Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System (1864 Views)

Backing Up Files While Formatting A System / How To Configure Outlook Express / "uncompacting" Outlook Express Messages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System by sabmack(m): 4:01pm On Oct 15, 2007
I want someone to tell me how I can backup and restore Outlook Express files before and after formating a system.
Re: Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System by Maleeq(m): 11:07am On Oct 16, 2007
Here:

- On the menu tab, go to File -> Export
- Under the Export, you have 2 options: Address book and Messages. If you want to save both, then you have to repeat the following steps for each.
- When you select one (either Address Book or Messages, a dialog pops up asking you to select the export format. Feel free to choose between the options provided. The options are:
- Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book
- Text File (Comma Separated Values)

- Select one and the click on the[b] "EXPORT"[/b] button.
- Enter or browse to a location where the export file would be saved to. Preferably, save it to a location off the drive/partition you want to format. Note that you HAVE to enter a file name of your choice for the export file.
- Click on the "Next" button and selected the fields you message/address book fields you want to save/export.
- Click on "Finish" when you are done.
- That's it, you have exported your outlook express files. Copy this file to a location off the drive you want to format.

- After formatting your drive, simply start Outlook express and this time, on the "File" menu, click on "Import"
- Select "Address Book" and/or "Messages"
- Next, browse to the location where the appropriate address book or Messages export file is located.
- Select it to finish the import/restoration process.
-That's it, you have you outlook express files back to the state before the format!
Re: Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System by sabmack(m): 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2007
@Maleeq

[quote][/quote]- On the menu tab, go to File -> Export
- Under the Export, you have 2 options: Address book and Messages. If you want to save both, then you have to repeat the following steps for each.
- When you select one (either Address Book or Messages, a dialog pops up asking you to select the export format. Feel free to choose between the options provided. The options are:
- Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book
- Text File (Comma Separated Values)

- Select one and the click on the "EXPORT" button.
- Enter or browse to a location where the export file would be saved to. Preferably, save it to a location off the drive/partition you want to format. Note that you HAVE to enter a file name of your choice for the export file.
- Click on the "Next" button and selected the fields you message/address book fields you want to save/export.
- Click on "Finish" when you are done.
- That's it, you have exported your outlook express files. Copy this file to a location off the drive you want to format.

- After formatting your drive, simply start Outlook express and this time, on the "File" menu, click on "Import"
- Select "Address Book" and/or "Messages"
- Next, browse to the location where the appropriate address book or Messages export file is located.
- Select it to finish the import/restoration process.
-That's it, you have you outlook express files back to the state before the format

@Maleeq

Sorry it didn't work. You are only allowed to export the messages in Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook and only the addresses to another folder and yet it didnt work.
Re: Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System by Maleeq(m): 9:40am On Oct 17, 2007
The previous steps worked for me. Well, try this steps. Though long, it would surely back up your files.

Step 1: [/b]Copy message files to a backup folder
[b]Step A:
Locate the Store folder
1. Start Outlook Express.
2. Click Tools, and then click Options.
3. On the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder.
4. In the Store Location dialog box, copy the store location.
5. Click Cancel, and then click Cancel again to close the dialog box.

Step B: Copy the contents of the Store folder
1. Click Start, click Run, press CTRL+V, and then click OK.
2. Select all files in the folder and copy it, then close the window

Step C: Create a backup folder
1. Create a new folder on your desktop or anywhere you want. Give it a name like "Mail Backup" or whatever.
2. Paste the contents you copied from the store folder into this new folder.

Step 2: Export the Address Book to a .csv file
Note: Make sure that you follow this step if you use multiple identities in Outlook Express because outlook express stores individual data for each identity.

1. Click File-> Export -> Address Book.
2. Click[b] "Text File (Comma Separated Values)"[/b], and then click Export.
3. Click Browse. Select the Mail Backup folder that you created.
4. In the File Name box, type "address book backup", and then click Save.
5. Click Next.
6. Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
7. Click OK, and then click Close.

RESTORATION PROCEDURE
N.B: To restore items when you use multiple identities in Outlook Express, you may have to re-create the identities before you follow these steps. Repeat each step as needed for each identity.

Step 1: Import messages from the backup folder
1. Click "File -> Import -> Messages"
2. In the Select an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 [/b]or [b]Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click[b] Next[/b].
3. Click Import mail from an OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then click OK.
4. Click Browse, and then click the Mail Backup folder you created,
5. Click OK, and then click[b] Next[/b].
6. Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.

Step 2: Import the Address Book file
1. Click "File -> Import -> Other Address Book"
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Import.
3. Click Browse. Select the Mail Backup folder you created, click the address book backup.csv file, and then click Open.
5. Click Next, and then click Finish.
6. Click OK, and then click Close.

This should work, unless you are doing it all wrong.
Re: Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System by sabmack(m): 7:51pm On Nov 01, 2007
@ Maleeq

I saw ur post today. Though I have solved the prb already, I want to thank you for ur assistance. Actually, i traced the stored messages into a hidden folder and I was able to view it through the folder option in control panel where i choose to view all hidden file.

I now copy out the database into a folder I created in the the second partition of my hard disk and was able to use the file part for the outlook express and it is working.

thanks all the same.
Re: Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System by Maleeq(m): 8:25am On Nov 02, 2007
No shakin!
Re: Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System by zlatan24(m): 8:44pm On Jun 07, 2011
The solution for given problem is program owning necessary capacities for recovering outlook express data. Current tool can demonstrate the results of working with damaged data - outlook express repair.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Network Two Systems? / Need U.s Vpn Urgently / Ideas Needed In Setting Up Neighbourhood Isp? (to Serve Up To 20 Houses)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.