why we have the Holy Spirit as our guide without following any Law.

Paul wasnt confused when he wrote that passage under the inspiration of the Holy spirit.

1 Like

Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by LagosShia: 9:59pm On Jan 29, 2012
davidylan:

Paul wasnt confused when he wrote that passage under the inspiration of the Holy spirit.

According to him personally,was Paul inspired or not inspired?

Yes He Was:
2 Timothy 3:16
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness".

No! He Was Not:
1 Corinthians 7:12
"But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away".

Romans 3:7
“But if the truth of God through my lie abounded unto his glory, why am I also still judged as a sinner?”

Philippians 1:18
“But what does it matter? Nothing matters except that, in one way or another, people are told the message about Christ, whether with honest or dishonest motives, and I’m happy about that. Yes, I will continue to be happy.”

2Corinthians 12:16
“But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile.“
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Image123(m): 11:07pm On Jan 29, 2012
These folks are such a virus aaargh.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by bunmioguns(m): 11:19pm On Jan 29, 2012
hmmm. . . . . . Am jst speechless cos I did nt expect dt dis cld turn to religious quarrel
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by tpia5: 12:06am On Jan 30, 2012
op

it always helps to read more than just any verses in question, if you're indeed a genuine enquirer.

here's the rest of that passage, and the context:

What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should[b] speak[/b], one at a time, and someone must interpret.

28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.

30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop.

31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged.

32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets.

33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.

35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

36 Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached?

37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command.

38 But if anyone ignores this, they will themselves be ignored.

39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

please note the context in which speak is used here.

as far as i'm concerned, to me personally its not necessarily a big issue, but i understand why others would be worried.

btw, didnt someone raise this topic previously?
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by tpia5: 12:26am On Jan 30, 2012
now, any chance of the thread getting back on track?
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Image123(m): 12:57am On Jan 30, 2012
"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." (1 Timothy 2:12).
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they wereare commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law." (1 Corinthians 14:34).
What a difference a tense can make.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Nobody: 1:09am On Jan 30, 2012
^^^ quick question. While i support the literal interpretation of that verse, i have often wondered how we reconcile that to the fact that prophetesses like Deborah once led the people of Israel. Any ideas?
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Image123(m): 2:41am On Jan 30, 2012
Such situations are one-offs, not common occurrences. It happens when there is no able man. Most times, there's always a able man, or ableR man than the woman to accomplish the task. God is never without a witness, still though, we do not box in the Lord of the sabbath when He seldom choose to move with a woman in LEADING His people.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by tpia5: 3:00am On Jan 30, 2012
if you check the footnotes [niv]for 1 tim 2:12, it says "or over her husband".

footnote for 1 tim 2:11 says "or wife"

so the context could be for a home base, ie outside the church gathering, generally speaking.

there's actually no specific mention of church assembly or church gathering in that particular chapter.

just saying, and doesnt mean i'm for or against.

like i said, i'm indifferent.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Nobody: 6:46am On Jan 30, 2012
To my understanding, Paul was adressing a perculiar situation in Corinth were women were not submissive.

Also the case of adorning themselves with Jewelry was addressed by Paul.

But scripture also says that in the last days, I will pour my spirit upon all flesh, my sons and Daughters shall ,
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Image123(m): 7:20am On Jan 30, 2012
tpia@:

if you check the footnotes [niv]for 1 tim 2:12, it says "or over her husband".

footnote for 1 tim 2:11 says "or wife"

so the context could be for a home base, ie outside the church gathering, generally speaking.

there's actually no specific mention of church assembly or church gathering in that particular chapter.

just saying, and doesnt mean i'm for or against.

like i said, i'm indifferent.

These are lame excuses, sorry. Did you check the 'footnotes(niv)' for 1Corinthians 14v34? All that 'or', 'could', 'generally' na beating around the forest. The two passages intertwine, complement and explain one another.
Re: Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage by Image123(m): 7:31am On Jan 30, 2012
East:

To my understanding, Paul was adressing a perculiar situation in Corinth were women were not submissive.

Also the case of adorning themselves with Jewelry was addressed by Paul.

But scripture also says that in the last days, I will pour my spirit upon all flesh, my sons and Daughters shall ,
East, this your understanding, any thing to validate it? i.e this 'peculiarity' of women not being submissive only IN corinth.
Leave adorning, let's still finish women TEACHING biko. And what's with God pouring His spirit on male and female, is it only for teaching men.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Will Muslims Go To Heaven? / Hilarious Church Advert: Bet9ja Must Favour My Family / The Battle Is Getting Interesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.