Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,727 members, 7,805,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? (22317 Views)

Ambode Visits Scene Of Hausa And Yoruba Fight Scene In Agiliti, Mile 12 - Photos / Why Does President Buhari Treat Shiites And Fulani Herdsmen Differently? premium / Buhari's Comment In Hausa And The True Translation ( No Blood Mentioned ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by peckhamboi: 9:49am On Jan 30, 2012
There is an argument about whether Hausas and Fulanis are the same people or not.

Are there any differences between them and which is more in Nigeria?

Is it true that Usman Dan Fodio, Buhari, Shagari, Yaradua, Atiku, Abacha, Ahmadu Bello, Dangote, Balewa, Sanusi Lamido are all Fulanis?
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Yujin(m): 4:13pm On Jan 30, 2012
The hausa & fulani people are not thesame people. Traditionally, they neither look alike nor do they practise thesame culture. Fulanis are mostly light-skinned, lanky with long hairs. Having mixed with some tribes, they equally have some members with pure negroe traits among them. Fulanis are traditionally disciplined people, hence, they excel in whatever they focus e.g Uthman dan fodio & jihad, Aliko dangote, Sanusi Lamido etc. Fulanis practice the "sharo" i.e the whipping of a suitor b4 his bride & is yet expected to keep his cool until the whipper gets tired, as part of marriage requirement. This aided monogamy amongst them. They are also brave & fearless as exemplified by their nomads who enter any forest, anywhere & anytime. This nomadic lifestyle spread them into virually all of west africa. They are extremely tolerant of the languages of other ppl around them leading to the suppression of theirs esp. in northern nig. by hausa. However, they rarely forgive when offended; always given to reprisalse.g the countless reprisals spread over the north are led by them. Hausas are less disciplined but good merchants. This helped spread them to some countries around nigeria. They are not known 4 bravery except for their women who can at times be daringe.g Queen Amina of Zazzau. Normally, they are easy going ppl but can be very cunning. They are typically intolerant to the languages of others around them & are highly conservative. Their marriage is less demanding hence, they are given to polygamy with high divorce rate.
Most of those you mentioned are actually fulanis, albeit now, through intermarriages, many are classified as hausa/fulani.
NB. Sometimes, the fulanis see themselves as superiors since they produce most of the emirs in the present north &/or are the vanguards of islam in nigeria.
Na gaishe kwu!

1 Like

Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by NegroNtns(m): 4:59pm On Jan 30, 2012
Is it true that Usman Dan Fodio, Buhari, Shagari, Yaradua, Atiku, Abacha, Ahmadu Bello, Dangote, Balewa, Sanusi Lamido are all Fulanis?

Abacha was Kanuri, born in Kano. Balewa was Hausa born in Bauchi.

1 Like

Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by karfe(m): 10:35pm On Jan 30, 2012
I guess its because it is so difficult to separate them that other Nigerians refer to them as Hausa-Fulani

For people like SLS, isn't there likely to be some Hausa blood in their veins?

I am not so sure Balewa was Hausa
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by cheikh: 11:11pm On Jan 30, 2012
@pechhamboi

The Fulani in Nigeria are powerful and assertive because they conquered the peaceful agrarian indigenes(Hausa) speaking people. Nowadays there is not much difference between the two inherently different ethnic groups. Islam is a religion they share and have in common since the conquest and pacification of the North by the Fulani led jihad of Uthman Dan Fodio. The Hausa are generally peaceful and tolerant hence it was relatively easy for the minority Fulani to over throw their leaders and install Fulani leadership or Chiefs in place of indigenous Hausa leadership. Polygamy is prevalent in pre-conquest Africa but Islam in the sahel region also gave it added legitimacy everywhere in consonant with traditional African customs in Hausa land. The Fulani being typically monogamous is because of their traditional life style- pastorial/nomadism. It is also cheaper and mobile for them to be monogamous not because they are more disciplined or not. They are vengeful and unforgiving because they can afford to be so amongst very tolerant, peaceful and laid back agrarian neighbours. They are not actually very aggressive nor domineering in other places in West Africa as they are in Northern Nigeria. I think that the overall peaceful nature of other Nigerians have been construed as laziness or cowardice by the Fula and it raises the mystic of the so called brave fulani in the Nigerian sphere quite unlike other places where they are looked down on or even discriminated against. I blame the middle-belt farmers for being unreasonably tolerant and fearful in their own land/farmlands being trespassed and destroyed by roaming fulani herdsmen. Physically, they are slim built or willowy and vary in complexion depending on which country they come from. The Hausa language is also spoken by the Fulani and majority indigenes. It is only natural that it is so, the fulani are the minority ethnic group. The Fulani are from somewhere else north west and West of Nigeria - Guinea, Niger, Mali and other places in West Africa. You can actually discern their origin/ethnicity from some of their names quite distinct from the Hausa. The eating or food habits of the Fulani depending on where they come from are quite distinct from typical indigenous Hausa eating habits/taste. The Fulani are predominantly business/trading people(nomads) whereas the Hausa are also traders and Farmers(sedentary). Their mode of dressing and embroidery, jewellery etc are quite different from the Hausa. There are more differences between the two groups. Inter-marriages have gone a long way in neutralising some very distinct differences between them culturally and physically, hence the constant annoying "Hausa/Fulani" terminology by other Nigerians, to group them together as if they are one and the same but for Islam(religion) for the majority of them. There are Christians amongst the two groups especially amongst the indigenous Hausa. There are animists/traditional religion amongst them too.

2 Likes

Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by NegroNtns(m): 12:58am On Jan 31, 2012

thats cos you are used to accepting any core North ruler as a Fulani. The thought of Balewa, a former ruler, being Hausa is foreign to you, but trust me. . . dude is core Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by NegroNtns(m): 1:00am On Jan 31, 2012

do you want to do blood trace? then every fulani is hausa and every hausa is fulani.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by sbeezy8: 1:37am On Jan 31, 2012
cheikh:

@pechhamboi

They are not actually very aggressive nor domineering in other places in West Africa as they are in Northern Nigeria. I think that the overall peaceful nature of other Nigerians have been construed as laziness or cowardice by the Fula and it raises the mystic of the so called brave fulani in the Nigerian sphere quite unlike other places where they are looked down on or even discriminated against.

I agree - Among other Islamic tribes/countries - (Wolof, Mandinka, Bariba, MandeTaureg etc in MaliSenegal Benin and even Niger etc)
Fulani are not aggressive because those tribes are Larger, More Aggressive and are muslim. So there is no banding under ISLAM against Christians or what ever like they do in Nigeria.

I also attribute it to education and development of Not only to middle belt and southern Nigerians but also Ghanaians.

When one examines clashes in Nigeria- southern/middlebelt Nigerians and ghanaians are about their business in terms of daily life, business, schools, hospitals. We dont have TIME to go back and for with fulani- If southerners/middle belter set aside their lives business and schools and went back to our barbaric way of living fulani will hate themselves!

But poorer islamic tribes in west africa DO and WILL which is why fulani dont go around fuckin with them.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by tpia5: 1:49am On Jan 31, 2012

you mean you cant tell who is fulani on this list?
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by sbeezy8: 2:02am On Jan 31, 2012
too add the Northern Ghanaian Muslims have been slaughtering fulani like chickens.

[size=13pt]Kokombas fight each other over Fulani property
[/size]

After killing and sacking Fulanis in Gushegu in the Northern Region, some Kokombas have turned the anger on each other fighting for the property left behind the fulanis.

Two communities- Jujong One and Jujong Two communities are fighting among each other and hastily amassing the wealth of the fulanis, Joy News' Tamale Correspondent Mahama Shaibu reported.

Last two weeks 13 Fulani herdsmen were killed and several others injured in a dawn attack in Gushegu which forced many of them to seek shelter and refuge at the Disabled Resource Centre, leaving their cattle and food stuff behind.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Omarbah: 2:34am On Jan 31, 2012
cheikh:

@pechhamboi
I think that the overall peaceful nature of other Nigerians have been construed as laziness or cowardice by the Fula and it raises the mystic of the so called brave fulani in the Nigerian sphere quite unlike other places where they are looked down on or even discriminated against.
This is a misconception. Many Nigerians believe that the peaceful nature of Hausa encouraged Fulani to take over Northern Nigeria. When the Fulani came to
Nigeria, many of them being Muslims, they were constantly attacked and discriminated against. Being generally skinny and looking physically inferior, they were taken for easy targets. Their cows were occasionally killed. Some of them had to flee Hausaland for their lives . The local administration also imposed heavy taxes on them. It is in this context that Usman Dan Fadio organized his fellow Fulani to conduct a Jiihaad that lasted many years. He himself did not fight, he only served as religious leader.
Now I have to say that the Jiihaad in Nigeria was not the first and only Jiihaad conducted by Fulani as it is believed by most Nigerians. The first one was Futa Toro in Senegal,Mali, Mauritania. They are the ones that facilitated the propagation of Islam in that region. The second one was in Futa Jaloon in Guinea. Both of them were Islamic Kingdom. The family of Usman Dan Fodio actually came from Futa Toro. Dan Fodio took example from these to establish an Islamic state.
You are right though to say in some countries they are discriminated by they are not looked down on. Other tribes usually blame them for feeling superiors to others and wanting to dominate all the time. For example in Senegal, many accused them of racism because they avoid intermarriages and want to have president as one of their own. In Guinea, they are accused of wanting to control the government after controlling the economy. They are also seen as crafty people that always look after their interests without caring for others.
But if you want to understand the violence of Fulani herdsmen you have to look upon their history. They have been beaten, killed, they saw their wealth being destroyed throughout history, not only in Nigeria but in all countries they reside. So they have developed this sense of disproportionate retaliation for even the slightest provocation.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Omarbah: 2:37am On Jan 31, 2012
sbeezy8:

too add the Northern Ghanaian Muslims have been slaughtering fulani like chickens.

[size=13pt]Kokombas fight each other over Fulani property
[/size]

After killing and sacking Fulanis in Gushegu in the Northern Region, some Kokombas have turned the anger on each other fighting for the property left behind the fulanis.

Two communities- Jujong One and Jujong Two communities are fighting among each other and hastily amassing the wealth of the fulanis, Joy News' Tamale Correspondent Mahama Shaibu reported.

Last two weeks 13 Fulani herdsmen were killed and several others injured in a dawn attack in Gushegu which forced many of them to seek shelter and refuge at the Disabled Resource Centre, leaving their cattle and food stuff behind.
When the Fulani start retaliating, people will accuse them of barbarian acts. This is exactly why they are so violent in this part of Africa.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by tpia5: 2:45am On Jan 31, 2012
So they have developed this sense of disproportionate retaliation for even the slightest provocation.

also an effect of a deeply entrenched nomadic lifestyle.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by DanKan0: 5:44am On Jan 31, 2012
in Nigeria theres not really any difference now. Maybe in some more rural places in Adamawa you can find 'pure fulani', but settled ones no difference really, 

[img]http://mathildasanthropologyblog.files./2008/06/fulanimap.jpg?w=500&h=326[/img]

fulanis are of course in many other countries. But Nigeria of course has huge population realtively so more of them would be here,
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by emofine2(f): 7:53am On Jan 31, 2012
This is pretty interesting. I'd definitely would like to read (more) responses from the aforementioned groups.

The term "Hausa Fulani" does not even exist in any other country not even neighbouring Niger so I've often wondered the implication of such in Nigeria. I understand the history, religion and even at times the marriages these two group share but I couldn't help thinking if such term was for political purposes as well. A relatively minority ethnic group merging with a majority ethnic group automatically becomes part of the majority and they can thus excercise much more clout.

peckhamboi:
Are there any differences between them and which is more in Nigeria?

Hausas number more than the Fulanis but no doubt the Fulanis have influenced politics and part of the religious composition of Nigeria.

Many Nigerians I know usually tag all Northerners as Hausa and that is lazy and premature and thus automatically renders them a greater population than they are. Yet these people complain that the census is rigged in favour of Hausa but don't bother to make the distinction themselves.
Most of the people on that list are Fulanis but some people fail or can't be bothered to make the distinction or perhaps just view them to be the same as Hausa - maybe due to the term "Hausa-Fulani". Even some people considered Abacha to be Hausa and his own people don't even have a shared identity with them.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Yujin(m): 4:18pm On Jan 31, 2012
So much for the fulanis, what about the hausas?
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Yujin(m): 4:19pm On Jan 31, 2012
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Omarbah: 12:00am On Feb 01, 2012
Yujin:

From what In know, Hausa moved from Nubia to install states in Northern Nigeria. And this way before Fulani came in the region. Their language is actually grouped as Afro-Asiatic while Fulfulde (Fulani native language) is grouped as Niger-Congo. The Hausa language is easier to speak compared to Fulfulde that is one of the reason why it is accepted by many Fulani living among them willingly adopt it even though they still identify themselves as Fulbe.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by magapagal: 2:27pm On Dec 02, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

Abacha was Kanuri, born in Kano. Balewa was Hausa born in Bauchi.

Tafawa Balewa is not hausa, even the name tafawa=stone~ while balewa=black.....
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by DerideGull(m): 2:50pm On Dec 02, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

thats cos you are used to accepting any core North ruler as a Fulani. The thought of Balewa, a former ruler, being Hausa is foreign to you, but trust me. . . dude is core Hausa.

The dude was not Hausa talk less of core Hausa. I guess dude was of a Bageri's father and Fulani's mother.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 02, 2013
Origin of Hausas' is Bayajidda While Funali are originated from Arabs(physical features and African history will prove that)
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Kingspin(m): 7:27pm On Dec 02, 2013
emöfine2: This is pretty interesting. I'd definitely would like to read (more) responses from the aforementioned groups.

The term "Hausa Fulani" does not even exist in any other country not even neighbouring Niger so I've often wondered the implication of such in Nigeria. I understand the history, religion and even at times the marriages these two group share but I couldn't help thinking if such term was for political purposes as well. A relatively minority ethnic group merging with a majority ethnic group automatically becomes part of the majority and they can thus excercise much more clout.

Hausas number more than the Fulanis but no doubt the Fulanis have influenced politics and part of the religious composition of Nigeria.

Many Nigerians I know usually tag all Northerners as Hausa and that is lazy and premature and thus automatically renders them a greater population than they are. Yet these people complain that the census is rigged in favour of Hausa but don't bother to make the distinction themselves.
Most of the people on that list are Fulanis but some people fail or can't be bothered to make the distinction or perhaps just view them to be the same as Hausa - maybe due to the term "Hausa-Fulani". Even some people considered Abacha to be Hausa and his own people don't even have a shared identity with them.
These Hausa-Fulani are largly muslims and, they strongly believe in brotherhood thing. So there togatherness and strength is found in their religion. You can see why they are over-religious.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Xfactoria: 7:44pm On Dec 02, 2013
In simple terms:

Fulanis are the Kings, Hausas are the followers/slaves!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Xfactoria: 7:49pm On Dec 02, 2013
karfe: I guess its because it is so difficult to separate them that other Nigerians refer to them as Hausa-Fulani

Balewa, SLS, Buhari, Shagari, Atiku, Yar'Adua, Ciroma, Ribadu....are all Fulanis!

Ever wondered why it was Atiku and not IBB that became northern consensus candidate in 2011? - the fulani connection. IBB is Gwari and Ciroma factored in the Fulani connection to prefer Atiku. When the push comes to the push they default to their inner caucus. Most of the northern elites of the 1st and 2nd republic are Fulanis because princes were the only ones compelled by their ruling families to go to school (notwithstanding that they often stop at grade II or diploma) and serve as examples to others.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by mike404(m): 7:55pm On Dec 02, 2013
SLAVE MASTERS THING
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by bokohalal(m): 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2013
X-factoria:

Balewa, SLS, Buhari, Shagari, Atiku, Yar'Adua, Ciroma, Ribadu....are all Fulanis!

Ever wondered why it was Atiku and not IBB that became northern consensus candidate in 2011? - the fulani connection. IBB is Gwari and Ciroma factored in the Fulani connection to prefer Atiku. When the push comes to the push they default to their inner caucus. Most of the northern elites of the 1st and 2nd republic are Fulanis because princes were the only ones compelled by their ruling families to go to school (notwithstanding that they often stop at grade II or diploma) and serve as examples to others.
Balewa and Ciroma are not Fulanis.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Xfactoria: 10:08pm On Dec 02, 2013
bokohalal:
Balewa and Ciroma are not Fulanis.

I am so sure they are! Ciroma in particular speaks Fufude which is the original language of the fulanis. Prove me wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by MeAboki(m): 7:00am On Dec 03, 2013
Omarbah:
When the Fulani start retaliating, people will accuse them of barbarian acts. This is exactly why they are so violent in this part of Africa.

You are quite right on the issue of retaliation, most of the time press reports fail to link Fulani reprisals with the initial provocation against them, which may have taken place a while back (sometimes even several years ago).
In view of this, they are often unfairly portrayed by the media as the initiating aggressors without even bothering to investigate their side of the story.

Considering that an average cow costs over 100k, it is not too difficult to reason why the Fulanis can themselves be victims of frequent attacks and killed for their cattle by native tribes; unfortunately as it often plays out, these native tribes usually underestimate or forget the retaliatory nature entrenched in Fulani culture - and eventually pay for it.

Therefore anybody wishing to cross the Fulani should know and be ready for payback. It usually doesn't even matter how long it takes, one thing is always assured; the Fulani will surely return for their pound of flesh - even if this duty were to be passed down to successive generations over the years, they will always exact their revenge.

I remember receiving the following text msg just after the Dogo Nahauwa massacre which aptly described some of the characteristics of the THE FULANI WARRIOR:

Never fight a war (hot or cold) with the Fulani, because they have:
1. No rules of engagement (they just hit)
2. No POW's (they don't take prisoners)
3. No mercy (once they pick out an enemy)
4. No fighting fatigue (they are forever fit and prepared, due to their lifestyle)
5. No need for adequate food and permanent abode (they live on very little and live in the wilderness)
6. No end to hostilities (they fight to finish)
7. No ignorance of terrain & location (their lifestyle makes them human GPS)
8. No deterrence due to casualties (they are strategically distributed all over West and Central Africa, and highly mobile)
9. No need for tranquility (they have no permanent settlements which need peace to thrive)
10. No communication problem once they distribute cola nuts to allies.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by donphilopus: 11:54pm On Jun 03, 2015
Can we know the difference? @ Lalasticlala, Seun, Ishilove and Obinoscopy!! Make we still know more about them. Thanks! cool
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 03, 2015
Where I go classify boko haram put?

2 Likes

Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by ComradeAbu(m): 11:57pm On Jun 03, 2015
The former starts with "H" while the latter starts with "F". My little contribution to ur argument.
Re: Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? by tpiander: 8:08pm On Aug 03, 2015
magapagal:

Tafawa Balewa is not hausa, even the name tafawa=stone~ while balewa=black.....

Tafawa sounds Arab or Hausa though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Chibok Girl Rescued With Baby (Photo) / Nothing Must Happen To Kukah, ECWA Warns / IPOB To Orji Kalu: If Nnamdi Kanu Is Harmed, You Will Be Held Responsible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.