Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,723 members, 7,805,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Catfish Farming Basics - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming Basics (3106 Views)

Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Catfish Farming: How To Carry Out A Successful Market Analysis / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catfish Farming Basics by Mashkov: 7:15pm On Feb 01, 2012
I have noticed with dismay how NL users try to take advantage of people's request for information to sell them information that should ordinarily be free and available. This site ought to be a repositorty of information and not otherwise.

Over the coming days, I will attempt to share my experiences on catfish farming with any interested forum user (Feasibilty study, setting up, sourcing good stock, water management, feed management, personnel management, marketing etc). Any other experienced and magnanimous user is welcome to share; all we need do is assist ourselves. Information is very key in everything. The success of any persons directly means the success of us as a people/society/nation.

Watch out!
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by Fhemmmy: 7:24pm On Feb 01, 2012
Nice thread and will be following . . . .
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by Mashkov: 7:38pm On Feb 02, 2012
The aquaculture industry in Nigeria has grown tremendously in past years with a reported production of farmed catfish of 143,207 MT. and some 20% growth per year.
This development has led to the emergence of a value chain of many stakeholders and players. An estimate of about 5,000 or more fish farmers, some 15 large fish hatcheries and more than 100 small to medium hatcheries as well as four quality fish feeds of local manufacture, some 12 imported quality fish feeds and an undocumented large number of small, artisanal fish feed producers. Equipment suppliers and consulting service providers have grown with fairly wide coverage in the different regions of the country, although most suppliers are focused in the SW, where the aquaculture industry began.

The 1ST Rule (Golden Rule) of Fish Farming, infact any busines is - Passion.

Before you commence on this wonderful business, you need to ask yourself, 'Do I have passion for this business?' - Answering this question honestly will shape and guide the decisions you are about to make.
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by Fhemmmy: 8:06pm On Feb 02, 2012
Loving your thread already . . . . . Keep them coming
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by NextHome(m): 5:46am On Feb 03, 2012
Subscribed!
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by Icon4s(m): 9:55am On Feb 03, 2012
@ poster .You are more than right about the issue of passion.That is the first thing in farming business.

I have a fish farm that I started barely a year ago. I have harvested twice now. The first set I made losses due to inexperience.However with the second set I just managed to break even, slightly above the operating cost.

I am planning on massive construction of ponds and expansion this year 'cos I've found out that the larger the farm, the higher the profit margin because some costs are fixed. Eg staff salaries, Cost of transporting oneselve to the farm, cost of servicing operations vehicle(I have one).
An increase in production when some factors of production have fixed costs reduces cost per unit of product and this enhances profit. So optimal production (not mass production) is the way out here. 'cos u have to also put ur market into perspective.

I also smoke the fish that don't attain good marketable size.eg 300-700g.
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by nigerfine: 2:21pm On Feb 03, 2012
a welcome development.speed up brother.
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by Fhemmmy: 3:27pm On Feb 03, 2012
Hmmmm . . . thanks for the knowledge shared
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by dgmegas(m): 4:17pm On Feb 03, 2012
@poster, what a good heart you have for the good pple of this country to have intiatated this thread in the first place in order to assist some of us who have interest in this sector, unlike most of such thread that some folks uses to sale their copy and paste info for their greediness. I just pray that you purpose is realized here. Keep up the good work and I trust that all the good minded pple will come up to support you for the benefit of all. God bless!
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by ayosat(m): 11:36am On Dec 25, 2012
Using this opportunity to wish everyone MERRY XMAS and prosperous NEW YEAR.
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by Fhemmmy: 11:59pm On Jan 01, 2013
I have tried the fish farming and like someone said up there, passion has to be the first key, but i have later realized that "No one could do it right for you except you do it yourself"
I am out of the business for now, but will surely be back into it . . .
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by ps5(m): 2:08pm On Apr 02, 2013
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by robonski15(m): 2:51pm On Apr 02, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1240657/hidden-truths-catfish-business..

All fish farmers or aspiring farmers should read this.. Thanks
Re: Catfish Farming Basics by ayosat(m): 2:26pm On Sep 22, 2016
Always get your seed right!.
We deal in the best seeds for profitable farm business.
Get your fingerlings / juveniles from us and you wont regret.
Call Ayo on 08035193433
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Your Advice On Piggery Business / Why Is Made In Nigeria Rice More Expensive? (photo) / New Jute Bags For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.